New menus and ***** !!!!!

trebork

The menu NEEDED and overhaul. Some of the dishes that were listed sound absolutely delicious. The Ports of Call section is something many people have been asking for forever. Local flavors from the ports we visit on the menus.

The only thing that I'm not convinced about is the family style concept. What's the point? What if I want pie and no one else does? Is the rest of the pie going to waste? No thanks. I see them getting rid of this part post haste.

Agreed with first part; more local cuisines would be welcomed. As to the second part, I would speculate family style for side dishes such as vegetables and starches. This would help to reduce waste. people can order the mains they want and not be wasting the side dishes. I hope that I am right in the thinking of how they would do that.

I've got no problem with them trying to save money on linens/laundry/side dishes if it translates into more diverse and good quality main dishes.

True. I don't recall a single high end contemporary restaurant I've been to having tablecloths.

I like that they are trying something new. Much to the dismay for the "I don't like change" peeps. :)

I was thinking the same thing! I invite many who are complaining to visit nyc. Many of the new contemporary upscale restaurants do not use table cloths. This thread has been amusing in reguards that people will complain about anything. God Help us all if they take the table cloths away.

Who cares about the tablecloths..It's not like their edible.

I care. I like 'cruise style dining', if I want land based style dining I will stay on land or cruise other lines. I am glad that my next 2 cruises will be on NCL and I won't eat NCL's table cloths...

It doesn't sound too terrible to me, to be quite honest.

Tablecloths are a thing of the past. No one noticed there are no tablecloths in the Steakhouse? I'm not too torn up about their demise. Modern contemporary upscale dining usually has no tablecloths.

The menu NEEDED and overhaul. Some of the dishes that were listed sound absolutely delicious. The Ports of Call section is something many people have been asking for forever. Local flavors from the ports we visit on the menus.

The only thing that I'm not convinced about is the family style concept. What's the point? What if I want pie and no one else does? Is the rest of the pie going to waste? No thanks. I see them getting rid of this part post haste.

Everything else looks interesting and I'm interested in the experience. Can't wait for pics and menus tomorrow.

The family portion is avaialble as well as single portions as usual. So don't fret. I think the family portion would be great when you and your family like a ceartin app.

The only things I see being a problem are 1). Bare tables are noise makers. Every piece of silverware, plate, glass, and setting will be heard. 2). The table cloth serves as protection to the surface of the table. You won't notice the wear and tear today but in 5 years those tables may look shabby.

The only things I see being a problem are 1). Bare tables are noise makers. Every piece of silverware, plate, glass, and setting will be heard. 2). The table cloth serves as protection to the surface of the table. You won't notice the wear and tear today but in 5 years those tables may look shabby.

Same thoughts here, especially no.1. Hopefully they will use some kind of place mat which will absorb some of the noise.

"Family Style" explained:

I simply means that if you are with your family and along with the individual appetisers you ordered you fancy something to “share” then you can and yes at bugger all extra charge.

Now if you are with a table of people you have just met that first night of the cruise then I doubt you will want to share anything straight away, especially if they are French. But…………….I know many of you love the tradition of making new friends at dinner and long may that continue. So by day three of the cruise you may decide to share a plate together but only if you wish.

That means on casual nights you can…………..or not………………share the following.

FRIED CALAMARI

Zesty tomato sauce, lemon aioli

FLATBREAD

Caramelized onions, mushrooms, ricotta cheese

KALE OR ROMAINE CAESAR SALAD

House made dressing, shaved Parmesan

We will appropriately size them based on how many guests order that particular one at the table and I will have a menu with all the appetisers and main courses etc soon

I will have an example of one of the menus tonight but thought it best that I clear this up. I think it’s a brilliant addition. Imagine, passing the Flatbread around the table, talking about the fun you had at the Punchliner comedy club last night while you wait for your appetizer of Seared Tuna with romesco vinaigrette and cucumber salad all while hoping nobody saw that just 35 minutes ago………………you ate a huge Guy Fieri burger.

If reading this has given you a extraordinary hunger then let me help diminish it by reminding you I am writing this in my underpants…………….that should help.

I still don't know if I like it. I'm really not one for "passing food around the table". What if someone takes more than their allotted portion? I just do not see the point.

Edited by TheTravelista

That's exactly what it sounds like.

For those mature enough to recall it was at Horn and Hardart's where the opening scene for Marlo Thomas as "That Girl" was filmed buying a bowl of hot water for a nickle and then pouring ketchup in it make tomato soup and eating the complimentary saltine crackers. It was Marlo's father, Danny Thomas, who lent his celebrity to St Jude's Children's Hospital and of course Carnival supports St. Jude Charities. The circle of life exemplified by Carnival!

Edited by sanmarcosman

"Family Style" explained:

I simply means that if you are with your family and along with the individual appetisers you ordered you fancy something to “share” then you can and yes at bugger all extra charge.

Now if you are with a table of people you have just met that first night of the cruise then I doubt you will want to share anything straight away, especially if they are French. But…………….I know many of you love the tradition of making new friends at dinner and long may that continue. So by day three of the cruise you may decide to share a plate together but only if you wish.

That means on casual nights you can…………..or not………………share the following.

FRIED CALAMARI

Zesty tomato sauce, lemon aioli

FLATBREAD

Caramelized onions, mushrooms, ricotta cheese

KALE OR ROMAINE CAESAR SALAD

House made dressing, shaved Parmesan

We will appropriately size them based on how many guests order that particular one at the table and I will have a menu with all the appetisers and main courses etc soon

I will have an example of one of the menus tonight but thought it best that I clear this up. I think it’s a brilliant addition. Imagine, passing the Flatbread around the table, talking about the fun you had at the Punchliner comedy club last night while you wait for your appetizer of Seared Tuna with romesco vinaigrette and cucumber salad all while hoping nobody saw that just 35 minutes ago………………you ate a huge Guy Fieri burger.

If reading this has given you a extraordinary hunger then let me help diminish it by reminding you I am writing this in my underpants…………….that should help.

I still don't know if I like it. I'm really not one for "passing food around the table". What if someone takes more than their allotted portion? I just do not see the point.

Why for an extra charge? And who didn't know what family style is?

To each there own, but I disagree.

I can eat at home with no tablecloth and all is good

but if I'm paying good money to eat out..no matter the location...I expect a certain standard.

Heck, even on our little kitchen table

my wife has a plastic table cloth that gets changed every so often!

I can appreciate the laundry load assoc. with table cloths.

It must be quite a pile, but if Carnival needed to cut any laundry pile

those silly towel animals that serve little purpose other than amusing women and children(Big Factor?)

they might ask cabins if they want/don't-need towel animals.

And then there's the acoustic factor.

Table cloths have got to mute a fair bit of DRD.

Dining Room Din.

It's going to be more noisy in there, without table cloths.

I don't like this change: I never thought it would matter

but table cloths do add a little class

and if it's one thing Carnival seriously needs.. is a touch of Class

-like their Serenity areas. And table cloths on MDR tables.

Edited by Aplmac

I'm relieved that things like tablecloths and other cruisers wearing jeans will have no effect on how I enjoy my meal! As long as I'm with my family, it tastes good, and I don't have to cook it or clean it up, I am good to go!

those silly towel animals that serve little purpose other than amusing women and children(Big Factor?)

:eek: NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Not the towel animals!!!! Anything but that :(

Heck, even on our little kitchen table

my wife has a plastic table cloth that gets changed every so often!

And then there's the acoustic factor.

Table cloths have got to mute a fair bit of DRD.

Dining Room Din.

It's going to be more noisy in there, without table cloths.

I don't like this change: I never thought it would matter

but table cloths do add a little class

and if it's one thing Carnival seriously needs.. is a touch of Class

-like their Serenity areas. And table cloths on MDR tables.

:eek: NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Not the towel animals!!!! Anything but that :(

I'm relieved that things like tablecloths and other cruisers wearing jeans will have no effect on how I enjoy my meal! As long as I'm with my family, it tastes good, and I don't have to cook it or clean it up, I am good to go!

We have come to realize that there are people out there that ignore aethetics, seen when we visit. No rugs, no paintings, no drapes or curtains, and no art, but usually the food is OK. Same as probably eating it anywhere.