Noro is alive & well on Legend

Would never go on a members cruise again! Too many people thinking they are special, lol!

How hysterical a statement -- and I get your point.

We may do it once in our lifetime, but for the near future, our choice of cruise needs to fit 'our time' and that probably would not coincide with the C&A member cruise calendar.

Was a great cruise for us! Would never go on a members cruise again! Too many people thinking they are special, lol!

I initially was looking to book that one because I miscalculated and thought it was after Thanksgiving. Thankfully my error was pointed out and we switched to the earlier one as at the time I didn't even realize it was a Member cruise. :eek:

Edited by PCWalton1

Just got off the Legend this morning. From what we were told by more then one crew member was that there were approx 95 guests and approx 45 crew sick. It was announced on day 9 that there were a few guests that had reported to the medical staff with gastrointestinal issues. We were told to wash our hands constantly while singing happy birthday twice! On day 11 self service in the WJ and other public areas ceased. Everything was handed to you and served to you by gloved staff. Salt & pepper shakers were removed from tables, ice cream machine was taken out of service for a day and completely cleaned, crew members were spraying and wiping everything down, even the slot machines. Cabin room doors and railings were constantly being wiped down. Those that were sick were quarantined to their rooms and put on a restricted diet via room service. We also learned how to identify rooms of sick passengers. There is a yellow 3 inch magnet placed above the door. This morning as we left our cabin we met our stateroom attendant dressed in a disposable white jump suit and a mask over his face. I had to return to our cabin for something we left and it was very obvious that some sort of disinfectant was being sprayed in the hallways and rooms. They were taking this very serious!

Yep saw our cabin attendant all garbed up in special suit for the cleaning process too. Also saw the yellow magnets on some doors. Heard that a few of the quarantined folks actually left their rooms, inconsiderate if you ask me. And there were probably others who were sick who never went to sick bay but kept moving about. Lots of coughing going on.

Other then hand washing and sanitizing to prevent illness I highly recommend taking vitamin D3 for boosting the immune system. A very large number of the population is deficient in vitamin D. Next time you have blood work ask to have it checked. DH and I take vitamin D every day and we rarely get sick. I firmly believe a healthy immune system will help prevent illness.

Edited by goldgirl2

Just got off the Legend this morning. From what we were told by more then one crew member was that there were approx 95 guests and approx 45 crew sick. It was announced on day 9 that there were a few guests that had reported to the medical staff with gastrointestinal issues. We were told to wash our hands constantly while singing happy birthday twice! On day 11 self service in the WJ and other public areas ceased. Everything was handed to you and served to you by gloved staff. Salt & pepper shakers were removed from tables, ice cream machine was taken out of service for a day and completely cleaned, crew members were spraying and wiping everything down, even the slot machines. Cabin room doors and railings were constantly being wiped down. Those that were sick were quarantined to their rooms and put on a restricted diet via room service. We also learned how to identify rooms of sick passengers. There is a yellow 3 inch magnet placed above the door. This morning as we left our cabin we met our stateroom attendant dressed in a disposable white jump suit and a mask over his face. I had to return to our cabin for something we left and it was very obvious that some sort of disinfectant was being sprayed in the hallways and rooms. They were taking this very serious!

I was a lucky guest that had to go to the Medical Clinic and examined by the doctor. Mandatory request because I had gotten sick. The ship's doctor told me that on day 8- 4% of the passengers had the virus and that is when the CDC procedures are put into place. I did not have the noro virus but she thinks I ate something in Guatemala while on a ships excursion on day 7. I go sick in the afternoon of day 8 had to go to the clinic at 4:00 after being examined by the nurse I had to see the doctor. Bottle of Pepto-Bismol. Her suggest was order room service and stay in my room and rest for the evening which I did. She called me about 7:00 to see how I was feeling. Those who did have the virus was given a shot and pills and quarantined. Day 9 stayed in my room most of the day and ate light. Watched what I ate the rest of the cruise.

They were taking this very serious!!!!

I was a lucky guest that had to go to the Medical Clinic and examined by the doctor. Mandatory request because I had gotten sick. The ship's doctor told me that on day 8- 4% of the passengers had the virus and that is when the CDC procedures are put into place. I did not have the noro virus but she thinks I ate something in Guatemala while on a ships excursion on day 7. I go sick in the afternoon of day 8 had to go to the clinic at 4:00 after being examined by the nurse I had to see the doctor. Bottle of Pepto-Bismol. Her suggest was order room service and stay in my room and rest for the evening which I did. She called me about 7:00 to see how I was feeling. Those who did have the virus was given a shot and pills and quarantined. Day 9 stayed in my room most of the day and ate light. Watched what I ate the rest of the cruise.

They were taking this very serious!!!!

I have wondered before if some of those ill were because of some "dodgy" food eaten ashore or from public restrooms. On excursions think we have encountered both. One reason I try to get excursions that don't involve lunch.

Although I was disappointed with the cruise and the ship for many other reasons, I did commend the crew for their response to the noro issue. We had no idea how widespread the "outbreak" was (ship officers would not respond to questions), but it was encouraging to see how quickly crew from all the ship departments were pulled into action to serve in the Windjammer and other areas. They closed non essential areas, such as the library. One evening there were over a dozen officers in dress blue uniforms helping out in the WJ. It was a little yucky to constantly have wet surfaces such as knobs and railings, but I guess that is better than the alternative. I'm sure determining the cause of upset tummies was complicated by folks such as myself who ate something ashore and had an issue, and the one sea day when many folks were feeling the motion of the ship. My only negative comment is that sometimes having the captain respond to rumors running around a ship would head off misinformation. There were several major issues on our cruise that really needed to be addressed by the Captain.

We leave on Legend Jan 3

Please share your issues

What happens on a prior cruise has very little effect on your future cruise. There could easily be another Noro outbreak between now and then. All it takes is for one or more of the passengers to carry it onboard when they get on the ship. It can quickly pass from one person to another.

Just ignore all the "horror stories" and take simple steps to avoid catching something like Noro.

- avoid eating/drinking things ashore in some 3rd world country

- wash your hands throughly often

- avoid touching common area things such as hand rails, elevator buttons, etc

- avoid touching your eyes/nose/mouth with your hands

- use the hand sterilizer liquid from the dispensers all over the ship

One other thing, take your Bonine to avoid getting seasick....

Edited by edjny

What happens on a prior cruise has very little effect on your future cruise. There could easily be another Noro outbreak between now and then. All it takes is for one or more of the passengers to carry it onboard when they get on the ship. It can quickly pass from one person to another.

Just ignore all the "horror stories" and take simple steps to avoid catching something like Noro.

- avoid eating/drinking things ashore in some 3rd world country

- wash your hands throughly often

- avoid touching common area things such as hand rails, elevator buttons, etc

- avoid touching your eyes/nose/mouth with your hands

- use the hand sterilizer liquid from the dispensers all over the ship

One other thing, take your Bonine to avoid getting seasick....

Nicely said!

CINSCT,

You have to have the attitude that things that happened on past cruises won't necessarily happen on yours. And, remember it is your cruise and it is what you make of it.

The norovirus, in my opinion, was the biggest issue on this cruise. Regardless of this, I still have to commend the Captain and crew for the manner in which they handled the illness situation. When you see the band members serving food in the windjammer you know that you surely have "all hands on deck."

There were a lot of rumors flying around at the start of this cruise. Not sure what if anything I heard was true or not. Don't like to play the rumors game and did not let the rumors affect my cruise.

Don't rely on what others say to determine the outcome of your cruise! Go and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by cecelia0613

Hmmmmm

I thought I asked about their issues

Not sanitation guidelines

Thanks though

"The Blues Make Me Sad"

I think this is more what you are looking for. I posted this last week about our cruise. We were on the westbound prior to this cruise. The issues are probably still the same just amplified since it was a C&A Member cruise.

My wife Marie and I were on the November 12 Legend cruise and speaking for myself I would agree with much that has been recently posted about the ship and crew. Cabins and general interior areas that were overhauled looked good but there was many customer facing areas that just seemed neglected. As has been mentioned wooden railings lacked recent varnish in areas and there was some running rust. But I think what I found unusual about that was I did not once during the 15 days see anyone working on that. I realize to some those may be minor issues but a lack of routine maintenance on the above deck areas makes me wonder about the overall maintenance routines on the ship.

As far as staff, in the middle management areas the word "no" seem to be the automatic reply. I mentioned on a different message string that the word I would use to describe the crew was disjointed and that seem to still fit. Some did not seems to work well with others. Seeing crew arguments in front of passenger such as in Windjammer was surprising.

That is not to say there were not some stellar performers onboard. Our cabin attendant Dennis Garcia was a dream who anticipated our every need and once we got the mess with MTD settled out our wait staff Joselito and Vashel were great, very warm and friendly duo.

For Marie and I this was our first ever cruise through the Panama Canal and central America so it did not really detrack from our experience. We still had a fabulous time.

We have only been on seven ships but of those, we would only ride this one again if it was the only way to a specific itinerary.

Hopefully now that Legend is back in this part of the world with many more passengers from the U.S. riding, these types of issues will no longer be overlooked.

We had Captain Claus on Radiance when we had a Noro outbreak Sept/11 and every day he gave us an update on the numbers of new cases etc. It was nice to be informed. We were impressed with how they handled getting it under control.

Hmmmmm

I thought I asked about their issues

Not sanitation guidelines

Thanks though

"The Blues Make Me Sad"

The subject in this thread is NORO on the Legend. If you want other information about the Legend, start a new topic....

Hopefully now that Legend is back in this part of the world with many more passengers from the U.S. riding, these types of issues will no longer be overlooked.

Curious as to what you mean by this :confused:

The alcohol based hand sanitizers found throughout the ship are considered ineffective against the virus. If anything' date=' they provide a false sense of security that likely lead to further spreading.[/quote']

This link takes you to a list of the EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Norovirus. I don't really know what kind of hand sanitizer they use on the ship. Hopefully it is one of the types listed in this report.

This link takes you to a list of the EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Norovirus. I don't really know what kind of hand sanitizer they use on the ship. Hopefully it is one of the types listed in this report.

You must remember that the EPA and the CDC/USPH have different objectives. The EPA list you linked is for essentially commercial disinfectants that ARE effective against NORO, as I recognize VIRCON as the agent we used at NCL to fog and clean hard surfaces. These products are effective against NORO when used as directed in the strength indicated, not watered down into a hand sanitizer. Most of these agents use bleach, which would not be acceptable in a hand sanitizer.

CDC has several reports on their website that the hand sanitizers in use today are not effective against NORO, but are useful as an adjunct to hand washing.

Remember, hand washing does not kill NORO, it just flushes it off your skin, and allows it to flow down the drain. The sanitizing agents that the ships use to sanitize are way too harsh for use on hands. We use gloves and masks when applying this stuff.

Curious as to what you mean by this :confused:

Just the clientele (and I group myself in there :o) that will now be traveling on Legend are more vocal to the front office so the issues mentioned may be looked at more thoroughly. Or it won't make any difference, that is just my opinion. :)

I'm always amazed by these replies.. who hangs out in a public restroom long enough to see "the amount of people" which implies a large number of folks. I would be more concerned about someone who would hang around a public restroom long enough to see an 'amount' of people.

If you follow the established protocol of washing hands for a full 60 seconds after using the bathroom, it's not uncommon to see more than one person leave a stall and exit the bathroom without washing their hands. Personally, I have no problem calling them out on it with a simple, "Are you forgetting something?" I'd rather shame them into washing and be perceived as a rude person than get noro because they are a pig.