Maybe table clothes will be back.....

kona_wahine

Honest question - are they using Bev naps under drinks? I can imagine they are getting a lot of complaints about the lack of table clothes on board if they are not using bev naps since the drinks will then slide all over the table as the ship moves. I can easily envision a lot of spilled drink in this scenario.

Honest question - are they using Bev naps under drinks? I can imagine they are getting a lot of complaints about the lack of table clothes on board if they are not using bev naps since the drinks will then slide all over the table as the ship moves. I can easily envision a lot of spilled drink in this scenario.

You must have missed the newest change - no more glassware. All replaced by the Big Red Cup with a rubber bottom.

Change is just hard for people to accept, but the casual change is here to stay so everyone needs to get used to it. No doubt the other cruise lines will soon follow suit. (just like RCCL banning smoking on balconies, other lines will soon follow)

Princess banned smoking on balconies as well. When Carnival decides to join the other cruse lines in banning smoking on balconies, then I'll be back cruising with Carnival. Meanwhile, Carnival is on my banned cruise lines list.

Edited by elliair

I don't understand why people are so up in arms about this? I actually don't think that this was a bad move seeing as society in general is becoming laid back and casual. The only complaint I have about it is the fact that the tables dont seem to be integrated into the overall color scheme of the MDR. If better integrated this new concept has unlimited potential. Like this:

8810418515_062c82b4c5.jpg

8821005388_d070e7002c.jpg

I don't understand why people are so up in arms about this? I actually don't think that this was a bad move seeing as society in general is becoming laid back and casual. The only complaint I have about it is the fact that the tables dont seem to be integrated into the overall color scheme of the MDR. If better integrated this new concept has unlimited potential. Like this:

8810418515_062c82b4c5.jpg

8821005388_d070e7002c.jpg

Looks like dining in the hallway. A new low, even for Carnival.

Why is it an issue? Because people are tired of cut back after cut back and are finally drawing a lign to stand behind. Enough is enough. I think it is half table cloth and half people fed up with cutbacks

I agree with your take on this!

When I first read about no tablecloths on the Glory, my initial reaction was, "Here we go again--yet another cutback."

It's not that tablecloths (or lack thereof) will make or break my cruise vacation, but over the last few years Carnival has whittled away so many of the things that had made the line one of the best values for your money in cruise vacationing. They have eliminated enough of the things that I loved (live bands on the pool deck, good piano bar singers, several MDR menu items, better quality buffet items--especially at lunch) that in the last two years, I have sailed 2 Princess cruises, 1 Celebrity cruise with another booked in March of 2014, and one NCL cruise, when I'd have otherwise booked on Carnival.

Maybe they are not much worried that they have lost some of my business, as I am sure there are plenty of newer cruisers ready to take my place, but I would think that any business would want to generate new customers AND retain longtime customers (I have 14 cruises on Carnival). Just my .02.

Edited by alreadypacked

They should've re-implemented the fuel surcharge two years ago and likely none of these cutbacks would have taken place.

In retrospect, I wouldn't have minded them reinstating the fuel surcharge in order to avoid cutbacks. By booking on Princess, Celebrity etc., I have likely incurred more cost than what any fuel surcharge would have been.

They should've re-implemented the fuel surcharge two years ago and likely none of these cutbacks would have taken place.

It would be a bad idea. Many people would think twice about taking a cruise.

I would rather they cut a few things then a fuel surcharge per person.

I dont care if Table cloths are there or not.

Edited by limoguy1

geez people the table cloths are not a cut!! have you seen the new table tops.. they must cost alot more than a few dang table cloths!!!!!

Would removing the table cloths from the MDR save CCL money? You bet it would.

What are they going to do with that money? DO you think they will a) improve other things on the ship b) offer more activities or c) pocket it and laugh all the way to the bank at the people who actually believed they did this to 'modernize'

Hard to believe that some of you can get so wound up over a stupid tablecloth. The casual night dining has gotten more and more casual over the years. Now a large portion of folks (myself included) were shorts on casual nights. This change is merely reflecting the change that has already happened. Cruise dining is casual.

On elegant nights the mood changes to a little more dressy (khakis and polo for me) and the dining area reflects that change with tablecloths and more elegant menu.

Change is just hard for people to accept, but the casual change is here to stay so everyone needs to get used to it. No doubt the other cruise lines will soon follow suit. (just like RCCL banning smoking on balconies, other lines will soon follow)

My kitchen is casual, but I use a tablecloth. Just a personal preference for some of us who like tablecloths - we like the way it looks and feels.

Edited by mek

Would removing the table cloths from the MDR save CCL money? You bet it would.

What are they going to do with that money? DO you think they will a) improve other things on the ship b) offer more activities or c) pocket it and laugh all the way to the bank at the people who actually believed they did this to 'modernize'

Have you seen the new table they will be using when the new menus go fleet wide.. It's not the current tables they get brand new ones that probably are not cheap

IMHO .. Didn't read this thread thru, but read others on this topic.... I think table cloths are very old fashioned ... High end , modern restaurants do not use them, it is a thing of the past....Changes happen. This helps with so many costs & environmental waste.... Have no problem with this even on elegant nites

Have you seen the new table they will be using when the new menus go fleet wide.. It's not the current tables they get brand new ones that probably are not cheap

I haven't seen anything to say the tables are all new. I would suspect they are just resurfacing the current tables on the ships. Way, way cheaper that way. Even if they are buying new tables - the savings in water, detergent and power (fuel) will quickly add up and the tables would pay for themselves over time.

I haven't seen anything to say the tables are all new. I would suspect they are just resurfacing the current tables on the ships. Way, way cheaper that way. Even if they are buying new tables - the savings in water, detergent and power (fuel) will quickly add up and the tables would pay for themselves over time.

That would be slightly offset by now having to whipe the table with water and some kind of chemical plus repairing small Knicks and scratches

The old tables couldn't be used without a tablecloth because they are cheap cardboard like tables... If u take a cruise soon before they switch take a sneak peak under the table .. Looks nothing like the new fancy tables they are switching to

I think it's a great move to get rid of table cloths on the cruise casual nights. They were much too formal to begin with. Cruise Casual is the equivalent of going to a casual restaurant on shore; TGI Fridays, Applebees, etc, so the ships are just adjusting to what everyone is already doing.

That would be slightly offset by now having to whipe the table with water and some kind of chemical plus repairing small Knicks and scratches

The old tables couldn't be used without a tablecloth because they are cheap cardboard like tables... If u take a cruise soon before they switch take a sneak peak under the table .. Looks nothing like the new fancy tables they are switching to

The Magic's tables are normal tables ( I believe) with a padding glued to the top. I did look week before last....before this horrid announcement.