Very last minute booking??

LynnTTT

We have been on several Caribbean cruises and want to go on another in early/mid February. We live within a day's drive of the Florida ports and can do this last minute if we want to.

In addition, we really don't care much about the itinerary.

We do have a few companies we prefer: Celebrity/ RC/Holland America and Princess.

When is it too late? I've heard that you need to sign up a week ahead, but on a transatlantic cruise I talked to a guy from Miami who swore he got a fabulous deal only a few days ahead.

Should I wait till mid-January and then call up the individual cruise companies or sign up on the internet with one of the many "discount/cheap/late" companies? I figure I may be able to bargain on the phone, but maybe not.

We have booked two days before and about two years ago got a cabin that had just been canceled for the next day - on Costa. (The Costa agent told me she had been telling TAs all day there were no cabins available, ship was full, but ours just turned up!)

Ships want to sell ALL their cabins so don't have a can't book time or day.

Edited by Bonnie J.

I would recommed siging up for the last minute deals notifications on each cruiseline's website, and booking direct from the cruiseline as well. When the fares have been cut as low as they do for cruises that are not sold out 2 or 3 weeks before sailing it is very unlikely you will get any extra discounts or perks from a TA whose commission on such low fares barely covers their overhead.

I know Princess allows online bookings up to 2 business days before sailing, but I believe HAL cuts them off a day or so earlier--which is not to say you cannot book a cruise even later by calling their reservations center. I personally have booked five days before sailing on Princess, eight days before on HAL--both times with cruiseline PVPs who were very helpful in finding the best available cabin at that rate. My only issue with my recent HAL cruise was that the PVP said it was too late to chose my dining preference; I would just default to open seating. Odd because after boarding I found there were plenty of openings at both sittings. But with such great rates I wouldn't think of complaining about being shut of any activity that was sold out by pre-reservation--and it turned out there were none at all.

You have a few issues worth some thought. You are talking about the Caribbean during the middle of the prime travel season which reduces the odds of getting a really great deal. But you are either in or near the final payment period for most of the cruise lines, and when there are really good deals they tend to be in the 2 weeks immediately following the final payment period (this varies by cruise line). The final payments are normally due 45-60 days prior to the cruise date. Most cruise lines now use options to minimize the need for a truly last minute bargain. They will often have special deals for restricted groups such as interline rates (for airline employees), senior discounts, military discounts, etc. Given all these factors we have to agree with Keith that the best time to book is probably in the next few days.

Hank

We have been on several Caribbean cruises and want to go on another in early/mid February. We live within a day's drive of the Florida ports and can do this last minute if we want to.

In addition, we really don't care much about the itinerary.

We do have a few companies we prefer: Celebrity/ RC/Holland America and Princess.

When is it too late? I've heard that you need to sign up a week ahead, but on a transatlantic cruise I talked to a guy from Miami who swore he got a fabulous deal only a few days ahead.

Should I wait till mid-January and then call up the individual cruise companies or sign up on the internet with one of the many "discount/cheap/late" companies? I figure I may be able to bargain on the phone, but maybe not.

I bought a 7 night cruise to Bermuda I saw online @ 11:00 P.M. Thursday night and sailed 12 hrs later on Friday morning this past summer.:D

You can call Carnival in the morning and sail in the afternoon. You just can't do online checkin, so have to get to the port two hours before you sail to make sure you get it done. Definitely go to the websites of all the cruise lines that interest you. Celebrity and Royal have Tuesday Happy Hour specials that can be viewed the previous Thursday night (usually), Princess has fabulous prices on Standby specials.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Exciting_Deals/XcitingDeals_cel_tues.pdf

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf