Pictorial Review: Carnival Ecstasy 12/12/13 PLUS a B2B with Brilliance of the Seas!!!

DarthGrady

Great review and pics!! I will be back on the Ecstasy in Jan. I see some changes were made. We had the same sewage smell when we sailed, in some parts of the ship and in our room when we used the AC.

Luckily our room was free of any odor. Our AC was actually one of the strongest I've ever had on a ship. When I opened the valve all the way you feel it circulating air in the room. It could actually keep the room cool while my wife used the blowdryer. At night it would get the room freezing cold. It was bliss.

Thanks for your photo review...I always like your reviews...I love eggs benedict, too, but when we go to the Sea Day Brunch I always get the filet mignon and eggs...which is somewhat like the eggs benedict except it doesn't have the English Muffin and has the filet mignon. :):):):)

Day 5, The Changeover

We woke up early on our last morning aboard the Carnival Ecstasy. We decided to skip breakfast and just get drive thru on the way to Tampa. The VIP debarkation area was in the Chinatown Lounge at 7:15. The crew walked us off the ship and we were in the parking lot within fifteen minutes. It was a very easy process. The Radisson had two shuttles waiting on us, so there was no wait there either. This was definitely one of the fastest departures from Port Canaveral that we've ever had. It was a great cruise overall, very relaxing and enjoyable.

After leaving Port Canaveral we had to make a stop to pick up my wife's parents before heading on to Tampa to embark on the Brilliance of the Seas. We had fairly light traffic until we got into Orlando. No surprise there, O-Town is usually a traveler's nightmare. It seems to only exist to prevent anyone from getting anywhere in a reasonable amount of time. But we eventually collected the in-laws and made our way to the Port of Tampa. It was time for round two.

I got off the ship on the 12th, it was the debarking from hell. Met at Neon till way after 9, crowds were everywhere by the time we got to the baggage area and then further delays!

Thanks for your photo review...I always like your reviews...I love eggs benedict, too, but when we go to the Sea Day Brunch I always get the filet mignon and eggs...which is somewhat like the eggs benedict except it doesn't have the English Muffin and has the filet mignon. :):):):)

I saw that on the menu and was torn, I'll have to try it next time.

Hi, excellent review! Going to be on ecstasy again in March for her new itinerary out of Miami. Love the ship, and thanks for sharing the pics of the taste bar, will for sure be checking that out!

By the way, the new hotel they're building is called Baha Mar. The Chinese are building it. They've actually done a lot of work to that whole area, looks really nice! Sandals looks amazing too!!

Hi, excellent review! Going to be on ecstasy again in March for her new itinerary out of Miami. Love the ship, and thanks for sharing the pics of the taste bar, will for sure be checking that out!

By the way, the new hotel they're building is called Baha Mar. The Chinese are building it. They've actually done a lot of work to that whole area, looks really nice! Sandals looks amazing too!!

It looked like it's going to be pretty gigantic, and expensive. Maybe someday....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

As a bit of epilogue, I got one of the new e-mailed guest satisfaction surveys. No big deal, the cruise got high marks.

What I found funny was some of the examples given on the question "What types of music do you listen to?" Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys? I think the person writing the survey somehow got trapped in 1996 due to a broken down DeLorean.

vury2asa.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by DarthGrady

Our bleached out clothes from the wash and fold service

232323232%7Ffp437%3B%3B%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D38%3C79%3A%3A8%3C2326nu0mrj

Was this the first time you've used this service? Also, how mad (or indifferent) were you to your faded clothes?

I have a thing about doing my own laundry ( I only wash in cold unless it's sheets or towels and always use the easy/delicate cycles with mild detergent). I never dry anything bone-dry unless it's sheets or towels. I have read so many times about people who send their clothes out to the laundry service on the ship, and they regard this as a welcome convenience. Very few times, if ever, have I read that clothes were damaged in the wash while having used this service. I am wondering if people just are not reporting the damage or are content with it because they have sent clothes that they don't care much about, etc.?

Since I'm sure that sheets and towels on the ship are washed on hot, I automatically think that anything sent to the laundry from guests is washed on hot as well and completely dried. Therefore, I am not willing to leave the care of my clothing to the ship's laundry.

Was this the first time you've used this service? Also, how mad (or indifferent) were you to your faded clothes?

I have a thing about doing my own laundry ( I only wash in cold unless it's sheets or towels and always use the easy/delicate cycles with mild detergent). I never dry anything bone-dry unless it's sheets or towels. I have read so many times about people who send their clothes out to the laundry service on the ship, and they regard this as a welcome convenience. Very few times, if ever, have I read that clothes were damaged in the wash while having used this service. I am wondering if people just are not reporting the damage or are content with it because they have sent clothes that they don't care much about, etc.?

Since I'm sure that sheets and towels on the ship are washed on hot, I automatically think that anything sent to the laundry from guests is washed on hot as well and completely dried. Therefore, I am not willing to leave the care of my clothing to the ship's laundry.

I've sent clothes many times, although less often now that they limit how much Platinum members can send. This was the first time they've damaged anything.

The "wash and fold" laundry service (often jokingly referred to as "wash and wad") can be hit or miss when it comes to quality. Sometimes it comes back neatly folded, other times it looks like they just doubled the clothes over and shoved them in to the bag.

I wasn't too upset about my shirt. It wasn't an expensive piece, although it wasn't at the end of its life either. My wife's workout clothes are still usable, just faded, but we aren't the preening gym types. Her jeans just went from dark blue to light blue, so no one would be the wiser.

But to Carnival's credit they did issue us an OBC without any issue. I think $55 was fair and it paid for most of our small bar tab. We didn't send any more laundry that cruise though, just to be on the safe side.

The reason they sell post cards for CocoCay is because Key West recently started limiting the cruises that come in because they are taking up too much at the Navy Dock, so Carnival paid Royal money to use their island for a little. So the Ecstasy, Fascination and Fantasy al have scattered stops to there, but Carnival calls it "Little Stirrup Cay", which is the island's real name.

• 1 month later...
Great review! We've not been on Carnival for a while, but Ecstacy was our first cruise experience!

We'll be headed out Valentine's weekend for a short cruise.

Will read your other reviews as well . . .

Appreciate the posts!

Nautical Mom

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Nautical Mom. This is ArkansasOcean22 in Little Rock that you got the model ship for. I do not know how to just send you a message so I just replied to this post, hopefully you will see this. It seems that the roll call i originally talked to you on has been deleted. You can email me at ralstoneverafter@yahoo.com or call me at 479-996-0300 (home) 501-519-8380 (cell) Thanks again! Timothy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Love your review! We are sailing over Thanksgiving this November on Ecstasy. It will be her Key West and Bahamas route. My sister is getting married in Key West so we turned it into a big family party on the boat. We are seasoned RCCL cruisers and used to their mega ships but I hear we'll have a good time on our 5 day cruise getting back to the basics! I actually prefer the smaller ships! Two questions for you....1. Does this ship still do the tea time you show photos of? If so, do we need to make reservations or what are the details?! 2. If we all want to meet up at one of the bars/lounges one night for pre dinner drinks or after dinner, which bars would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Love your review! We are sailing over Thanksgiving this November on Ecstasy. It will be her Key West and Bahamas route. My sister is getting married in Key West so we turned it into a big family party on the boat. We are seasoned RCCL cruisers and used to their mega ships but I hear we'll have a good time on our 5 day cruise getting back to the basics! I actually prefer the smaller ships! Two questions for you....1. Does this ship still do the tea time you show photos of? If so, do we need to make reservations or what are the details?! 2. If we all want to meet up at one of the bars/lounges one night for pre dinner drinks or after dinner, which bars would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

They were doing the tea times as of December, so I'm assuming they're still having it. It's been a Carnival tradition for a long time now. They only do it on sea days in the mid afternoon, so check the Fun Times (Carnival's version of the RCI Compass). No reservations required, but it might get busy so I'd show up a few minutes early. They almost always have it in the piano bar on Atlantic Deck.

As far as pre/post dinner drinks, it depends on which dining room you are in. If you're in the forward dining room, the Lobby Bar would be my choice. It's in the main atrium and they usually have live music in the evenings.

If you get the aft dining room, the bar at the aft end of the promenade right above the dining room would be best. It has an ornate staircase that goes right down into the aft dining room which is very convenient.

Sent from my Tricorder