PG @ $29. Tamarind @ $20. Canaletto same

Thebes

[quote name='sherilyn70']I'm assuming the prices must be higher up in Canada then. The going price for a steak in a good steakhouse is about $30-50 (depending on size and cut) here in the Midwest part of the US.

[/QUOTE]

At Hy's here in Ottawa, the prawn cocktail is 17.95, caesar salad is 12.50, a 12 oz filet mignon is 48.95, sautéed mushrooms 9.95 and steamed asparagus 10.95. Dessert menus are not online.

That makes the PG a great choice. But, keep in mind that you have already paid for a dinner meal when you booked the cruise. I don't know what the value of the dinner meals are in the MDR, but you should really add it to the prices you pay at the speciality restaurants when determining value.

[quote name='sherilyn70']But they are already receiving their tip in the cost of the dinner you paid for. So you really aren't tiping them, your just giving them extra money.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4[/QUOTE]

As others have pointed out the surcharge doesn't include a tip. I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why anyone would question why I would tip extra. If you don't want to that is entirely up to you. Can you please explain why it matters if I tip extra since I just don't understand the comment. Thx. Edited by cruz chic

[quote name='cruz chic']As others have pointed out the surcharge doesn't include a tip. I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why anyone would question why I would tip extra. If you don't want to that is entirely up to you. Can you please explain why it matters if I tip extra since I just don't understand the comment. Thx.[/QUOTE]

I would never question anyone for tipping extra in the specialty restaraunts as we always do, too. I wouldn't feel right otherwise.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

[quote name='cruz chic']As others have pointed out the surcharge doesn't include a tip. I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why anyone would question why I would tip extra. If you don't want to that is entirely up to you. Can you please explain why it matters if I tip extra since I just don't understand the comment. Thx.[/quote]
I think the confusion occured when you said "did not tip" as in you gave them no tip at all. There is a difference between not tipping and tipping extra. I wouldn't expect anyone to have to tip extra unless they received exceptional service.

It doesn't matter at all if you choose to do that and I'm not the one that questioned it... but I did ask the same thing to myself when I read it because it struck me as odd. For people not familiar with the process they would be under the impression you left them with $0 which is not the case if they get part of the hotel charge pool. I am one of those that is new to HAL so I found your statement a bit confusing and wondering if I am expected to tip above the charges I'm already paying. Edited by sherilyn70

[quote name='sherilyn70']For people not familiar with the process they would be under the impression you left them with $0 which is not the case if they get part of the hotel charge pool.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Those working in the Pinnacle get their portion of the hotel service charge whether you dine there or not. Most of us don't think of that as tipping when we do eat there.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Those working in the Pinnacle get their portion of the hotel service charge whether you dine there or not. Most of us don't think of that as tipping when we do eat there.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[B] Yes, ^^ That.
I don't consider the bit they get from the hotel service charge to be noteworthy as a tip when we dine in Pinnacle and they provide us such a good meal and lovely evening. It is very rare when we leave there less than perfectly satisfied and we have dined a great many times in a great many ships' Pinnacles.

We do not tip everytime we go as we have breakfast there most mornings. If we are on for two weeks and have dinner two or three times in the week and many breakfasts (and an occasional lunch), DH will tip about every third or fourth day. We see the same stewards and know we will see them again. :)

I think it good people asked.

[/B]

[quote name='startwin'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]There seems to be some real nit-picking going on here. Does anyone really care what is meant by "tipping extra"? What we each do is a personal choice.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
No, no one does care about what "tipping extra" means. But that isn't what was questioned. The person that asked the question quoted the fact that she said they didn't tip at all. For people that are new to HAL that statment would be confusing so I'm glad that someone did ask her about it, or I never would have found out that a)they do not get any part of the restaurant upcharges like other lines do b)that the only tipping the servers there get is part of the standard pool c)that most people do tip extra because of these things. I'm a 20% tipper but assumed that they were already getting 15% built in since I had no knowledge or experinece with HAL.

Just to be clear... the statment that was originally made and questioned (by somoene else) was:
[quote name='cruz chic']Now, that's annoying. I hope better service comes along with that. On the Eurodam, the tamarind had great service some nights, less than great others. The last time I was in the pinnacle at night was on the Noordam the service was pathetic. That's the only time I've gone in at night and not tipped[/quote] Edited by sherilyn70

[quote name='sherilyn70']No, no one does care about what "tipping extra" means. But that isn't what was questioned. The person that asked the question quoted the fact that she said they didn't tip at all. For people that are new to HAL that statment would be confusing so I'm glad that someone did ask her about it, or I never would have found out that a)they do not get any part of the restaurant upcharges like other lines do b)that the only tipping the servers there get is part of the standard pool c)that most people do tip extra because of these things. I'm a 20% tipper but assumed that they were already getting 15% built in since I had no knowledge or experinece with HAL.

Just to be clear... the statment that was originally made and questioned (by somoene else) was:[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I was once new to HAL and I didn't know about CC, and I read all the pertinent info on the HAL website, and made my own decisions. Sometimes I think the many opinions on here can be very off-putting to newbies. It's amazing how happily you can manage all the policies onboard without the benefit of CC.:D [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='sherilyn70']No, no one does care about what "tipping extra" means. But that isn't what was questioned. The person that asked the question quoted the fact that she said they didn't tip at all. For people that are new to HAL that statment would be confusing so I'm glad that someone did ask her about it, or I never would have found out that a)they do not get any part of the restaurant upcharges like other lines do b)that the only tipping the servers there get is part of the standard pool c)that most people do tip extra because of these things. I'm a 20% tipper but assumed that they were already getting 15% built in since I had no knowledge or experinece with HAL.

Just to be clear... the statment that was originally made and questioned (by somoene else) was:[/QUOTE]

Ok, just so it's crystal clear, I did not tip extra. There is NO reason that anyone should question why or if I tip. The first poster that questioned me has made it crystal clear that he does not want to tip extra. I do, and I don't appreciate being questioned multiple times as to why I'm doing it. I do not question why he or anyone else does not tip extra.

[quote name='cruz chic']Ok, just so it's crystal clear, I did not tip extra. There is NO reason that anyone should question why or if I tip. The first poster that questioned me has made it crystal clear that he does not want to tip extra. I do, and I don't appreciate being questioned multiple times as to why I'm doing it. I do not question why he or anyone else does not tip extra.[/QUOTE]

Exactly - some prefer to tip extra and some not. Just because one person does not believe in tipping extra is no reason to question and/or post it over and over ad nauseum. No one should judge what others choose to do :)

We all have choices and the freedom to choose thank heavens:D

Just to be clear... the statment that was originally made and questioned (by somoene else) was:[/QUOTE]

Actually, during our recent cruise we dined twice in the PG and once in the Tamarind and I kept watching folks as they left to see whether they were leaving tips. I didn't see anyone leaving any tips on their tables. Based on my limited experience, I would say that most people do not tip extra.

[quote name='kazu']Exactly - some prefer to tip extra and some not. Just because one person does not believe in tipping extra is no reason to question and/or post it over and over ad nauseum. No one should judge what others choose to do :)

[B]We all have choices and the freedom to choose thank heavens[/B]:D[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]^^^ Thank you for putting it in better words than I did!:D[/SIZE][/FONT]

We do all our "extra" tipping at the end of the cruise. We decide who has given us especially good service, and make out envelopes in which we put whatever we decide to give the bar stewards, room stewards, Pinnacle staff, etc. The only people we tip at the time would be the room service guys, because you never know if you will see them again.

[quote name='Vict0riann']We do all our "extra" tipping at the end of the cruise. We decide who has given us especially good service, and make out envelopes in which we put whatever we decide to give the bar stewards, room stewards, Pinnacle staff, etc. The only people we tip at the time would be the room service guys, because you never know if you will see them again.[/QUOTE]

We do the same thing Ann - the PG is split among the staff so we just give the envelope to the boss :)

The only exception is the collectors' cruises. Since some of the staff may be getting off, we either ask to ascertain or we tip at the end of the first leg and at the end of the second leg (usually the latter) :D

[quote name='cruz chic']Ok, just so it's crystal clear, I did not tip extra. There is NO reason that anyone should question why or if I tip. The first poster that questioned me has made it crystal clear that he does not want to tip extra. I do, and I don't appreciate being questioned multiple times as to why I'm doing it. I do not question why he or anyone else does not tip extra.[/quote]
Simple solution... don't respond if it offends you. But honestly, if you don't want anyone to question what you said then don't say it to begin with, there was no reason you had to volunteer that you didn't tip them. You made a comment, you can't possibly think that no one would read it and/or question it on here; you're not new to these forums. I really don't understand why you are so worked up over this.

I asked for clarification and I got it from others thankfully.

[quote name='kazu']Exactly - some prefer to tip extra and some not. Just because one person does not believe in tipping extra is no reason to question and/or post it over and over ad nauseum. No one should judge what others choose to do :) [/quote]

But no one asked her or questioned why she didn't tip extra. The question was about tipping at all. She left out a very important word, which apparently many people are failing to see.

I certainly don't question tipping extra because I do it myself at the end of every cruise. I also tip extra for other services as seen fit if they go above and beyond for me.

[quote name='sherilyn70']Simple solution... don't respond if it offends you. But honestly, if you don't want anyone to question what you said then don't say it to begin with, there was no reason you had to volunteer that you didn't tip them. You made a comment, you can't possibly think that no one would read it and/or question it on here; you're not new to these forums. I really don't understand why you are so worked up over this.

I asked for clarification and I got it from others thankfully.[/QUOTE]

WOW! I thought you were an optimist all this time;)

I thought the post was clear. If I post that I didn't tip - it means that the service wasn't worthy of the extra $. Simple as that. So, I guess I understood it clearly.

I don't think it is appropriate to suggest to anyone that they not post - but that's just me;)

[quote name='cbr663']Actually, during our recent cruise we dined twice in the PG and once in the Tamarind and I kept watching folks as they left to see whether they were leaving tips. I didn't see anyone leaving any tips on their tables. Based on my limited experience, I would say that most people do not tip extra.[/QUOTE]

We always tip in the specialty restaurants but you would not necessarily see me do it. I very discretely slip a folded bill under one of the dishes on the table so it will be found when the table is cleared.

Some slip an envelope to the manager. Just because you don't see tipping being overt does not mean it isn't happening.

As others have said, extra tipping is a personal choice and the only person who needs to be concerned about it is the person doing it. It's no skin off anyone else's nose.

[quote name='cbr663']Actually, during our recent cruise we dined twice in the PG and once in the Tamarind and I kept watching folks as they left to see whether they were leaving tips. I didn't see anyone leaving any tips on their tables. Based on my limited experience, I would say that most people do not tip extra.[/quote]

[B] DH never leaves cash for others to see sitting on the table in Tamarind or Pinnacle. He tips but you would not see it. When he shakes the Pinnacle Manager's hand, you would not see the tip. When he slips currency into the folder containing the wine/liquor bill, you would not see him tip. Just because people are subtle and not showy, does not mean they are not tipping. ;) I'm surprised someone would spend so much energy watching what people at other tables were doing. I much prefer paying attention to the folks with whom we are dining. :)

[/B] Edited by sail7seas

[quote name='sapper1']We always tip in the specialty restaurants but you would not necessarily see me do it. I very discretely slip a folded bill under one of the dishes on the table so it will be found when the table is cleared.

Some slip an envelope to the manager. Just because you don't see tipping being overt does not mean it isn't happening.

As others have said, extra tipping is a personal choice and the only person who needs to be concerned about it is the person doing it. It's no skin off anyone else's nose.[/quote]

[B] Exactly. :)
Tasteful.

[/B]

[quote name='kazu']WOW! I thought you were an optimist all this time;)

I thought the post was clear. If I post that I didn't tip - it means that the service wasn't worthy of the extra $. Simple as that. So, I guess I understood it clearly.

I don't think it is appropriate to suggest to anyone that they not post - but that's just me;)[/quote]

You can twist it all you like... clearly you're not willing to actually understand what I'm saying (or you haven't actually read any of my posts). I am an optimist. My point is that if you say "I didn't tip" then don't be shocked when someone (which let me remind everyone again was not me) asks you about it. If you don't want anyone to ask you questions then don't post it publicly, that's common sense is it not? You don't talk about things you don't want to discuss, period. If you throw it into the pool then don't be shocked when someone brings it up. What else would you suggest she (or anyone else) do in the future to avoid being questioned by anyone that might read her public post in a forum such as this? I was trying to offer a solution to her problem since it was clearly upseting her. Yes... I know, I'm a horrible person for trying to offer logical solutions. I can live with that. :)

[quote name='cbr663']Actually, during our recent cruise we dined twice in the PG and once in the Tamarind and I kept watching folks as they left to see whether they were leaving tips. I didn't see anyone leaving any tips on their tables. Based on my limited experience, I would say that most people do not tip extra.[/quote]
Okay, call me confused again. I'm clearly missing something here since I am new to HAL. Do they not give you a receipt to sign that can have a tip added to it? If there are receipts to sign then how could anyone know who did or didn't tip? Do I need to bring cash with me now? I'm really not a cash person. (we do bring extra 20s for the end of cruise tipping and 1s for room service, but we don't carry money around with us) Edited by sherilyn70

[quote name='sherilyn70']Okay, call me confused again. I'm clearly missing something here since I am new to HAL. Do they not give you a receipt to sign that can have a tip added to it? If there are receipts to sign then how could anyone know who did or didn't tip? Do I need to bring cash with me now? I'm really not a cash person. (we do bring extra 20s for the end of cruise tipping and 1s for room service, but we don't carry money around with us)[/QUOTE]

There is no provision for adding a tip to the chit you sign. All extra tipping onboard is done with cash.
I just slip a ten dollar bill out of the safe and into my purse as we leave for our reservation. Or more frequently, I forget, and have to leave the table between courses and run back up to the cabin to get it.

[quote name='sherilyn70']Okay, call me confused again. I'm clearly missing something here since I am new to HAL. Do they not give you a receipt to sign that can have a tip added to it? If there are receipts to sign then how could anyone know who did or didn't tip? Do I need to bring cash with me now? I'm really not a cash person. (we do bring extra 20s for the end of cruise tipping and 1s for room service, but we don't carry money around with us)[/quote]

[B] Some people pre-book their alternative restaurant reservations on line before boarding the ship. They pay at the time they book so no bill is presented to the table except for a bar tab if they ordered any beverages such as wine, soda or cocktails.

[/B]