valor cruise

police46

We are leaving Jan.26 on the Valor out of San Juan . This is going to be the most port intensive cruise that we have taken and was wondering what people who have taken this cruise have as opinions (positive or negative). I am very sure we will have a blast ,but just wondering what is in store for us.

Regards, Police46

We are leaving Jan.26 on the Valor out of San Juan . This is going to be the most port intensive cruise that we have taken and was wondering what people who have taken this cruise have as opinions (positive or negative). I am very sure we will have a blast ,but just wondering what is in store for us.

Regards, Police46

Loved the Valor and her staff, had to be the friendliest staff we have ever encountered. This was our 3rd time doing this cruise out of San Juan.

Only negative was on debarkation, we booked the Rainforest with Airport transfers. They never bothered to tell us it had been cancelled since only 4 people booked it. We stored our bags across the street and took the ferry over to Bacardi and did the tour.

The only tough thing for me was actually not that big of a deal.

I wanted to use as much time as possible in the ports as I hadn't been to 4 of the 5. This meant I wasn't able to sleep in as much as I wanted to. I hate to say it but another sea day would have been great.

We just did this itinerary in November and you are correct, it is port-intensive. We were on the Valor two years prior with a less intensive western itinerary as well. This time we were hoping to recreate the fun times we had the first time, but we were just too busy during the day to really enjoy the ship and entertainment at night. The early port times were on our minds as we planned our nights, and being off the ship so often made a difference in how we enjoyed ourselves. We had early dining at 6pm so after reboarding we basically went right to dinner. A second sea day would have made a difference to us personally. We knew what we were getting into when we booked but we really wanted to see these ports. No doubt we enjoyed the islands and had an amazing time, but we didn't do half the ship activities we hoped to. And we are very active, in our early 40's. Just our opinion, but I don't think we would personally do something this busy again.

This itinerary is very port intensive - but that is why I booked it last March. We had such a great time, that when it was time to start planning for Spring 2014 I didn't really consider any other carnival itineraries - just did a mock booking and then called my PVP - well, he called me. The day after I did the mock booking. ;)

We were in a suite in the forward of the ship last year and the vibration from the thrusters woke us up each morning between 7 & 8. We didn't mind too much as we wanted to be up and off laying on a beach by 10am. Due to being up so early - we were in the suite by 11 or 12 each night.

I would recommend a day or two in San Juan post cruise to relax before returning to the real world if you can. We rested on Sunday and flew home Monday last year (also I found significantly cheaper airfare!)

A wonderful vacation awaits you!

We loved this trip. Was on the Valor in February. It was my two sisters and dads first cruise like this, they have done small river cruises, and they had a blast. With all the different ports there is just so much to see and do. Plan ahead so you know what you want to do at each port before you get there. This will make for a much better experience.

I also agree with those that say if you can spend a couple of days on either side of the cruise in San Juan you will thank yourself later.

I am on the Valor in a few weeks and I was concerned about the itinerary being too busy also. I am so use to the last day being a sea day and use it to relax and pack. I've heard such great things about these ports so I'm just going with the flow and going to just try to relax the best I can. I'm sure being in the Caribbean instead of cold Massachusetts, I'll somehow survive :)

The ship is in great condition, the stops are amazing, you are going to have a great cruise!

If you happen to stop for an evening martini at Jeanne's wine bar deck 5 aft (which I highly recommend) be sure and tell Valentina (she will take good care of you) that Barry and Jenny say hi!

The only tough thing for me was actually not that big a deal.

I wanted to use as much time as possible in the ports as I hadn't been to 4 of the 5.

This meant I wasn't able to sleep in as much as I wanted to.

Simple solution to that vexing problem.

Get to bed before 4 in the morning.

Heck, just get to bed by midnight!

Edited by Aplmac

We have done the southern six times and would go back again in a heart beat.

Love the ports!

Southern Caribbean/VALOR is one of Carnival's most popular cruise routes

-AND you can board at San Juan or at Barbados!

Which other Carnival route allows you that option?

The day that airfare to P.Rico gets lowered (wait for it! :D)

you'll have to book at least a year in advance!

Or Carnival will have to home-port a second ship out of San Juan...or Barbados.

Victory-483.jpg

Docking at Bridgetown BARBADOS.

Simple solution to that vexing problem.

Get to bed before 4 in the morning.

Heck, just get to bed by midnight!

Actually I was in bed before 11 most nights. I'm not a morning person, so I like to sleep in if I can.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I am on the Valor in a few weeks and I was concerned about the itinerary being too busy also. I am so use to the last day being a sea day and use it to relax and pack. I've heard such great things about these ports so I'm just going with the flow and going to just try to relax the best I can. I'm sure being in the Caribbean instead of cold Massachusetts, I'll somehow survive :)

We will be joining you from mass too!

Michelle & Frank

Boston MA

Valor Southern is the best cruise I've been on. All of the islands were simply stunning, but each was a very unique experience. Make sure to play a beach day or 2 in port. If you do tours, and excursions in every port you will need a vacation from your vacation! While others have said they would love another Sea Day, I just dont think cutting out any of the islands on this trip is a good plan, I loved all of them. I would do this trip again without hesitation, as I am sure there is so much more to do and see on these islands than 1 day in each was able to accomplish!

As for the expensive airfare mentioned, check out Southwest, they started flying to San Juan earlier this year, and we got our roundtrip airfare to San Juan from Columbus for $350pp, it was a fabulous deal!

We're doing the Southern carribean cruise in about a month, island tours are mentioned, we don't really know what we want and where we want it! How safe is it to just jump into a taxi and ask for some sort of tour? Is it safe? It's something I'm not too sure about, are there any reports of unscrupulous taxi drivers? Or am I worrying for nothing?

Edited by GINGERWILDCAT

Did this itinerary in Oct., we had a blast. Yes it's very port instensive, but we had a week off to rest before going back to work. The ports were great and we did a tour in every port except Barbados. I would do this itinerary again, just less touring next time and enjoy the ship more. I found the staff to be great and very friendly.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app