Land all inclusive vs cruise

lbfluffy

I've done a couple AIs and liked both experiences. Right now, I prefer cruises based solely on how I like to island-hop. Once I've experienced most of the islands on my list, I'll probably look into AI resorts at the places I liked most.

If you enjoy alcoholic beverages, many AIs have better options for drink packages than cruises. However, many AIs didn't cover every meal in the day (usually covering 2).

Occasionally some pretty good AI deals come up on LivingSocial or Groupon.

Edited by seannyice81

I've done a couple AIs and liked both experiences. Right now, I prefer cruises based solely on how I like to island-hop. Once I've experienced most of the islands on my list, I'll probably look into AI resorts at the places I liked most.

If you enjoy alcoholic beverages, many AIs have better options for drink packages than cruises. However, many AIs didn't cover every meal in the day (usually covering 2).

Occasionally some pretty good AI deals come up on LivingSocial or Groupon.

I've had different experiences with AI's. I find the drinks watered down and not very tasty at all. I've also never been to an AI where all meals weren't covered.

Like yourself, I'll probably do another AI when I've explored all the islands and find my favourite. I've done the typical AI resort destinations (Jamaica, Dominican, Mexico) but I'm sure there's much better options out there. I have to think outside the box a little for my next AI. :)

Edited by RCH1234

I do both cruise and AI.

I enjoy cruises for the idea of island hopping to see if I want to go there for a week.

AI all my meals have been included, I have upgraded at AI and this could include premium liquor at the bars.

Been to DR, Mexico, Panama and Cuba way to many times

I research all my AI's on Trip advisor, I get a really good idea of what I am booking from reviews and pictures. I like Trip Advisor for a lot of reasons it is a great source of information that a TA usually can not tell you. For me an AI is usually cheaper than a cruise. Taking into consideration I book balcony room, have to fly in and get a hotel room for the night before and the cost of liquor..

See my thread below. I just recently tried an AI in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico for my son's wedding. I found it boring. We had some rain at the beginning of the trip and when it rains, there is nothing to do. There is also not much to do at night.

I am a person who likes to go, go, go, not just lay at the pool and drink and eat. There were some excursions you could purchase in the lobby, but we didn't have time due to the wedding planning.

I am glad I went because I always wondered what vacations were like on the other side...it helped me realize I do prefer a cruise, any day, any time.

This was my thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1960376

Choosing the right A/I is no cruising matter, it takes time and some work. Like cruises, the resort can be the destination or the actual place, you are going to visit. This can will greatly impact the decision on where and what kind of A/I you will choose. Unlike crusing, you are not choosing among 3 or 4 lines, but literally dozens of products geared toward different type of tourist. I have been repeated to all inclusive in Jamaica (Couples, Beaches, Sunset Jamaica Grande, Sunset Beach and Spa, Sunset at the Palms, and Negril Relax) plus a few in Mexico (most recent Grande Sunset Princess). I prefer all inclusive over crusing because I vacation for the destination. I want time in an area since flying is often involved. The most popular A/I destinations are Jamaica, Mexico, DR and if you can get to Cuba. These countries with give a wide range to choose from.

9992089723_f50587cdb2.jpg

[/url] ,

Mexico, pools to die for

11618788043_e0656f3fd7.jpg

, on Flickr

Top shelf liquor but the drinks can be watered down also be topped up.

11618578995_8ac1b4143c.jpg

by ,

Infinity pool at Couples San Sousci

11618972134_d75ccf6de9.jpg

Couples Resort, Jamaica.

Couples and Sandals/Beaches are top notch vacation experience with staff catering to your needs. All inclusive can be a very personal choice, do not let anyone choose it for you. They are going to choose it with their interest in mind.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Staying in Playa Del Carmen is not boring. We spent our last two winter trips there and had a blast. Went to ruins in Telum and Chitchen Iza, scuba diving in Akumal. Spent a day in Cancun, and partied in Playa del Carmen at Coco Bongo, and did playa crawl twice going to Palazzo, Ula Gula and Mandala. Even if that's not your thing, there are tons of stuff to do in and around Playa, Xcaret, Xplor just to name a few. The first trip we stayed at the Grand Serenis and were disapointed with the food, big time, definately no comparison to cruise food. The second time we stayed at the Occidental Grand Xcaret and loved everything about it. We were with Transat Vacations in our own seperate building for both trips. The booze comes straight from the bottle so I'm not sure how they can "water" it down. Premium drinks were included, all you had to do was ask for what you wanted. If you don't ask, then they give you the cheaper stuff, then the drinks aren't as good. Just like a cruise, it's only as good as you make it.

We love cruising but thinking about doing an all inclusive land based vacation. I'm torn, because we love cruising, but we might want to try something new. Anyone done this?

We've done two land AI but didn't enjoy them as much as our cruises.

1). There was just the one area to explore.

2). There were not nearly as many activities to choose from.

3) My husband is 'Mr Sociable' but people on land are not nearly as open to conversations as people at sea.

4) There was very little entertainment in the evening, no real choices.

5) We don't drink much more than an afternoon and evening drink so the AI for drinks wasn't meaningful to us.

Edited by NMLady

Since DW and I are essentially beach people, and consider reading our favorite onboard activity when we cruise....AIs are a great option. We have done several AIs (in Mexico, Jamaica and the DR) and really enjoyed the experience. What is a little scary about the AIs is the weather risk. When we take a cruise the odds are pretty good that we will have some good weather. But when you put yourself into a single location for a week or 10 days there is a greater risk of bad weather. And if stuck at an AI in a remote area (such as parts of the DR) there are few rainy day options.

Hank

We're not beach people or big drinkers so I think I would be bored out of my mind by the 3rd day. It seems like some of the ones I've looked at on-line are in the middle of nowhere so if you don't like to lay on the beach, snorkel, or maybe play golf or tennis there's not much to do. I think I'd rather cruise and go to a different place every day or so - even if it is a short stay.

Since DW and I are essentially beach people, and consider reading our favorite onboard activity when we cruise....AIs are a great option. We have done several AIs (in Mexico, Jamaica and the DR) and really enjoyed the experience. What is a little scary about the AIs is the weather risk. When we take a cruise the odds are pretty good that we will have some good weather. But when you put yourself into a single location for a week or 10 days there is a greater risk of bad weather. And if stuck at an AI in a remote area (such as parts of the DR) there are few rainy day options.

Hank

...we were in an AI in the beautiful island of Moorea...and it rained everyday. The first day, we boarded a small prop plane for a 5-minute flight from Papeete to Moorea when the pilot decided to turn around while taxiing. He said: "Too dangerous, see those black clouds". We sat at the tiny little airport for 4 hours waiting for the torrential rains to stop. Perhaps it would've been better if the sun had been out more...it was breathtakingly beautiful nevertheless.

We love and prefer cruising but AI's have it's advantages. As many have already said, those who love to drink may prefer AI's. The food can be worse or better, activities available or non-existent, boring or exciting...all depends on which AI you choose.

Two things, IMHO, that separates cruises and AI's:

* The service on cruises have been consistently better than in any AI's we've visited.

* On the other hand, the rooms in all AI's we've visited have been more luxurious than any cabins we've stayed in.

Ultimately, a visit to an AI can be refreshing...planning is the key. :)

Cruises used to stand out in service and food but with recent cut backs that's becoming less the case. While I would still do all inclusive for the booze, I would never in a million years consider food a priority for a cruise. In my experience pricing has remained more consistent at all inclusive, so has the product. The cheaper cruise fares have taken a toll on the quality of the product. I used to alternate between resorts and cruises. Some higher end resorts, like Sandals or Beaches, could easily price in the range of your luxury cruises.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

We are in the opposite position. We leave on our first cruise in a few days after going to AIs for several years.

The key is research. Some AIs are overcrowded and overrun. Some only have buffets and water down the drinks. Some have entertainment staff that are in your fac and others have entertainment staff that are very sedate (both appeal to different people).

BUT some have excellent restaurants with multiple a la carte options for 3 meals/day and 24 hour room service. Some have pool and beach service where they will bring everything from food and drinks to bottles of champagne on ice and glasses and even fresh squeezed orange juice if it is early and you want to drink mimosas on the beach.

We have been to resorts on St. Lucia, Jamaica, and several in Mexico. You obviously get what you pay for. When not travelling with the kids we prefer adult-only AIs so there won't be kids running all over. I love kids, but have found that sometimes parents take a vacation from parenting.

Check out the years best AI list on Trip advisor. We've been to several on the list, including the one named #1 this year and two years ago and trust me, it was nice.

I'm hoping we love the cruise as much as we have our other vacations. I hope you do, too!

It's like comparing apples and oranges - they both have benefits and downsides.......which one you would like best would depend on what you like and what you like to do. All inclusive resorts are as variable as different cruises - some are crowded beaches and little else, others are full of particular activities that might appeal (some for sports, some for spas, some for classes). Likewise, cruises are different depending on the ship, location, and cruise line.

We love the ocean and cruising, mostly TAs, now that we have visited many ports and spent time (More than a day) at many places, we enjoy going to different places. Ships and AIs are limited, but with a car I can go to any restaurant around. If we don't like a place. we leave and go somewhere else, we are in control, not some corporation.

DW likes to gamble, so we usually get enough comps to cover the hotel and food at about half our stops.

We have had many adventures, some great:) and some not:(

Always smile and look for the best; if you look for what's wrong you'll find it but you won't like the trip.:eek:

We have always liked our trips, even when I thought I was going to freeze; we finally found our way out and a pub with great scotch to warm us.

Thanks all for your suggestions. You are right, I get a lot of insight from Trip Advisor. We are in California so everywhere we want to go would require air. So if we do this I don't want to pay a ton for airfare. I want to make sure where we go is worthwhile. We are going as a couple so maybe we will look into adult only resorts. We love the beach too and just relaxing.

We are doing a cruise this year vs the all inclusive, I already know the trip this year wil be more money, but hopefully an enjoyable trip....the key to finding a nice resort, ship, or destination is research and being realistic.....

Last year we visited huatulco.new secrets resort in january...did not see a cloud until the day we left. In fact over 15 years of vacations usually in jan or feb, we had 20 minutes of a rainshower in Jamaica.

Our favorites....party spot cabo

Snorkel spot...st kitts and cozumel

Beach...manzanillo, mx and huatulco, mx

Active vacation, sandals mo bay

Lazy beach....pt vallarta, sosua, d.r.

Overall....st kitts