New Cruisers:Learn the Cruise "lingo"!!

big al

When my wife & I were on our 1st cruise, back in 1995 on Carnival, the Captain when talking about the ship, said, "notice I said "SHIP", NOT "BOAT"...a boat is what you go fishing on, and I don't think you will be fishing off this ship"...he then said, "please refer to this vessel as a ship, she deserves it"...from that day on, I refer to the vessel as a ship, not a boat...

New cruisers- you should learn the "cruise lingo" when on your first cruise..you wouldn't refer to a large mega-resort as a "motel" would you? Or a single engine plane as a Jumbo jet?

Here is a start and on the left, you will find the"standard" terms...and on the right, the cruise term..I hope this helps..experienced cruisers please chime in & add your 2 cents:

Boat.......................... ship or vessel

Floor.......................... deck ( floors are for buildings)

Room........................ stateroom or cabin ( stateroom is preferred plus "rooms" are for hotels)

Front of ship ( towards)............... Forward

Back of ship ( towards)................ Aft

Left side facing forward... Port ( you can easily remember this term because "port has 4 letters and so does "left"

Right side of ship facing forward... Starboard

Beam............................................Width of the ship

Bow..............................................front of ship

Stem ............................................extreme front of ship

Stern.............................................extreme rear of ship

Tender.......................................... a small vessel used to take passengers to a dock/pier

There are about a dozen more, but these are the most important ones, so if you hear these terms when you cruise, you will now know what they mean...I would suggest you print these out or make a word document of this...any more specific terms, please ask! Happy cruising & Bon Voyage ON YOUR SHIP,LOL!!

Big Al

Total nonsense, Al.:rolleyes:

I've corrected all your errors.:p

Floor.........................................What you fall on after your fifth Pina Colada.

Room........................................What your cabin is short on, unless you book a suite.

Front of ship ............................ Pointy end.

Back of ship ............................... Blunt end.

Left side facing forward............... Right side, at the back (when you get lost in the corridors)

Right side of ship facing forward... Left side, at the back (when still in the corridors, still dis-orientated)

Beam.........................................Your expression when you finally navigate to your cabin without making a wrong turn.

Bow...........................................What you're expected to do when meeting the captain.

Stern......................................... your expression when brought meatloaf instead of lobster.

Tender....................................... the bruise on your shin where you mis-judged transferring from ship to transfer boat.

Big Al

JB :)

Two words that I like to hear, whether on a cruise OR on dry land (but seldom hear either one):

1. free, as in "no charge"

2. complimentary (aka "free")

It's really not a big deal to me if someone refers to a ship as a "boat". Maybe the mix-up started as a result of that 80's T.V. show "The Love Boat", which, when you think about it, sounds better than "The Love Ship".;) Oh well, guess I'll go to the back of the boat, find our room, which is on the seventh floor, and take a nap.:D

Sadly I read many posts where people still use the word "boat" instead of ship. Floor instead of deck. And room instead of cabin or stateroom.

And some of these people have taken several cruises and should know different by now.

LOL -- My son (who is in the Navy) likes to correct me when I talk our "aft cabin". He says: AFT is a direction, Mom -- your cabin is located on the STERN. ;)

Sadly I read many posts where people still use the word "boat" instead of ship. Floor instead of deck. And room instead of cabin or stateroom.

And some of these people have taken several cruises and should know different by now.

It is a boat for me, so perhaps all the sea faring terminology scholars here will want to inform the US Navy of their lack of proper lingo. I figure if they can refer to the mightiest ships in the world, both afloat and under the sea as "boats" , the term will remain good enough for me.

The terms I want to see people educated on relate to the dress code. "Business casual" does not mean shorts and a tank top, and dressing up for "formal" night does not mean upgrading to blue jeans with your new beer logo tee shirt, even if you are refined enough to tuck it in your pants.

Quote from John Bull:

Floor.........................................What you fall on after your fifth Pina Colada.

Room........................................What your cabin is short on, unless you book a suite.

Left side facing forward............... Right side, at the back (when you get lost in the corridors)

Right side of ship facing forward... Left side, at the back (when still in the corridors, still dis-orientated)

Beam.........................................Your expression when you finally navigate to your cabin without making a wrong turn.

Bow...........................................What you're expected to do when meeting the captain.

Stern......................................... your expression when brought meatloaf instead of lobster.

Tender....................................... the bruise on your shin where you mis-judged transferring from ship to transfer boat.

Good one, John Bull!

Edited by Scrapnana

Quote from John Bull:

Good one, John Bull!

A Men! Let's not turn cc into the ship terminology police board.

And the ship vs. boat debate has been going for years with no certain answer. Even Google can't seem to decide which is correct or why. ;)

Sadly I read many posts where people still use the word "boat" instead of ship. QUOTE]

Does it really make any difference. Both of them are holes in the water into which you pour money.

DON

No no no. That is a sailboat.

It's simple: You can put a boat on a ship. You cannot put a ship on a boat.

I CAN put a ship in a bottle, but....that's a different topic.

I will casually call it a sloop or barge. In fact, I will use all kinds of boat terms for the cruise ship.

"I have shown you the photos I took of our cruise skiff?"

Nobody mentioned galley for kitchen. Personally, if you are standing inside the kitchen during the tour even on a sea day and have ever stood in some other big commercial kitchen, it looks the same. I did not spot any clues it was still on a tub.

And then there are the bathrooms. Anybody???

Well, as long as I have gone there, where exactly is the poop-deck?

Later,

M

I will casually call it a sloop or barge. In fact, I will use all kinds of boat terms for the cruise ship.

"I have shown you the photos I took of our cruise skiff?"

Nobody mentioned galley for kitchen. Personally, if you are standing inside the kitchen during the tour even on a sea day and have ever stood in some other big commercial kitchen, it looks the same. I did not spot any clues it was still on a tub.

Well, as long as I have gone there, where exactly is the poop-deck?

Later,

M

The poop deck is the one that never deals you a blackjack.:)

The heads. Because it was always at the head (pointy end) of the boat, at the base of the bowsprit where the splashing waves provided automatic cleaning.

Though when an upper-class executive visiting Southampton docks was caught-short one time, he asked a docker to direct him to the urinal.

The docker thought for a moment, then said "I don't know, mate. How many funnels has she got?"

:D

JB :)

Not sure about boats, but you can ship ships.

The board wants to break up URLs so you need to glue this back together.

http://m(dot)imgur(dot)com(slash)gallery/29EcG

I chuckles every time I see this photo of a ship-shipping ship shipping shipping ships.

Now, say that fast.

Edited by EdmPair