Princess vs Holland America

jhuntermartin

I've only sailed on Holland America once but really enjoyed it and would say HAL again without question. From my experience, I thought the food was better on HAL, and having an actual midnight buffet was a real treat. They even had it outside on the Lido deck a few times. I also like how we had a regular balcony room and a bathtub was included, where on Princess you need a mini suite or suite for a tub. I thought the orchestra was nicer on HAL, and enjoyed the piano player especially. I did think the ship I was on seemed older than the Princess ships I've been on but that could just be me.

I sailed HAL once about 3 years ago and have sailed Princess numerous times. HAL is more low key - not nearly as much entertainment and things to do and definitely an older crowd in general. I prefer Princess because there's more to do on board in my opinion.

I prefer Princess, the demographics work better for me and the food options are better, limited availability when returning from port on Hal at 4 pm,( closed the burger joint while I and 6 others were in line ), that was it for me !!

While they are owned by the same company Carnival Corporation and I have sailed both Princess just once that was back in 1998. I would like hear from people who have cruised both Cruise Lines what do you see as the major differences?
I'm Elite of Princess and a 3-star Mariner on HAL. The lines are similar in some ways, different in others.

HAL cabins have a larger "living" area with a small couch but much less storage. Princess cabins have a large open closet/dressing area with a wardrobe with floor-to-ceiling shelves. Access to the bathroom is from the closet area, not the hallway, so if someone gets up earlier or gets in later, they are less likely to disturb the other. HAL bathrooms are larger and many have bathtub/shower combos. I like that the desk in a Princess cabin has several drawers for storage but the HAL desk has a make-up mirror.

Muster on HAL is held outside, on deck, regardless of weather. Muster on Princess is held indoors where it's easier to hear and you're far more comfortable.

The buffet on HAL has more "served" stations and made-to-order sandwiches and wok stations. However, it's open for only a few hours each for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Princess buffet is more self-serve but there's tableside beverage service (whether it's juice, coffee, iced tea, a soda or a glass of wine) plus it's open continuously between 5:30am-11pm so you can get a full breakfast at 10:30am or full lunch after coming back at 2pm after a tour if you want. The Royal Princess has a made-to-order sandwich station as well as stir-fry/wok dishes. Princess pizza is probably the best at sea. :)

I like that on HAL, hot hors d 'oeuvres are served in the lounges for pre-dinner drinks.

HAL's room service is a full menu and you can ask to have the dinner menu delivered to your cabin and then order off it for dinner. The Princess room service menu is more limited but I find it "adequate." Many Princess ships have an International Cafe which is open 24/7. HAL has nothing comparable nor as good.

All Princess ships have a self-service laundry ($2/load), on every passenger deck on most ships, plus an iron and ironing board. I believe only the HAL Prinsendam has a self-serve laundry. However, HAL has a "all you can stuff in a bag" special available any time.

Princess entertainment and activities are much better than on HAL. It's not unusual to go to a lounge after dinner on a HAL cruise and find yourself the only one there. Princess has a wide variety of entertainment options in a number of lounges/theaters throughout the evening.

HAL ships are smaller and often, HAL itineraries are better, more unique, or the ships are better for the same itinerary as Princess. For instance, I've done a South American cruise on both Princess and HAL, and no question, the HAL cruise was much better and a better cruise experience.

The Princess Captain's Circle past-passenger program is much better than HAL's.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

I cruised one time on HAL. At night after dinner it was like a morgue. The few bars that were open (no performers) were empty so it was me and the bar staff which was not very exciting. It definitely was an older group and I think I was one of the youngest (late 50's at the time!).

The dining times on HAL are:

early seating: 4:00

Late seating: 5:30

Midnight buffet: 7:30

:rolleyes:

If you are looking in general how they compare, a lot said already. And I agree with Pam's ideas.

I guess I'd ask what you are looking for when you cruise? If it's itinerary, HAL DOES have some great trips. Princess is more "run of the mill".

I don't think you will be dissappointed with either unless you are looking for a real "party" ship. Princess seems livelier than HAL, but that too will depend on time of year and what itinerary. (on any line you cruise) But neither Hal nor Princess will be like a Royal, Carnival or NCL in the number of venues for livelier and later entertainment options. And those ships have all the bells and whistles of water slides, ice skating etc.

Service is great on each of these. You could throw Celebrity in the mix too as HAL, Princess and X cruisers tend to try all of those because of similarities. And remember ship size, style and "newness" varies within the SAME cruiseline.

We just did the HAL Eurodam, our first on HAL in years with many on Princess. We loved the small bathtub in the bathroom on our standard balcony cabin. Food was good...I preferred the buffet in HAL but edge in dining room to Princess. With the exception of the BB King Blues club, which HAL has introduced in some of their ships and was fantastic, the entertainment on HAL was a big notch below Princess.

I also like the Princess ships themselves better and prefer the design and decor, and missed the International Cafe and the pizza.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Previous posters have done a very nice job of explaining differences. Since we have sailed each line multiple times, let me add two more:

1) HAL used to have a quartet who played classical music each evening. I understand that this has been cut back to possibly a duo or a trio.

2) Princess has a 21st Century smoking policy. HAL is still stuck somewhere in the middle of the 20th Century.

The food IMO is better on Princess than HAL.

Staff on both lines great, with a slight nod to Princess, as most staff that I have met on that line have a better knowledge of English.

Entertainment? Princess used to be better than HAL, but since Princess has gone to half hour shows, HAL may have the edge if the line maintains its longer shows.

Ships. Princess, has all sizes, while HAL has only small to medium sized ships by to-day's standards. I prefer Princess.

As of this post one can take 'unlimited', wine on board HAL, but Princess is now only one bottle per person, and pay $15.00 per bottle over the limit.

It was reported a few years ago on these boards that both lines have very good medical centres.

After 5 cruises Princess gives past passengers, [platinum] some nice perks, and after 15 [elite] many more perks. Also Military Personal may be entitled to OBC, up to $250.00 on Princess.

Overall if prices and destinations are more or less the same, I would cruise Princess, but one would, IMO still get very good value from HAL.

john

Remember on HAL there is no fridge in the lower Cat. staterooms.

I've been on 14 Princess, 2 HAL and 2 Costa cruises. Of all, the best was HAL, Amsterdam (S.A. & Antarctica) and worst was HAL, Volendam (Aus./N. Caledonia/Vanauatu/Fiji). I'm very leery about ever booking with HAL again.

I'm Elite of Princess and a 3-star Mariner on HAL. The lines are similar in some ways, different in others.

HAL cabins have a larger "living" area with a small couch but much less storage. Princess cabins have a large open closet/dressing area with a wardrobe with floor-to-ceiling shelves. Access to the bathroom is from the closet area, not the hallway, so if someone gets up earlier or gets in later, they are less likely to disturb the other. HAL bathrooms are larger and many have bathtub/shower combos. I like that the desk in a Princess cabin has several drawers for storage but the HAL desk has a make-up mirror.

Muster on HAL is held outside, on deck, regardless of weather. Muster on Princess is held indoors where it's easier to hear and you're far more comfortable.

The buffet on HAL has more "served" stations and made-to-order sandwiches and wok stations. However, it's open for only a few hours each for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Princess buffet is more self-serve but there's tableside beverage service (whether it's juice, coffee, iced tea, a soda or a glass of wine) plus it's open continuously between 5:30am-11pm so you can get a full breakfast at 10:30am or full lunch after coming back at 2pm after a tour if you want. The Royal Princess has a made-to-order sandwich station as well as stir-fry/wok dishes. Princess pizza is probably the best at sea. :)

I like that on HAL, hot hors d 'oeuvres are served in the lounges for pre-dinner drinks.

HAL's room service is a full menu and you can ask to have the dinner menu delivered to your cabin and then order off it for dinner. The Princess room service menu is more limited but I find it "adequate." Many Princess ships have an International Cafe which is open 24/7. HAL has nothing comparable nor as good.

All Princess ships have a self-service laundry ($2/load), on every passenger deck on most ships, plus an iron and ironing board. I believe only the HAL Prinsendam has a self-serve laundry. However, HAL has a "all you can stuff in a bag" special available any time.

Princess entertainment and activities are much better than on HAL. It's not unusual to go to a lounge after dinner on a HAL cruise and find yourself the only one there. Princess has a wide variety of entertainment options in a number of lounges/theaters throughout the evening.

HAL ships are smaller and often, HAL itineraries are better, more unique, or the ships are better for the same itinerary as Princess. For instance, I've done a South American cruise on both Princess and HAL, and no question, the HAL cruise was much better and a better cruise experience.

The Princess Captain's Circle past-passenger program is much better than HAL's.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Pam, thanks for an insightful informative post. I really appreciated the time you took to make the comparisons. :) definitely food for thought for future cruising.

I cruised one time on HAL. At night after dinner it was like a morgue. The few bars that were open (no performers) were empty so it was me and the bar staff which was not very exciting. It definitely was an older group and I think I was one of the youngest (late 50's at the time!).

The dining times on HAL are:

early seating: 4:00

Late seating: 5:30

Midnight buffet: 7:30

:rolleyes:

This may be my "Australian-ness" but I have to ask. Is the "midnight buffet" actually a midnight thing, or open from 7:30-midnight? :confused: I have been trying to work out who eats at midnight & why?? :) Surely after the 5 course dinner people are rolling off to a show & then bed???:)

This may be my "Australian-ness" but I have to ask. Is the "midnight buffet" actually a midnight thing, or open from 7:30-midnight? :confused: I have been trying to work out who eats at midnight & why?? :) Surely after the 5 course dinner people are rolling off to a show & then bed???:)

I was just having fun with HAL. They have normal meal times. The midnight buffet which has gone away was served at midnight or maybe on hour before on the lido deck when they had a party with music. Most pax just went to the party and left the food alone.

If you go to the IC on the piaza deck late at night (say 11 pm or later) you will see pax getting snacks after a night of drinking and party going.

HAL's buffet closes up tighter than a drum at 8pm in my experience. They even close up the dessert station.

Two out of three of my all-time best cruises have been on HAL. They weren't perfect, service wasn't great but the itineraries were excellent, I had a ball and my overall cruise experience was outstanding.

We enjoy both HAL and Princess. We went on both last year--the Veendam and Ruby Princess. Both ships were great. HAL's entertainment is a little bit lacking--not quite the caliber of singers and dancers for the production shows. But HAL has also had some great acts that wouldn't be booked on Princess cruises. On the Veendam, it was a violin duo, who performed an energetic show. On Princess, it seems to be always comedians and magicians.

The food is about the same to me. I only had one disappointing entree last week on the Ruby. But the big difference is the availability of food. Princess wins.

I believe this is a thing of the past

No hot hors d' on our recent Veendam cruise but

lots of peanuts :D

(some stale, some not

This is true, BUT, you can ask for one when you book, and, I have never been charged for one.:)

john

On our recent Noordam and Veendam cruises the Refrig was $2.00 per day and could only be secured by going to the front desk and paying (put on cruise account) prior to delivery.

Although DW ordered on the web site there was no record of the order on either ship.

Have only cruised once with HAL, but enjoyed the trip. Balcony rooms did have a sofa and a tub/shower which was nice. Food I think was better on HAL and the service there was impeccable, far better than we ever have had on 15 Princess cruises. Self service laundry was available on the Maasdam and the laundry detergent was FREE in a self-serve dispenser. With all this good, we still prefer Princess. Why? Well, it is more upbeat and there is definitely more to do onboard. HAL definitely caters to the older demographics and the ship's décor reflects that also. Princess has more to offer in food choices, entertainment, and activities. We are not the party-type, and we do not do a lot other than relax a lot onboard, but knowing that there is so much available is a better choice for us. I think when choosing which line to go on, you need to look at the itineraries and excursions, dates, etc. and then make the choice. Enjoy whatever decision you make. Happy cruising.;)

On our recent Noordam and Veendam cruises the Refrig was $2.00 per day and could only be secured by going to the front desk and paying (put on cruise account) prior to delivery.

Although DW ordered on the web site there was no record of the order on either ship.

In each case our TA booked it, and we were never charged.

john