Just Need to do a bit of Venting

Good Morning everybody.

I just wanted to let you all know that the guy from customer service that I've been dealing with wrote me back this morning and this is what he said:

Good morning,

I apologise for the delay.

I have been in contact with the US office and they will refund the 4086.07 to your credit card used onboard. It seems their was some mix up with accounts and you may have been charged for somebody else's. The refund can take upto ten days to show in your account.

Again I apologise for the delay.

I want to thank everyone for their input and for letting me vent!

Just to let you know, when I called my credit card company (CBA) they opened an investigation disputing the charge, BUT they did not remove the charge from my card. I was still responsible for it until the outcome was otherwise. Since the charge took me over my credit limit, my minimum payment was the entire amount that was over my credit limit. So I had to pay a $1900 minimum payment to put my account back in the positive. Which hurt things for Christmas shopping, but oh well. There's always next year!

Hopefully this doesnt happen again!!!!

I haven't emailed the customer service agent back, but do you think I should ask for compensation?

Good Morning everybody.

I just wanted to let you all know that the guy from customer service that I've been dealing with wrote me back this morning and this is what he said:

Good morning,

I have been in contact with the US office and they will refund the 4086.07 to your credit card used onboard. It seems their was some mix up with accounts and you may have been charged for somebody else's. The refund can take upto ten days to show in your account.

Just to let you know, when I called my credit card company (CBA) they opened an investigation disputing the charge, BUT they did not remove the charge from my card. I was still responsible for it until the outcome was otherwise. Since the charge took me over my credit limit, my minimum payment was the entire amount that was over my credit limit. So I had to pay a $1900 minimum payment to put my account back in the positive. Which hurt things for Christmas shopping, but oh well. There's always next year!

I haven't emailed the customer service agent back, but do you think I should ask for compensation?

My feeling is that they should have been proactive and offered you a small token of appreciation for you having to take the time to deal with that. Surely they must realize that a $4000+ charge can disrupt many peoples credit.

I would have thought a $50 to $100 certificate towards a future cruise would have been a nice gesture.

Glad you got it all sorted out.

Just be aware that the exchange rate they will use to credit the money back to your account will be different from the one that was used when it was charged. This happened to me several years ago when I was also mistakenly charged ... a much much smaller amount mind you but the difference in the exchange rate was still significant enough for me a to contact customer services and asked to be reimbursed. This was a huge mistake on their part so please make sure you are not left out of pocket in any way.

Edited by easytiger

Good Morning everybody.

Good morning,

Good to know everything worked out for you!!

I'm just a bit frustrated, and was wondering if anyone has gone through something similar.

I disembarked off an RCI cruise 3 weeks ago and found out that they had overcharged my credit card by $4000! I've called and talked to customer service but between "trying to get in touch with the ship and the Christmas holidays, and contacting the main office in America" nothing has been done yet.

I'm usually a really patient person, and I've been polite and courteous, but it's been 3 weeks and $4000 isn't exactly chump change!

Ok vent over, thanks for reading.

Simple. Contest the chargé and don't pay it

I agree.

Contact the cc company, tell them that the card was charged without authorization, you will not pay it, they need to resolve it.

I would also inform them that if it not taken care of in a timely manner, I will cancel the cc and pay NONE of the outstanding balance. And I would do just that.

You think by threatening the cc company will resolve this in a way that would normally happen.

When you discover you have an overcharge on your credit card, you call the company that charged you and resolve it. Simple. If it is not resolved, then you call the CC company.

You tell them there is a charge on the card that is not yours and they'll immediately take it off and they will investigate. The charging company then has to prove that it's your charge.

Glad you got it sorted out - I'd be mightily ticked off at this point if I was you. In future though, just call your credit card company and dispute the charge. I've done this 2 or 3 times and its never an issue. Worst case scenario, it buys you some extra time to get the other party to fix it. I know one thing, 4 Grand would make me get on the phone to the cruise company early and often and I wouldn't give a damn who I had to talk to to get it fixed.

This is one reason why we use cash all the time on board. We know when we leave the ship, there will be no surprises when we get home and no shockers on the last night of the cruise when we close out our account. We have a budget and we stick to it. Its a great way to cruise.

Good Morning everybody.

Any amount in dispute should be withheld from any balance due requirement. Not to mention, they cannot make you responsible for the amount of the disputed charge (or any interest accrued on that amount) until after the investigation. I'll have to look up the regulation on the min pay due for dispute amounts that take you over limit, but most credit card companies would issue the provisional credit to avoid this. I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end, but this is contrary to my understanding of the law.

*Social Media Disclosure-I am an employee of JPMorgan Chase Card Services and am required to disclose when commenting online surrounding financial services.

Easytiger - thanks for the heads up on that! I will definitely make sure to notice that the ENTIRE charge is credited regardless of the exchange rate!

NBSJcruiser - we were going to pay our accounts with cash! Unfortunately we didnt think ahead to see that everything on the ship was charged in USD, and the exchange rate onboard was atrocious!! So we just used our credit card since the bank would give us a better exchange and left all our cash in the safe!!

Reney - I'm in Australia, so unfortunately, that's not how it works here. I actually just checked my account today and the charge is STILL on there. I'll give it 10 days like the customer service guy told me and if I don't have a credit, I'll be calling back!!

Reney - I'm in Australia, so unfortunately, that's not how it works here. I actually just checked my account today and the charge is STILL on there. I'll give it 10 days like the customer service guy told me and if I don't have a credit, I'll be calling back!!

I normally try to check location before responding. I am very sorry. You are correct, the dispute/chargeback rights I provided above are specific to cards issued in the US.

Now it makes sense why I could not figure out what credit card company was "CBA". :o