question on new tax when you disembark in texas

arcone

Hi what is the process the passenger go through when they disembark in Galveston Texas, In finding out if you purchase liquor and tobacco product or is it just cigerrattes and how much the new tax on liquor? Is it on the honor system or do they search your luggage?

Is there now two sections you need to get through first custom then texas tax station?

Such a shame we live in a tax everything country.. We should change to home of the brave land of the taxed..

One day we are gonna have to stand up to the big bad government and say no more..

Boston tea party part 2

Its a shame that TX seems to be such an unwelcoming port for cruisers. The taxes, the Bon Voyage, The Cheers program, not to mention the poor transportation system from the airport and port area.

I'm only assuming this from what I know at this point. I guess I will find out if I like the port this fall from personal experience, but so far it sure seems a bit cruise industry unfriendly.

There is another thread going on about this and it appears the tax is for Texas residents only. The poster said that once through customs, Texans had to go through a separate line. I hope that it is only for Texas residents, otherwise I don't think I will bother sailing out of Galveston any more.

There is another thread going on about this and it appears the tax is for Texas residents only. The poster said that once through customs, Texans had to go through a separate line. I hope that it is only for Texas residents, otherwise I don't think I will bother sailing out of Galveston any more.

I read the same. I hope that's the case although I think it's unfortunate that anyone would have to pay this tax. If this turns out to be a PITA fo disembarkation when ships return the next step would be to make all cruise's from Texas to not have any duty free shopping and to require the cruiseline to collect the duty on liquor and tobacco purchased in other countries.

Edited by Eng23

Not all texans just ones that purchased the taxable items will sent to duty line. There are people asking after you leave customs if your purchased and if you did they direct you to the 4 lines to pay duty. It is on honor system but if you are holding those booze boxes they will ask if you are a Texas resident or for you to show ID that you are not a Texan. It did not slow up me getting out from room to car was 15 minutes. As for the duty it varies there was a letter left in cabin for all the different price per size of container and cartoon. Still a deal on booze but I heard people say now tobacco was the same price once duty was applied.

Hi what is the process the passenger go through when they disembark in Galveston Texas, In finding out if you purchase liquor and tobacco product or is it just cigerrattes and how much the new tax on liquor? Is it on the honor system or do they search your luggage?

Is there now two sections you need to get through first custom then texas tax station?

Hi! I just got off the Magic today in Galveston. They stated it is just for Texas residents, if you are leaving the state within 48 hrs you don't have to claim it. I didn't save the paper telling us all the prices for the taxes but I remember 750 ml alcohol was $3.75 and a carton of cigarettes was $15.00. They do not search your luggage, it is an honor system. It is a station AFTER you go through customs literally right before you walk out the door and they had someone there asking if you had cigarettes or liquor, no search or anything or even asking everyone that came out, only certain folks. That's about all I know lol.

Not all texans just ones that purchased the taxable items will sent to duty line. There are people asking after you leave customs if your purchased and if you did they direct you to the 4 lines to pay duty. It is on honor system but if you are holding those booze boxes they will ask if you are a Texas resident or for you to show ID that you are not a Texan. It did not slow up me getting out from room to car was 15 minutes. As for the duty it varies there was a letter left in cabin for all the different price per size of container and cartoon. Still a deal on booze but I heard people say now tobacco was the same price once duty was applied.

I remember being stopped by a Texas Revenue agent about 5 years ago when disembarking at Galveston and being asked if I was a Texas resident, followed by asking how much liquor I was bringing into the state. In those days you were allowed 1 ltr and if you had more they would confiscate the additional liquor.

I tend to bring home 6-8 liters from my cruises and now sail almost entirely out of New Orleans and Tampa.

nother Vette driver

I remember being stoadditionalby a Texas Revenue agent about 5 years ago when disembarkitaxe Galveston and being asked if I was a Texas resident, followed by asking how much liquor I was bringing into the state. In those days you were allowed 1 ltr and if you had more they would confiscate the additional liquor.

I tend to bring home 6-8 liters from my cruises and now sail almost entirely out of New Orleans and Tampa.

nother Vette driver

Wow I did not know the they confiscate the additional liquor. I thought that there was only a

Fee you paid custom. Does this mean at Texas ports that if bringing over alotted one pays fee to customs and taxes on each bottle. That one can keep the bottles over 1 ltr? Is this only for Texas residents

Hi! I just got off the Magic today in Galveston. They stated it is just for Texas residents, if you are leaving the state within 48 hrs you don't have to claim it. I didn't save the paper telling us all the prices for the taxes but I remember 750 ml alcohol was $3.75 and a carton of cigarettes was $15.00. They do not search your luggage, it is an honor system. It is a station AFTER you go through customs literally right before you walk out the door and they had someone there asking if you had cigarettes or liquor, no search or anything or even asking everyone that came out, only certain folks. That's about all I know lol.

So if you were a Texan how would they know Wether or not you left the State within 48 hours:confused:

Seem like all you have do is say you are heading to Louisiana to finish your vacation :)

Wow I did not know the they confiscate the additional liquor. I thought that there was only a

Fee you paid custom. Does this mean at Texas ports that if bringing over alotted one pays fee to customs and taxes on each bottle. That one can keep the bottles over 1 ltr? Is this only for Texas residents

Well, as I said the 1 liter limit was some years ago. Now, if I read the statute right, we may be able to bring more liquor off the ship. Just have to pay taxes and fees.

And yes, all of this applies to Texas residents only.

So if you were a Texan how would they know Wether or not you left the State within 48 hours:confused:

Seem like all you have do is say you are heading to Louisiana to finish your vacation :)

The law applies to all us Texans. I can guarantee that Revenue Agents won't entertain any shallow reasons why a resident would be exempt from complying with the law.

As a background, for many years folks would just drive across the border to do all their liquor shopping and there was a lot of liquor making it across the Rio for resale throughout the state and bypassing state taxes.

All in all, the new liquor statute is not that big of a deal. We have no income taxes, are energy independent and export oil and gas, got nice beaches, good weather (mostly), the Hill Country, lots of beef and fine BBQ's, Big Bend and on and on. And lots of really good folk. Find another state where folks proudly fly their state flag over their homes as much as we do. Yup, we can live with that small tax.

The law applies to all us Texans. I can guarantee that Revenue Agents won't entertain any shallow reasons why a resident would be exempt from complying with the law.

As a background, for many years folks would just drive across the border to do all their liquor shopping and there was a lot of liquor making it across the Rio for resale throughout the state and bypassing state taxes.

All in all, the new liquor statute is not that big of a deal. We have no income taxes, are energy independent and export oil and gas, got nice beaches, good weather (mostly), the Hill Country, lots of beef and fine BBQ's, Big Bend and on and on. And lots of really good folk. Find another state where folks proudly fly their state flag over their homes as much as we do. Yup, we can live with that small tax.

I visited Texas quite a few years ago but didnt realize you had no income tax?

Larado on the border was a bit of a strange place though!

They have you show proper travel arrangements to prove you are leaving the state and not staying. At least that's what it said.

Edited by Nightlockkk

So I guess gov. oops reality tour didn't make any companies move to Texas.

So now they jam it to the little people.

Don't be a freak>

It's really no big deal. The good things about being a Texan far outweigh this tax (my earlier post). We've had some form of liquor control for a number of years at the port of Galveston and at our borders. This is just another adjustment.

I would've suggested you just deal with it cause it's almost at a non-issue level...except you're not even a Texan. A little stirring of the pot, maybe?

Here's some more info

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/home/press_releases/2013/20131220.asp

TABC Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE December 20, 2013

TABC to begin collecting taxes at Texas seaports January 2014.

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) will begin collecting personal importation taxes on alcohol and cigarettes from passengers returning from cruises in Galveston in 2014.

On January 4, 2014, cruise travelers disembarking out of the Port of Galveston will need to pay the tax for alcoholic beverages and cigarettes imported into the state that were purchased either on the ship's duty free store or at a foreign port of call. TABC currently operates 20 ports of entry collection facilities along the Texas-Mexico border where the tax is presently collected. During the recent legislative session, the agency was appropriated funding to begin tax collection of imported alcoholic beverages and cigarettes from seaport facilities. The Galveston Port facility will be the first seaport location where this tax will be collected with plans to extend to the Houston-Bayport facility in the fall of 2014.

Section 107.07 of the Alcoholic Beverage Code, in effect for over 40 years, requires that each adult (21 years old and over) importing alcoholic beverages into the state for personal consumption pay the state tax and an administrative fee of $3.00. The law limits personal importation by an adult to once every 30 days with limits of: 1 gallon of distilled spirits, 3 gallons of wine, and 288 ounces of malt beverages (24 12-ounce containers). Persons importing alcoholic beverages must personally accompany the product as it enters the state. View our detailed list of the taxes for both cigarettes and alcoholic beverages.

Tax collection points staffed with TABC personnel will be situated at both terminals 1 and 2 at the Galveston facility located where patrons come through the U.S. Customs secondary checkpoint. Passengers will be able to pay the taxes with either cash or credit cards.

TABC personnel have worked with Port of Galveston officials to ensure that the tax collection is done efficiently and with limited disruption of port operations and delays to the passengers.

For more information contact:

Karen Smithwick, Ports of Entry Director at 512-739-9801

Carla Rios, Ports of Entry Quality Assurance Analyst at 512-206-3351

Carolyn Beck, Director of Communications at 512-206-3347

• 2 years later...

I am a resident of Oklahoma. I sent an email to the Texas ABC requesting to know if residents of other states who are only passing through Texas are required to pay the import taxes on alcoholic beverages. Fowling is their response.

POE <poe@tabc.texas.gov> Today at 8:23 AM

To

Peter Duggan

Message body

Good Morning Mr. Duggan,

All persons importing alcohol or cigarettes from a foreign country are required to pay taxes on the alcohol and cigarettes that are imported into Texas. The taxes we collect on alcohol and cigarettes gets put into the States General Revenue Fund which helps pay for new and updated roads throughout our state.

I hope next time you take a cruise consider Galveston as they have a lot to offer travelers.

Dustin Carter

Quality Assurance Analyst

Ports of Entry

Field Operations Division

512-206-3351 – Office

Dustin.carter@tabc.texas.gov

... lots of beef and fine BBQ's,...

There are a lot of things I miss about Texas but good brisket is number 1.

I love living in Florida but it's hard to find good BBQ brisket like I had almost every day in high school when I worked at a BBQ joint just outside of Dallas.

I don't think such an arrangement would be legal or even possible to enforce. They have no way of knowing what state you reside in from your passport.

I don't think such an arrangement would be legal or even possible to enforce. They have no way of knowing what state you reside in from your passport.

The Texas ABC agents are setup just outside the door from Customs. They ask passengers if they have alcoholic beverages in their luggage. I don't know what they do if you say no. I don't know if they have the authority to require you to open your luggage if they think you are lying. When I went through I paid the tax because I was not going to take a chance. My next cruise I chose to depart from New Orleans. I felt ripped off by Texas.

Edited by PETE45

Since so many advocate that a passport is an unnecessary expense for travelling on a closed-loop cruise, it would be a relatively easy thing to determine based on photo identification (i.e. drivers license, state-issued ID card, etc).

As to the legality and enforcement, try being a resident of Texas and bringing in liquor or cigarettes from a cruise then letting us know what happens.

Since so many advocate that a passport is an unnecessary expense for travelling on a closed-loop cruise, it would be a relatively easy thing to determine based on photo identification (i.e. drivers license, state-issued ID card, etc).

As to the legality and enforcement, try being a resident of Texas and bringing in liquor or cigarettes from a cruise then letting us know what happens.

The tax is for anyone bringing liquor or cigarettes back, not just for Texans. You will see the signs as you're going through the terminal, and a customs agent will likely ask you as you pass through. Yet another reason not to cruise out of Galveston.

http://www.galvestoncruisetips.com/new-tax-on-alcohol-and-cigarettes-to-hit-galveston-cruisers/

Edited by winddawn

This is NOT a new tax, they have been collecting it I know for at least 40 years when crossing the border between Mexico and Texas. It is fairly new at the port. Texas does NOT have a state income tax, so we need to get it where we can.