Medicine bag......

Esilef

I make a mental list in my head of all the things we may encounter health or injury wise and then I pack my bag according to that. I don't go crazy though if my issue is that serious then we head down to the infirmary. Iv been to the infirmary before and received great care! But I refuse to run there if I have a blister on my foot or a bad headache that's what my personal medicine bag is for. Also if someone has a reoccurring medical issue most doctors will make sure you are covered with the proper meds that you need if your situation was to occur while you are away.

Nothing is required, unless you're already ill or suffer recurring illnesses. Minor stuff (eg. paracetemol) can be bought from the ship's shop. Major stuff (eg. antibiotics) can't be had over the counter in Britain anyway, you need a prescription, so it's not an option for me. If you're frequently ill, no doubt you need some stuff, but otherwise no.

Huh? help me out here..

The media is reporting that the mother & daughter died of food poisoning. Indonesia is claiming that it was an allergic reaction. Autopsy to be done in Australia.

My post was created based on reading how many medications they had taken overseas and an authority on the topic had advised that 29 different medications was cautious but practical for overseas travel.

An interesting side note: All medications carry an expiration date. But if you are in a pinch, don't hesitate to use them if you don't have an alternative. Medications really don't "go bad", but after the expiration date, the manufacturer will no longer stand by the efficacy. In reality, it's more of a liability thing than anything else. Most medications are completely stable, or lose a very small amount of their efficacy over a long period of time. I tell this to patients so that if they are in a pinch, they still have something. Case in point is when someone calls me with an asthma exacerbation and they discovered their inhaler expired a few months ago. Well, using an inhaler that's only 95% effective is better than nothing at all!

Obviously it's always good practice to keep things current, but if you are in a pinch, usually you're better off than you might think!;)

Within reason... Antibiotics are one of the things I'd be most concerned about having gone bad as reduced efficacy can make an infection harder to treat (similar to discontinuing too soon). Also pills that have been opened can be hygroscopic (absorb water) and can mildew. Also certain meds can convert to toxic byproducts, although uncommon, one example is tetracycline - a common antibiotic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanconi_syndrome)

Just wondering if you don't mind me asking what is required to be packed in our cruising medicine bag?

Sea sickness tablets

Gastro stop

Aspirin

I don't believe that anything is "required". The cruise line doesn't require you to take anything medicinal with you.

Our bag has the following:

Tylenol - adults and kids

Advil-adults and kids

Pepto bismol

Gravol- adults and kids

Polysporin spray

Band aids

Gauze and medical tape

Tensor bandage

Rehydration salts

Prescription antibiotics from travel medicine clinic if so advised

Benedryl

Some sort of cold medication, usually Tylenol cold

Anti-itch cream

Bug repellant

Sunscreen

After reading this thread, I'm going to bring the polysporin eye drops too, I haven't used them often but when we do need them they are very helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just went to the chemist and she advised me that on large ships they would have a doctor on board for anything critical.

We will take all prescription medication with us and a few of the other might needs.

For the gooey stuff that we do not use much of I'll put into contact lens cases. Really good for Neosporin and Vaseline.

Meds I try to buy blister packs and just take a 'leaf' or two. I'll cut or copy the part of the box with the info on it.

Just be aware that some countries regard over the counter cold remedies such as Sudafed, Tylenol, Advil etc and pain relief containing codeine as banned drugs.

We are cruising in Asia later this year and Japan will not allow Sudafed point blank as it contains a banned substance and I am having to fill out many forms just to take in one single pack of Co-Codamol for a prolapsed disc!

Middle Eastern countries also have fierce bans on several medications even if you have a doctors letter and a prescription.

Please check all medicines - even common over the counter ones - before you travel.

Osfan

Tylenol and Advil? Never heard of these being banned. Which countries ban them?

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Just wondering if you don't mind me asking what is required to be packed in our cruising medicine bag?

Sea sickness tablets

Gastro stop

Aspirin

I also have: anti-diarrhea

Alka Seltzer

Bandaids, antibiotic cream (Bacitracin)

cold pills, cough syrup, cough drops

Extra Rx meds

anti-itch cream (Cortisone)

Airborne

Hand wipes

Lip balm

Eye drops

Edited by NMLady

For the gooey stuff that we do not use much of I'll put into contact lens cases. Really good for Neosporin and Vaseline.

Meds I try to buy blister packs and just take a 'leaf' or two. I'll cut or copy the part of the box with the info on it.

Take a look at minimus.biz for travel size items of all kinds of things.

Carrying antibiotics "just in case" is simply a bad idea. It results in over treatment, can interfere with culture results in serious illness, and contributes to antibiotic resistance. If someone needs an antibiotic, the responsible thing to do is seek professional medical attention to make sure the appropriate treatment is used.

Opinions on whether or not to carry antibiotics or the misuse of said medicine has absolutely NOTHING to do with the topic at hand.

Obviously, a few people here either skipped over the Laura S thread or read it and chose not to follow her guidelines. Thats exactly why i said things here will never change unless these rules are enforced.

Typica Cruise Critic behavior.

Im not reporting anyone because Im not a rat but I am however SMDH.

Ryano, I'm totally confused here. What guidelines are you referring to and what would be reported? Not taking issue. Just don't understand what you are talking about.

During flu season, some may suggest traveling with tamiflu, just in case. Seeing it must be started within a set amount of time after onset of symptoms, if you need to hunt around to get a supply it could take too long. If you are ill with flu, you likely will not be up to searching for a doctor to prescribe tamiflu and get the Rx filled. The ship may not have a sufficient supply.

If you are an 'at risk' person with existing conditions or whatever, speak with your physician about traveling with tamiflu.

Those that have been to Haiti w/in a year need to see the doctor anyway, because you need to be tested if you have flu like symptoms.

Tylenol and Advil? Never heard of these being banned. Which countries ban them?

I believe the reference in that post was for Tylenol containing codeine. That requires Rx in U.S. In Canada, Acetemetephine w/ low amount of codeine can be purchased without Rx. Countries that do not permit narcotic medications to be carried could outlaw that product.

all antibiotics are not created equal and to just use an antibiotic because you THINK you need one is not good. first you need to know how to take them, when to take them, what other Rx that you take they may affect, etc.. how would most of you decide when you needed to take an antibiotic, how much you needed to take and for how long?

I'll put into contact lens cases. Really good for Neosporin and Vaseline.

why would you want to pollute those items by transferring them?

Just to clarify, I still have my Z-pak from last year. I never used it, and haven't yet. I very rarely take any type of drugs, I don't even like to take tylenol!

I carry the Z-pak so if I do get sick, I have it. Apparently my doctor is ok with it. I also always buy trip insurance and would be able to go to the infirmary if I got sick. Also, if I got sick, I would not be running around the ship, I would stay in my cabin.

I would have to say I am not the only person that carries some type of antibiotic in my bag. Sorry if this offends anyone, or if you don't believe in doing this. From now on maybe I should keep my comments to myself.

I take antibiotics also!! If you've ever had a diverticulitis attack you won't want to be in the middle of nowhere without help. I don't see a problem with it and neither does MY doc!

all antibiotics are not created equal and to just use an antibiotic because you THINK you need one is not good. first you need to know how to take them, when to take them, what other Rx that you take they may affect, etc.. how would most of you decide when you needed to take an antibiotic, how much you needed to take and for how long?

Uh, because I've seen my doc for the same problem and he's told me?

I take antibiotics also!! If you've ever had a diverticulitis attack you won't want to be in the middle of nowhere without help. I don't see a problem with it and neither does MY doc!

Now here is a situation where I agree. Certain diagnoses do merit being in this situation. However the vast majority of those who seek or take antibiotics prior to, or while traveling do not need them, and should not be taking them.

Carrying antibiotics "just in case" is simply a bad idea. It results in over treatment, can interfere with culture results in serious illness, and contributes to antibiotic resistance. If someone needs an antibiotic, the responsible thing to do is seek professional medical attention to make sure the appropriate treatment is used.

This. If you have travel insurance that includes medical, it will cover most if not all of a visit to the ships doctor.

There are two reasons that we have developed a lot of antibiotic resistant bacterial. The first is overuse of antibiotics, parents who have insisted that the doctor give their kids antibiotics for the sniffles, and doctors who have done so because it's easier than arguing with a parent.

The second is the use of antibiotics in cattle, horses, and chickens which have subsequently entered out food chain in chicken and beef products and by products. Everything from eggs to Jello to milk to meat is full of antibiotics these days, unless you buy organic and antibiotic free. Fortunately this practice is illegal in most of Europe and many US farmers have begun to shun it.

Stepping off my soapbox....

We take the following:

Advil

Imodium

Zantac

DayQuil/NyQuil

Cough lozenges

Cold-Eze lozenges

Allegra

Antibiotic ointment

BandAids

Two larger bandages (scraped knee sized)

A couple alcohol swabs

Gloves (my husband is a first responder and goes no where without them)

I have tweezers in my makeup bag, and every ship we've sailed had seasickness tablets available for the taking either at guest services or outside the infirmary. Other than the Advil and Imodium, we take a 2-3 day or dose supply of everything else on that list. If we need more, we buy it at a store in port or from the ship store.

We had a discussion about antibiotics on this thread before but would you believe all the posts got deleted, presumably by a moderator.

Apparently it's a sensitive subject.

And that's why some posts don't make sense, they were referring to the ones that got deleted.

Edited by DrD