What will happen to my wine bottle afterwords?

maggiekoolcruiser

Hello,

Was wondering what will happen to my bottle of wine after taking it to PG for dinner ? We plan on going 1-2 times on our cruise. More times at Tamarind. So if we only go once, would we just take the rest back to our cabin or can they transfer it to tamarind or MDR ? And if we go twice, will they typically store it for us till next time at PG ?

Also what will happen if put my wine bottles in my checked in luggage( not the carryons) ? We're going next month so new policy I believe will be in effect.

Thank you so much :)

Edited by maggiekoolcruiser

We ate the PG one night, bought a bottle of wine. We did not finish it, but told the wine steward where would be eating the next night, which was to be in the MDR, the night it was their. The wine steward in the MDR brought to us the next night. I don't about taking it to our cabin instead, we did not ask to do that. I see no reason couldn't have though. Truthfully I have never saw anyone walking around the ship carrying a bottle of wine.

Just tell the wine steward what dining room you will be dining in the next evening.

They will be happy to label your bottle and store it for you.

From HAL's site:

New Policy effective January 31, 2014:

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in their carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line screens luggage as part of our standard security process and reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage. A corkage fee of US$20.00 (subject to change) applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption. In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added).

I wonder if the limit for carry-on wine is real or just theoretical. Cunard has the same policy, but many people board with a case or even more of their favourite wine or Scotch. I have never bothered bringing any alcohol on board Cunard, but I have read that they reserve the right to limit it, but in fact they do not.

I wonder if the limit for carry-on wine is real or just theoretical. Cunard has the same policy, but many people board with a case or even more of their favourite wine or Scotch. I have never bothered bringing any alcohol on board Cunard, but I have read that they reserve the right to limit it, but in fact they do not.

No one will know until after January 31st!

I wonder if the limit for carry-on wine is real or just theoretical. Cunard has the same policy, but many people board with a case or even more of their favourite wine or Scotch.
I believe that at least at first they will be strict about allowing only 1 bottle pp and storing any additional, to be returned on the last night of the cruise. After people have become accustomed to that limit HAL may begin to overlook occasional violations.

No one will know until after January 31st!

I hope a little common sense rules and they will permit a few bottles be brought back on board after excursions to wineries. It makes no sense to sponsor/sell a tour to a winery and tell guests they can't have any of the wine at dinner they have sampled on their tour.

The wineries likely will have something to say when/if they see tour participants aren't buying any because HAL won't permit them to have it while aboard.

I would plan that any wines bought on shore excursions would be held until your last cruise day. During our recent December cruise on the NA, I noted that HAL was screening all packages returning to the ship and seeking liquor bottles. I remember the lady specifically asking for all bottles, and there being lots of packages of bottles around her. I have no idea what was in these packages and I have no idea what she was doing with them. We rarely drink alcohol of any sort so this policy has little impact on us, so we just walk on by her.

Edited by cbr663

I would plan that any wines bought on shore excursions would be held until your last cruise day. During our recent December cruise on the NA, I noted that HAL was screening all packages returning to the ship and seeking liquor bottles. I remember the lady specifically asking for all bottles, and there being lots of packages of bottles around her. I have no idea what was in these packages and I have no idea what she was doing with them. We rarely drink alcohol of any sort so this policy has little impact on us, so we just walk on by her.

We never bring alcohol aboard ships either but until Jan. 31, HAL permits guests to bring wine and champagne but no other liquor. The bags you saw collected must have been liquor other than wine or champagne. That is returned to guests the last night of the cruise. Wine they can bring to their cabin, for the next several weeks. After that, only one bottle pp will be permitted on embarkation day.

I don't even think it is necessary to tell your steward where you will be dining the next evening. The unfinished bottle goes into some storage area, and you just tell the steward at wherever you will dining the next evening, that you have a bottle being stored.

We have been on quite a few cruises -- Caribbean -- Pacific -- Repositioning cruises -- where there was a table set up inside just beyond the scanner where a person was assigned to collect bottles of alcohol. Most times they use luggage tags and write your name and cabin number on them. Then you get them back the last full day of the cruise.

Moot question in Queen's Grill. Passengers are given a free bottle of spirits or wine for them to use in the cabin.... that's right ... FREE... per person! If you require another bottle... your butler will bring another.

Stephen

I still don't understand the wording of the new policy. How can they collect their $20. corkage fee if they don't allow you to bring a bottle of wine when in port?

Policy is quite clear. Corkage fee of $20 per bottle applies to bottles brought on board at embarkation and is collected when wine is brought to MDR or lounge. Wine drank in your room does not trigger a corkage fee.

Policy is quite clear. Corkage fee of $20 per bottle applies to bottles brought on board at embarkation and is collected when wine is brought to MDR or lounge. Wine drank in your room does not trigger a corkage fee.

Actually, it is not clear to me. It says I can only bring a single bottle when I embark. Does that mean that HAL is giving up the chance to collect $20 corkage fees on additional wine brought aboard, either on embarkation or in the ports? Think of the thousands of dollars of potential revenue they are ignoring.

Actually, it is not clear to me. It says I can only bring a single bottle when I embark. Does that mean that HAL is giving up the chance to collect $20 corkage fees on additional wine brought aboard, either on embarkation or in the ports? Think of the thousands of dollars of potential revenue they are ignoring.

Yes, that is what it means.

Does that mean that HAL is giving up the chance to collect $20 corkage fees on additional wine brought aboard, either on embarkation or in the ports?

Or $18, $25, or any other amount. That's exactly what it means.