"Live" from the Legend of the Seas - January 13, 2014

Thanks for the live review, DW and I did the holidays cruise and the overall experience was far above expectation. I could not believe a ship that old could be in such fine cosmetic condition.

One of the "healthy" aspects I liked about the Park Café was that the items are served to you, you never touch a serving utensil. The chili breakfast burrito thingys and a couple prefilled cups of sliced cantaloupe were my go to breakfast many days. And that sliced NY strip on the pretzel bun was enjoyed many times for lunch.

I found the Park Cafe's evening fare a bit disappointing (boiled hotdogs and sub-par pizza), especially since the Windjammer closed at 9pm.

Keep it coming!

Thanks for the live review' date=' DW and I did the holidays cruise and the overall experience was far above expectation. I could not believe a ship that old could be in such fine cosmetic condition.

One of the "healthy" aspects I liked about the Park Café was that the items are served to you, you never touch a serving utensil. The chili breakfast burrito thingys and a couple prefilled cups of sliced cantaloupe were my go to breakfast many days. And that sliced NY strip on the pretzel bun was enjoyed many times for lunch.

I found the Park Cafe's evening fare a bit disappointing (boiled hotdogs and sub-par pizza), especially since the Windjammer closed at 9pm.

Keep it coming![/quote']

that is good to hear....did you do a review of your trip? I am trying to read as much as I can on Royal/Legend - since I haven't sailed Royal in a long time. Thanks for all the tidbits!

OMG Lisa - what a wonderful job you are doing :) Just checked out your pictures on Phtobucket - they were GREAT !!

I hope you know how much this review is appreciated by all of us future Legend cruisers! :D:D

If you have time, could you please mention the show schedule for each evening - my last cruise on RC almost all the shows for late dining were at 7 - wondered if this cruise would follow the same pattern.

Thanks again, and don't take TOO much of your valuable cruise time to keep us crazy people satiated !:eek:

Jane

Let’s answer some more of the pre-cruise questions!

JerriB wanted to know the main dining room hours on sea days:

Breakfast 8am – 10am

Lunch Noon – 1:30pm

Also the bulletin board is located at Guest Services on Deck 5.

JerriB and Mlbcruiser asked about the show times for late dining:

The shows for late dining seem to vary. Tonight the late dining show is at 10:45. I will let you know about tomorrow.

EatonDoolittle asked about the movies in room and at the pool. Pool movies so far have been Ocean’s 13 and Pacific Rim. They are played once in the afternoon. In room we noticed RIPD on the tv. We found it in German and Jeff Bridges character sounds hysterical with a German accent.

Since we are on the topic of the outdoor screen, CruisinCadie asked about the volume. I had no problem reading my kindle during yesterday’s movie, so it’s not too loud. Now if you sit near the group of New Yorkers we encountered this morning… LOL.

Mlbcruiser also asked about Muster. It is held at 4pm.

Debshomespun wanted to know about Zumba…there is no Zumba. Here are the classes:

Yoga $12

Pilates $12

Indoor Cycling $12

Vitality Stretch Free

Fab Ab’s Free

The Solarium Pool is warm…not sure if heated, but the water is just fine.

Bands:

Power Play

Roy’s Duo (pool deck)

Guitar melodies with “Ronnie”

City Lights Trio

Piano bar music with “Chuck” in the Schooner Bar

Lisa

It’s been a windy day today. We ended up finding a sheltered area on the Promenade Deck forward that allowed us to read without being blown away. After a couple of hours we went to the dining room for lunch. We found 4 of our CC friends and ate together.

I absolutely love the Tutti Salad Bar and look forward to it on our cruises. It’s a great way for me to have a WW friendly lunch since I control all of the ingredients. Walt had a BBQ pork sandwich with fries and seemed to like it.

After lunch it was time to get to the M&M. I am glad I looked at our invitation since the location changed again. It was up in the Viking Crown Lounge on Deck 11 at 1:15pm. It was awesome to meet lots of people from the roll call. I did get a strange request to send an email for one of the group members. I thought it was an odd request, but the Southerner in me said “sure”. If anyone else asks this of me I will decline since it is costing me time and money. After all, everyone has access to the internet and computers…just for a price.

P1140011_zps534d5529.jpg

P1140012_zpseda28ae9.jpg

Ok, back to the M&M. We had a great turnout with around 50 people. The activities director ran it and he is hilarious. He went around the room and had all of us introduce ourselves. We hung out up there for a good hour and then wandered back to the cabin. Walt needed a nap and I wanted to do 30 minutes of Pilates. Yes, I downloaded exercise videos to my laptop so I could keep up with pilates and yoga. What has happened to me??? J

Tonight is formal night and the meet the captain reception. It’s also Motown at the theater. So, I will probably not post again until tomorrow morning.

Sailaway Pic

P1130001_zps25acb949.jpg

Today’s Pool Outfit

P1140008_zps3bf25aec.jpg

Bathroom Organizer…first time to try this and love it!

P1140007_zps6c352104.jpg

As always, more to come…oh, and great wi-fi connection in cabin 7112

Lis, it's Dick H. Glad to see you guys are having a great time, and your posts are great. We've done 18 cruises, and have hit your stops several times. Interested to see your thoughts when you get there. I'm getting the cruise itch again, since we haven't gone since our western Med. cruise in 2009, when I had the heart attack when we were leaving Marseilles for Barcelona and debarkation. Knowing you, you've got this pretty well planned out, but feel free to let me know if you need any suggestions. :)

Edited by Screwbit

Good Morning CC’ers! And a special shout out to my sister, TexanInOhio, for following along on this adventure.

Last night was the first formal night and we noticed people coming to the R Bar in formal attire at 5pm. I felt very under dressed since I was still in my bikini and cover-up. Oh well, we stayed until 6pm and then headed to the cabin to get changed.

Walt was very dapper in his tux and I wore my Calvin Klein gown. Before dinner we went to the Viking Crown Lounge for cocktails (B.E. is a great bartender) and I met Gulliver Travels. Gulliver goes on every vacation with a nice couple from California. Of course I had to have my picture taken with the gnome.

P1010508_zps71ef1f3b.jpg

We shared a table with another couple for dinner. Walt and I both had the filet and it was fantastic! So far I have been impressed with the food onboard. But, I am not a “foodie”, so your experience may differ. I had the soufflé for dessert and it was ok, but nothing I have to try again. Oh, and there was escargot, so I had that too. Thank you Walt for making me try escargot years ago…I love it!

The Temptations Tribute Show was after dinner and the theater was standing room only. We watched 10 minutes of it and they were wonderful. But I could not stand for the entire show since my feet were bugging me, so we left. I think everyone from MTD and early seating went to the 9pm show. The theater is small, so plan on getting there early if you want a decent seat (or a seat).

Last night we were told to move our clocks ahead one hour.

This morning we went up to the Park Café for breakfast and I tried their healthy version of the egg mcmuffin and Walt had oatmeal. We both enjoyed having a light breakfast up there again. The staff at the Park Café also work at Chops. They are a very friendly group of servers.

Now for the big news. We had our appointment with Carolina, the Loyalty Ambassador, and booked our next cruise. We will be on the Oasis on November 29th for our 10 year anniversary. Yes, we booked a balcony and even better…we received a fantastic resident rate for Tennessee!!! Woo Hoo, doing my happy dance.

That’s it for now from the beautiful Caribbean…

The Temptations Tribute Show was after dinner and the theater was standing room only. We watched 10 minutes of it and they were wonderful. But I could not stand for the entire show since my feet were bugging me, so we left. I think everyone from MTD and early seating went to the 9pm show. The theater is small, so plan on getting there early if you want a decent seat (or a seat).

Now for the big news. We had our appointment with Carolina, the Loyalty Ambassador, and booked our next cruise. We will be on the Oasis on November 29th for our 10 year anniversary. Yes, we booked a balcony and even better…we received a fantastic resident rate for Tennessee!!! Woo Hoo, doing my happy dance.

That’s it for now from the beautiful Caribbean…

Wow, congrats on the Oasis booking and on the 10 year anniversary.

On Legend we found to get seats for the show consistently was to show up about 30 minutes early. So we brought our Kindles and ordered drinks to enjoy the wait. :)

There have been several questions about odors and after a significant sniffathon, Walt and I have come to the following conclusions:

Deck 3 - we walk the entire length on starboard and port sniffing along the way and smelled nothing but room deodorizers.

Deck 7 - on the port side between cabins 7080 and 7088 there is a distinct foul odor at times. Not all the time, but occasionally. Since we are not in these cabins, I don't know if you can smell it in there. Word to the wise, avoid these cabins just in case. Our cabin is 7112 and it's fantabulous!

Lisa

Shout out to DickH...I have known you forever and did not know you were on CC! Howdy to my dear sweet friend. Much love be sent your way.

Wowee, the seas are rough today but the ship is handling it well. Walt and I hung out in our spot on the Promenade deck and I got some great video of the waves splashing up there. Since video is an internet time whore, I will post the video when we get home. Even though the waves are huge, we did not feel much on the ship. We did the MDR for lunch again and both had the Tutti Salad Bar. This is the first time that Walt tried it and he loved it.

P1150024_zps1955c493.jpg

P1150025_zps84cb5e3e.jpg

Message to Ducklite: I took pictures of the toiletries and sundries available on the ship and will post on your thread on the fashion board when we get home. I think the list by cruise line and ship is a good idea. I did have to explain to the store clerk what I was doing though. :D

After lunch I decided to hit the gym since it was way too windy to walk on Deck 10. We came back to the cabin for a quick shower and then it was the wine tasting. 11 of us did this which surprised me. The wines are phenomenal, and I highly recommend splurging for this. Walt is not a red wine guy, but he drank all three reds and actually liked them. Along with the wines was a cheese plate and the most incredible blue cheese EVER. The chef soaks blue cheese in port wine overnight and then makes cheese balls out of them. It took blue cheese to a whole new level. Sheep, if you are reading this then you must make me some Port Balls. :D

Walt is taking a nap this afternoon and I am really enjoying the balcony. It’s nice to have an outdoor place to sit and drink wine while he rests. Yes, once you go balcony you never go back.

Balcony Door Tip: the locked position of the balcony door handle is vertically down. Turn the handle vertically up to slide the door open and close easily. If you do a quarter turn, then you will get a bicep workout.

As always…more to come.

Lisa,

I am enjoying reading of your adventures. I sent Mom and Dad the link and screen shot of your post from this afternoon. They now can read your posts.

Enjoy your balcony and after our first cruise I refuse to not have one. The extra space (especially when the DH is sleeping) is wonderful.

Make sure you have the names of the wines so I can test drive them here in Ohio before our next cruise....... hmmmm I think I am going to start looking tonight.

Stacy aka the sister:D

We cruised the Caribbean Jan. 4-11, 2014 on Princess, and the seas were rough then also. Been cruising since 1998 and never saw such rough seas in the Caribbean. Coming back to Florida was much smoother with a following sea. Snorklers beware: we found snorkeling rather poor due to turbulent seas. Some excursions were cancelled on our cruise due to safety concerns in the water.

Wowee, the seas are rough today but the ship is handling it well. Walt and I hung out in our spot on the Promenade deck and I got some great video of the waves splashing up there.

After lunch I decided to hit the gym since it was way too windy to walk on Deck 10.

Lisa,

Theanks for the reassurance on the poolside movie volume.

I'm enjoying your review very much, and hate that I have over a year to wait until our cruise.

By the way, your sister in Ohio is a remote neighbor of ours--we live in Portage County, east of Akron.

Kathy

Lisa, I like all the pictures you are posting and I will be following you as we are going through the Panama on the Legend next year:)

How does the ship look?:confused:

Thank You for doing this for all of us to see;)

Carol:)

Hi! It's the Texan in PA :) It's so neat to read your "live" review on the cruise. It sounds like you two are really enjoying the vacation, and you'll have a lot of fun planning for the anniversary cruise too.

Edited by Smileys

Hello…Very nice "live" review of the Legend of the Seas. I’m enjoying the pictures (reminds me of our cruise) and you have such lovely dresses. I am looking forward to cruising on the Legend again.

I was on the Legend for the 15 night Westbound Panama Canal cruise 12 Nov 2013 and it was the best cruise ever. I did the wine tasting and thoroughly enjoyed it. We too had a really good turn-out for the event. Christopher, the ship’s “Cellar Master”, lead the tasting of the French wines (Lafite Reserve Speciale…). His assistant was Kamal. Christopher is very knowledgeable about wines and helped me on occasion select wines in the MDR. Kamal also worked Chef’s Table along with the charismatic and lovable Chef Rhudie, where wine is paired with each course of the meal.

Sounds like you are having a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for a great review. We are doing this cruise on Feb. 24 so I am really looking forward to your opinion of the port stops.

If you have time, I'd be curious, we are in 8048 which appears to be right above the area where you said the occasional foul smell is. Any chance you can run by there on the eighth deck and see if the same problem exists? If so I may be able to switch cabins.

Hello…Very nice "live" review of the Legend of the Seas. I’m enjoying the pictures (reminds me of our cruise) and you have such lovely dresses. I am looking forward to cruising on the Legend again.

I was on the Legend for the 15 night Westbound Panama Canal cruise 12 Nov 2013 and it was the best cruise ever. I did the wine tasting and thoroughly enjoyed it. We too had a really good turn-out for the event. Christopher, the ship’s “Cellar Master”, lead the tasting of the French wines (Lafite Reserve Speciale…). His assistant was Kamal. Christopher is very knowledgeable about wines and helped me on occasion select wines in the MDR. Kamal also worked Chef’s Table along with the charismatic and lovable Chef Rhudie, where wine is paired with each course of the meal.

Sounds like you are having a wonderful cruise.

Between Lisa's endorsement of the Wine Tasting and your thumbs-up on that and Chef's Table, I'm looking forward to both of those (already) booked reservations on our upcoming Legend cruise. Thank you, cruisebirdie, for the names and details.