Theater shows on Breakaway

Sizzlechest

I found a posting for the Breakaway dailies back in May of 2013. It appears there are 3 different shows in the theater for the entirety of the trip:

Rock of Ages

Magician

Burn the Floor

That's it? Is the Burn the Floor show the same as the one during diner in the Manhattan? I was on the Star to Bermuda 2 years ago and there was a different show every night with a grand finale on the last night called Elements, which was spectacular. Is this truly it? Can someone point me to some more recent dailies?

Yes, that's it.

The entertainment is done a bit differently on the newer ships. The theatre is a little small compared to the number of passengers and the shows repeat, so everyone gets the chance to see what they want without the whole ship going at the same time.

It doesn't matter that you won't be in the theatre every night as there are smaller venues like Headliners and Fat Cats where there is entertainment every night as well.

I believe that burn the floor is a shorter show when it's in Manhattan, but I didn't see either.

Edit to say, there is also Cirque Dreams in the Spiegel Tent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

I found a posting for the Breakaway dailies back in May of 2013. It appears there are 3 different shows in the theater for the entirety of the trip:

Rock of Ages

Magician

Burn the Floor

That's it? Is the Burn the Floor show the same as the one during diner in the Manhattan? I was on the Star to Bermuda 2 years ago and there was a different show every night with a grand finale on the last night called Elements, which was spectacular. Is this truly it? Can someone point me to some more recent dailies?

Nothing like Elements or other production shows in the theater on Breakaway when we cruised her. BUT plenty of other entertainment.

I have heard that BtF in the theater is longer and better than the one in the Manhattan; we enjoyed it a lot. The band was also great--I watched them along with the dancers.

Wow. On the Star there was a generic dancing show, Mad Mod (60's theme show), Magician, Shark Bait (jugglers), Acrobat duo, another variety show, and Elements. That was in addition to the Second City shows.

I don't mind paying for Cirque, but jeez. If I have dinner at the Manhattan when they have dancers, is it worth going to the shows?

I transcribed the "Look At Your Week" events from the dailies:

Day 1 - New York

11:00am Splash Academy Registration

11:00am Entourage Registration

1:00pm/2:00pm Guided Ship Tour

3:30pm Mandatory Life Boat Drill

4:15pm Sail Away Celebration

5:45pm/9:00pm Cirque Jungle Fantasy

7:45pm/10:15pm Burn the Floor

8:30pm Slam Allen Blues Band

8:30pm Family Drive in Movie

8:45pm Battle of the Sexes

9:00pm Howl at the Moon Dueling Pianos

10:00pm Motown Music Power Hour

Day 2 - At Sea

9:00am Nickelodeon's Pajama Jam

1:00pm Mr. Sexy Legs Competition

6:00pm Photos with Captain Evans Hoyt

7:00pm The Second City: Scriptless

7:45pm/10:15pm Burn the Floor

8:45pm What's My Line Game Show

10:45pm Norwegian's Night Out Party

Day 3 - At Sea

9:00am Nickelodeon's Pajama Jam

1:00pm Hot Dog Eating Contest

1:15pm Simon's Juggling Workshop

2:00pm Officers Profile and Q&A

3:00pm Deal or No Deal Win $5,000

6:00pm Burn the Floor "Steppin' Out"

7:00pm/10:00pm Rock of Ages

7pm/9pm/11pm The Second City

8:00pm Majority Rules Game Show

10:45pm 70's Disco Grove Dance Party

Day 4 - Heritage Wharf, Bermuda

7:00pm The Second City: A Night on the Town

7:00pm Rock of Ages

7:30pm Burn The Floor "Wanna Dance"

9:00pm Not so Newlywed Game Show

10:00pm Rock of Ages

10:30pm Dancing with Breakaway Stars

Day 5 - Heritage Wharf, Bermuda

6:30pm Burn The Floor "Steppin' Out"

7:00pm Family Sunset Carnival

7pm/9pm/11pm The Second City

8:45pm Deal or No Deal Win $5,000

10:00pm Rock of Ages

10:45pm GLOW

Midnight After GLOW

Day 6 - Heritage Wharf, Bermuda

5:00pm Nickelodeon Name That Game

5:45pm Cirque Jungle Fantasy

7:00pm The Second City

7:30pm Comedy/Magic Michael Hnney

8:00pm 55 To Stay Alive Game Show

9:00pm Totally Soaked Deck Party

9:00pm Cirque Jungle Fantasy

9:00pm The Second City

9:15pm Comedy/Magic Michael Finney

10:30pm Awesome 80's Party

10:30pm Fireworks Display

Day 7 - At Sea

12:30pm Dysfunktional Family Reunion

1:00pm Miss Breakaway Contest

2:00pm Deal or No Deal Win $5,000

2:15pm Splash Academy: Sea Superstar

3:00pm International Crew Talent Show

5:15pm/8:30pm Cirque Jungle Fantasy

7:00pm The Second City

7:45pm Burn the Floor

9:45pm Comedy/Magic Michael Finney

10:00pm Perfect Couple Game Show

We were on the BA last May after previously being on the Star and like you, we were kind of surprised at what seemed like limited entertainment in the main theater. The Burn the Floor show in the main theater was really great. We didn't see the smaller show in the Manhattan Room, but we would have watched the full BtF show twice. We found that we didn't really miss a show in the main theater every night as there are so many other things going on. We were able to take in the other entertainment like Howl at the Moon and Fat Cats without feeling like we were missing something.

Jen

I don't mind paying for Cirque, but jeez. If I have dinner at the Manhattan when they have dancers, is it worth going to the shows?

Yes, it is worth going to the theater to see the full Burn the Floor show. The Manhattan Room show is very short and condensed, not to mention if you're not at the tables right on the dance floor it's hard to see them all in action. The full show in the theater is free, so why not go and enjoy the show?

Yes, it is worth going to the theater to see the full Burn the Floor show. The Manhattan Room show is very short and condensed, not to mention if you're not at the tables right on the dance floor it's hard to see them all in action. The full show in the theater is free, so why not go and enjoy the show?

Thanks for this info. I've never been on the Breakaway, so I can't make a judgement. Then is it even worth scheduling dinner around the Manhattan Room just to see those excerpts? Is the wait shorter at the other MDRs?

Thanks for this info. I've never been on the Breakaway, so I can't make a judgement. Then is it even worth scheduling dinner around the Manhattan Room just to see those excerpts? Is the wait shorter at the other MDRs?

The Manhattan Room is more entertaining while you wait for your dinner, they either have a live band or the Burn the Floor dancers. However, it can get loud because of the band. On the Epic I was ready to pull my hair out because we were so close to the band. The Breakaway it didn't seem as loud.

If you happen to eat in the Manhattan Room while the dancers are there awesome, if not, you're not missing much.

Wait times are hit or miss, one night Savor and Taste were long waits and Manhattan room wasn't. One dining room opens at 5:30 either Taste or Savor, can't remember at the moment which one, and they get busy with people eating before the 7pm shows. My advice is to get in line early if you need to eat before a 7pm show.

Hope this helps you!

Wow. On the Star there was a generic dancing show, Mad Mod (60's theme show), Magician, Shark Bait (jugglers), Acrobat duo, another variety show, and Elements. That was in addition to the Second City shows.

I don't mind paying for Cirque, but jeez.

I'm sorry to say but if you expect Breakaway being like Star, you're going to have a really bad time. As already said, megaships on NCL are different in the means of entertainment so if you want traditional entertainment where you just go to one location every night and see a different show, then megaships are clearly not for you. (They are not for me either, but that's not because of entertainment, I had no problem with that on Epic - actually I preferred to have more possibilities on when to see or do most things.)

I looked at the list you wrote and at least I could have planned my week so that there is different (as in not exactly the same, for example there are variations of BtF and Second City shows) free entertainment every night, just like on pre-Epic ships - it does require planning and thinking though, it's not as easy as going to dinner every night at 6pm and then 7:30pm show in main theatre.

I was on Breakaway 2 weeks ago, there were 4 or 5 shows that repeated all week (2 different shows each night IIRC). Burn The Floor was the only one I went to in the theater. I didn't realize until now that those were the only shows in the theater. I went to shows if they sounded interesting, not because of where they were :)

The Slam Allen Blues was good, and if the weather's good on your trip, the club has seats outside on deck 8. One or 2 nights I sat outside and listened to them instead of inside the club.

I saw a little bit of the Revenge of the Sexes - not a show, but funny to watch.

I had dinner every night between 5.30 and 7, and the only time I had a wait was on one of the port days at 6.45 - I didn't realize that pretty much was the earliest time that everyone was back on ship, cleaned up from the beach etc, and heading to dinner. Except for that day (20 min wait), I had no wait at all. I usually went to Taste and Savor, I didn't like the Manhattan as much. (the food/service was the same in all 3 MDRs, it was more of the physical layout of the restaurants)

I ate solo though, no idea if there were waits for larger parties. I didn't plan my dinner time around the wait boards, although I did check them on my way down to see if any of the MDRs were red and go to one of the other ones. I don't remember that any of the MDR were red at the times I went.

Edited by LizG12

I'm sorry to say but if you expect Breakaway being like Star, you're going to have a really bad time. As already said, megaships on NCL are different in the means of entertainment so if you want traditional entertainment where you just go to one location every night and see a different show, then megaships are clearly not for you. (They are not for me either, but that's not because of entertainment, I had no problem with that on Epic - actually I preferred to have more possibilities on when to see or do most things.)

What is it supposed to be a given that the entertainment options will naturally be worse on a mega ship than an older and smaller ship? Is there some unwritten law of cruising that dictates the more you spend, the less you get?

I looked at the list you wrote and at least I could have planned my week so that there is different (as in not exactly the same, for example there are variations of BtF and Second City shows) free entertainment every night, just like on pre-Epic ships - it does require planning and thinking though, it's not as easy as going to dinner every night at 6pm and then 7:30pm show in main theatre.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. I found a different set of dailies and the schedule is a little different. I hope when I get within 45 days, someone posts some updated dailies. For example, I would really like to be part of the Family Sunset Carnival and GLOW party on day 5. Therefore, I shouldn't plan on seeing the Steppin' Out Burn the Floor or Rock of Ages that night. On the other hand, if I can't get a copy of the dailies in time, how will I know? I think the best idea will be to see the repeated shows as soon as possible as long as they don't conflict with something else. If you wait to the last moment, you might miss out. I'm only planning on two to three specialty dining reservations, but I'd like to base that also on the MDR's menu offerings. When I was on the Star, the menus for the day were available at the main desk. If we weren't ticked with what we saw, that's when we made the reservations for the other restaurants. (E.g., first night is lobster, so no specialty dining that day.)

What is it supposed to be a given that the entertainment options will naturally be worse on a mega ship than an older and smaller ship? Is there some unwritten law of cruising that dictates the more you spend, the less you get?

It's only your opinion that the options would be worse - fact is that it's different, not all people think that it's worse.

On the other hand, if I can't get a copy of the dailies in time, how will I know?

You don't. You can have perfectly good cruise without any planning in advance - I'd go as far as claiming that most people on any given cruise don't even know that dailies could sometimes be found here and they manage just fine.

It's only your opinion that the options would be worse - fact is that it's different, not all people think that it's worse.

Less is different. More is different. I'll take more. You can have less.

You don't. You can have perfectly good cruise without any planning in advance - I'd go as far as claiming that most people on any given cruise don't even know that dailies could sometimes be found here and they manage just fine.

People who don't know any better do have a good time. For example, I've been to Disney a few time and most people don't know all of the dining options available to them. They had a great time, but they could have had an even better time had they planned better. Ignorance isn't a point of view.

Edited by Sizzlechest

Less is different. More is different. I'll take more. You can have less.

I have to admit to not being entirely sure what you're saying, but if you believe that there is less entertainment on the Breakaway than one of the older ships then I think you are wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

I'm partial to having a different show each sea day - no reservations required, with two showings that accommodate the early dining folks, and repeats later that evening for the late diners - all the freestyle anytime diners can go to either. We prefer to eat around 8-8:30 each night, and scanning the list that was posted, we'll never get to see Slam Allen or Howl at the Moon :(

Can anyone comment on Dysfunktional Family Reunion?

Is it a show to watch or a passenger interaction thing like Love & Marriage?

The dysfunctional family reunion has been replaced (thankfully) with wine lovers the musical.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

^^^this

And it is a mini musical that centers around wine and coupled with wine tastings and a set menu for lunch. It is shown, I believe, on sea days. It is a fee venue, but you are getting lunch and multiple wine tastings and a show.

So, if one wants a show every day your options are:

Rock of Ages

Burn the Floor

The magician

Cirque Dreams

Second City

Wine Lovers

And for your other day you have quite a variety of venues

Howl at The Moon dueling pianos

Fat Cats

and of course all the shows and musicians in the Atrium, plus the crew based shows...... LOTS to watch over the course of one cruise!

^^^this

And it is a mini musical that centers around wine and coupled with wine tastings and a set menu for lunch. It is shown, I believe, on sea days. It is a fee venue, but you are getting lunch and multiple wine tastings and a show.

Rock of Ages

Burn the Floor

The magician

Cirque Dreams

Second City

Wine Lovers

Fat Cats

and of course all the shows and musicians in the Atrium, plus the crew based shows...... LOTS to watch over the course of one cruise!

.....Michael Finney (The magician) is ending his run on the cruise ship circuit soon. He is not listed on my 9/14/14 sailing and there is no replacement for him yet when trying to book the entertainment.

wasiii

^^^this

Rock of Ages

Burn the Floor

The magician

Cirque Dreams

Second City

Wine Lovers

Fat Cats

What about beer lovers? ;-)

We prefer to eat around 8-8:30 each night, and scanning the list that was posted, we'll never get to see Slam Allen or Howl at the Moon :(

I can't speak for Slam Allen, but Howl at the Moon is a come & go as you like show - there is no set seating & the tone of the show gets more adult after 10:30 or so. It runs late so you certainly could go join the fun after your dinner, if you should so desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Fat Cats (Slam Allan isn't there any more I believe) is the same.

On the Epic recently I spent an evening going between The Beatles show in Fat Cats and Howl in Headliners. I moved between them every 45minutes or so. Both were busy, but no problem getting somewhere to sit.