What are your Favorite Cruise Ship Movies?

cruiserking

I love to rent a few cruise movies before each voyage. Some of my favorites are

1.) The Poseidon Adventure

Gene Hackman heads a star-studded cast in this all-time classic adventure of survivors fighting to reach the hull of a capsized liner, filmed in part aboard the Queen Mary.

2.) Juggernaut

A terrific sea going thriller set aboard an ocean liner the real life Maxim Gorkiy. British character actor Roy Kinnear is very memorable as a bumbling cruise director trying to keep the party light during traumatic times.

3) The Lady Eve

A wonderful Preston Sturges screwball comedy of con-artist couple who meet aboard an ocean liner starring Barabara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda.

I Will likely watch all three of these in the next few weeks to stoke the already hot pre-cruise excitement. What are your favorites?

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

"Out To Sea" with Jack Lemmon & Walter Matthau. Brent Spiner as the cruise director is a real hoot!:)

Will definitely put this one in the cue, never caught it. It was filmed on one of the HAL ships I believe. Thanks Beachbum53.

Now Voyager.

A Night at the Opera.

Now Voyager is another classic with Bette Davis and Marx Brothers A Night at the Opera is a very funny. Isn't that the one where they all crowd into one cabin? We've done that stunt during cabin crawls at an inside cabin.

An Affair to Remember

Romance on the high seas another memorable one.

Jonathan

"The Legend of 1900" is another movie I like with Tim Roth living his whole life aboard the same ship

This is a very unique film, saw this a while back. I think all of our fantasies to live aboard a ship, a strange film but, memorable.

Jonathan

"The Legend of 1900" is another movie I like with Tim Roth living his whole life aboard the same ship

I loved that movie, and the scene with the piano in the storm is classic...one of the best "dance" numbers ever in a movie.

Adam Sandler in "Jack & Jill" was a silly movie but a portion of it was filmed on RCL's Allure of the Seas.

I watched just to check out the ship.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/846/royal-caribbean-international146s-allure-of-the-seas-makes-big-screen-debut-in-happy-madison146s-jack-and-jill-starring-adam-sandler-and-katie-holmes/

Two movies from 1957/58 with similar titles but completely different vibes:

• Another vote for "An Affair to Remember", a romance, starring Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr.
  • "A Night to Remember" about the Titanic, almost a documentary feel to it, starring Kenneth More.

"Out To Sea" with Jack Lemmon & Walter Matthau. Brent Spiner as the cruise director is a real hoot!:)

Will definitely put this one in the cue, never caught it. It was filmed on one of the HAL ships I believe. Thanks Beachbum53.

<snip>

Jonathan

"Out to Sea" was filmed on the previous Westerdam. :)

The ship that was stretched by dropping an extension right into the middle of the ship.

"Out to Sea" was filmed on the previous Westerdam. :)

The ship that was stretched by dropping an extension right into the middle of the ship.

Interesting Sail, thanks for that.

Another sleeper out there I thoroughly enjoyed is called Dangerous Crossing. A great little mystery set aboard an ocean liner starring Jeanne Crain and Michael Rennie, it's on Netflix and definitely worth a watch.

Jonathan

Well, we've got a nice list so far..

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

5.) An Affair to Remember

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

Jonathan

Well, we've got a nice list so far..

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

Jonathan

You can add "Carry On Cruising" to that list as well. It's camp and lowbrow but shows a lovely slice of ship life.

You can add "Carry On Cruising" to that list as well. It's camp and lowbrow but shows a lovely slice of ship life.

Thanks OarToOar. That's from a British series of films, the Carry On films, looked for it on Netflix but, not available, will keep my eyes peeled.

Cruise Critics Favorite Cruise Ship Films - 2014

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Interesting to note Titanic was not mentioned until later in this thread and did not make the list posted by CruiserKing.

I only mentioned three films in my list, Titanic is decent just not one of my all-time favorites.

I have just remembered a couple of other cruise film chestnuts has anyone seen either of these?

Death on the Nile: a wonderful Agatha Christie whodunit set aboard a river boat steaming up the Nile with Peter Ustinov turning in a marvelous portrayal of Hercule Poirot.

The Cat's Meow: - great little true-life mystery of the murder of film mogul William Ince aboard William Randolph Hearsts' sumptuous yacht circa 1924, directed by Peter Bogdanovich and terrific cast including Eddie Izard as Charlie Chaplin.

Cruise Critics Favorite Cruise Ship Films - 2014

2.) Juggernaut

3.) The Lady Eve

4.) Out to Sea

6.) Now Voyager

7.) A Night at the Opera

8.) Ship of Fools

9.) The Legend of 1900

10.) A Night to Remember

11.) Titanic

12.) Dangerous Crossing

13.) Carry On Cruising

14.) Death on the Nile

15.) The Cat's Meow

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

...Marx Brothers A Night at the Opera is a very funny. Isn't that the one where they all crowd into one cabin? We've done that stunt during cabin crawls at an inside cabin.

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8kaFi3_PWI

And, while a TV show and not a movie, I like the I Love Lucy episode where she misses the ship to Europe.

Edited by Jimnbigd

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8kaFi3_PWI

And, while a TV show and not a movie, I like the I Love Lucy episode where she misses the ship to Europe.

Wow, that's awesome Jim, thanks for posting. It brings back memories of cabin crawls past and a classic comedy too. Not familiar with the Lucy episode, but, there's a British television show is it Keeping Up Appearances where the lady misses the QE2?

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Forums mobile app