When did Carnival change it's tender process

Troy McClure

I just got back from a 5 day on the Victory and was shocked that we had to get tickets for the tender. I was on a cruise last March and don't remember the process. I saw it in the Fun Times, but thought that must be for the people who have FTTF or excursions booked.

It went fast enough but had I known ( the communication was less than stellar) I would have gotten our butts down to theatre earlier. There was 1 chair on Half Moon Cay by the time we got there and 700 people were still waiting behind us.

I just got back from a 5 day on the Victory and was shocked that we had to get tickets for the tender. I was on a cruise last March and don't remember the process. I saw it in the Fun Times, but thought that must be for the people who have FTTF or excursions booked.

It went fast enough but had I known ( the communication was less than stellar) I would have gotten our butts down to theatre earlier. There was 1 chair on Half Moon Cay by the time we got there and 700 people were still waiting behind us.

Ok I thought I was crazy, we too have never had to get a tender ticket before but dd on our last cruise. We thought that maybe we had just overlooked it and no one called us on it.

It might be just the way they do it at HMC, because I don't remember them doing it that way when I was at Grand Cayman

So, how did they do it?

It's been years since I've been to Grand Cayman, but I remember the ticket procedure there because we had booked a private excursion and had to get to the ticket place early to make sure we were off the ship quickly.

So, how did they do it?

It's been years since I've been to Grand Cayman, but I remember the ticket procedure there because we had booked a private excursion and had to get to the ticket place early to make sure we were off the ship quickly.

We got caught by surprise too when we arrived in Grand Cayman. How was I supposed to know you needed a tender TICKET and that the tender wait was over 2 hours!! This was our first Carnival cruise. I went to the person handing out the tickets and told them that, it was our first Carnival cruise and I never had to wait for a tender so they let me go with the next group. We had a private excursion that we would have missed if we didn't get off that ship!

From what I read to do now is get a tender ticket, go to breakfast when you are ready to get off the ship use the ticket for the next tender group off the ship, providing your tender number hadn't been called.

Edited by ibcnusoon

Tender tickets go back to the 1980's. Normally, tender tickets are needed when the first group of passengers rush to leave the vessel. After the beginning groups leave the ship they stop the requirement that tender tickets are needed to leave the ship. Most passengers with scheduled excursions are the first to leave. My family waits until after the rush to leave the ship.

It took hours to get off at Grand Cayman. We arrived at 10:00am but did not know that the seas were rough and tendering talking longer than usual. When we showed up to get off the ship at Noon (figuring the crowds were gone) there was a 2 hour wait.

When I joined in 2010 one of the common pieces of advice handed out to new cruisers was to go early for a tender ticket if you had an excursion. If not, you could wait till the crowds died down and get on without a ticket. There was also something about platinum and those with Carnival excursions getting priority or something, but I didn't pay enough attention to that part to remember it.

I just know that based on that advice, when we sailed the Dream we had a tender port and went to the designated area half an hour early and got tender 1 or 2, but when we sailed Conquest we purposely went later after the initial rush and didn't need a ticket.

Edited by Sinjan

They have issued tickets for years but only if it gets really crowded and backed up. They will start out just letting people on until the line gets long. That's how it was explained to me by Carnival. We've been getting tickets for years but not on every cruise.

Edited by sturderick