multi tool onboard?

It is a stupid rule. In my checked luggage, I always put an old cheap pocket knife so I can cut the zip ties that I use on the closures of my luggage to keep the airport or TSA who might take advantage of an unlocked suitcase. So, on this trip there were actually 2 of our 3 checked bags that contained said cheap knife. One of which is a primitive multi-tool. Those are in my bags safely stuck under our bed right now. While returning from Marigot (we just love all of the cool little things you can buy on the French side) yesterday, we had bought our friends a boxed set of salad tongs. They are about 14 inches long and one is spoon with a female diver and the other a fork with a male diver (think aqua show). The security people pulled it from the shopping bag to give it back to me when we leave the ship Saturday morning (*hopefully). The cheapest pocket knife in the world is more dangerous.

I so detest stupidity... The steak knife I was given at dinner was far more lethal. Not to mention when was the last time you read that someone was killed with a salad fork....

just sayin

ciao

jc

Leathermen (so I assume others) make a multi without a knife just for folks who travel.

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-831488-Style-PS-Multitool/dp/B0058RX9NU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Leatherman 831488 Style PS Multitool

TSA-Compliant Design

Spring-action Regular Pliers, Spring-action Needlenose Pliers, Spring-action Wire Cutters

Flat/Phillips Screwdriver,

Nail File, Tweezers

Carabineer/Bottle Opener

Leatherman%20Style%20PS%20Travel%20Friendly%20Multi%20Tool.jpg

Dangit, now I need one of those. :)

My DH, the eagle scout, carries a little swiss army knife everyday.

(snipped....)

After 25 years of marriage, the boy scout motto is just not worth fighting anymore.:eek::p

Be prepared.

I always travel with my swiss army knife. Twice at the airport I had forgotten to put it back in my checked bag. One time, I mailed it to myself. Another time, my bag was still behind the checkout counter so I was able to add it to my bag.

I had it confiscated once by security when checking in for a cruise, and I got it back when we disembarked.

I hate not having it with me, because then I don't feel prepared. I don't really need it on a flight, but on a cruise, yeah.

Oh, and one other use... punching that extra hole in your belt after too many large meals. :D

I think I'm going to purchase one of those TSA-compliant Leatherman multitools.

The "Naughty Room" is where they send you if they spot a tool (or other contraband) in your luggage and you have to go explain why you have it before you get your bag. If you don't have a good explanation, they'll hold the tool and return it to you upon debarkation. My DH is is in a wheelchair so I ALWAYS travel with a set of allen wrenches and a pair of pliers. Sometimes they catch them, sometimes they don't. But since I have a valid reason, they've always let me keep them. I used to travel with a multi-tool but due to the knife, I don't bother because I know they'll take it if they spot it.

Be prepared.

I always travel with my swiss army knife. Twice at the airport I had forgotten to put it back in my checked bag. One time, I mailed it to myself. Another time, my bag was still behind the checkout counter so I was able to add it to my bag.

I had it confiscated once by security when checking in for a cruise, and I got it back when we disembarked.

I hate not having it with me, because then I don't feel prepared. I don't really need it on a flight, but on a cruise, yeah.

Oh, and one other use... punching that extra hole in your belt after too many large meals. :D

I think I'm going to purchase one of those TSA-compliant Leatherman multitools.

My DH has lost one swiss army knife early on when you weren't allowed to mail things home. He has mailed his new knife home. Sad part is he has also been able to get his knife through BOS to then have to mail it home from DEN. Santa is going to put on of those TSA compliant leatherman on her list.:D

The "Naughty Room" is where they send you if they spot a tool (or other contraband) in your luggage and you have to go explain why you have it before you get your bag. If you don't have a good explanation, they'll hold the tool and return it to you upon debarkation. My DH is is in a wheelchair so I ALWAYS travel with a set of allen wrenches and a pair of pliers. Sometimes they catch them, sometimes they don't. But since I have a valid reason, they've always let me keep them. I used to travel with a multi-tool but due to the knife, I don't bother because I know they'll take it if they spot it.

the TSA-Compliant multi-tool is NOT contraband. If they held it and asked me to security I would ask the the head of security be there so I can educate all of them at the same time. Then I would ask them to deliver it to my room with an apology.

We bring our Leatherman for geocaching. There are a lot of containers we need one of the tools to open it. And there is no vacation without geocaching. That's all. ;)

Exactly why we have a swiss army knife in our caching bag, went on ship OK in checked luggage but forgot when coming back onboard after Geocaching and sure enough it was confiscated, but at least they did return it as we left the ship.

Been out caching this morning and soon as I saw the knife set thought yes lets have a cruise :D

I use my Wenger brand swiss army for cutting cigars on board. It has a special cigar cutting tool. Besides that use, it's amazing how often it has been helpful to repair things on vacation. Never travel without it.

When we go on shore I usually bring a cheap cigar cutter. Once on Labadee I forgot and brought off the swiss army by mistake. It was confiscated at the security station but I was able to get it back the last night so that it could be packed in my checked luggage.

Amazing how some folks criticize for something very simple. As mentioned by earlier posters, there are many other implements readily available to anyone on board who is intent on harm.

Never brought a multitool, but I can see where the knife in it may cause a problem. I normally pack my corkscrew, that has a small knife, in my checked bag but haven't sailed Royal yet so no idea if I'll be able to get away with that. Since we're talking about tools with knives, anyone know if they'd get in a tizzy over the corkscrew with a knife blade? The corkscrew is far more dangerous.

The picture gives a relative size of what I'm talking about.

1) The corkscrew w/blade about 1.5"

2) My newish Old Timer slightly longer than the corkscrew

3) The Swiss Army knife I'd like to take

4) My Great Grandfather's old Kabar folding 2.5"

5) My rescue knife 3"

1505211_719295084772155_664787269_n.jpg

Never brought a multitool, but I can see where the knife in it may cause a problem. I normally pack my corkscrew, that has a small knife, in my checked bag but haven't sailed Royal yet so no idea if I'll be able to get away with that. Since we're talking about tools with knives, anyone know if they'd get in a tizzy over the corkscrew with a knife blade? The corkscrew is far more dangerous.

5) My rescue knife 3"

My guess is that they would not. They now allow a couple of bottle of wine for personal consumption in your cabin to be brought on board. You certainly need a method of opening the bottles. Those small blades on the corkscrews are not very sharp.

I'd love to bring a multi tool with me. You never know when u could use a pliers or screwdriver. Is this something that can be done?

My luggage was sent to the "naughty room" on a cruise last year because of my very small multi-tool and my corkscrew with little tiny knife. I was very annoyed, since it was in my luggage for the last 5 or so cruises with no problems at all (I like to travel prepared). Anyways, the person in charge of security explained to me that no tools were allowed to be brought on the ship and advised me to get a different corkscrew (when that one was scanned it looks like a big pocket knife, not a corkscrew - he showed me the scan). After arguing that I have had these two items in my luggage for my last 5 cruises with RCCL, he allowed me to just take them with me and not to bring them next time. Needless to say, I brought a different corkscrew (that looks like a corkscrew in a scan) and did not bother bringing my multi-tool again. No problems on my last cruise.

5) My rescue knife 3"

Here is the part from RCCL's website about sharp objects:

Prohibited items:

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=2608

Edited by Yenom