Anyone else find a balcony not worth the price difference?

PA Beachlovers

I like being able to step out on the balcony for a few minutes, but I cannot find anything to interest me out in that little space for very long. I would rather be out and about with the savings in my pocket. I usually go OV because they are bigger, but an inside will do too if there are only two of us.

Many people said, once you have a balcony you will never want anything else. Wonder how many others feel the same way?

We've had suites, balconey's, oceanviews and insides....to us the most that matters is being on a cruise!

That said, sometimes the intinery calls for one. On our Hawaii inter-island cruises, we really enjoyed the balcony during specific cruising times. Also, on our next trip, we are looking for total relaxation and crowd avoidance options during Spring Break, so we have a balcony. Otherwise, we haven't had one in a long time, and were very content going inside or oceanview.

I am sure you have and will get a lot of opinions on this topic!

We had one for our last cruise and booked balcony this time also. I can't even stand the curtains shut in the house , hate grey days and love light. We used our balcony a lot and had coffee there every morning. I think I would go bonkers without lots of light.

To each, their own. I've always gotten a balcony and on some cruises, gotten a suite. I've been on some cruises where I went out on the balcony once, usually when we're leaving port. To me, it's a tradition that started with my very first cruise with some friends who I never see anymore.

Is it worth the extra expense? That's something each individual has to determine for themselves. For me, I can't see myself in anything other than a balcony or above.

We were on the Breeze in October and had our first balcony, we chose the "large" balcony toward the back of the ship next to the aft wrap. We found that we used it very little and spending the extra money to have a balcony was not worth it. On sea days we had breakfast delivered to our room and ate on the balcony, besides that we spend little time in our cabin, we would rather be up on deck with people and see what is going on. If we do return to our cabin its usually to take a nap before dinner and find the bed more comfortable than sleeping in a chair, our balcony did have a lounge chair on it but again not as comfortable. Many people said, once you have a balcony you will never want anything else. Wonder how many others feel the same way?

Especially not worth it with so many smokers booking balcony cabins now to have their own smoking area. I used to always book a balcony or suite, but no more.

I have had inside, OV, and balcony cabins. I hated the inside cabin - too small and dark. I liked having a balcony but didn't feel I used it enough to justify the cost. I have found that the OV cabins are the best for me. They provide more space, natural light, and a good value (my OVs have been $10-20 more than an inside, but $300+ less than balcony cabins). If I had an itinerary with a lot of sea days, I would be more likely to book a balcony.

As a smoker, with a smoker for a wife... it's a must. I'm sorry if non smokers don't like it, but it's better than having had a smoker in your room. I do however try to stay towards the back on a higher deck so it won't disturb as many people. It would be nice to change it so smoking is allowed only one one side of the ship on balconies... just so non smokers will stop harassing me, I do what I can to minimize any issues, ie seeing if a known non smoker is lounging next to me and going elsewhere. But if I'm out there after dinner, don't walk onto your balcony and start fake coughing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

My husband and I are about to take our 7th cruise. The first 5 we did 4 insides and one oceanview. On the last cruise we had a balcony. For us it totally changed the cruirse. It is FANTASTIC. We used to think it would be a waste since we didn't spend much time in our room. Turns out we weren't spending time in the room because it wasn't a balcony:)

If I didn't have a balcony(first cruise), I would never be in my room either. Sleep and shower, that's about it. Didn't really know what I was missing.

With my balcony (2nd cruise) I was in my room A LOT. I had room service breakfast every morning on the balcony wearing my muumuu enjoying the first ciggy of the day and a carafe of coffee while watching the sun rise.

With my balcony, I could get away from the crowds midday and relax with a ciggy and a cocktail, soaking in the sun, while regrouping for the evening adventures.

With my balcony, I could relax and enjoy sail away (watched the dolphins swim right along side of us) with a ciggy and a cocktail (wearing my muumuu) without having to fight for a spot on the railing.

With my balcony, I could watch the shenanigans of people returning from port (in my muumuu with a ciggy and sipping on a cocktail) wearing their balloons on their heads and staggering back to the ship without anybody seeing me laugh at them.

With my balcony, I could sit outside at night and gaze at the stars while listening to the sound of the waves slapping against the ship (in my muumuu with a cocktail and ciggy in hand) and wind down from the days adventures right before bedtime.

It was well worth the money spent. I can't even imagine a cruise now without MY balcony. :D

I have had inside, OV, and balcony cabins. I hated the inside cabin - too small and dark. I liked having a balcony but didn't feel I used it enough to justify the cost. I have found that the OV cabins are the best for me. They provide more space, natural light, and a good value (my OVs have been $10-20 more than an inside, but $300+ less than balcony cabins). If I had an itinerary with a lot of sea days, I would be more likely to book a balcony.

I 2nd this. I had Balcony once, and hardly ever use it. OV works best for me.

Ive read alot of people saying balconys are a must. This my first cruise with a balcony and got a cove balcony. Im worried im goinf to regret it. Ive lost two family members to lung cancer. Its a sensitive subject I dont mind occasionally a whif of smoke..but im nervous every time I go on balcony im going to suffocate from smell and cuase a scene. (By scene I mean put my portable speakers next to balcony devider and blast opera music at 4am and put on my 300$ noise cancelling headphones..) of course I would ask politely before resorting to gorrila tactics

I guess a balcony is worth the extra expense if you actually plan on using it often. We had a balcony once and we spent maybe 10-15 mins on it when we sailed off!

After that nothing.

So, an inside or OV ( if price is right) is just fine. We only sleep in there anyway, so its nice and dark! :cool:

Our first 2 cruises were in an inside. The first cruise I didn't know anything about it and went with the cheapest. The 2nd one someone else paid for. :) The next 2 were in aft corners on RCI and the next on NCL I had a balcony, upgraded to a mini-suite for $40 and then upgraded to a full family suite for no extra money. No balcony but the entire wall was floor to ceiling windows and all the suite perks. It was cold outside in the Baltics so I didn't miss the balcony and loved the view we had and the extra room. I consider a balcony a must now and spend a lot of time on it just relaxing.:D

We had an OV for our first two cruises then had a balcony on our last cruise. Needless to say, we are back on an OV this cruise. It works the best for us. We prefer sleeping on the 2nd floor, away from the noise. The extra money didn't translate into a better cruise, so we are going to stick with the OV. :)

I travel solo, so I usually book an inside. I did book a balcony on 2 of 3 legs on the Spirit to Australia in 2012. After 28 days of constant balcony door slamming on both sides of me, I won't book one again on Carnival. I may on cruise lines that have sliders.

I booked a 4K on the Legend to Australia this year? I like those cabins, but I'm perfectly happy with an inside.

I am one of those that the slightest bit of light and I'm awake for the day. The summers in the PNW kill me when it starts getting light at 0430.