What Happened To The Viking Crown Lounge???

I've been looking at the deck plans that have been released and the pictures and post provided and I can't seem to find where the Viking Crown Lounge is. Did Royal do away with it on the Quantum class?

No VCL on Quantum Class. The place that may replace it could be Two70.

I've been looking at the deck plans that have been released and the pictures and post provided and I can't seem to find where the Viking Crown Lounge is. Did Royal do away with it on the Quantum class?

So far there is not one in any of the released plans. It is looking like there will not be one, which is too bad because that is such a trademark venue for Royal Caribbean.

So far there is not one in any of the released plans. It is looking like there will not be one, which is too bad because that is such a trademark venue for Royal Caribbean.

I'm really going to miss the sweeping panoramic views. I know "North Star" is suppose to give the passengers that, but I don't think it has the same capacity as the VCL :/

I'm really going to miss the sweeping panoramic views. I know "North Star" is suppose to give the passengers that, but I don't think it has the same capacity as the VCL :/

You really should be comparing 270 to the VCL, not the North Star. 270 will have the big windows too and will be much closer to the water.

I have always said that one of the things that I love about RCI is the VCL. However on my last Oasis cruise I didn't go the VCL once! So maybe I don't need one after all.

I think the problem with Two70 vs the Viking Crown Lounge is that Two70 is going to be a huge venue, and will likely be quite noisy when filled with people. While it provides better views of the ocean, it will lack the atmosphere of the intimate cocktail lounge which I always liked about the VCL. Plus you will lose the view forward over the upper decks, which is a unique viewpoint of the ship.

I have always said that one of the things that I love about RCI is the VCL. However on my last Oasis cruise I didn't go the VCL once! So maybe I don't need one after all.

I think this raises an excellent point and is consistent with my own experience on Oasis/Allure. On each successive class of RCI ship the importance of the VCL as a functional space seems to have diminished. Now, we're at then point on Oasis / Allure that there's so much going on elsewhere that I bet the majority of guests never even set foot inside the venue, perhaps except while exploring on the first day.

I'll miss the VCL strictly because it's an iconic symbol of RCI, but not because it's absence will have any impact on my cruise experience.

• 5 weeks later...

We were on Enchantment last summer and my wife and I enjoyed VCL several times. A couple of times it was quiet and we were able to relax. In the evening time and late night it was rocking. From what I see from the videos from RCC it looks like 270 is going to be phenominal. At times I think it will be quiet and relaxing but at other times when the windows are having scenes projected on them and shows are going on with the five 10 foot monitors it will awesome.

I think the problem with Two70 vs the Viking Crown Lounge is that Two70 is going to be a huge venue, and will likely be quite noisy when filled with people.

Yes, I believe 475 passengers!

quantum_of_the_seas_00_copyright_royal_caribbean_international-1030x579.jpg?w=450&h=314

(Above: see how small the builders are compared to the space)

However there will of course be some 4,000 passengers on board, that may fight over it when the show is on.;)

Edited by London-Calling

Yes, I believe 475 passengers!

quantum_of_the_seas_00_copyright_royal_caribbean_international-1030x579.jpg?w=450&h=314

(Above: see how small the builders are compared to the space)

However there will of course be some 4,000 passengers on board, that may fight over it when the show is on.;)

We have to remember the old multi purpose VCL concept. Before they made clubs the VCL was the club each evening. It also hosts many of the exclusive events on ships without the extra facilities which leaves it off limits during some days and many evenings. With Two70 I think it'll likely be quiet during the day with maybe a few events held similar to the use of Dazzles on Oasis and then shows in the evening similar to the use of VCL as a club at night. I think during the day what goes on will not be noisy but more for social gatherings and looking at the size I doubt it will ever be off limits in the middle of the day like the VCL often seems to be.

On the Grandeur they finally have a Diamond lunge but the VCL was still closed nearly every evening for private events as well as some afternoons and was the club every single night. Compared to that I'm sure Two70 will have better availability and during the day hopefully just as quiet.

We have to remember the old multi purpose VCL concept. Before they made clubs the VCL was the club each evening. It also hosts many of the exclusive events on ships without the extra facilities which leaves it off limits during some days and many evenings. With Two70 I think it'll likely be quiet during the day with maybe a few events held similar to the use of Dazzles on Oasis and then shows in the evening similar to the use of VCL as a club at night. I think during the day what goes on will not be noisy but more for social gatherings and looking at the size I doubt it will ever be off limits in the middle of the day like the VCL often seems to be.

On the Grandeur they finally have a Diamond lunge but the VCL was still closed nearly every evening for private events as well as some afternoons and was the club every single night. Compared to that I'm sure Two70 will have better availability and during the day hopefully just as quiet.

I'm quite curious to see if they wind up using Two70 as the club on Quantum after the shows end in the evening. My gut says they won't and they'll build a dedicated club, but it's a possibility. I actually found Blaze on Oasis to be very disappointing in the scheme of the entire incredible ship... almost like an afterthought. The club is very important to me so if it's not Two70, I hope they build a cool one on Quantum!

Edited by Dave85

I'm quite curious to see if they wind up using Two70 as the club on Quantum after the shows end in the evening. My gut says they won't and they'll build a dedicated club, but it's a possibility. I actually found Blaze on Oasis to be very disappointing in the scheme of the entire incredible ship... almost like an afterthought. The club is very important to me so if it's not Two70, I hope they build a cool one on Quantum!

My recollection is that there is a music hall for dancing, as well as a DJ suspended over the floor in the Sea Plex. The Seaplex DJ could be used for the roller skating, but there is no reason the Seaplex floor could not be used for dancing when it is not use for roller skating, bumper cars or basketball, etc. I think that RCI is looking at multi-functional spaces that could easily adapt for different uses.

I am at work, so I cannot verify these details.

Eric

My recollection is that there is a music hall for dancing, as well as a DJ suspended over the floor in the Sea Plex. The Seaplex DJ could be used for the roller skating, but there is no reason the Seaplex floor could not be used for dancing when it is not use for roller skating, bumper cars or basketball, etc. I think that RCI is looking at multi-functional spaces that could easily adapt for different uses.

I am at work, so I cannot verify these details.

Eric

What you said is accurate -- there will be a "floating" DJ booth over the seaplex floor and will likely be used for "disco skates" like they currently have on existing ships (except roller skating rather than ice skating). However, based on what we know so far the sea plex most definitely isn't set up to be a club, which is predominately a bar. The sea plex is a sports venue not a bar venue. The Music Hall seems to be a live music venue based on the information we have. I highly doubt Royal would sacrifice their premier live music venue (which I'm sure will be very popular in the evenings in its own right!) for use as a DJ-driven club, but again I don't have any more info than the rest of you.

Two70 is a "bar" venue -- the bar looks pretty awesome actually -- so I could definitely see them using it as the club after shows finish in the vening, or at least a secondary club / live music venue like Dazzles on the Oasis Class.

Edited by Dave85

Are the clubs still popular? On the Grandeur very few people ever seems to go to the VCL at night when it's a club. One night I went up and the only people their were the DJ and two bar tenders. Most people went to Karaoke and then hung out in the Solarium at Park Cafe each night.

On the Navigator they just ripped the dedicated club out in favor of using existing multi purpose venues. I think they are now using what was the Egyptian themed venue forward on deck 5 as their club.

I have to wonder if clubs simply aren't Royal's thing as much as it is Carnival's. We may not see a club in favor of different venues featuring various forms of dancing each night and evening activities for those that don't dance. We can see that already with the Oasis Class and we know Quantum has the Music Hall which is an evolution of Dazzles. We're going to have roller skating in the evening with a DJ for families as well so if he's doing that he won't be in a club, but Music Hall is supposed to be live instead of a DJ.

I have to wonder if clubs simply aren't Royal's thing as much as it is Carnival's. We may not see a club in favor of different venues featuring various forms of dancing each night and evening activities for those that don't dance. We can see that already with the Oasis Class and we know Quantum has the Music Hall which is an evolution of Dazzles. We're going to have roller skating in the evening with a DJ for families as well so if he's doing that he won't be in a club, but Music Hall is supposed to be live instead of a DJ.

The larger RCI ships have 2 DJs these days, so if one is doing roller skating that doesn't preclude a club. In fact, on both of my Oasis sailings they had both DJs spinning at the same time in different venues on a number of nights. As far as how busy the club is, that depends on the ship, sailing, and the night. On both of my Oasis sailings the club was packed some nights or was less packed to empty on others when other big ticket items were going on around the ship (Quest) or if dancing was relocated to another venue, such was the solarium for twenty or the Malibu beach party.

I cannot think of a recent Caribbean cruise I've been on where there was not an active club scene. It was dead on both of my European cruises where people weren't staying out as late, and if you hit an off-season sailing on a smaller ship with an older crowd I would expect a less active scene than on a newer ship.

I would be very surprised -- no, SHOCKED -- if we don't see a club on the Quantum. Given the focus on "transformative venues" they could certainly get away without building a dedicated club and use a venue like Two70 or something else. I was surprised and disappointed that they chose to remove the dedicated club on the Navigator, but it doesn't seem that they're planning to do that on any other ships (at least for now and as far as I know).

Edit: I see your most recent Grandeur cruise was an off-season 10 night sailing... IMHO that would explain a lot as to why the club was mostly empty. Smaller ship, longer cruise, off-season... (speculating) but probably older crowd overall?

Edited by Dave85

The larger RCI ships have 2 DJs these days, so if one is doing roller skating that doesn't preclude a club. In fact, on both of my Oasis sailings they had both DJs spinning at the same time in different venues on a number of nights. As far as how busy the club is, that depends on the ship, sailing, and the night. On both of my Oasis sailings the club was packed some nights or was less packed to empty on others when other big ticket items were going on around the ship (Quest) or if dancing was relocated to another venue, such was the solarium for twenty or the Malibu beach party.

I cannot think of a recent Caribbean cruise I've been on where there was not an active club scene. It was dead on both of my European cruises where people weren't staying out as late, and if you hit an off-season sailing on a smaller ship with an older crowd I would expect a less active scene than on a newer ship.

I would be very surprised -- no, SHOCKED -- if we don't see a club on the Quantum. Given the focus on "transformative venues" they could certainly get away without building a dedicated club and use a venue like Two70 or something else. I was surprised and disappointed that they chose to remove the dedicated club on the Navigator, but it doesn't seem that they're planning to do that on any other ships (at least for now and as far as I know).

Edit: I see your most recent Grandeur cruise was an off-season 10 night sailing... IMHO that would explain a lot as to why the club was mostly empty. Smaller ship, longer cruise, off-season... (speculating) but probably older crowd overall?

Yeah, club's been empty my last three sailings and all fit that group; a transatlantic on Indy, a may sailing on Grandeur, and a January sailing on Grandeur.

Edited by DEIx15x8

I think the problem with Two70 vs the Viking Crown Lounge is that Two70 is going to be a huge venue, and will likely be quite noisy when filled with people. While it provides better views of the ocean, it will lack the atmosphere of the intimate cocktail lounge which I always liked about the VCL. Plus you will lose the view forward over the upper decks, which is a unique viewpoint of the ship.

I agree. We would go up there some times and have a drink and play cards in the afternoon to get away from the crowds and noise.

• 4 months later...

Very sad to see that the VCL is going away on the Quantum. I hope this isn't a direction that RCI is taking, but I can kind of understand if they do. I just hope they never lose the look of the VCL hovering over the pools like the Enterprise coming in to dock at V'ger's center in Star Trek the Motion Picture. (yep... went there)

That said, I understand why they're doing this. Was just on the Oasis this past week and the VCL was dead. Absolutely dead. Went in there almost daily and I never saw more than 10 people in there at a time. On a ship of over 6k people, to have a venue as woefully underused as the VCL was this past week is just not smart.