Solstice Live: Australia/NZ/Hawaii, Many Pix’s, Jan. 20-Feb. 3

TLCOhio

Terry, we are leaving your wonderful blog tomorrow, too. On our way to Auckland and the Solstice. You have provided us with lots of insights and it is helping all of us get excited for our cruise. Thanks again. Pat

Queen of the Queen: We are on the Feb 3 sailing' date=' leaving home Thursday a.m., and I just discovered your blog last night! I have a question about getting off the ship in Akorea/Christchurch. We have a private tour, and having never sailed on Celebrity, I was hoping you could tell me how the tender system works on the ship. We are 5 couples and since I am the originator of the tour, I feel responsible for us all getting off together. Can you let me know how it went when you were there and also the procedure? Do Elite members have priority? There are two couples with us that are, and could we go with them? I love your descriptions and pictures and it certainly helped to get me excited about tomorrow! Thanks. Lorraine [/quote']

quilter06: We also will be on the Jan. 4 cruise next year so I'm reading every word! Thanks Terry for taking the time to share your trip with us!

Appreciate the continued interest and comments from so many. Especially like the excellent work by MicCanberra and boeckli for providing the added specifics on my post number 22 about the details to answer the good question from alexandra cruiser. Good work and attention to details by them to jump in and do that sharing. This live/blog is now over 15' date='660 views!![/i'] Keep up the great involvement. So much more to come.

Glad so many, including quilter06, patty and others, are using this live/blog to help prepare for their upcoming trips/adventures to this part of the world. Good luck on your trips. Later in February, I will do more comprehensive summaries for some added details on our sources for setting up certain of these trips and why we made our choices in certain ways.

For Queen of the Queen, Akaroa is a tender port. We had a ship tour, so the timing worked fine with no problems going ashore for us. Coming back, we were the last group to sail on the last tender. Due to slowness with one other ship tour doing the TranzAlpine rail, we did not get back on the ship till 7 pm, an hour later than the scheduled Solstice sailing time. It all worked without any problems as we were on a ship's tour and they are guaranteed to wait for us. Akaroa is a very small and cute little village. Not well equipped, however, for big ships and all of the masses of buses. The secret here? Call guest relations the night before and find out when and where for that Akaroa day they will be handing out the "Tender Boarding Passes". That helps you get priority timing to get off of the ship that morning at the better times. If you wait and just show up, you will lose valuable shore time to get off of the ship and arrive in the port in a timely manner. One of the big, tragic challenges for doing tours in this area is the added time it takes to get from Akaroa to many of the key, nearby areas. It adds about an hour for the additional travel time to twist through the scenic hills above this port, plus to get back. For Queen of the Queen, what type of private tour are you planning?

It's now approaching 7 am on the ship as I get up (while my wife sleeps) to do lots of work on the huge pile of photographs taken and needing review, edit fine-tuning, uploads to Photobucket, etc. Just from yesterday alone, there were about 450 pictures to check through. WHY??

WOW!! What a day in and around Napier. Not many ships dock here. It is a great town and area, but this was the first time for our Captain and as I understand the Solstice to be docked here. This is the second busiest port for NZ. Huge amounts of timber on the docks here going out to China, plus so much else being exported from this area. The call it the "Bay of Plenty" with good reasons. Lots of nice wineries here. Saw a wide range of crops and fruits being grown in this area that generally has very good weather. Never gets too cold here, even in their winter. Rainfall amounts are not too heavy in this part of NZ.

DETAILED CAPE KIDNAPPERS SUMMARY:

We had super high expectations here due to the advance research, checking Bing.com pictures, etc., but those big hopes were vastly and dramatically exceeded by the real life experiences of yesterday. WOW!! Times five, plus more.

1. Get off of the ship and met by our experienced guide, Jo and Joanna. Great, warm, funny, sharing person who has lived her whole life here. Her family owned "The Farm" before Tiger Fund billionaire Julian Robinson bought the nearly 6,000 acres that compose Cape Kidnappers. She knows this territory so well, can answer every little question, etc., etc. As departed the ship, the Captain was there and agreed to do a picture with some of the ladies in our group. We congratulated him on the docking in this tight, challenging port.

2. Drove through quaint Napier town, along the shore area in going towards Cape Kidnappers, seeing and learning so much of interest about the agriculture, weather, economy, etc. for this great NZ region.

3. There were fourteen of us in our private group from Central Ohio. We were in a large (but not too large) of a four-wheel drive bus that took us throughout the private gates to enter this protected area. We drove through great stands of forests, deep ravines, up to scenic hilltop areas, over challenging terrain, etc. We went this morning to the first of seven different gannet nesting areas. We were up close and personal to see (and smell) thousands and thousands of these super cute and interesting birds. Only about 100-200 people each day get to come back here. We feel so super fortunate to be here and have a guide who knew ALL of the background and details. You'll see the pictures soon and then you will understand why I am so glowing in these comments. We went to several other vista points, learned more about Captain Cook, his experience here in 1769 (as I recall the date) and why it is named Cape Kidnappers.

4. On our way to lunch, one person in our party wanted to stop at the golf course pro shop to look at some shirts from this location to buy for a family member. Did I mention a golf course? YES!!! This is only the 23rd best golf course in the whole, complete WORLD!! From the outside, this structure looks like a marginal exterior of an old farm building. BUT, the inside is so nice, well done in a hyper tasteful manner. Plus, having free wi-fi, rest rooms, etc. Great, highly enjoyable extra stop. The pictures will tell more. By the way, this is a public golf course, but you need to check and book ahead. To stay here, the most basic of the 23 rooms and suites here start at $1000 a night for a couple. You can spend lots more, if you want the better accommodations.

5. Next to have lunch. Not McDonalds here. There are four chefs working on lunch for us and the two other tables of visitors here this day at this scenic location's lodge building. First, the General Manager, Hannah Butler, greets us and give us a personal tour of this facility that is styled and decorated in an understated, highly-tasteful manner. Class? It does not get any better than this location or the three-course meal we enjoyed. WOW, again and again!! The fourteen of us are seating at a large table in a special, glassed-in, but open area with views out to the Pacific Ocean, seeing all of the scenic hills and great terrain. It just us, the views, great food, etc. This golf course and lodge/dining facility opened only six years ago in 2007. The pictures will prove all that I am saying.

6. In doing a private tour, the key advantage is the ability to adjust and adapt our schedule/plans as we deal with a world-class location and a perfect, sunny day that was also very cool and comfortable. We decided to head towards Napier with its special art-decco buildings for shopping and walking around in their compact and enjoyable down. Good plan. Plus more time to drive out through this 6,000 acre farm with its sheep, woods, sights, views, nature, etc.

7. BUT, Jo tossed out a nice, added option. She is an excellent artist in oils. One of her large paintings was hanging at The Farm's Lodge, plus many are in galleries in Napier. Would we like to stop and see her studio? She lives in a beach-front house in the town just north of Cape Kidnappers. Our answer? Yes! It was super worth it. Lots of interesting plants on her grounds, nice to see more of her work, look at her section of the beach, etc. This all added to the "personal touch", learning more about life here, etc.

8. Napier was wonderful and charming. Great stop, took lots of pictures, stopped in a local bank (with free wifi), talked with the local pharmacy owner, etc. Our ladies didn't buy too much here. There was a special local ice cream they got here and we enjoyed. About 45 minutes to enjoy this great little town with such character and charm as it re-built after its devastating earthquake and fire of 1931.

9. Back to the ship where a bunch of old 1930's cars and a jazz-style band was there to greet us, thank us for visiting Napier. YES!! We super liked this port stop. More details with all of the pictures to come in the upcoming posts. Plus more on why the great combination of an excellent travel agent, plus smart, focused research by the traveler personally in advance makes the best, winning combination to create days like yesterday in Napier.

Sorry for being so long in this summary, but when we have had this good fortune during a day, it is fun to share.

For Sat, Feb. 1, in Tauranga, AccuWeather (that has been very, very good in their predictions and info so far on this long trip), they are saying . . . mostly cloudy and breezy, high of 72° and low 57°. We'll take it!! For Auckland on Mon., Feb. 3, the latest update show it will be mostly sunny and nice, high of 72°, low of 60°; Tues., Feb. 4, mostly cloudy with a shower, high of 75°, low of 65°; Wed., Feb. 5, partly sunny, a few showers with a high 76° and a low 63°. Why worry on the weather? Got to decide whether to wear shorts or now!! Shorts and short-sleaved Polo shirt worked perfect yesterday at Cape Kidnappers, especially knowing of the winter weather back home in Ohio.

As we plan ahead for Waikoloa Beach on the Big Island of Hawaii, those four days are looking to be: Wed., Feb. 5, sunshine and some clouds, high of 82°, low of 67°; Thursday, Feb. 6, mostly cloudy, high of 79°, low of 69°; Friday, Feb. 7, a little afternoon rain, high of 80°, low of 66°; Sat., Feb. 8, a shower in the afternoon, high of 79°, low of 65°; Sun., Feb. 9, partly sunny, a few showers, high of 79°, low of 65°. Can we survive with that kind of weather for our first visit to the famed Big Island? YES!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 132,821 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Edited by TLCOhio

making me rethink clothes to bring.I m from FL.and it sounds COLD at 57 or even wearing shorts in 70s.WHEW.I m used to 80s..haha

Re.ship.May look at Celebrity now,since you seem to enjoy it.Took 1 mass market RSSC 3 mos ago and hated it.Too many people,long lines,poor food,no room service breakfast,,I mean...??Is this one better?? Don t mean to sound snobby,but hate to be nickel and dimed.Like luxury,or at least premium.Have never tried Celebrity.

Like the 14 day itinerary, DH still works and many of the other lines have 16 day.Not counting flight days,etc.

PS.DID order a brochure,but it never came.Called and told it would be there,but 2mos and NADA.Hate to rely just on computer.

:confused:

Appreciate the continued interest and comments from so many. Especially like the excellent work by MicCanberra and boeckli for providing the added specifics on my post number 22 about the details to answer the good question from alexandra cruiser. Good work and attention to details by them to jump in and do that sharing. This live/blog is now over 15,660 views!! Keep up the great involvement. So much more to come.

Glad so many, including quilter06, patty and others, are using this live/blog to help prepare for their upcoming trips/adventures to this part of the world. Good luck on your trips. Later in February, I will do more comprehensive summaries for some added details on our sources for setting up certain of these trips and why we made our choices in certain ways.

For Queen of the Queen, Akaroa is a tender port. We had a ship tour, so the timing worked fine with no problems going ashore for us. Coming back, we were the last group to sail on the last tender. Due to slowness with one other ship tour doing the TranzAlpine rail, we did not get back on the ship till 7 pm, an hour later than the scheduled Solstice sailing time. It all worked without any problems as we were on a ship's tour and they are guaranteed to wait for us. Akaroa is a very small and cute little village. Not well equipped, however, for big ships and all of the masses of buses. The secret here? Call guest relations the night before and find out when and where for that Akaroa day they will be handing out the "Tender Boarding Passes". That helps you get priority timing to get off of the ship that morning at the better times. If you wait and just show up, you will lose valuable shore time to get off of the ship and arrive in the port in a timely manner. One of the big, tragic challenges for doing tours in this area is the added time it takes to get from Akaroa to many of the key, nearby areas. It adds about an hour for the additional travel time to twist through the scenic hills above this port, plus to get back. For Queen of the Queen, what type of private tour are you planning?

It's now approaching 7 am on the ship as I get up (while my wife sleeps) to do lots of work on the huge pile of photographs taken and needing review, edit fine-tuning, uploads to Photobucket, etc. Just from yesterday alone, there were about 450 pictures to check through. WHY??

WOW!! What a day in and around Napier. Not many ships dock here. It is a great town and area, but this was the first time for our Captain and as I understand the Solstice to be docked here. This is the second busiest port for NZ. Huge amounts of timber on the docks here going out to China, plus so much else being exported from this area. The call it the "Bay of Plenty" with good reasons. Lots of nice wineries here. Saw a wide range of crops and fruits being grown in this area that generally has very good weather. Never gets too cold here, even in their winter. Rainfall amounts are not too heavy in this part of NZ.

DETAILED CAPE KIDNAPPERS SUMMARY:

We had super high expectations here due to the advance research, checking Bing.com pictures, etc., but those big hopes were vastly and dramatically exceeded by the real life experiences of yesterday. WOW!! Times five, plus more.

1. Get off of the ship and met by our experienced guide, Jo and Joanna. Great, warm, funny, sharing person who has lived her whole life here. Her family owned "The Farm" before Tiger Fund billionaire Julian Robinson bought the nearly 6,000 acres that compose Cape Kidnappers. She knows this territory so well, can answer every little question, etc., etc. As departed the ship, the Captain was there and agreed to do a picture with some of the ladies in our group. We congratulated him on the docking in this tight, challenging port.

2. Drove through quaint Napier town, along the shore area in going towards Cape Kidnappers, seeing and learning so much of interest about the agriculture, weather, economy, etc. for this great NZ region.

3. There were fourteen of us in our private group from Central Ohio. We were in a large (but not too large) of a four-wheel drive bus that took us throughout the private gates to enter this protected area. We drove through great stands of forests, deep ravines, up to scenic hilltop areas, over challenging terrain, etc. We went this morning to the first of seven different gannet nesting areas. We were up close and personal to see (and smell) thousands and thousands of these super cute and interesting birds. Only about 100-200 people each day get to come back here. We feel so super fortunate to be here and have a guide who knew ALL of the background and details. You'll see the pictures soon and then you will understand why I am so glowing in these comments. We went to several other vista points, learned more about Captain Cook, his experience here in 1769 (as I recall the date) and why it is named Cape Kidnappers.

4. On our way to lunch, one person in our party wanted to stop at the golf course pro shop to look at some shirts from this location to buy for a family member. Did I mention a golf course? YES!!! This is only the 23rd best golf course in the whole, complete WORLD!! From the outside, this structure looks like a marginal exterior of an old farm building. BUT, the inside is so nice, well done in a hyper tasteful manner. Plus, having free wi-fi, rest rooms, etc. Great, highly enjoyable extra stop. The pictures will tell more. By the way, this is a public golf course, but you need to check and book ahead. To stay here, the most basic of the 23 rooms and suites here start at $1000 a night for a couple. You can spend lots more, if you want the better accommodations.

5. Next to have lunch. Not McDonalds here. There are four chefs working on lunch for us and the two other tables of visitors here this day at this scenic location's lodge building. First, the General Manager, Hannah Butler, greets us and give us a personal tour of this facility that is styled and decorated in an understated, highly-tasteful manner. Class? It does not get any better than this location or the three-course meal we enjoyed. WOW, again and again!! The fourteen of us are seating at a large table in a special, glassed-in, but open area with views out to the Pacific Ocean, seeing all of the scenic hills and great terrain. It just us, the views, great food, etc. This golf course and lodge/dining facility opened only six years ago in 2007. The pictures will prove all that I am saying.

6. In doing a private tour, the key advantage is the ability to adjust and adapt our schedule/plans as we deal with a world-class location and a perfect, sunny day that was also very cool and comfortable. We decided to head towards Napier with its special art-decco buildings for shopping and walking around in their compact and enjoyable down. Good plan. Plus more time to drive out through this 6,000 acre farm with its sheep, woods, sights, views, nature, etc.

7. BUT, Jo tossed out a nice, added option. She is an excellent artist in oils. One of her large paintings was hanging at The Farm's Lodge, plus many are in galleries in Napier. Would we like to stop and see her studio? She lives in a beach-front house in the town just north of Cape Kidnappers. Our answer? Yes! It was super worth it. Lots of interesting plants on her grounds, nice to see more of her work, look at her section of the beach, etc. This all added to the "personal touch", learning more about life here, etc.

8. Napier was wonderful and charming. Great stop, took lots of pictures, stopped in a local bank (with free wifi), talked with the local pharmacy owner, etc. Our ladies didn't buy too much here. There was a special local ice cream they got here and we enjoyed. About 45 minutes to enjoy this great little town with such character and charm as it re-built after its devastating earthquake and fire of 1931.

9. Back to the ship where a bunch of old 1930's cars and a jazz-style band was there to greet us, thank us for visiting Napier. YES!! We super liked this port stop. More details with all of the pictures to come in the upcoming posts. Plus more on why the great combination of an excellent travel agent, plus smart, focused research by the traveler personally in advance makes the best, winning combination to create days like yesterday in Napier.

Sorry for being so long in this summary, but when we have had this good fortune during a day, it is fun to share.

For Sat, Feb. 1, in Tauranga, AccuWeather (that has been very, very good in their predictions and info so far on this long trip), they are saying . . . mostly cloudy and breezy, high of 72° and low 57°. We'll take it!! For Auckland on Mon., Feb. 3, the latest update show it will be mostly sunny and nice, high of 72°, low of 60°; Tues., Feb. 4, mostly cloudy with a shower, high of 75°, low of 65°; Wed., Feb. 5, partly sunny, a few showers with a high 76° and a low 63°. Why worry on the weather? Got to decide whether to wear shorts or now!! Shorts and short-sleaved Polo shirt worked perfect yesterday at Cape Kidnappers, especially knowing of the winter weather back home in Ohio.

As we plan ahead for Waikoloa Beach on the Big Island of Hawaii, those four days are looking to be: Wed., Feb. 5, sunshine and some clouds, high of 82°, low of 67°; Thursday, Feb. 6, mostly cloudy, high of 79°, low of 69°; Friday, Feb. 7, a little afternoon rain, high of 80°, low of 66°; Sat., Feb. 8, a shower in the afternoon, high of 79°, low of 65°; Sun., Feb. 9, partly sunny, a few showers, high of 79°, low of 65°. Can we survive with that kind of weather for our first visit to the famed Big Island? YES!!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 132,821 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We are also doing a similar cruise in October that stops in Napier. I would love to have the email address or link to this tour your group did for a group that I have on my cruise. If you can share I would love to get in touch with them to try and set up something like this. It sounds wonderful.

Gypsy Lady

Alexandra

I've sailed the Solstice before, and just returned from it's sister ship, the Silhouette. There was a time a few years ago when, in my opinion, Celebrity took a nose dive. Our first cruising experience was on a Celebrity ship 12 years ago, and it was outstanding, but it declined dramatically (from food to cleanliness). Our latest experience two weeks ago was superb -- someone must have made a concerted effort to upgrade the entire Celebrity experience. Having said that, we did not eat in the main dining room once, and we were upgraded to Aqua class and had access to the Blu Restaurant and all related aqua amenities. We bought a food package enabling us to eat only in the specialty restaurants -- almost all outstanding and never a crowd. This significantly enhanced our experience. The ship never felt crowded; service was close to or about as good as many higher end cruise lines; and the value was simply amazing (Aqua class balcony for under $900 pp for a week, inclusive).

To make a long story short, I think this 14 day trip is a great value. For a few extra bucks, you have the capacity to make it amazing.

Jay and Sara

making me rethink clothes to bring.I m from FL.and it sounds COLD at 57 or even wearing shorts in 70s.WHEW.I m used to 80s..haha

Re.ship.May look at Celebrity now,since you seem to enjoy it.Took 1 mass market RSSC 3 mos ago and hated it.Too many people,long lines,poor food,no room service breakfast,,I mean...??Is this one better?? Don t mean to sound snobby,but hate to be nickel and dimed.Like luxury,or at least premium.Have never tried Celebrity.

Like the 14 day itinerary, DH still works and many of the other lines have 16 day.Not counting flight days,etc.

PS.DID order a brochure,but it never came.Called and told it would be there,but 2mos and NADA.Hate to rely just on computer.

:confused:

Alexandra

I've sailed the Solstice before, and just returned from it's sister ship, the Silhouette. There was a time a few years ago when, in my opinion, Celebrity took a nose dive. Our first cruising experience was on a Celebrity ship 12 years ago, and it was outstanding, but it declined dramatically (from food to cleanliness). Our latest experience two weeks ago was superb -- someone must have made a concerted effort to upgrade the entire Celebrity experience. Having said that, we did not eat in the main dining room once, and we were upgraded to Aqua class and had access to the Blu Restaurant and all related aqua amenities. We bought a food package enabling us to eat only in the specialty restaurants -- almost all outstanding and never a crowd. This significantly enhanced our experience. The ship never felt crowded; service was close to or about as good as many higher end cruise lines; and the value was simply amazing (Aqua class balcony for under $900 pp for a week, inclusive).

To make a long story short, I think this 14 day trip is a great value. For a few extra bucks, you have the capacity to make it amazing.

Jay and Sara

I have to agree with these comments, I find the quality in th eMDR is good as well. Caveat -I have not sailed RCI as yet but have sailed P&O and 'X' is streets ahead sailed 'X' 4 times (3 on the Solstice) with a few more booked.:D

I have to agree with these comments, I find the quality in th eMDR is good as well. Caveat -I have not sailed RCI as yet but have sailed P&O and 'X' is streets ahead sailed 'X' 4 times (3 on the Solstice) with a few more booked.:D

We recently spent a month on the Reflection and the food in the MDR was great. Last year we did Blu and we are not big fans although we loved breakfast. We have gone through the ups and down with X and the MDR is definitely on the upside the last 2 years.

Pam

now IF they d just send me a brochure.Asked my TA and was told "he only deals with premium and luxury lines". Guess that s why I get the 5%cash back.But ,it seems,if I book Penthouse it would be similar price as some of the luxury lines.Confusing.

Sometimes too much research and info gets a bit overwhelming.Was ALMOST sure I d book on Oceania,Seabourn,or Silverseas.Now more to review.haha:confused:

Arriving here in the busy port of Napier and appreciate all of the continued nice comments. We had a great and interesting time in Wellington yesterday. All went well, including the super sunny and nice weather. Looks like just . . . "MORE OF THE SAME" today. Is it getting boring with this kind of weather? NO!! Schools are closed again back in Central Ohio, making these "conditions" so much better here in NZ. Tomorrow is a sea day and I hope to catch up more on posting lots more photos at that time.

Looking ahead (yes, sadly, this cruise port is getting closer to wrapping up), here is what AccuWeather is predicting for Auckland on Mon., Jan. 3: partly sunny and nice, high of 77°, low of 60°, historic average on this day of 73°, low of 60°. On Tues., Jan. 4, mostly sunny, high of 72°, low of 62°, historic average of a high of 73° and low of 60°; Wed. Jan. 5, clouding up, high of 71°, low of 61°. We can deal with those kind of weather challenges.

Through our great Travel Agent (that I cannot name here on the CC Boards), we will be doing a private tour for our group of fourteen to see, up-close, Cape Kidnappers and do a "Gannet Safari". Then, we will do lunch at "The Farm". It is a five-mile drive off of the main road to reach this luxury, rustic lodge built in 2007 atop the summit of this 6,000-acre working farm. The road winds through a dense forest, over a stream and past random encounters with goats and sheep. The ride leads to the ultimate panoramic views of Tom Doak's famed Cape Kidnappers golf course and the Pacific Ocean on the horizon. 

The lodge looks like a cluster of farm buildings from the outside, including a silo that's actually a circular sitting room called the "snug." The main section houses a casual dining room and veranda, a library and business center. A wine room and fitness center are downstairs. The 27 cottage suites are all within walking distance. 
 This five-star destination is not like most farms. It's all play -- and no work -- for guests at this luxury lodge. Head Chef Tim Pickering sources produce as locally as possible, including from its own vegetable garden. Daily menu’s are based on what is freshest and most seasonal. Dining here is limited to only those who are overnight guest at the resort. Or, those, like us, that have an "in" to be able to visit here without needing to pay the high, high over-night charges.

I will be getting lots of pictures here at these scenic location, plus hopefully a few in the art-decco city of Napier as we travel back. Am still working on answers for the mast height on the ship and the ice-topped bar repairs.

As noted below, the live/blog from my last cruise on the Solstice just went over 160,000 views. Appreciate those who have tuned into that adventure, asked questions, etc. This series of posts, still a work in progress, is now over 13,000 views.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 160,172 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry - what tour operator did you use for your Cape Kidnappers excursion? Sounds like an interesting tour! We'll be there next year.

Really enjoying your posts!!

Terry - what tour operator did you use for your Cape Kidnappers excursion? Sounds like an interesting tour! We'll be there next year. Really enjoying your posts!!

Things have been super busy as we are getting ready to finish our 14-day “adventure” for Australia and New Zealand. Just one more shore visit. That will be a tendering for the Bay of Island on Sunday, Feb. 2. We have a private sailing trip lined up for our Central Ohio group.

Today was docking at the port of Tauranga and then going through Grumpy’s Tours and our wonderful guide/driver of Matt to Rotorua. Lots of scenery/sampling for this part of NZ to do enroute during the roughly 75 minute trip there. Then, much to see in and around this charming town on a huge lake. Plus, several other scenic lakes in the area with lots of interesting history and great views. Did I mention super nice weather, again, today? Yes, very true.

Then it was mid-day at Whakarewarewa thermal area and doing the Te Puia Maori cultural arts and performing show. Great pictures to share!! Lots of more details to post. BUT, things continue to be too busy on this ship as we are preparing to get packed, cleaning up other loose ends, PLUS, dinner and show tonight, etc.

TWO EARLIER QUESTIONS??: Yes, the Martini Bar has now got its frozen surface fixed and the cold stuff is pouring out with great magic. One in our group, Mike, had last night one of the seven-different pourings done by the artists in this area of the ship. Second, when walking back on the ship, I asked Solstice Hotel Director Thomas Brady about whether the top of the ship got lower to fit under that key bridge in SW Canada. YES, was his answer!! That got done during the last dry dock. He said things will be working perfectly for that area when they return to Vancouver in May. Good news?

Appreciate the continued nice comments and great involvement/interest. Now over 17,400 views. Keep up the good work. Below are the first of four sets of pictures from the Napier/Cape Kidnapper area. More later. BUT, it might be a few days till I am totally caught up. So many wonderful visuals and memories to share. For the Kangaroo Island and other specific booking details, I might need to save those for mid-February when we return to Central Ohio. Still have two nights in Auckland, plus four nights on the Big Island of Hawaii. Biggest complaint?: Things are too busy and involved. So many options. So little time. Can't do it all and still be enjoying my vacation. Nice to have these kind of challenges and opportunities.

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 15,771 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

NAPIER/CAPE KIDNAPPER #1:

As we were departing the ship for Cape Kidnapper, the Captain of the Solstice was outside supervising. I asked him if he would posed for a picture with three members of our Central Ohio group. He said YES! and enjoyed this time with these three fine ladies, including my wife on the left. Fun start on a beautiful weather day.:

NapCapKidGannets1_zps67eddfdc.jpg

Here we are starting to be driving through thick woods on part of “The Farm” where Cape Kidnapper is location. This is all private lands, nearly 6,000 acres.:

NapCapKidGannets118_zps89e8bbec.jpg

This really is a working farm with many thousands of sheep roaming this territory. Here are some sheep being loaded up. Sadly, you know where they are going. That’s life (or something else on a farm.:

NapCapKidGannets11_zps0bbc108e.jpg

Here is the first of the famed gannets at this location. This is just one small sampling of many big groups of these super cute birds. :

NapCapKidGannets13_zps64175760.jpg

Here is one of the soaring birds here at Cape Kidnappers that I captured with my camera.:

NapCapKidGannets14_zps56dac26a.jpg

Here is our expert guide/driver, Jo, traveling along the ridge near the water (on the Pacific Ocean) as we go to see more of the nesting areas along this super scenic coast.:

NapCapKidGannets17_zps9aed0168.jpg

NAPIER/CAPE KIDNAPPER #2:

Here on the roughly 6,000 acres, it is not just about the dramatic coastlines and the gannets. There are also lots of other dramatic landscapes and scenic views. Here are Diane and Mike from our Central Ohio group looking over towards the ridges and lands to the west of these coastal areas. Nice looking?:

NapCapKidGannets12_zps3ff15f4d.jpg

Here are two of these great-looking birds enjoying the coastal setting. Does it get any more special that being at this type of location with these birds?:

NapCapKidGannets111_zps23dab361.jpg

Here we are looking down from the top of one of the cliffs towards another nesting area on a lower level.:

NapCapKidGannets19_zps1edcdd31.jpg

These two birds are playing and enjoying whatever it is that they do for “togetherness”!! It was nice to be so close, with help from my Nikon telephoto lens, to these birds.:

NapCapKidGannets110_zpsb4bb82a2.jpg

Here is another example of a soaring bird at Cape Kidnappers, 19 miles south of Napier.:

NapCapKidGannets16_zps6fc9437e.jpg

Here is John from our group and guide/driver Jo talking about this wonderful area. In the background is a longer view of the actual Cape Kidnappers with its famed “hook” showing to the left out in the water.:

NapCapKidGannets18_zpsf6737bc8.jpg

NAPIER/CAPE KIDNAPPERS #3:

This is my wife, Penny, using our binoculars to examine more closely the “hook” at the point or tip of Cape Kidnappers.:

NapCapKidGannets15_zpsd286076f.jpg

We stopped at the golf course pro shop/lockers for a little “retail therapy”. Looked rustic on the outside, but this area had great, under-stated “class” on the inside. Here are some metal kiwi items, plus merchandise here and a picture featuring some of this challenging golf course from an air view. This is the 23rd rated best course in the world.:

NapCapKidGannets112_zpse91a958e.jpg

At The Farm Lodge we got a personal tour by General Manager Hannah Butler. Here we are outside on the patio/lawn that overlooks the scenic areas, including the Pacific Ocean in the distance.:

NapCapKidGannets114_zps8c0212b8.jpg

At The Farm Lodge, here is just one little interior small sampling of its design, style and class. Nothing loud or shouting in this upscale setting.:

NapCapKidGannets113_zpsadc1ca92.jpg

Here are members of our 14-person group enjoying our scenic and dramatic setting at a private, outdoor location for our three-course, gourmet lunch this day.:

NapCapKidGannets115_zps0061777a.jpg

Here is the main beef dish we had during our lunch at The Farm. Super taste, prepared perfectly. Plus, nice views and company!!:

NapCapKidGannets116_zps1d5eb56f.jpg

NAPIER/CAPE KIDNAPPERS #4:

Here is the chocolate dessert with ice cream, popcorn and other tasteful treats. Any calories here?:

NapCapKidGannets117_zpse2d9cd6e.jpg

On the way back to Napier, we visited Jo’s studio, saw her beach views and a unique local flowering bush in her garden area. Not a big property, but its location is so special and nice in this village about half-way between Cape Kidnappers and Napier. We appreciate Jo’s sharing of so much information about this area, her family and her personal interests.:

NapCapKidGannets119_zps7754b408.jpg

NapCapKidGannets120_zps8d2b4148.jpg

NapCapKidGannets121_zps067f64fd.jpg

In returning to the Solstice, the community of Napier said a big “thank you” with these various older cars, people dressed in period costumes and a nice jazz-style band that brought back nice memories of New Orleans style/fun. They were located in the area as we walked to re-board the Solstice. Nice day here? Yes, but I also have lots of pictures to share from Napier, etc.:

NapCapKidReturn_zps5380a97f.jpg

NapCapKidReturn1_zps4933c649.jpg

The call it the "Bay of Plenty" with good reasons

Terry - I am really enjoying your blog - thanks for sharing your journey with us

I just wanted to correct one comment you made so in an earlier post so you are aware of the correct names - Napier is actually in Hawkes Bay

Your reference to the Bay of Plenty in connection with Napier and Cape Kidnappers is actually incorrect - it is Tauranga (and Rotorua) that are in the Bay of Plenty

Edited by Bodogbodog

Wonderful pics again, Terry. Keep 'em coming (if and when you have time of course). Methinks you have fallen in love with NZ just a little bit too now :D - join the gang!

Are the Pohutakawa trees in bloom? They're the big trees with beautiful red blooms usually found around the coastline of NZ and are known as the NZ Christmas tree. I'm not sure if they would still be in bloom now. You may be interested http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/photo/pohutukawa-flowers.

And have you seen a kiwi bird yet? I doubt it as they are nocturnal, but they are soooo cute! :)

Bodogbodog: Terry - I am really enjoying your blog - thanks for sharing your journey with us. I just wanted to correct one comment you made so in an earlier post so you are aware of the correct names - Napier is actually in Hawkes Bay. Your reference to the Bay of Plenty in connection with Napier and Cape Kidnappers is actually incorrect - it is Tauranga (and Rotorua) that are in the Bay of Plenty.

YES!! Good eye and technical catch above by our friend from Sydney. I had said "They call it the 'Bay of Plenty' with good reasons". Tauranga and Rotorua are correctly and better known as the "Bay of Plenty". My confusion is that Napier and Hawkes Bays are ALSO super productive in their soils' date=' climate and growth cycles for so many different items that the word "plenty" was stuck in my brain. That term can apply to both places. Hawkes Bays is also probably rated as the second best area of NZ for its quality wine production.

We learned lots during our trips/tours from our excellent guides about how these [b']NZ growing conditions are so totally fabulous[/b]. Much is because of the volcanic enrichment of soils here, including for the pines that originally came from the Monterey areas of California. They grow about three times faster here. They also tested how well redwoods grow in New Zealand. Fast, also, but it is the pines that do so spectacular that it is a big part of the NZ economy to produced these woods and logs for exports. The redwoods tested here did not produce quite the same strength of wood and grain structure as desired from the experiments started in the late 1800's.

For our time on the ship, my initial $199 Internet package is getting near the end. Don't want or need today to buy another smaller package, so this will probably be my last post from the ship. BUT, I have lots and lots more of my visuals to share. PLUS, many, many other details, insights, etc., to post. AND . . . much more on recent port stops, Auckland, nearby Waiheke Island and then to finish with four nights on Hawaii's Big Island. Just from yesterday, I have about 400 pictures to review, check, edit, etc. Some really good visuals from our time in and around Rotorua. Great stop, as have been all of the locations in scenic and charming New Zealand. More today and in the coming days till we depart from Auckland on Wednesday, Feb. 5.

Great sunrise coming up day as our ship is lowering the tender boats and getting ready for an exciting day in this very scenic part of northern NZ.

Appreciate the nice and kind comments. Keep rolling with the excellent questions and insights. Don't be shy. Lots to share about these great areas.

Also, we are in the "packing up management challenge period", considering departure times from the ship, getting right tags for bags, etc. Lots of details to wrap up at the end of a cruise. Check our ship billing info for accuracy, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 160,172 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are two views from their website of the 60' sailing ship Zindabar that we have booked for today with our time at the Bay of Islands. First, shows its sails up in more open waters. Second is the Zindabar in an area called Dead Goat Bay. Scenic enough area? My camera will be ready to capture many more on our sailing adventure aboard this racing ship.

ZindabarSailingOpenWater.jpg

ZindabarDeadGoatBayScenic.jpg

Thanks for info on funnel / mast adjustments inquiriy. It is indeed good news. We all knew it would be done, were all wondering when&where.

Surprised it was already taken care of during her last drydock.

Thanks for your superb blog.

Claude

Hawkes Bays is also probably rated as the second best area of NZ for its quality wine production.... for the pines that originally came from the Monterey areas of California. They grow about three times faster here

Terry - sorry to hear your NZ adventure is nearing an end - hope you have a safe flight home

Now you have piqued my interest with that comment on wine production areas - so what's the #1 area then? - I hope it's Marlborough as that's my old home area - and of course there's fierce rivalry for the claim to be the #1 area. The good news is that NZ has so many great and varied appellation areas to choose from

The second point I wanted to add us the variety of pine - it's Pinus Radiata and there are huge tracts of land planted in that variety (including in the Bay of Plenty :p)

Bon Voyage

Edited by Bodogbodog