Booked today... Couple of questions

Doerthoch

Hi,

Booked our first cruise and it will be Alaska. Hubby and I are going the last week in May. :)

I still need to book airfare. Quick question.

We're planning on trying to get a flight out the same say we are departing from Vancouver. We're low on vacation days...

If the plane lands an 12:00 do you think it will be enough time to get to the ship by 2:00?

What's the best way to get to the dock from Vancover airport? Taxi? Is there a shuttle company to use?

I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions the next few months, so thanks in advance for all of your help, much appreciated.

If I were flying in day of, I would book cruise line transfers.

You don't say where you are flying from, but if it is a US flight, they might offer the US direct program again. If you fly in day of, and go straight to the pier, and have cruise line transfers, its an expedited immigration/customs process.

Don't know where you are coming from but you most likely have to clear Cdn Customs and Immigration. Lets assume everything is on time. 20 to get off the plane. Another 15 for your bags. 30 minutes to clear customs. 10 minutes to get a cab. 25-45 minute ride to the pier depending on what day of the week it is. A week day at noon will be pushing 45 minutes. You just used up the two hours you have left yourself and that's assuming everything works like a stopwatch. Way to much to chance for this boy.

You also need to consider how many other ships are boarding that day as well as the number of passengers on yours and the others. Is your flight direct? How busy is the airport you are flying on? Remember the ship won't wait unless you have air from them. I fly in the day before for all my cruises- even a nonstop to Florida. I would fly in the day before.

I don't think you should do it. I was debating whether I could take a flight that arrives at 11:45 a.m. to check in by 3:00 (5 p.m. sailing) and decided against it. Even the slightest delay in flights will jeopardize your embarkation. Also, someone mentioned customs. On a busy day, I've heard it can take 90+ minutes! I decided to take an earlier flight that arrives at 8:15 instead.

Remember the ship won't wait unless you have air from them. .

Even if you have cruise air, the ship may not wait. Considering tides and other nautical stuff and also considering that they may have to go faster and use more fuel to make up time, they are not going to hold up the ship for just a few people.

Also, if you are even willing to accept the probability of missing the ship and flying to the first port, there may be legal problems wit that solution.

Don't chance it. Why start your cruise with an elevated blood pressure? Another thing - was that 2:00 PM time check in or sailing?

DON

Edited by donaldsc

My very first cruise I did not know you should book flights the day before your cruise. I was going from Chicago to Miami with a 2 hour lay over in DC. Do to a mechanical problem our plane from Chicago took off 2 hours late, so we thought we had missed our connection in DC. My daughters were so, so stressed being their first cruise as was I. We carried our luggage onboard so no luggage to collect which worked as they held the plane in DC for all us us going to Miami. The people who had checked luggage would not get it in Miami til the next day.

We now Always fly in the day before, the stress is so not worth saving a few hundred dollars for a hotel. No way to start off your vacation all stressed.

We're leaving from NY

The ship is scheduled to leave the dock at 4:30.. So I'm assuming we have to be their the latest 3:00.

I went on the Celebrity air site and they recommend the same flights that I was looking at. Which land between 12:00 and 12:30.

If we did come the same day, how do you usually get to the port?

Using another vacation day is the problem.

Maybe I'll see if there are any red eye flights

There are NO "red eye" flights going east TO west.

IF you have to fly in the day of the cruise- you need to ONLY consider the FIRST out flights-- which leave around 6am and have, at most only ONE connection.

You are underestimating time, once you land in Vancouver, if your sitting in the back, it's 10++ minutes just getting off the plan, walk to baggage, another wait, clearing customs, more waits. Can be close to an hour before you even get out of the terminal.

IF you have NO mobility limitations, AND pack light, taking the Skytrain, is probably the most time saving. Then you would walk a couple blocks worth to the ship at Canada Place. (verify the dock)

Cab would be another option, during the week, Vancouver is very congested traffic- all stop and go.

You would be better off, taking the last flight of the day after work, the night before.

Plenty of people do make same day flights, just aren't any options if "something" happens, which seems like you are willing to accept?

Disagree with most of the above..same day arrival into YVR at 12:00pm should give you time to get to Canada Place for your cruise (we are doing it May 30th and have done it several times)...You can book cruiseline bus transfers (and using the US Direct Program) you just need to have a flight arriving into YVR no later than 1:30pm which you have...You can also opt to just take a taxi which will be less expensive...

Many on these boards fail to understand not everyone has the option to arrive pre-cruise..we each have our own time constraints to allow for and our comfort level in managing these..Choose what ever works out best for you...Chances are you and the many other passengers arriving with you on your flight will have no problem ;)

If you must fly in day of, I would book cruise line transfers. If your arrival time is too late, they won't let you book. Plus, with the US Direct program (assuming its running next year), you won't have to go through a full immigration check. You just get on a bus, that gets sealed, and straight to the port, bypassing the immigration back to the US.

Many of us do understand time constraints. I certainly do. Yes, OP can make the ship if all goes well. But WHAT if it doesn't? I sure hope she buys travel insurance. Me- flying out of JFK or Laguardia or Newark- no way I would risk my vacation. Heck, I changed my flight coming home in December in Fort Lauderdale that had a 10:30 time. Could I have made it- probably. But what if I didn't? Most flights are booked pretty full and she has no time to.play with. She has a stop as well.

One word of caution, IF you are on a one way northbound cruise.

If you do miss embarkation, it's highly unlikely that you will be permitted to "catch up" to the ship at its next port, as this would violate the PVSA. Furthermore, it's highly unlikely that travel insurance would reimburse you for missing the cruise, because the reason for doing so would be due to the presence of a law, the PVSA. Keep this in mind when planning your flights.

Even though I am retired I still fly multiple times a year, and I am in the camp who doesn't fly the same day the cruise embarks. Just too much can happen, whether it be mechanical delays, weather delays or delayed baggage. I've also cleared customs at the Vancouver airport, and the process was slow. Budget Queen has an excellent suggestion -- can you fly the night before?

Disagree with most of the above..same day arrival into YVR at 12:00pm should give you time to get to Canada Place for your cruise (we are doing it May 30th and have done it several times)...You can book cruiseline bus transfers (and using the US Direct Program) you just need to have a flight arriving into YVR no later than 1:30pm which you have...You can also opt to just take a taxi which will be less expensive...

Many on these boards fail to understand not everyone has the option to arrive pre-cruise..we each have our own time constraints to allow for and our comfort level in managing these..Choose what ever works out best for you...Chances are you and the many other passengers arriving with you on your flight will have no problem ;)

Are you coming from California with your "disagreement" recommendation? This location is a lot closer to Vancouver and most times you would have at least 2 flights to make it in time to a Vancouver cruise. Out of NYC, you may have two flights possible, but, flights now fly full, especially to Vancouver and Seattle.

I do not have any time constraints and travel frequently. But I have seen a lot of panic with people, including yesterday when I was getting out of Orlando. Security lines were real backed up and flights were being missed, I have access to flight loads on a certain airline, and can assure you, they weren't going to be going anywhere soon, with over booked flights until the last out. (if they needed connections, may be out of luck until today.)

Adding days, adds more possibilities and ways to fix the snags, that can and do happen. Fortunately, most flights do depart and arrive timely. Hopefully the majority of people are successful with their transportation choices.

We are doing the cruise in July and will fly out the day before. As noted by another poster, just not worth the high blood pressure of flying thru the mid-west during the summer on the same day as the cruise.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I prefer to fly to Vancouver a day early, but many times I have flown day of cruise. I would never take a flight with a plane change on the day of the cruise.

If they offer US Direct, that is your best route, if not you could use the cruise line transfer.

Arriving around noon is the worst time because that's when the carriers arrive from Asia and there can be quite a wait going through immigration.

If you don't do the ships transfer, there are plenty of cab's and limo's outside the door available to take you for the 30-45 minute ride. And also the Skytrain if you can handle your own bags.

As someone who lives 20 min from the Vancouver airport I for sure would give myself more than 2 hr. to get from yvr to downtown. If it is a large plane you are coming on,you'll be waiting for the luggage to arrive for p.u. Also, if several planes from overseas arrive at the same time the line up for clearing customs can be quite long. It does move very fast . I would take the Canada line from yvr. It will be a direct 24 min. Trip. To the waterfront station/cruise port. Cost is about $7.50 a person. If there is bad traffic it can be fast as it goes underground and misses all the trafific.

Using another vacation day is the problem.

Maybe I'll see if there are any red eye flights

Cathay Pacific has a flight leaving NYC at 9:55pm and arriving in Vancouver at 12:45am. You can then stay at a hotel at or near the airport and come into town the next morning.

If you get up early you can see some sites along the waterfront & gastown before boarding. (you'll be up because your body with be on eastern time)

Cathay provides a lot of "comfort freebies" and is a good airline.

Edited by lamchops

Cathay Pacific's nonstop flight from JFK to Vancouver departs at 9:15 PM and arrives just after midnight. It is BY FAR the best transcontinental flight available in North America. If you have (or can obtain) any American Airlines frequent flyer miles, redeeming 25,000 for a one-way business class seat on this plane is - in my view - one of the best deals using miles in the whole wide world.

Don't know where you are coming from but you most likely have to clear Cdn Customs and Immigration. Lets assume everything is on time. 20 to get off the plane. Another 15 for your bags. 30 minutes to clear customs. 10 minutes to get a cab. 25-45 minute ride to the pier depending on what day of the week it is. A week day at noon will be pushing 45 minutes. You just used up the two hours you have left yourself and that's assuming everything works like a stopwatch. Way to much to chance for this boy.

you clear customs after you get your bags, and considering all you do is hand them a card, it's never taken me more than 60 seconds.

Immigration is cleared before you get to the luggage carousels and can take 0-30 minutes (you never really know), but normally by the time you've cleared immigration, your bags are already waiting

All that being said, if there's any delays in your schedule, you're in trouble. Always best to fly in the day before.

Which of these does your ship leave from. Most but not all use Canada Place. If it is not Canada Place then taking the Sky Train from the airport will do you no good at all. And as a frequent traveller through YVR I still think your two hour window is too optomistic.

Are you coming from California with your "disagreement" recommendation? This location is a lot closer to Vancouver and most times you would have at least 2 flights to make it in time to a Vancouver cruise. Out of NYC, you may have two flights possible, but, flights now fly full, especially to Vancouver and Seattle.

I do not have any time constraints and travel frequently. But I have seen a lot of panic with people, including yesterday when I was getting out of Orlando. Security lines were real backed up and flights were being missed, I have access to flight loads on a certain airline, and can assure you, they weren't going to be going anywhere soon, with over booked flights until the last out. (if they needed connections, may be out of luck until today.)

Adding days, adds more possibilities and ways to fix the snags, that can and do happen. Fortunately, most flights do depart and arrive timely. Hopefully the majority of people are successful with their transportation choices.

I always find it's good to have "all" options and "experiences" posted so it's not so "one sided"..Which same day arrival responses certainly can be regardless of where/what/when ;):)