Princess Trial Liquor Packages

BarbaraP

we were on a Royal in Sept and they offered the package. Since my daughter in law was pregnant they let my son buy one package for his room. I am not sure if Princess will follow suit if it is for medical reasons.

The package is being tested on both the Star and Sapphire. $49/pp/day plus 15% gratuity. Everyone 21 and older in the cabin must purchase it, those under 21 must purchase an "Ultimate" card/sticker. The package includes all beverages valued up to $10, including brewed coffee, wine, beer and alcoholic drinks. It's not being offered on any ship on short cruises.

Considering that it includes everything $10 and under - it works out to very little overall. Specialty coffees, bottled water, sodas, fresh juices, ice cream shakes, plus any booze - it works out very well for those who like a cocktail or two and also enjoy other beverages throughout the day.

If it doesn't work for you, no worries. That's why they are not mandatory!

I agree totally. Plus, it is so nice to have what you want, when you want. I ordered a couple of drinks on my last trip that I would have never even tried if I had to "pay" for it. It was nice to try something new, and order something different if it wasn't to my liking.

I agree totally. Plus, it is so nice to have what you want, when you want. I ordered a couple of drinks on my last trip that I would have never even tried if I had to "pay" for it. It was nice to try something new, and order something different if it wasn't to my liking.

Exactly. Enjoyed being able to try a few new things, and to have all the bottled water I wanted - which is a LOT!!! I had a few of the after dinner coffees, which were very tasty, normally I only have one or two during a cruise, but was able to try some of the combos I never had before.

We find it also very freeing to know what our bar bill is in advance. We do enjoy our various drinks throughout the day and knowing that it was paid for and done was very relaxing. It was extra nice having it over the 2 holidays (Christmas and New Year's) as most folks tend to celebrate a little extra - and this way we didn't have to worry about those extra holiday cocktails!

It most certainly is not for everyone, or they would make it mandatory. For those that enjoy several drinks throughout the day, it's great. For others who may only have an occasional extra pay beverage, it obviously is not for them. To each their own.

Entire cruise and can only be purchased on embarkation or following day.

We had it on the Star for our 15 night holiday Hawaii cruise, if you have any questions (that haven't been answered in the other threads/posts by myself or others) happy to answer them. It worked great for us, but others may not find it to be of value. We do not have kids/under 21s, just the 2 of us.

Can you give any more details? Can my DH get a bucket of beer by the pool. Does it apply to room service alcohol. Is it just a single drink at a bar or glass of wine with dinner? Do you get a discount on a bottle of wine?

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by BarbaraP

Can you give any more details? Can my DH get a bucket of beer by the pool. Does it apply to room service alcohol. Is it just a single drink at a bar or glass of wine with dinner? Do you get a discount on a bottle of wine?

I don't know about the bucket of beer. We ordered drinks one at a time. Room service is not included but we did pick up a drink to bring back to the room. Bottles of wine are 40% off. But with unlimited glasses of wine, we never ordered a bottle.

I think some of the replies are really funny. Rubbish drinks is the funniest, just what are rubbish drinks? The ones about not drinking that much alcohol are also a bit over the top as people tend to not read the entire menu of what you get (bottled water, juices, sodas, coffee drinks,mocktails, smoothies, fresh brewed coffee, Plus the alcohol drinks and wine) if you add up what you consume all day every day, you might be surprised. Look at your bill for your last cruise and see what your tab was. If it came to more than $350 for a 7 day cruise then you would be better off buying the package. Do the math, if it works for you, buy it, if it doesn't, don't.... so simple.

It's a good deal for some and not a good deal for others - like most things. One would hope that, after a while, Princess would follow suit with the other lines that eventually changed the requirement for all people in a cabin to purchase the package. For many people that is a deal breaker.

I agree with Pam regarding "sharing" of the coffee card. I don't need one but it's good for my wife. I don't expect to get the fresh-brewed coffee when we only buy a card for my wife. It's kind of a "duh..." thing to me. The card is for the use of one person. So many people post about how they abuse the system and then wonder why restrictions are put in place.

Sure. Nope, no bucket of beer, but he wouldn't need it as he can have as many beers as he likes. He could, theoretically, have the bartender bring him a beer every ten minutes to stack together and make his own bucket, but why bother when you can get a fresh one any time you're ready? He can also pick up a can/bottle to take back to the cabin with him anytime and store them in the mini-fridge.

No, does not include room service, but you can very easily stop on the way to your cabin and get a drink/water/beer/soda. We took a bottle of water with us back to the cabin any time we went back, as I go through water like a fish.

You can have glasses of wine with dinner, your table waiters bring them out - there's a fairly extensive wine by the glass list. If you want a bottle, they are 40% off. You can pick up a glass on the way to dinner and have another at dinner and another after dinner. Or buy a bottle and they will store it for you.

Basically - the package applies to all bars and dining rooms around the ship. Everything $10 and under. There is no limit to how many drinks of any type you can have a day (at this point). Of course, if you are completely sloshed or falling down drunk, Princess can cut you off, as the do with those who don't have the package. Otherwise, everything was included: the after dinner shots (you just don't get the shot glass unless you want to pay for it), after dinner coffee drinks, dessert wines, cocktails, beers, sodas, coffees, waters, ice cream shakes, fresh juices - everything $10 and under.

Hope that helps.

The 15% is charged on the per day price of $50pp. So you don't pay it every time you order something. It is a one time, pay up front charge.

Because of this, I ended up tipping extra for good service.

Well, that makes a huge difference. I was thinking that every time I ordered something I would be charged 15 percent.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Sure. Nope, no bucket of beer, but he wouldn't need it as he can have as many beers as he likes. He could, theoretically, have the bartender bring him a beer every ten minutes to stack together and make his own bucket, but why bother when you can get a fresh one any time you're ready? He can also pick up a can/bottle to take back to the cabin with him anytime and store them in the mini-fridge.

No, does not include room service, but you can very easily stop on the way to your cabin and get a drink/water/beer/soda. We took a bottle of water with us back to the cabin any time we went back, as I go through water like a fish.

You can have glasses of wine with dinner, your table waiters bring them out - there's a fairly extensive wine by the glass list. If you want a bottle, they are 40% off. You can pick up a glass on the way to dinner and have another at dinner and another after dinner. Or buy a bottle and they will store it for you.

Basically - the package applies to all bars and dining rooms around the ship. Everything $10 and under. There is no limit to how many drinks of any type you can have a day (at this point). Of course, if you are completely sloshed or falling down drunk, Princess can cut you off, as the do with those who don't have the package. Otherwise, everything was included: the after dinner shots (you just don't get the shot glass unless you want to pay for it), after dinner coffee drinks, dessert wines, cocktails, beers, sodas, coffees, waters, ice cream shakes, fresh juices - everything $10 and under.

Hope that helps.

Are you sure you can get wine by the glass in the dining rooms? I thought I read it was only good in the bars. :eek:

The dining room is considered one of the bars (go figure)

That is because there is no actual bar in the dinning room. They have to go to the bar to pick up drink orders. They usually have a separate waiter or wine steward (sommelier) to take drink orders. Who knows with all of the cut backs they may just have one guy who is chief cook and bottle washer.

Edited by Iamcruzin

That is because there is no actual bar in the dinning room. They have to go to the bar to pick up drink orders. They usually have a separate waiter or wine steward (sommelier) to take drink orders. Who knows with all of the cut backs they may just have one guy who is chief cook and bottle washer.

The bar is usually in the galley.

The bar is usually in the galley.

Should have clarified No public bar in the dinning room although they have now combined some of the bars and specialty restaurants on the Royal.nu6yty5a.jpg

Poor guy looks like he is in prison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk