Royal Princess - 1/12-19 2014 General Impressions

Richmond

Not a long review but a few random thoughts, and of course, just my opinions and impressions........

The ship is indeed beautiful.

The staff we encountered were the best we have encountered in several cruises. Everyone had great, helpful attitudes.

As mentioned many times before by others, the lack of center staircases is definitely an issue. On the positive side, I well-exceeded 10,000 steps every day.

The lack of a Promenade is a significant issue for me, and one that would make me not want to sail this class again....I can not explain how much I missed being outside. I felt very much like the ship was confining me and wanting me inside.

We have traditionally walked the Promenade early every day. The jogging/walking track is so high on the ship that the wind is unbelievable. Literally you turned a corner toward the front, and you can be lifted slightly into the air. We did two miles one morning and never tried this again.

We had a balcony and that obviously allowed us 'outside' time, though again, I miss being able to walk and look at the sea. For those for whom this is not a desire, you will find this ship is beautiful with more public spaces and lots to do.

The lack of normal Promenade creates another issue.....there are a couple small sections outside on 7 which jut out from below the staterooms on 8 and above. We were on 8, and we overlooked one of these sections. There are florescent-type long lights which are mounted on the edge of the railings in these sections of the Promenade. This means when you walk out on your balcony above at night, rather than looking out in the darkness at the sea, you are looking out at blindingly bright kitchen-type lighting below you. I really, really did NOT like that and it changed the evening balcony experience for me a lot.

The new entertainment system in the rooms is nice - several times we missed things we wanted to see like a lecture, and we were able to catch it "on demand". MUTS become available the next day "on demand".

We were upgraded to "deluxe balcony". The rooms were large, balcony size seemed no different to me than other Princess ships I have been on; more than sufficient. The bathroom was well-laid out; shower seemed biggest I recalled. Shampoo and body wash are now in dispensers. Don't understand why people complain about the toilet paper location; the best part to me was NOT having that stupid dust cover over it.

The final show Spectacular was short and well done for those types of programs. There was an illusionist on board, but that's not my thing, but people were talking highly of him. We also had a really funny comedian from Boston who was very clean and made us laugh a lot. The Princess Theatre upgrades are lovely and they usually have three shows per night instead of two.

Alfredos pasta and pizza are delicious. Alfredo himself was on board and doing a lecture or two. We went a second time on the last day and it was very crowded and slow as I think the pizza oven was struggling to keep up.

Food and service in the dining room was much improved to our trip on the Caribbean Princess last year, but then again, just about everything is! We had a really great time last week, and if you are sailing on the Royal, we hope you do too!

Thank you for your review. We had booked the Royal but cancelled because of the lack of promenade deck. We also spend lots of time on this deck and therefore it is a big piece of our cruising experience especially in the Caribbean. Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the loss of this space.

Folks, don't forget that Princess is going to retrofit the Royal with a full Promenade deck during its first dry dock. Also, the Regal will have a full Promenade, central staircase and an aft pool...

Don't get your hopes up that both ships will have a full promenade. The plan is to enable people to walk behind the lifeboats from one area of open deck to the other on each side of the ship, no additional open deck space. The aft pool will most likely be just a plunge pool like that on the Grand/Gem class on the deck above Sabatini's. Not sure but I don't think it was decided to open up the central staircase?

Lack of promenade would not be a deal breaker for us. Actually if it is for walking the top deck has a great walk area and a better view. The Royal's Promenade Deck has some great reading and relaxing areas and when we discovered them became favourites. So which ship did you choose over the Royal??

Thank you for your review. We had booked the Royal but cancelled because of the lack of promenade deck. We also spend lots of time on this deck and therefore it is a big piece of our cruising experience especially in the Caribbean. Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the loss of this space.

Folks, don't forget that Princess is going to retrofit the Royal with a full Promenade deck during its first dry dock. Also, the Regal will have a full Promenade, central staircase and an aft pool...

This is fantastic news; Thanks, I hadn't seen this!

Read what Carolyn R wrote, as she is correct. And to expand of her comment it will not wrap around, just join the already existing areas.

Thanks - I replied before I saw that additional info. The existing areas are small and this won't really change much for me, though it very well may for others.

jdavid:

Lack of promenade would not be a deal breaker for us. Actually if it is for walking the top deck has a great walk area and a better view.

We did not find the walking area usable. We are in our 40s & in decent shape and found it difficult to keep upright in the high wind on the track.

We did not find the walking area usable. We are in our 40s & in decent shape and found it difficult to keep upright in the high wind on the track.

Of the two weeks I was aboard Royal Princess in December, only one day was so windy it was difficult to stand upright, and that even held true for the promenade deck outside of Crooners and the Retreat. As for the remainder of the 13 days, it was amazing. Sorry it was so bad during your cruise.

Of the two weeks I was aboard Royal Princess in December, only one day was so windy it was difficult to stand upright, and that even held true for the promenade deck outside of Crooners and the Retreat. As for the remainder of the 13 days, it was amazing. Sorry it was so bad during your cruise.

I had the same experience, Dave. Walked every day except for one due to wind. I found it to be a very peaceful area up there. Also, although I did miss a full promenade, there are some lovely, quiet areas to sit on the promenade. I never saw anyone out there. It was a great (quiet) area to write.

Nice review! We on the cruise with you and agree with your comments. We are not walkers anymore so the Promenade Deck thing did not affect us. Also, we were on deck 15 and there were stairs going to 16 so for us it was convenient. The shows, Colors of the World and Extravaganza were brilliant, but as you said, short. The entire cast was magnificent. Our big complaint was the Internet Room. It was too small and on the busiest day, Saturday, the only printer was down all day. Waiting lines were out the door. I asked why they could not route the printer to another printer on board. He said they couldn't do it. That said, Royal is a beautiful ship. Weigh all the reviews you read and then book her. We had 99% positive experiences. We still prefer the Crown, Sapphire, Emerald etc but we are happy we experienced Royal Princess.

Nice review! We on the cruise with you and agree with your comments. We are not walkers anymore so the Promenade Deck thing did not affect us. Also, we were on deck 15 and there were stairs going to 16 so for us it was convenient. The shows, Colors of the World and Extravaganza were brilliant, but as you said, short. The entire cast was magnificent. Our big complaint was the Internet Room. It was too small and on the busiest day, Saturday, the only printer was down all day. Waiting lines were out the door. I asked why they could not route the printer to another printer on board. He said they couldn't do it. That said, Royal is a beautiful ship. Weigh all the reviews you read and then book her. We had 99% positive experiences. We still prefer the Crown, Sapphire, Emerald etc but we are happy we experienced Royal Princess.

Thanks - definitely agree on the internet room and the staff member I dealt with there wasn't great. We also had a wireless package and my husband was never able to access on his (original model) iPad.

Other than the first sea day when the system was significantly overloaded, I had no issues other than normal slowness at sea with my iPhone5. I also didn't try to print boarding passes as I was checking luggage anyway...

---------

Speaking of which, we did "walk off c" and waited in a VERY long cab line, and the four of us were sitting at the gate in FLL at 7:50AM for our 9:53AM flight. I know people don't like to hear that, but it certainly can be done.

Speaking of which, we did "walk off c" and waited in a VERY long cab line, and the four of us were sitting at the gate in FLL at 7:50AM for our 9:53AM flight. I know people don't like to hear that, but it certainly can be done.

Hey what can you say! When it works it works. :D

Thank you for your review!

We are not avid walkers, more like strollers, ;), so enjoyed strolling around the promenade deck on our cruises. It was also a good way to get from one side of the ship to the other. That said, we did discover the nice "promenade" spot outside of Crooners one night, and it was great. And, we were able to look out over the rail into the distance like we used to do before turning in at night. It was also nice to go out to that spot, and the one more aft for a few minutes. As for fresh air, we had a balcony, too, so sat and stood out there at different times.

We were up on the jogging track a couple of times to try the machines positioned up there and see the sports complex activities, and it wasn't that bad for wind up there. This was usually in late morning, so perhaps the wind was up real early. I do know that when being up top to see the ships arriving in port a few times, I had to stand back and get shelter because it was so strong-that was at 5:00AM.

But, I am happy that you had a good time. The Royal Princess is definitely a beautiful ship, with a fine crew. The crews on the Princess ships are one reason why we keep returning to this line.

Lynne