US $ use on QM2 and tipping advise please

tricia1563

While USD seems the best way to tip in cash on Cunard ships, I'm sure over the years there has been some creative tippers.

For those who think cash is crass, or who feels tipping is not within your cultural capacity, you might like to consider the following methods of thanking your steward:

- a kilo of fortune cookies that you've been saving for a dinner party

- $100 worth of chocolate coins saved from Christmases past

- monopoly money from one of the Deck 2 games packs

- clothes that no longer fit you after eating afternoon tea every day in the Queens Room

- a kiss

- the sonnet you wrote on Cunard stationery while relaxing at sea

- your signature on a napkin (for those with delusions of becoming famous)

- leaving all the soaps, shampoos and stateroom moveables in the stateroom to save the steward from having to replace everything on turn-around day

Personally I think cash is easier and a little nicer. I also think writing a little thank you note to go with it is also good form.

Everybody should be rewarded for hard work.

Wow so much great advise, still not sure which way go. I read some people did the auto tipping but then felt obligated to give out more personally on last day as other passengers were doing this. I don't mind the auto tipping but it is going to be $255 x 2 so would be happy with just that. Suppose small tip for room service would be fair. Again thank you all.

I read some people did the auto tipping but then felt obligated to give out more personally on last day as other passengers were doing this.

The easiest way is just to leave the auto tip on. I always do that now and never feel obligated to tip extra on the last day.

I've actually seen some people make a huge song and dance about tipping on the last day, i.e. tipping musicians in front of a crowded bar. I don't know why they did they - maybe to show off ?

So, stick with the auto tip and leave it at that would be my advice.

I've actually seen some people make a huge song and dance about tipping on the last day, i.e. tipping musicians in front of a crowded bar. I don't know why they did they - maybe to show off ?
One time there was a lady at an adjoining table who made a three-act drama (with encore) when it came to tipping on the last night, out came the envelopes, one after another from her handbag, like magician’s rabbits from a top-hat. She presented each to a steward with a speech, more aimed at her fellow passengers at the table (and others around) than to the bewildered crewmember (who seemed keener to get on with their job, than listen to a monologue the length of War and Peace). It was very obvious that she was keen to impress her audience with her largess...
So, stick with the auto tip and leave it at that would be my advice.
And sound advice it is :) .

One time there was a lady at an adjoining table who made a three-act drama (with encore) when it came to tipping on the last night, out came the envelopes, one after another from her handbag, like magician’s rabbits from a top-hat. She presented each to a steward with a speech, more aimed at her fellow passengers at the table (and others around) than to the bewildered crewmember (who seemed keener to get on with their job, than listen to a monologue the length of War and Peace). It was very obvious that she was keen to impress her audience with her largess...

And sound advice it is :) .

At least you were just the audience so it had nothing to do with you. :). We were once at a large table on Celebrity. The maitre d' came by on the last evening "to make sure everything had been okay". One of the men at our table stood up....started yelling very loudly, that if everything wasn't okay it would be rather too late at this point. Went on to tell him that we'd never seen him before, didn't need to see him on the last evening and if he was expecting a tip, he was sadly mistaken. Then he told him to get the hell away from our table. The extremely shy lady next to me started crying.

That was 8 years ago....and I can still relive it as if it were yesterday. :eek:

Re: what currency to use when tipping, the crew now have online accounts, similar to general bank accounts. So it doesn't really matter what currency is used unlike before when the crew would send the actual cash home. Their families now collect their cash from a bank/post office/agent etc.

The US dollar is used on Cunard ships because Carnival Corp. owns majority of the company. Mickey Arison bought Cunard with the intent of building an "ocean liner" to replace the aging QE2. Although I think it is wonderful that a British coin & a French coin were welded into the keel at the Keel Laying Ceremony.

This is also why there is electric outlets aboard for US electrical devices.

The US dollar is used on Cunard ships because Carnival Corp. owns majority of the company.
The US $ was used on board Cunard ships before Carnival came on the scene, so I understand (but from what date, I do not know :o ). Carnival Corp & Plc own the whole of the Cunard Line, not a majority of shares (They first held 68% from April 3rd 1998, and bought the remaining 32% on October 20th 2000). Hope this helps :) . Best wishes. Edited by pepperrn

After reviewing the previous posts,I have decided to leave the auto tips on and allocate the same amount per day to be divided between the cabin staff and the wait persons,in cash at the end of the cruise.I will reserve judgement on the Maitre D and Head Waiter,until I see if they actually do any thing beyond the call of duty.

After reviewing the previous posts,I have decided to leave the auto tips on and allocate the same amount per day to be divided between the cabin staff and the wait persons,in cash at the end of the cruise.I will reserve judgement on the Maitre D and Head Waiter,until I see if they actually do any thing beyond the call of duty.

That's a great thing. I remember last time I (quietly) tipped the wait people (2 I think) and like magic, the Sommelier appeared. As I hadn't exactly used his services I declined to acknowledge his appearance, instead concentrating on collecting my bag.

Edited by Pushka

Criticize me, but I've made a point of never tipping the wine waiter (sommelier sounds so over-qualified) whether or not I tip the waiter/asst. waiter, since there is a service charge on any wine purchases and the $20 corkage is just, please...

That's a great thing. I remember last time I (quietly) tipped the wait people (2 I think) and like magic, the Sommelier appeared. As I hadn't exactly used his services I declined to acknowledge his appearance, instead concentrating on collecting my bag.
Because sommeliers share in the 15% surcharge on the cost of everything they serve, I extra tip our sommelier less than half what I extra tip each member of our wait staff. As far as I'm concerned, the maitre d' is an executive and you don't tip executives.

Because sommeliers share in the 15% surcharge on the cost of everything they serve, I extra tip our sommelier less than half what I extra tip each member of our wait staff. As far as I'm concerned, the maitre d' is an executive and you don't tip executives.

Of course, the sommelier had already received a gratuity for a glass of wine purchase - had forgotten that. :p

As an Australian it is not a custom to pay tips in our country. I have again read lots of advise through forums and don't want to sound stingy, but with the cost I am paying for my balcony cabin, having to tip as well surprises me. I know in the USA waitress's are poorly paid so rely on tips to increase their income. (My sister has lived in the USA for 30years as a part time waitress) Is this the same for QM2 staff? I am going to remove the auto tipping as soon as I board and will tip those staff who I feel truly deserve it. What amount is suggested on the last day? Do you tip the staff if you order room service, again what would staff be expecting?

This comment I am sure will result in some backlash, but please keep in mind that if you live where this is not part of every day life it is difficult to be forth coming.

I also just wondered why $US is used and not £ as the currency, what's the history behind this out of curiosity. I purchased US dollars when it was an excellent exchange rate so shall put this on my account. This saves being charged by my bank a conversion fee if my credit card was used.

Though many cultures don't tip, the ships' staff are rather poorly paid. Taking off the auto tip "cheats"(and I MEAN CHEATS)the staff. So leave it on!! I addtionally tip based on the Berlitz cruise guide's advice(based in England,by the way) as follows...$6 per day for Waiter & Steward. $3 per day to Asst.waiter. This obviously depends on service received. I've never received less than stellar service, mind you.

I have worked many service jobs for the general public. The people who work on those ships earn every penny.

Yes, and they have earned the auto-tip also. I think that Cunard should add the auto-tip to the base fare (provided it goes to the crew, of course) and be done with it. Decent folks receiving exceptional service will reward it with extra gratuities, as they always have.

Yes, and they have earned the auto-tip also. I think that Cunard should add the auto-tip to the base fare (provided it goes to the crew, of course) and be done with it. Decent folks receiving exceptional service will reward it with extra gratuities, as they always have.

That is also my thinking. -S.

I am going to remove the auto tipping as soon as I board and will tip those staff who I feel truly deserve it.

Some opinions conflict on this hardy annual. I suggest you do want you wish and if you feel like tipping do it to the level you can afford. I would ask people to be aware especially those in the US that the fares are much dearer and conditions set in concrete once you book in Australia than else where. It is not a level playing field.

I am going to remove the auto tipping as soon as I board and will tip those staff who I feel truly deserve it.

Some opinions conflict on this hardy annual. I suggest you do want you wish and if you feel like tipping do it to the level you can afford. I would ask people to be aware especially those in the US that the fares are much dearer and conditions set in concrete once you book in Australia than else where. It is not a level playing field.

Very true regarding booking conditions. Since cancelling the non refundable deposit on my upcoming QE cruise in order to gain a balcony stateroom for 1,000 less than what it was going for previously, the same category has been slashed another 1,000.

A little frustrating. For those overseas who often argue 'would you be so quick to send a cheque if Cunard increased fares?' I would say I have no choice. If fares were increased before final payment I would have to pay the higher fare.

So, in Australia you can't get a fare reduction without losing the deposit, but you can be required to pay more if the fares go up before final payment.

Not quite fair if you ask me (yes, that's a little pun).

Still won't put me off tipping though. After all, the crew don't set the prices!

Edited by Austcruiser84

No question that fares vary. For example, my recent QM2 voyage was reduced after final payment to half the fare I paid (and good on those who got the better rate! And good for Cunard because we know that any ship that sails with many unsold cabins won't sail for long!).

No matter what rate passengers paid on that cruise, I'd like to think we all left the Hotel & Dining Charge in place; the crew should not suffer because the playing field is not level.

Please consider the consequences if all passengers removed the H&D charge, and the fact that those who do leave the H&D charge in place are subsidizing those who remove it.

Nonetheless, your suggestion "to do as you wish" is completely valid under the present system. And that is why I believe the auto-tip should be added to all fares, as has been previously suggested. -S.

Edited by Salacia

And that is why I believe the auto-tip should be added to all fares, as has been previously suggested. -S.

I agree also. We wouldn't even notice the difference.....but it would certainly make a huge difference if many started removing the auto tip.

You assume management would actually then use the increased base fare to pay the crew better wages.

I'm not so trusting.

Seabourn has a policy whereby "Tipping is neither required nor expected". Potential crew members know what to expect as their salary when they sign on. If Cunard were to adopt the same policy, wages for crew would be specified rather than the vague hope of gratuities from passengers to supplement low wages.

:cool:As for me being trusting - when it comes to cruise lines, of course I trust them! "Why," you ask? Because the Easter Bunny told me to :D

Edited by Salacia

we leave auto tip on and give 5.00 USD every day to the person who makes up our room. i wonder how many ship workers were told "i will take care of you at the end of the trip" and got stiffed. we also tip [if warranted]people on some shore excursions. i am one of those ugly americans that re guard a tip as a bribe and a thank you.;)

I left the tip charge on the bill. I wanted to reward all of those people who are never seen above stairs. The dishwasher is the most important member of the crew. I never saw them, but I wanted to thank him or her. I also tipped the staff that I came in regular direct contact with an additional gratuity.

Cruise ships are notorious for poor working conditions and low pay. The crew works very hard to give me a nice, safe, and gracious experience. I want to make sure that these extraordinary crew members received a token of my regard for their efforts. I paid twice. You must follow your conscience.