"Cocktail night" on NCL?

icedancer43

We are new to NCL and will be sailing on the Getaway in March. We are looking ahead at what we need to pack. Does NCL have a night where you have to dress in suit and tie and cocktail dresses? The only thing I have found is Norwegian's night out and from what I have read it seems like it is optional to dress up. What have former NCL cruisers experienced?

We are new to NCL and will be sailing on the Getaway in March. We are looking ahead at what we need to pack. Does NCL have a night where you have to dress in suit and tie and cocktail dresses? The only thing I have found is Norwegian's night out and from what I have read it seems like it is optional to dress up. What have former NCL cruisers experienced?

Yes, their elegant night is actually called “Dress-Up or Not Night.” We usually dine in the less formal dining room, and have found that few people in there choose to "dress up."

There is NO MANDATORY dress up night. NCL offers a "Norwegian's Night Out" or a "Dress Up of Not Night". These are optional and the photogs will have the more elegant backgrounds out if you choose to have portraits done. You do not have to pack suits, ties, gowns, cocktail dresses EVER for a Norwegian Cruise Line trip.

Keep the packing simple and you'll be fine :)

The "two for one"martini special at happy hour at the Star Bar has been pre-empted by the LGBT meeting at the Star Bar. So much for inclusion by the ncl home office. Is this a reflection of the staff in miami? Personally, I could care less if those of that persuasion took advantage of the martini special but the ncl decision to exclude "straights" makes me wonder if they really want my business.

The "two for one"martini special at happy hour at the Star Bar has been pre-empted by the LGBT meeting at the Star Bar. So much for inclusion by the ncl home office. Is this a reflection of the staff in miami? Personally, I could care less if those of that persuasion took advantage of the martini special but the ncl decision to exclude "straights" makes me wonder if they really want my business.

Are you sure about this? The last time we sailed the Star - they had the 2 4 1 Martini's early in the evening then the FOD meetings later in the evening. Also - the option to include the GLBT meetings or the Friends of Bill W meetings are up to the cruise director.

Not sure why you are saying one causes the other.

Did you mean to place this posting on the other thread you started on this subject? :confused:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974921

Someone needs to learn to share...

@ icedancer

Culottes/skirts or slacks/khakis with nice tops (her)/collared shirts (him) will take you anywhere on NCL. If you want to dress to the nines and pose for photos, that is an option BUT OPTIONAL is the by-word on Norwegian.

The side of the hull is PAINTED with "Freestyle"!

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/uploads/image/NCL%20Freestyle%20Cruising.jpg

Note that it is too hot and humid in the Caribbean for denim jeans anyway, so don't pack them!

Now you're just being a bigot. If you did a search through these boards, you'd find that most drink specials were cut after the UBP was launched - as already told to you also in the separate thread you started. There is absolutely no need to spread your FUD and bigotry to other threads too.

I am a FoD and just as bummed that the 2-for-1 martinis are now long gone, those were our favourite pre-dinner drinks on Star in 2012.

I called the staff in Miami for you. No, they don't want your business. :mad::p:mad:

No obligatory formal nights on NCL. Dressing up on Norwegian's Night Out is truly optional.

What does this have to do with the OP's question about a formal night??

We ARE planning on dressing up for the one night when it's suggested you can. Does anyone know WHICH night this usually is? We've only been on Royal Caribbean and Princess, and their "formal nights" are usually on one of the "At Sea" days. Is this how NCL does it too? Or is it just random?

We ARE planning on dressing up for the one night when it's suggested you can. Does anyone know WHICH night this usually is? We've only been on Royal Caribbean and Princess, and their "formal nights" are usually on one of the "At Sea" days. Is this how NCL does it too? Or is it just random?

I can't answer your question I'm afraid, but it isn't just this night when it's suggested you can dress up. You can do so any time you like. Why not pick a night when you fancy it, maybe when you think the entertainment looks particularly good, or when you may fancy eating in a speciality restaurant. The timetable is yours.

I like the fact that they have changed the name to Norwegian Night Out, rather than Dress Up or Not, as I think the old title suggested that was the night you could dress up, whereas it's up to you. That's freestyle.

Edited by KeithJenner

Well, earlier in this thread someone said there are photographers on board on this "Night out" or whatever you want to call it. I was just wondering if that's known ahead of time or what. I'd hate to wear my fancy cocktail dress one night, and then have the photographers there the NEXT night! :( The reason this is important to us is we are trying to re-create a picture we had done on a RCL cruise 12 years ago! The fact that I can get back into that dress again is one of the reasons we're even doing this cruise! When I started losing weight over a year ago, I told my husband if I EVER get back in that dress, he owed me a cruise! I did, and he's paying up!! :D

Well, earlier in this thread someone said there are photographers on board on this "Night out" or whatever you want to call it. I was just wondering if that's known ahead of time or what. I'd hate to wear my fancy cocktail dress one night, and then have the photographers there the NEXT night! :( The reason this is important to us is we are trying to re-create a picture we had done on a RCL cruise 12 years ago! The fact that I can get back into that dress again is one of the reasons we're even doing this cruise! When I started losing weight over a year ago, I told my husband if I EVER get back in that dress, he owed me a cruise! I did, and he's paying up!! :D

They do have a specific night, although you can choose to dress up any night. In my three Epic cruises, it's been the second night. When you get to your room, there will be a "week at a glance" piece of paper in your room. Whichever night is "Norwegian Night Out" or "Dress up or Not" night will be listed on this piece of paper.

Congrats on the weight loss

Edited by Chigirlcruzin

There are photographers around all the time, although I believe that the Captain is usually available for a while on Norwegian Night Out.

By the way, I'm not trying to dissuade you from dressing up on that night, just making the point that it isn't the only option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are always photographers available for photos. The difference is that on Norwegians Night Out there are more backgrounds set up in Atrium. But there are always evening photo opps.

@ icedancer

Culottes/skirts or slacks/khakis with nice tops (her)/collared shirts (him) will take you anywhere on NCL. If you want to dress to the nines and pose for photos, that is an option BUT OPTIONAL is the by-word on Norwegian.

The side of the hull is PAINTED with "Freestyle"!

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/uploads/image/NCL%20Freestyle%20Cruising.jpg

Note that it is too hot and humid in the Caribbean for denim jeans anyway, so don't pack them!

Thank you very much for that description. I appreciate it!!

I don't really think NCL cares who you sleep with, one way or another:cool:

PS neither do I