CARIBBEAN PRINCESS Jan 11 2014-Photo and video review

Bimmer09

Here is the video I shot from the bus on the way to Anthony's Key, just to give a flavor of what we saw. Wind noise as always a distraction so Oscar nominations are unlikely to follow.

We were there maybe 4 years ago and did the same tour you did. We too thought it was well worth the money we paid. And we too bought the shots they took of us. A lovely day. The roads look a lot better in your video from when we went. The sides of the roads also look cleaned up from when we were there. It was good to see that.

On our trip to where we could 'play' with the dolphins, we came across some armed men who were traveling along the road and at the entrance of the dolphin compound, to keep us safe. No one really talked to us along the ride and when we were told to get off the bus and move to the museum/changing area, no instruction. Seeing a man with a rifle along the way was very unnerving! So, we too sat in the museum until it was time for our group to be boated over. To get into the boat, it was one very large step down. No one with any sort of physical disability would be able to do this. And on the way back, that one step up was even harder! I did write about all this to Princess afterward. I was very happy to have the armed men, but wasn't happy not knowing what was going on. I hope that you were kept in the loop and things were better for you!

Another thing we learned upon returning home was that because we were in the country, even for a few hours, made us exempt from donating blood for the next year! (Possibility of getting malaria!) So, if this is something that is really important to you, take into consideration your ports when planning your cruise.

Thank you for helping us to relive our wonderful memories of swimming with the dolphins!

We were there maybe 4 years ago and did the same tour you did. We too thought it was well worth the money we paid. And we too bought the shots they took of us. A lovely day. The roads look a lot better in your video from when we went. The sides of the roads also look cleaned up from when we were there. It was good to see that.

On our trip to where we could 'play' with the dolphins, we came across some armed men who were traveling along the road and at the entrance of the dolphin compound, to keep us safe. No one really talked to us along the ride and when we were told to get off the bus and move to the museum/changing area, no instruction. Seeing a man with a rifle along the way was very unnerving! So, we too sat in the museum until it was time for our group to be boated over. To get into the boat, it was one very large step down. No one with any sort of physical disability would be able to do this. And on the way back, that one step up was even harder! I did write about all this to Princess afterward. I was very happy to have the armed men, but wasn't happy not knowing what was going on. I hope that you were kept in the loop and things were better for you!

Another thing we learned upon returning home was that because we were in the country, even for a few hours, made us exempt from donating blood for the next year! (Possibility of getting malaria!) So, if this is something that is really important to you, take into consideration your ports when planning your cruise.

Thank you for helping us to relive our wonderful memories of swimming with the dolphins!

No armed men on this trip and the walk from the bus to the museum was with a guide. They may have lowered the dock since then to as it was easy to get in and out of the small boat. I didn't even see any police in Roatan as we drove along.

Norris

Here's the latest video which I took after going back to the ship for lunch at Trident Grill. We still had maybe 3 hours in port so went to the pretty beach.

Norris, photos to follow

Where were the docks where you were watching for the dolphins after the hike at in reference to ships location? Thanks

I'd say in line with the bow of the ship- i.e really close to the vessel, maybe 8 mins walk from the gangway, towards the beach.

Norris

Thanks very much for your ongoing review , unusual for me to scroll through 9 pages but it is so entertaining its great ! Chair lifts to the beach had me goggle eyed , can't imagine that anywhere here ! We were on the beautiful Diamond in a Penthouse Suite in December , so it is very interesting to see the differences between DP and CP . Thanks again, regards , Buzz :)

Thanks very much for your ongoing review , unusual for me to scroll through 9 pages but it is so entertaining its great ! Chair lifts to the beach had me goggle eyed , can't imagine that anywhere here ! We were on the beautiful Diamond in a Penthouse Suite in December , so it is very interesting to see the differences between DP and CP . Thanks again, regards , Buzz :)

Buzz, thank you. The Diamond is still my favorite ship. We had PH 757 aft.

Still to come, an air boat ride in Belize, submarine in Cozumel, Hector the singing waiter, amazing sunsets, 18 minute video of Born to be Wild show in Princess Theater and 100 s of ship photos. Then Houston.

9 pages are the tip of the iceberg...better eat your Vegemite!

Norris

I still have a couple of beach photos to share but in the meantime here is the chair lift video. It cost us $12 each to head back to the ship this way but it was a nice relaxing ride.

Oh that airboat ride in Belize was the bomb!

I got to ride up top next to the captain and loved every minute of it.

Can't wait to hear about your experience.

Mike:)

I'll show you my experience in video through a wet camcorder lens!

Carol took still photos.

Norris, loving that trip too

CB from the chair lift

IMG_1176.JPG

No shortage of loungers but these are not by the water

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

These are by the water and we easily found two

At the end of the beach are a couple of small private beach areas which I guess are for those who have paid for a Beach excursion. The water there is probably the same as the public area-or maybe it is "special water". Who knows?

There are touches of whimsy along the way on the beach..

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

The aft where we live

IMG_1181.JPG

We got back to the ship by 4.30 and afternoon tea was delivered exactly then.

After that belly-bustin' feast I headed up to Tradewinds for a beer and to watch us sail away from Roatan. Tradewinds starts packing away the drinks around 5 pm which is way too early.

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1184.JPG

I am curious about the dolphin enclosure near Mahogany bay.. can you do an encounter there? We are planning on doing it at Anthony Key, but was wondering why I have never seen the one at Mahogany Bay advertised or talked about??

Hopefully someone armed with facts will chime in...I am guessing that the pens are for training dolphins for a FUTURE attraction. They didn't seem to be entertaining paying customers and one of them (the trainers, not the dolphins) had a pro Camcorder shooting the action as they got them to leap...possibly for training or promotion purposes.

It would be a great place to have a paying attraction-just off the ship with bars and eats nearby.

Norris

I am curious about the dolphin enclosure near Mahogany bay.. can you do an encounter there? We are planning on doing it at Anthony Key, but was wondering why I have never seen the one at Mahogany Bay advertised or talked about??

I was also on this cruise and the one after (B2B). You can do a dolphin encounter there. Hubby and I walked to the left before the entrance where they check you for a cruise card to Mahogany Beach. There's a white building with a sign I believe says Dolphin Isle. You have to pay a fee to get into their facility and watch the dolphins. There's an additional cost for doing an encounter/swim.

I was also on this cruise and the one after (B2B). You can do a dolphin encounter there. Hubby and I walked to the left before the entrance where they check you for a cruise card to Mahogany Beach. There's a white building with a sign I believe says Dolphin Isle. You have to pay a fee to get into their facility and watch the dolphins. There's an additional cost for doing an encounter/swim.

OK- so now we know!

Norris

A typical cruise day...up early to watch the ship dock. Breakfast at Sabatini's. Hop on a bus and ride through tropical foliage. Meet a nice dolphin. Lunch on the ship. Walk to beach, swim, take a chair lift back, have afternoon tea on the balcony, take a nap, dress in clean clothes (thank you ship's laundry) and then stroll out to dinner. What drudgery!

The head waiter scored us another 6 top by the window in the Coral dining room and we were joined by Cindy, Alice and Daniel for Italian Night. We had heard an announcement that the Noro precautions were still in effect and would remain so. Bummer. The magicians we were hoping to see in the Princess Theater-Hawley Magic by name were now cancelled. Bummer # 2.

However, when bummed, there is nothing for it but to order a bottle of wine to be brought to the table and the Malbec showed up and jumped into my glass.

Cockaleekie soup came to me and was despatched swiftly. Then veal scallopini met the same fate...

IMAGE_58.jpg

Carol opted for the Penne Arabiata

IMAGE_59.jpg

For dessert I had to have the Tiramisu which tasted as good as it looks

IMAGE_17.jpg

The company was convivial and animated. We all passed on the offer of Limoncello (in my case the wine was enough alcohol for me) which we usually can't resist. It is now $4.95 a glass (you keep the cool Princess glass) instead of the $4.95 on last year's Ruby cruise.

Our waiter at table was Milos and he was the only one that week that we really wanted to dine with again. From Rumania he was energetic and a grew engaging talker, full of fun and enthusiasm. Our previous waiter's were just doing their job-and doing it well but this Milos had a personality that rose him above their shoulders in our esteem.

Cindy et al had been to the Botanical Gardens followed by folkloric dancing ( something I pass on at every opportunity) then a visit to a Cameo factory where there was some exquisite workmanship. May see that next time. She made some purchases there.

Here's Hector the singing Head Waiter in the Coral Dining Room treating us out of the blue to his love of song. Out waiter Milos is in the frame early on.

Norris