The Truth About Forward Facing Balconies on the Royal Princess

emileg

Thanks for posting this. I have an aft booked for October.. I am now going to torment myself with the decision of whether or not to switch to a forward facing balcony. I am assuming your cruise on the Royal was a Caribbean cruise?

Dana

Dana, yes, we were on a 7-day eastern Caribbean cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale with three days at sea. Remember, though, it can be quite windy on sea days (in our case two out of three) making the forward balcony not very usable. But when you can use it, it is amazing.

We just booked L101 for our 10 day repo cruise in October from N.Y. to Ft. Lauderdale. These terrific pictures sold us! Even if there are times we can't use the balcony, it's a big bright cabin and we love being on Lido deck. Can't wait til October!!

We just booked L101 for our 10 day repo cruise in October from N.Y. to Ft. Lauderdale. These terrific pictures sold us! Even if there are times we can't use the balcony, it's a big bright cabin and we love being on Lido deck. Can't wait til October!!

Good job! I was looking at that and you beat me to it! :D

We will be in L104 for that cruise.

Good job! I was looking at that and you beat me to it! :D

Thanks! When we checked the price this morning we just couldn't resist that big balcony. I was on the phone to Princess very early a.m. L103 is still available as of a few minutes ago and also the 4 on deck 15 also available.

See you in October!

Thanks! When we checked the price this morning we just couldn't resist that big balcony. I was on the phone to Princess very early a.m. L103 is still available as of a few minutes ago and also the 4 on deck 15 also available.

See you in October!

Checking that out....;)

You guys are all beating me to the punch. I am on that repo cruise too and am currently booked in an aft but am going back and forth with the thought of switching to a forward balcony. You all might make my decision WAY easier if you book all the forwards :p

Dana

Taken two weeks ago, here is a photo of Royal Princess taken from the deck of Coral Princess. I am posting it here in the hope it might add to the discussion taking place about the forward balconies. It just offers a view that one seldom sees.

Hope this helps :)

R56copy.jpg

Taken two weeks ago, here is a photo of Royal Princess taken from the deck of Coral Princess. I am posting it here in the hope it might add to the discussion taking place about the forward balconies. It just offers a view that one seldom sees.

R56copy.jpg

Thank you! I must call Princess and insist on NO UPGRADE!

R56copy.jpg

Great picture! I noticed the pools and can't help but wonder how windy they would be on a sea day. :confused:

emileg,

Thanks for your review and pictures. Do you have any pictures of the bathroom and closet and shelves that you can post?

My pleasure. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the bathroom and the closet area. However, the closet is approximately seven feet long. The shelves are floor to ceiling and are quite adequate. The safe is large enough to hold iPads and cameras.

The bathroom sink is very large and there is adequate storage under the sink. The shower is nicely shaped with a curtain rather than a door. The water temperature control is separate from the water volume control. Overall, we were very pleased with the bathrooms and consider them an improvement over those on Grand Class ships, but not quite as nice as those in Celebrity's aqua class cabins.

There has been some discussion about the location of the toilet paper holder with many people complaining it was on the left hand side and awkward for right handed people to reach. In our bathroom, the holder was on the right hand side. Perhaps it depends on which of the mirror images you have. My guess is if the bed is on the right, the toilet paper holder is on the right. If the bed is on the left, perhaps the toilet paper holder is on the left.

I have always loved the aft balconies, but will strongly consider a forward facing one after reading this thread. I haven't seen anyone mention the forwards on the Marina deck. Is there an issue with them? Thanks. :)

I don't suppose there is any issue with the forward facing Marina deck balconies. Except, you may not have as clear a view because you are located just behind and just above the part of the bridge that pokes out.

Aft Balconies/Suites Are Most Sought After Accomodations Aboard Any Ship!Although Rumored That The Royal Has Had Some Problems With Soot,They Are Resolving The Issue And You Can Bet That The Regal Will Not Exibit This Type Of Issue At All!:rolleyes:

As of 1/12 not resolved, in fact look worse. Shame is I didn`t see any attempt to clean he mess.

Rumored that aft balconies had soot problems??? But they're resolving it???? I suggest you ask Ilene, most traveled Princess passenger in North America about her aft balcony last week. It was covered with soot and she just couldn't use it at all. No, it's not a rumor and it has definitely NOT been resolved.

My pleasure. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the bathroom and the closet area. However, the closet is approximately seven feet long. The shelves are floor to ceiling and are quite adequate. The safe is large enough to hold iPads and cameras.

The bathroom sink is very large and there is adequate storage under the sink. The shower is nicely shaped with a curtain rather than a door. The water temperature control is separate from the water volume control. Overall, we were very pleased with the bathrooms and consider them an improvement over those on Grand Class ships, but not quite as nice as those in Celebrity's aqua class cabins.

There has been some discussion about the location of the toilet paper holder with many people complaining it was on the left hand side and awkward for right handed people to reach. In our bathroom, the holder was on the right hand side. Perhaps it depends on which of the mirror images you have. My guess is if the bed is on the right, the toilet paper holder is on the right. If the bed is on the left, perhaps the toilet paper holder is on the left.

Thanks for the information.

Thanks for that forward view of the Royal. With one of those cabins, my hubby and I would feel like we were at the helm. :D

I invited anyone who wanted to from our role call to come to our cabin for sail away. Why don't you come to L103 for sail away on our March 30 cruise out of FLL ?

I noticed you were on the Royal for that sailing back when Dave started his Everything Royal thread. I know you haven't joined our role call but you are very welcome to come to the sail away. johnmik1 is also on that sailing in a forward facing Lido balcony. In fact 3 of us on the role call are in these cabins. At first we were all in a row (L101, 102, and 104) but Princess "upgraded" me and I lost L101 but snagged 103 when I cried on the phone.

I'm also trying to organize a cabin crawl and a meet and greet but only a handful of role callers are showing interest. Our role call is pretty small, just 40 people at my last head count, so I suppose that's a good thing since I've never even been to a meet and greet before much less organized one ! Hopefully my willingness, eagerness and desire to make people happy plus a strong work ethic will carry the event through to success !