Fear of Cruising alone

digger1200

I keep *trying* to cruise solo, but family keeps inviting themselves along. :rolleyes: Personally, I love the idea of a few days to myself to relax completely away from work and all my other responsibilities. I live alone, so you'd think I wouldn't need 'alone time' (evidently that's what my family thinks!) but there's a difference between being alone in your house that needs cleaning/dishes washed/errands run/etc. and being completely responsibility-free and disconnected out in the middle of the ocean.

I'm hoping to get away last minute this fall, maybe drive to Charleston since it's only a few hours from me and try the Fantasy. I can also fly to Florida pretty inexpensively from where I am, so that's another possibility, though that's where my parents live, so if they find out I'm booked on a cruise I'll have company before I know it!

Anyway, I think you should just go for it. You might find that you really enjoy the solitude, and if you want company, ask the maitre 'd to seat you with other singles or a large group. Chances are good you'll end up in the company of some extroverts, and maybe make some new cruising friends.

Thanks to all for sharing your solo cruise stories. I'm making my final payment today for my Oasis of the Seas cruise in early May. Like I've posted in the past this is my first solo cruise. I usually cruise with my DD but with her being in college now it's hard to pin her down for a vacation. :rolleyes:

I used to travel alone a lot for my job when I was younger. Just need to get back into the swing of things. I also live alone when she's not back home. I'm glad that I'm meeting a few friends for this cruise. I'm looking forward to having the big junior suite cabin all to myself and the queen-sized bed. It will break the ice for me to do more solo cruising in the future.

I've met so many wonderful people on CC and on our past cruises too. All the friends I'm meeting for this cruise I met through CC. We just became very close and cannot wait to cruise together. It's all couples and me...lol. But that's ok, maybe there will be more singles on board and they can join us too.

Will definitely stop back after my cruise experience to let you all know how I made out. :D

Edited by Annefran

Janine, in answer to your questions:

How did you make that first step in going solo? I wanted to go on a cruise and none of my friends had any money or were not interested in going. My biggest incentive and encouragement were my mother’s words: “If you wait for other people to do things, you’ll never do it.” Boy was she right. I’ve been on 2 solo cruises and doing my 3rd one tomorrow. Why should I miss out because no one else wants to or can afford to do what I want? I shouldn’t.

Did you have fears of never leaving your cabin/room? I never had any fears of leaving my cabin. One of my favorite spots in the Lido deck where I can have a book and a drink. It also allows others (singles or couples) to sit next to you and start a conversation. The amazement of the entire cabin to yourself and no one else’s room space to consider.

Where did you cruise to? I cruised to Half Moon Cay, Bahamas; St. Thomas (then ferried to St. John's), U.S.V.I.; San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Grand Turks, Turks and Caicos

What ships cater or like having solo travelers? I’ve heard that NCL does, although I’ve never cruised them.

At ports did you stay on the ship or adventure off? One of the main reasons I cruise is to visit the ports, so I would NEVER stay on the ship; I want to see the gorgeous water and land.

How did you pick your excursions? By what interests me. When you cruise solo, the best part is you don’t have to compromise.

How long was your first solo cruise? My first cruise was for 7 days and boy did I have fun and meet a lot of nice people. Benefit of cruising solo: You don’t have to talk to anyone when you don’t want to and when you do, you can go find someone to talk to since most are friendly.

Dinner, I don't even want to go there. That is #1 fear. Eating by yourself in a packed restaurant EEKKK! Help needed on this one. I eat alone a lot, since my children and grown and gone and I had to learn to do this whether I’m on vacation or not. So you can either asked me to at a big table or go alone and enjoy the pleasure of your imagination for either planning the rest of your evening or your next vacation while dining alone.

Desiree

Hello,

I really want to go on a cruise this year in 2014, but don't have anyone to go with. So my questions are this:

How did you make that first step in going solo?

It was a good price on a new build cruise ship on the inaugural transatlantic to New York and I felt more comfortable as even when I would dislike cruising I still had a week vacation in NYC.

Did you have fears of never leaving your cabin/room?

No, I always book inside cabins so there is no reason to stay there any longer than to change, shower and sleep. I never watched a movie in the stateroom as well.

Where did you cruise to?

transatlantics an european itineraries

What ships cater or like having solo travelers?

NCL has what they call studio cabins on the Epic, Breakaway and Getaway and afaik on their Hawaiian ship as well. I have been on the first three but to be honest it is more of a marketing gag, often regular inside guarantees are cheaper even with single supplement and you can always take part in their daily solo traveler meetings they have on all their ships. I never felt treated bad because I was traveling solo on any of the NCL ships as well as on the liberty of the seas. I think especially the staff on NCL is now used to solo travelers and if you don't think about it every second like comparing how the young couple is treated next to you at the bar and if the get more attention than you and all that stuff you will enjoy your time.

At ports did you stay on the ship or adventure off?

As a general rule I leave the ship in all ports. When I have been in the port before and it is hard to do anything on your own I might stay on board.

How did you pick your excursions?

Research before. I prefer ports with a good public transport to go on my own. Otherwise ship excursions when I am worried about coming back on time.

How long was your first solo cruise?

7 days

Dinner, I don't even want to go there. That is #1 fear. Eating by yourself in a packed restaurant EEKKK! Help needed on this one.

I always have dinner in the MDR by myself. Nothing wrong with it. Often the tables are so close together that you can have a quick chat with the neighboring table if both of you wish so. Otherwise the wait staff most of the time is smart enough to recognize if you wish a quick or more slow service. If not just tell them how you would like your dinner.

Edited by micm

I am leaning towards a first solo cruise on Carnival Freedom 8 days in May out of Fort Lauderdale. Since I will be traveling alone the fear in me has prevented me from pushing that book button.

Anyone have tips on getting from Fort Lauderdale airport to the cruise port?

Also once the ship docks back in Florida, getting from the cruise port to the FLL airport?

I have read on cc to get a taxi to and from. Does anyone have pros and cons about this?

But are they plentiful and do I need to worry that I will be standing around waiting for a taxi?

Also, the plane going back home is to fly out at 10:30 a.m. will I have enough time to get to the airport using a taxi or is there masses of people all vying for a taxi?

Thanks,

Janine

I am leaning towards a first solo cruise on Carnival Freedom 8 days in May out of Fort Lauderdale. Since I will be traveling alone the fear in me has prevented me from pushing that book button.

Anyone have tips on getting from Fort Lauderdale airport to the cruise port?

Also once the ship docks back in Florida, getting from the cruise port to the FLL airport?

I have read on cc to get a taxi to and from. Does anyone have pros and cons about this?

But are they plentiful and do I need to worry that I will be standing around waiting for a taxi?

Also, the plane going back home is to fly out at 10:30 a.m. will I have enough time to get to the airport using a taxi or is there masses of people all vying for a taxi?

Thanks,

Janine

Janine....

At baggage claim you can take Carnival's shuttle or you can get a taxi. I believe the shuttle was $35 and a taxi ran about $25 (includes tip).

Disembark early so you can get through quicker and grab a taxi to the airport.

My late wife and I were there last year at the same time month as you are. So hopefully this helps you plan. You'll enjoy the Freedom.

Hi Janine,

My suggestion is that you call Carnival or your travel agent and arrange transfers before you start the cruise. That way, you just "show up" and get taken to the ship. Same with coming home. Let them know what time your flight leaves (say at 10 a.m. instead of 10:30, and they'll tell you when you need to get off.

Make it easy and I can't wait to hear how much you enjoy the cruise.

YOU GO Girl!!!!

Janine nothing to worry about.

I just got back form my first Solo cruise and I would book another one in a heartbeat. Like you I was a little nervous/scared but I know that I like to have fun and was able to make friends fairly fast.

I was on the Triumph last week (Feb 10-15) and maybe part of the thing that made it easier was we had a Fog delay boarding and we were in th eterminal for a couple of hours and I met people from the roll call here and on another site. Once onboard I went to my cabin, dropped my stuff off and went out and found a place to sit and meet people. The first person I met there happened to be one of the gang that I hung out with every night.

I ate dinner in the dining room twice (I would have every night, but one night I did the Chefs Table, Cozumel night I was not hungry after eating/drinking in Cozumel, and the last night time just got away from me. It was uncomfortable at first when I got to th dining room and was at a 10 top bymyself for about 10 minutes, but I had already decided to make the best of it when my other tbale mates showed up (The show ran long.)

I say go for it. I am not sure which lines you are comfortable with but I would not do a solo on a crusie line I have not tried (but one of the ladies on the trip I was on did and said she did not know why she did not try this line befire now.

I had a great time and will do it again.

No fear for me... just did my first solo on the Miracle.... I am 35 and met a bunch of twenty one to twenty five year olds and tried to keep up with them. With so many bars on the ship, you just start talking and you are good to go. Also do Karaoke a good icebreaker. I would also do any time dinning i did fixed late night dinning and didn't have more than two table mates. And only one after the first night. .. granted i didn't show up my self for a few nights either... Went to Nick and Noras and buffet one night... but do it. I had the time of my life! Brad

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I just completed my first solo cruise (also my first cruise), so I thought I should follow up. Partly because I largely disagree with the guy that said not to do NCL. I was on Norwegian Epic, and I liked the freestyle dining.

On the Epic, they have a singles meetup every day at 5 o'clock, then the group goes to dinner at one of the main dining rooms at 6. I only went once (because 6 is way to early for me to eat). After that, I would run into people I met in the group (who also didn't like eating at 6) and would make dinner or entertainment plans with them. I really liked the freestyle dining because I like doing what I want, when I want. You need to know yourself. If you find structure to be comforting, than freestyle cruising is probably not the best choice for you.

My dining experiences:

Day 1) Had lunch in the buffet. I found a couple that had a big table to themselves. I asked if I could join them, they said yes, and we had a nice lunch together. I realized in this meal that sitting with older couples is really good idea if you're shy. Because most of them have cruised dozens of times before and they look forward to sharing their past cruising experience. If they're talking, than I don't have to.

Dinner was during the Superbowl. They had a buffet in Spice H2O (they usually only have snacks there). I found another person sitting alone, and asked if I could join her. She ended up being very outgoing (which makes it easier for me) so we ended up talking and having a great time. She became my Epic BFF, so to speak. If she was shy like me, I probably would have read my book, watched the game, and made small talk. But we both would have been fine.

Day 2) Slept through breakfast, had lunch at the buffet again. Sat with another older couple and had a good time. For dinner I went with the singles group. Afterwards, several of us went to the FABBA party in Spice and had a great time.

Day 3) In port. Had a quick breakfast before leaving the ship. Got back early, had a quick lunch alone, and sat in the hot tub with some couples that have cruised so many times that they don't even leave the ship any more. Again, more stories about past cruises. I left the pool area at about 7, and went to the main dining room. I asked to be seated with other people, and I was seated at a table for 6 - 1 couple and 3 other singles. Ended up going to the Legends show with the other singles.

Day 4) Spent most the day reading and soaking up the sun. I had no interest in talking to people, so I didn't. Just before 6, I went to my room to start thinking about dinner. I ran into 2 guys I met in the singles group and learned they were ditching the group to go to a specialty restaurant. So I broke a record getting dressed and joined them. This was a very fun dinner (at Teppenyaki). The food was worth every penny of the cover charge, but I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't invited by those guys.

Now the days are starting to blend together. I made more plans with people as I ran into them. I had dinner 2 more times in the main dining room. Both times requested to be seated with other people. One time they couldn't do it for some reason, so I ate alone. But the staff was friendly and kept popping up to keep me company.

For most of the cruise, I simply did whatever I felt like doing in the moment. And it worked out well every time. Oh, if you do go on the Epic, be sure to go down the big slide. At least once.

The best tips I have for shy people: If you don't know what to say, just smile. Focus hard on remembering people's names. This should distract you from your nerves quite well. Don't be afraid to admit to other cruisers that you're cruising alone. Most people seemed to respond with admiration. On excursions when people learned I was alone they kind of adopted me, so it wasn't immediately obvious to anybody outside the tour group that I was alone. This made me feel very safe. Most cruisers seem to have the "look out for each other" philosophy towards other cruisers, especially other cruisers who are alone. That doesn't mean you won't run into a bad seed. But the more people you talk to, you're less vulnerable to the bad seeds, because the good ones will have your back.

My toughest cruising-alone-moment was getting into and out of the wet suit at Rio Secreto. The others all had partners to help them with the zippers in back. But the women closest to me helped without hesitation when they realized I was alone. Traveling alone makes others more open to you, so it's actually easier to be social than it would be if you had a friend with you.

I had my first ever cruise last summer, not only my first ever cruise but my first holiday in 10 years. And I did it alone. I was nervous as heck. It's such a massive step to take so can understand your apprehension.

My cruise was the Fire & Ice run by Thomson, it was two weeks and it went to Norway and Iceland. I was in the fortunate position of knowing before hand that they run solo traveller's dinings, so the first morning they set up a breakfast. Aside from this I didn't know what to expect. I was 27 and hadn't been on holiday for so long because I could never stomach going to a foreign city alone, finding my way around, getting lost, dining alone, just being on my own for so long really, which is why I went on a cruise as I figured I'd meet people. And I did.

The first breakfast was really good, everyone there was older than me (by quite a bit I hope they won't mind me saying) but they were all really friendly and nice and took me under their wing. From that morning I made one really good friend (who I'm still in contact with 7 months later) and others who I would spend the evenings with. My excursions I had all pre-booked before going and although none of the solos I met were on most of them you either meet people on them or you're too interested in your surroundings to really think about it.

Like yourself dining was a concern of mine and I'll admit the first night felt rubbish, but that's because I went to the wrong restaurant I reckon. Thomson have a buffet restaurant and a sit-down waiter restaurant. I went to the buffet, which is a lot more informal. The sit-down restaurant you're seated by crew members so you always had others at your table to talk to. After that first night I always ate in the sit-down unless meeting the afore mentioned solos.

I had also talked to some people in the port while we were waiting to board who helped me through the first stages, I saw them on board a fair bit and would always have a chat too.

Ultimately it was a great experience and I'm so glad I ignored my fears and anxieties over going. I met some really nice people, saw some great sights and had a really enjoyable time. So much so that I booked another cruise for myself a week after I got back. I've still got the same fears and anxities building for this one (what if there's not as many solo travellers, what if I don't get on with any, what if what if what if) but I know it's not going to be anywhere near as bad as I imagine.

Anyway, I hope my experience has helped. It's normal and natural to be anxious as it's a really big step and brave thing to do, but don't let the bad thoughts put you off because you'll kick yourself if you don't step up. I think the one bit of advice I would give is to talk to people, you'll either get along and have some friendly faces to see or you won't but since there'll be hundreds of other people on the ship and you'll only be there for a week or two it won't matter!

Edited by OTrail

My answers are as follows:

Just do it. I got fed up with waiting for family to be available for a cruise or financially secure to afford one. Though I can understand that it can be difficult to synchronize a myriad of schedules and that bills need to be paid, but if I waited, i'd stand a better chance of boarding a casket before I would a ship. My motivation to cruise solo can best be described in four words: you only live once. Consider this, YOLO rhymes with SOLO.

No. I prefer to be outside of my cabin, usually at the lido deck.

Where did you cruise to?

Mexican Riviera.

Seems that NCL ships with studio cabins are popular with solos, though I've never cruised with this line. Carnival is running a zero single supplement promotion for cruises from February through May 2014. See the thread started by member Sarah@Sea for the link.

I do try to explore different ports, although I may stay on the ship if I have visited a certain port a number of times. Ensenada comes to mind for me.

I stick with the ship excursions when I am unfamiliar with ports and I want to be assured that the ship will wait for me when the excursion is running late. Otherwise, I will explore familiar ports on my own. Hawaii ports come to mind for me, but that was because I have lived there before and I felt safe going on my own.

7 days aboard the HAL Oosterdam. My longest (solo) cruise was 18 days to Hawaii aboard the HAL Veendam last December.

Dinner, I don't even want to go there. That is #1 fear. Eating by yourself in a packed restaurant EEKKK! Help needed on this one.

I'm not sure if I can help here, but I guess it depends on how social you are or how social you want to be. Eating by myself at the lido doesn't bother me, but I have also shared my table with others. Normally, I am not very social, but I am quite the social butterfly when on a cruise. I prefer a late fixed dining schedule so that I have the same table mates and serving staff. I've had tables with families, group of friends, and other solos, and my experiences have generally been positive. If you opt for a fixed dining schedule, you can check with the maitre 'd if, for example, your table will be occupied with other solos. That's exactly what I did on my recent cruise to Hawaii.

I've been on two cruises, one solo and one with friends, and another solo on the books in a couple of months. Had my first solo cruise a couple of years ago, and taking a solo cruise in April to Eastern Caribbean, and can't wait.

I just jumped and did it. I too either have friends who can't afford it, or have children or spouses that are afraid of it, so it's just me.

No. Actually, I was always exploring the ship, but I'll admit, it was VERY overwhelming the first few days. Spent a lot of time at the casino.

Where did you cruise to?

Western Caribbean

Don't know. I do know that in my experience Carnival is more "active" than other cruise lines. People for the most part are friendly, and if you like to people watch like I do, it's well..very interesting.:D

I always disembark, even just to shop the port shops. I just like to at least stretch my land legs.

I always pick something I can do myself, but never thought of trying. For example the ruins at Tulum (Cozumel stop)were amazing. Coming up I'm planning on taking a land and sea tour of Tortola, zipline in St. Thomas, and hopefully America's cup regatta in St. Maarten. Grand Turk, I'll probably head over to Senor Frogs or something just to walk around a little. With friends I'm more inclined to beach it, because if I go into the water, I know someone will watch my stuff.

5 Days. One coming up in April 8 days.

First, there is always the buffet. Nobody really pays attention because it's a come and go as you are thing. Main dining room, my first cruise I never walked in there because of my fear. This time with two cruises under my belt I'll probably try it, even if I sit by myself.

-------------------------------------------------------------

One thing of note. On the last cruise, I was with a friend who is a singer. He had to go to the karaoke bar almost every night. It was amazing that most nights, the same people were there, and formed a "cruise family". Some were single and some just liked getting away from their families to have a little "me" time. I never sang, but met some really cool people, and those people came up to me all throughout the cruise to see if I was having fun.

Odd as it is, the karaoke bar was the place to meet people. PS - most people who sang were horrible, but they sang like they were rock stars and it always was a fun time. It's definitely a way to break the ice.

With that said, karaoke might not be for you, but look at the activities schedule and find something that interests you, and just go. 9 times out of 10, others doing the same activity might be on the cruise with others, but at the activity by themselves, and people on cruise ships mingle even when they don't in real life. So you will have conversations started in the strangest places.

Nobody I know is as addicted to travel as I am, so I travel solo. I love it.

I agree about hanging out with couples. I've made some great couples friends on cruises that I still keep in touch with.

I also agree about the fact that traveling solo ironically makes you more open to meeting new people. I have had some really great conversations with people that I don't think would have happened had I been with someone else.

But the best advice I have is to join the Roll Call here on Cruise Critic. You will 'meet' people that are going to be on your cruise before you leave home, and you can organize tours together.

I've cruised and traveled solo for 30 years now (though I did travel with a friend for a few years till she got obnoxious and started drinking too much, then her husband told her she couldn't travel anymore). My first trip was similar to the London and Paris story. My ex could never make a decision about anything, so I just went to London by myself one year.

I've been on some fairly long cruises solo, a 24-day transatlantic in 2008, another this summer, and a 22-day SA/Antarctica cruise. I do think that the cruise line and the itinerary make a big difference in the passenger profile. I probably wouldn't be happy on a 3-day party boat, but I tend to choose trips that attract a more mature and informed group.

Oh, and on my SA cruise I met a fellow solo traveler and last week she emailed me about a sale on NCL (I usually go with HAL and she with Crystal). So we're going to the Caribbean in a couple of weeks, but we're each staying in our own cabin, trying out these new studios. I have enjoyed my balconies on HAL, but the 200% fare is discouraging.

It wasn't my first solo holiday, and the first couple of times were scary, and then I got more adventurous and never looked back!! I always wanted to go on a cruise, and now I'm booked on solo cruise number 10 in the summer! Love them and they are perfect for singles in my opinion. I have 2 options, go on holiday on my own or stay at home on my own - that's far more scary and I'd have missed seeing so much of the World.

No, I can usually only afford a single inside cabin, so you need to be out on deck, in the lounges or bars, but that's where all the fun is. Cabins are for sleeping in!

Where did you cruise to?

I started off in the Western Med, but have now been round Greek Islands, The Baltic, Iceland, Norway and Vancouver to LA. Already thinking of trying the Caribbean as cruise #11.

Single supplements and small cabins are a fact of life. Decide what you're prepared to pay for/put up with and anything better is a bonus. I have a single outside cabin next time, but usually the cost of a window would pay for another weekend away. The cost of a balcony is the price of another cruise. There's nothing wrong with most inside cabins either.

Every ship I've been on has something for single travellers (lots of people are single too even if they are travelling with parents, friends etc so not strictly solo). I've been to formal meetings, informal meetings or been sat on the single's table at fixed dining. Now I often don't bother attending as the times usually clash with more exciting events and I always end up taking to someone. Most of the time I find you end up chatting to the couple sat at the table next to you, on the tour bus, in the theatre. "You're very brave travelling alone" is a standard ice breaker!! Most of the time I find I bump into the same people all over. By the end of the holiday you know half the ship!!

The point of a cruise for me is to see the ports. I check online beforehand to see if its a place I'd feel comfortable exploring on my own. If not I book a tour. I always go for the ship's tours, but that's my personal preference.

What are you interested in seeing or doing? I usually go on trips for the big places (Rome, Athens...), explore smaller ports myself, but to mix it up sometimes go on a wine tasting trip, or last year I had a speedboat ride up the Fjords. I always wear a bright top, make sure I recognise a few people, and make myself known to the tour guide - that way they won't forget you!

I did 7 days for the first, in case I didn't like cruising. Its not long enough and now I aim for 10-14 days.

First cruise I stayed in the buffet all week, as its busier and you feel less obvious. On cruise #3 it was fixed dining and suddenly discovered 4 course meals and the wine list - now I only go to the buffet for breakfast or if I'm in a rush, but its main restaurant all the time otherwise. I don't mind a shared table, but am quite happy with a table for one. I take my phone with an ebook on it and my photos to pass the time waiting between courses (if I'm not busy chatting to the couple on the next table!)

Any helpful advice is appreciated. I am shy female not young, not old either. I really want to cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, not Bahamas I've been there. Any tips on a good first solo cruise?

Use the ship's daily news to plan your evening events - you won't be bored, but its nice to have a plan.

Accept the fact that something will go wrong (I missed a trip once) and will ruin your day, put it down to experience, tomorrow will be fine.

Sign up for the Loyalty Programme - you'll need that for your next cruise (I got a great upgrade on my 2nd Celebrity cruise as a Captain's Club member).

The people who notice you on your own are more likely to say "Hi" than point and stare at you :-)

Finally by definition no one knows you, so be who you want to be - I left the shy guy at home a couple of times and he moved out permanently - its a real confidence booster. Enjoy!!

• 2 weeks later...

How did you make that first step in going solo? Found a last minute deal on Celebrity and just booked it (I am a travel agent/cruise specialist)!

Did you have fears of never leaving your cabin/room? No, I am a very outgoing person. . . but even if you are not, I recommend cruising on a line that offers traditional seating dining so that you meet new people your very first night out and you will have them as friends for the rest of the cruise - and get to eat dinner with them every night!

Where did you cruise to? From San Juan round trip to Eastern/Southern Caribbean islands.

What ships cater or like having solo travelers? Any cruise line will enjoy having you aboard. That being said, if the cruise line does not offer "studio" or "single" staterooms, then you will have to pay double the listed price (if it lists $700 per person for a week, that is based on 2 people in the room and even if you are solo, you will pay $1,400). Sometimes the rates are so good that this still works like with my last solo cruise on Carnival. Alternately, Royal Caribbean's new Quantum of the Seas offers single staterooms as do Norwegian's 3 newest ships (Epic, Breakaway, Getaway). Carnival typically has a lot of singles traveling and on my last solo cruise they put me at a table in the evening (traditional seating dining) with all solo travelers and we had a blast! Royal Caribbean also has traditional seating dining, so that would be a good option.

At ports did you stay on the ship or adventure off? When I cruise, I go to relax and unwind and spend time at the spa. Since I have been to many of the ports before, I often do not get off at all. When I do, I either take a ship shore excursion, or stay fairly close to the pier.

How did you pick your excursions? I usually like to try something new, but even if it is not new, I just choose something reasonably priced that piques my interest.

How long was your first solo cruise? One week. The second was 5 days. But I would not hesitate to do a longer one either.

Dinner, I don't even want to go there. That is #1 fear. Eating by yourself in a packed restaurant EEKKK! Help needed on this one. 3 words: TRADITIONAL SEATING DINING. You sign up for a given time and request a large table so you will meet many people and NEVER dine alone for dinner! For breakfast (or even lunch) you can order room service for free or I usually go to the dining room and asked to be seated with other people. As a last resort, you can go to the buffet. . . there are so many people coming and going, and many other people eating in groups or alone that you should not be as intimidated :)

Any helpful advice is appreciated. I am shy female not young, not old either. I really want to cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, not Bahamas I've been there. Any tips on a good first solo cruise? I am 41 and did my first solo cruise about 2 years ago. You can do it. . . just take the plunge!!! You'll be so glad you did :)

Quoting JRose, "Traveling alone makes others more open to you, so it's actually easier to be social than it would be if you had a friend with you".

When you force yourself to take the plunge and get on the ship (congratulating yourself on your bravery), you also open yourself up to meeting new people and being more social than if you had a friend with you. When I travel now I'm much more aware of the people around me than I used to be. And, I like that.

We're all waiting to hear when and where you're going!!!

elaine

I had not cruised for four years after losing my cruise partner and decided I was not going to wait any longer to find another woman to sail with.

None, which is kind of surprising, as I'm a quiet guy.

Where did you cruise to?

Took a seven day western Caribbean on the Freedom of the Seas.

Don't know. Have taken 21 solo cruises, all on Royal Caribbean. Two were 21 day b/b/b cruises and a 13 night transatlantic.

Depens on port and how many times I've been there.

Recommendations from fellow cruisers and internet research.

Seven nights

Initially I started with requesting a large table at early dining. That worked well for about 15 cruises. Then I ended up one night at a ten person table with only two young couples. After saying hello they never said another word to me. I have not been back to the MDR for dinner since that night. I eat at the buffet, Chops, Johnny Rockets, and other locations when on larger ships.

I have been on 25 cruises, have my 26 booked for May. The first 16 were with my bf that I lived with. Since our breakup, I met someone else that I was with for long time and we went on one cruise together. Unfortuneatly, I found he was a liar and had been stringing me along for two and a half years, pretending to be going through a very difficult divorce. So, that ended. I continued cruising with my sweet daughter. After many cruises together, several of her friends joined us. It became what was to be a yearly girls cruise. last year my daughter couldn't go because she was pregnant. So I went with our friends, and a guy that used to work with me.

This year, she is going on her first with her bf and the girls are skipping a year.

So, lo and behold, i will be on my first solo(really need a vacation). This will be my first cruise without having loved ones to share it with. While I know, I can have fun, i am afraid i will be very sad because no loved ones will be with me.

I have had thoughts of cancelling, but people keep telling me to just go ahead and go, and enjoy myself.

I won't be afraid to leave my cabin. I have done it many times by myself because the ones I travel with all sleep in. As far as excursions.. key west.. seems like it will be boring by myself... have been there before with family... it just seems like you should be with someone to have good time there. Cozumel... probably will take a cab to a beach. Been there many times... but never alone. I am not afraid. Just not sure about that feeling of loneliness. Maybe I will hop on the catamaran to Passion Island. I have done Passion Island before, but seemed like it was mostly couples. And I don't want to be the only solo there with all these very happy couples. Won't have to worry about a cab. Can hop on right at the pier.

Dinner?? this one baffles me. I chose early dining... but am considering changing to late. maybe more solos will be on late dining. If I were younger, maybe it would be easier for me... but in my mid fifties... feeling quite nervous. Should I cancel until I feel more comfortable?

Edited by cruzn buckeye

I have been on 25 cruises, have my 26 booked for May. The first 16 were with my bf that I lived with. Since our breakup, I met someone else that I was with for long time and we went on one cruise together. Unfortuneatly, I found he was a liar and had been stringing me along for two and a half years, pretending to be going through a very difficult divorce. So, that ended. I continued cruising with my sweet daughter. After many cruises together, several of her friends joined us. It became what was to be a yearly girls cruise. last year my daughter couldn't go because she was pregnant. So I went with our friends, and a guy that used to work with me.

This year, she is going on her first with her bf and the girls are skipping a year.

So, lo and behold, i will be on my first solo(really need a vacation). This will be my first cruise without having loved ones to share it with. While I know, I can have fun, i am afraid i will be very sad because no loved ones will be with me.

I have had thoughts of cancelling, but people keep telling me to just go ahead and go, and enjoy myself.

I won't be afraid to leave my cabin. I have done it many times by myself because the ones I travel with all sleep in. As far as excursions.. key west.. seems like it will be boring by myself... have been there before with family... it just seems like you should be with someone to have good time there. Cozumel... probably will take a cab to a beach. Been there many times... but never alone. I am not afraid. Just not sure about that feeling of loneliness. Maybe I will hop on the catamaran to Passion Island. I have done Passion Island before, but seemed like it was mostly couples. And I don't want to be the only solo there with all these very happy couples. Won't have to worry about a cab. Can hop on right at the pier.

Dinner?? this one baffles me. I chose early dining... but am considering changing to late. maybe more solos will be on late dining. If I were younger, maybe it would be easier for me... but in my mid fifties... feeling quite nervous. Should I cancel until I feel more comfortable?

I think you should give it a try as you obviously enjoy the cruise experience with all your cruises. Yes, it will be a little different as you are used to travelling with some one, but you may find that there are some pluses to having your own cabin, doing you own thing when and where you want to. I would join the roll call and meet some of your fellow CC members and hopefully you will find some people you can meet and enjoy their company from time to time. All of my cruises have been solo, and I would have the opposite worry. I am so used to spoiling myself I don't know if I could do a cruise with someone else in the cabin, as I like doing my own thing so to speak, but I have never felt lonely or alone on a cruise. Good Luck and Happy Sailing.

Hi, I agree with Neil...Hi Neil:)

I have been crusiing solo for 11 years now so I am in the opposite

situation....I have always done things on my own and sharing a cabin?

I have lived on my own for almost my entire life so sharing a cabin is

not something that even enters my mind. I LOVE having my own space:D

You have sailed before so you know what it is like to be on a ship and

what they offer....activities, etc....I would not delay. I am not sure

if your post sounds like you actually trying to convince yourself if

you will have a good time or not...I would just go for it:) I bet once

you get on board you will realize how relaxing it will be or if you want

to participate in things? You certainly may:D

And I 2nd the roll call suggestion....it can be a fun way to meet other

cruisers!

Sorry about the idiot who lied to you all that time:eek:...hopefully

your future will be brighter than that now!:)

I think you should give it a try as you obviously enjoy the cruise experience with all your cruises. Yes, it will be a little different as you are used to travelling with some one, but you may find that there are some pluses to having your own cabin, doing you own thing when and where you want to. I would join the roll call and meet some of your fellow CC members and hopefully you will find some people you can meet and enjoy their company from time to time. All of my cruises have been solo, and I would have the opposite worry. I am so used to spoiling myself I don't know if I could do a cruise with someone else in the cabin, as I like doing my own thing so to speak, but I have never felt lonely or alone on a cruise. Good Luck and Happy Sailing.

Thank you.