Fear of Cruising alone

digger1200

I was also in fear of going on a cruise solo. I decided to try it, I booked a 13 day cruise last year and meet alot of nice people. I have also booked one for this year on the R/C Exployer of the seas Nov 1. I like to book my own room. I don't like sharing a room with someone I just met. I went to the solo travellers luncheon and met a women to sit with at dinner. We hung out for most of the cruise, it was great.

I was also in fear of going on a cruise solo. I decided to try it, I booked a 13 day cruise last year and meet alot of nice people. I have also booked one for this year on the R/C Exployer of the seas Nov 1. I like to book my own room. I don't like sharing a room with someone I just met. I went to the solo travellers luncheon and met a women to sit with at dinner. We hung out for most of the cruise, it was great.

Did you see the news about Explorer? 600 people sick:eek:

Hello,

I really want to go on a cruise this year in 2014, but don't have anyone to go with. So my questions are this:

How did you make that first step in going solo?

I love to cruise and my friends either couldn't get away or couldn't afford to go as much as I wanted to go. I've traveled by myself on land vacations a lot. I've cruised quite a bit. I decided I'd try a solo cruise to see if I'd like it.

Did you have fears of never leaving your cabin/room?

Not at all. I do like to spend time in my cabin and I usually book a balcony cabin. I like having that space to myself, but I do leave my cabin several times a day. I have to admit that I wasn't sure I wanted to do a solo cruise again after my first one, but I ended up booking another one very quickly. Now, I just love it.

Where did you cruise to?

My first solo cruise was to the Caribbean which I've travelled to many times. Since then I've done other Caribbean, Panama Canal, Hawaii, etc.

What ships cater or like having solo travelers?

I mostly sail on Princess. They don't cater to solo travelers, but they always treat me well. Their loyalty program gives you double cruise credit if you book a solo cabin.

At ports did you stay on the ship or adventure off?

Both. I'm not super adventurous. When I first cruised I went on an excursion at every port. Now I've seen most places and just go off to shop. Sometimes I don't get off at all. Sometimes the cruise ship is my destination. If I went somewhere new I'd try to see some sights.

How did you pick your excursions?

Just look for something interesting.

How long was your first solo cruise?

7 days.

Dinner, I don't even want to go there. That is #1 fear. Eating by yourself in a packed restaurant EEKKK! Help needed on this one.

I'm really OK by myself. The person who said you should start going to restaurants alone is giving good advice. I go out to lunch alone if I feel like going out and no one is free to go with me. On board, I'm not a morning eater and usually just get room service if I want something. I go to the MDR for lunch sometimes and sit with others. People are always welcoming. I don't really like going to the MDR for dinner much because I don't like how long it takes. I love the salad bar in the buffet, so I just take a book and make a salad. Sometimes I try a specialty restaurant and sometimes I have pizza or something quick. I always choose Anytime Dining so I can meet a lot of people if I decide to dine in the MDR. I met a solo traveler on my last cruise who always got a table to himself each night in the MDR. I prefer sitting with others.

Any helpful advice is appreciated. I am shy female not young, not old either. I really want to cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, not Bahamas I've been there. Any tips on a good first solo cruise?

I am shy myself, but I'm really happy with my own company.

Thanks,

Janine

I suggest you try it. People are very friendly. And, like someone else said, I have had met a lot of nice people who couples or friends. I don't limit myself to trying to find other solo cruisers.

Edited by KruzPrincess

I've cruised solo 3 times so far, and will certainly do it again. The first time I was in Tampa on business, and wanted to take a quick vacation while I was there. A 4-night cruise to Cozumel fit the bill nicely.

I wouldn't call myself shy, but I'm not overly gregarious either. I find it pretty easy to talk to people on cruises (solo or group) when I want to, but I'm also comfortable in my own company. I do try not to spend much time in my cabin.

My solo cruises have all been in the Caribbean, and I generally don't bother with excursions anymore, just do my own thing.

MDR dinner is the one aspect I've never really gotten comfortable with. I usually go one or two nights, but I never have much luck with table mates, so I generally go for the buffet instead.

I certainly would recommend going solo. The key is just to relax and have fun, not put pressure on yourself. You're on vacation!

I did my first solo last Halloween. It was just a 4 day, but I couldn't pass up the great price. I go to movies alone and have taken other short trips alone. The best thing for me is getting away, just relaxing and enjoying the view. The water just soothes me. I ate in the MDR most nights, the first night I forgot to eat I was so busy people watching. The costumes were amazing! I had a table each time to myself with ATD, sometimes I would read but the service was so fast I didn't really have that much time. If you enjoy your own company I say go for it. It was also very easy to find a good seat in the theatre and comedy club! Only 1 port, Cozumel, and I had been there 3 times, weather wasn't that great so I just shopped at the port and then returned to the ship. I can't wait to go on another solo! Oh, I'm not that young either, 50.

Digger, thanks so much starting this thread. I'm getting ready to do my first solo cruise later this year in May on Oasis of the Seas.

I'm nervous about going alone but thank goodness I'm meeting a bunch of friends. Which will make my first experience solo cruising a little easier. I've always cruised with my DD but she's in college now and can always go with me.

I'm sure once I tackle this hurdle I'll be ok and will definitely cruise solo in the future! Happy Cruising! :D;)

Annefran~ You are welcome.

I know I can't be the only one that wants to cruise, but solo may be the only option. Hopefully this helps someone, I know it has for me.

I am so glad that I have received the responses from you all. You don't know how much I appreciate it.

Please keep your stories and experiences coming.

I have been "researching" single vacation sites/ solo traveler groups for some cruises that may be coming up this spring/summer time. Hate to say it but I am a little leery on sharing a room with a complete stranger.

Thanks,

Janine

Annefran~ You are welcome.

I know I can't be the only one that wants to cruise, but solo may be the only option. Hopefully this helps someone, I know it has for me.

I am so glad that I have received the responses from you all. You don't know how much I appreciate it.

Please keep your stories and experiences coming.

I have been "researching" single vacation sites/ solo traveler groups for some cruises that may be coming up this spring/summer time. Hate to say it but I am a little leery on sharing a room with a complete stranger.

Thanks,

Janine

Janine, I don't blame you I wouldn't share a cabin with a stranger either. I have a guy friend who actually shared a cabin with a woman he met through on one of those sites. He just went about his business and didn't hang out with her. I thought it was weird but to each his own. :rolleyes:

My best advice is to join a CC thread for the cruise you're going on and start making friends that way. I've met so many wonderful friends that way. These are cruise friends that I'm meeting in May for our cruise. If youi need any other advice, I'm here for you too. Much luck and have a great cruise. Anne

Janine, I don't blame you I wouldn't share a cabin with a stranger either. I have a guy friend who actually shared a cabin with a woman he met through on one of those sites. He just went about his business and didn't hang out with her. I thought it was weird but to each his own. :rolleyes:

Really? How did he get them to put him into a cabin with a woman? I thought those hosted singles cruises only booked you with a same-sex roommate (if you don't pay a single supplement to get your own cabin). Even if they were both cool with sharing a cabin with closely-spaced beds (and made some ground rules, I'm sure), there's still the awkwardness of coming out of the shower in a towel or walking to the bathroom at night in underwear, which doesn't exist with a same-sex roommate. Or maybe neither of them cared.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Really? How did he get them to put him into a cabin with a woman? I thought those hosted singles cruises only booked you with a same-sex roommate (if you don't pay a single supplement to get your own cabin). Even if they were both cool with sharing a cabin with closely-spaced beds (and made some ground rules, I'm sure), there's still the awkwardness of coming out of the shower in a towel or walking to the bathroom at night in underwear, which doesn't exist with a same-sex roommate. Or maybe neither of them cared.

I know I would feel the same way. Not sure how they found each other. I thought he was crazy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

From the way I read it, I thought he met her through a site like that and then they chose to share a cabin on an unrelated cruise, not that the hosted cruise placed them together. I can assume that neither of them cared, either because a) they didn't care or b) one or both was homosexual, so there was no more concern for sexual interest than two heterosexuals of the same sex sharing a cabin.

Hi! I just saw this post and totally agree with you. For the past 4 years I have been a solo traveler and happily met other people who were not solo travelers. Funny, I sort of attracted many mom and daughters on these cruises in different situations that had nothing to do with dining. But I always attended the solos travelers get together on the cruises because you never know. The important thing is not to be afraid of traveling alone because there are so many other people onboard.

From the way I read it, I thought he met her through a site like that and then they chose to share a cabin on an unrelated cruise, not that the hosted cruise placed them together. I can assume that neither of them cared, either because a) they didn't care or b) one or both was homosexual, so there was no more concern for sexual interest than two heterosexuals of the same sex sharing a cabin.

Not sure how they met, online maybe through a CC thread. I think they even shared a hotel room the night before. I know my friend's intensions were to share the cost of the cabin expenses and wasn't interested in a relationship. At first he said the lady was ok with that too but then once they were on board, she tried to change the "rules" (his words not mine). He said it was a short cruise and he just avoided her as much as possible.

I still cannot believe he did it but to each his own. I know I wouldn't do that. I am going to enjoy my cabin all to myself in May ;).

Like I said, I'm lucky that I have some friends on board already but this won't keep me from making new ones (hopefully) too. Meeting people on your CC cruise thread is a great start. At least you will have a few friends/acquaintances to start out with to go to shows or possible share meals too. I have friends all over the country and outside the country that I met on our CC threads.

I know once I go on this cruise in May (solo) and conquer this unknown, I will definitely be booking other cruises in the future. Much luck everyone! Happy Cruising!

Edited by Annefran

Have fun!

Hello,

I really want to go on a cruise this year in 2014, but don't have anyone to go with. So my questions are this:

How did you make that first step in going solo? My roommate forgot his passport, so I really had no warning that I would be alone :(

Did you have fears of never leaving your cabin/room? Kind of. I forced myself to go to every activity in hopes of meeting people. The first day I met some ladies at the singles mixer (I went with the intention of meeting single ladies/ladies cruising alone. Men don't go to these types of events, and there are usually not that many single, straight men on cruises anyway.) The second day I did the Bar Crawl and met another young lady who lived right by me and we hit it off. She was traveling with her family (all couples), so it worked out perfectly. We are still close friends.

Where did you cruise to? Southern Carribean on a 10 day cruise...so the average age is about 107. This past cruise, my roommate bailed at the last minute (work), but I was with 4 other people. It was a 3 day party cruise, and there were a lot more single people/friend groups. Although I didn't do dinner or anything with people I met, I easily could have. I would recommend this type of cruise if you are nervous. Its short, it has a lot of non-couples, and you can't not have a good time.

What ships cater or like having solo travelers? No idea, except NCL has the solo rooms with a solo meeting area on the Epic. That would be a good place to find dining companions b/c they don't have set dining.

At ports did you stay on the ship or adventure off? Def get off. I cruise for activities in port.

How did you pick your excursions? This was the worst part. I had planned some epic private excursions with my friend, but didn't feel safe to travel alone with a guide I found on the internet. I wish I would have know it would go so well, I would have enjoyed the cruise more! You can always plan private stuff, and then ask the guide to let stragglers in port come with you. You can meet some people on the ship, or on the CC boards, you can find other people on your cruise to share an excursion with. Since this happened, I make sure that all of my excursions are ones I am comfortable doing alone or with people I don't know. For things like snorkeling, I bite the bullet and book through the ship or through an external company, so there is a group. Basically, pick things you want to do and figure out a way to do them. Don't just pick something because it is easy.

How long was your first solo cruise? 10 days. Eeek!

Dinner, I don't even want to go there. That is #1 fear. Eating by yourself in a packed restaurant EEKKK! Help needed on this one. I think that eating alone is something everyone should be comfortable with, but then I live alone and travel on business a lot. 1st, as long as you are comfortable with it, other people will be too (or they will be jealous of your independence). 2nd, try it for lunch first, get a table by a window, bring a book, order dessert. 3rd, I have had people offer to let me join them when I say its just me. Go for it, you can always escape at lunch. I have had great random dining companions. I have also had dining companions that were so crazy it made for an entertaining evening AND great stories for later!

Any helpful advice is appreciated. I am shy female not young, not old either. I really want to cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, not Bahamas I've been there. Any tips on a good first solo cruise?

Thanks,

Janine

I have been cruising single for the last 8 years (widowed twice) and the best thing about cruising single is you don't have to wait for the bathroom. Also you can do what you want when you want and with whomever you want. Dinner can be a problem with Freestyle Dining. Sometimes you can be seated with others if you request it. I prefer late night traditional dining. Most of the time the staff will seat you with other singles. After 34 years in the military I become accustomed to eating in Mess Halls. Finally if you meet someone you meet someone if you don't you don't. A cruise is what you make of it.

Originally Posted by digger1200 viewpost.gif

Hello,

I retired from teaching after 35 years and decided to take a cruise to celebrate. I'm unmarried and none of my closer friends were interested.

Just a bit shy at first but after the first exploration of the ship, no problems after that!

Where did you cruise to?

Alaska - 7 days

I haven't found any ships that don't clip solo travelers extra. There could be some cruise companies who do but I'm guessing the cabins are the size of a small closet!

Definitely got off the ship and explored on my own. Solo travelers should do their homework in advance about "safe areas" of ports and not venture into the dodgy areas. If I were to travel to Jamaica again, I wouldn't bother getting off the ship!

Personal interest: historical, culture and sights.

Dinner, I don't even want to go there. That is #1 fear. Eating by yourself in a packed restaurant EEKKK! Help needed on this one.

In all the cruises I've been on (8 in all), I've never been seated alone. I usually request table sizes for at least 6 - 8 people. The buffet areas on the ship are different but eating alone is no problem---sometimes finding a seat can be an issue--especially on "sea days."

I like Bermuda and plan to return there in May 2014. Alaska is also enjoyable. Cruising solo does give a person an opportunity to meet new people--on your own terms! My tablemates on my last cruise to the Caribbean were excellent--friendly, intelligent and good conversationalists. I dined with them each night in the MDR, went on a shore excursion with two of the ladies (I hadn't realized they'd booked the same one!) but that was really the extent of my contact. I don't mind being alone on a cruise as I can arrange to do as I prefer---sleep later in the morning, room service breakfasts, snoozing on the veranda etc. Hope it works out for you!

Hi All,

I found out something great that I didn't know yesterday about cruising solo on RCI. If you cruise alone, you are entitle to double C&A points for that cruise. Example: 4 night cruise is 8 C&A points. If you book a JS or above you get triple the points. (12 in this case). It made my day! :p

My first cruise was in 2005, a Med Cruise for 7 days. It was a last minute decision - booked only 3 weeks before the sailing date. I was worried about the decision I'd made but not from the travelling solo aspect (I was well used to doing that) but about cruising - I was worried it was going to feel claustrophobic and like a holiday camp at sea. I though the ship would feel cramped and I'd get pressured by entertainment team to do stuff I didn't want to do. I could not have been more wrong. Absolutely loved it and now cruise at least twice a year and sometimes 3 or 4 times.

My fear about "what on earth have you done" lasted right up until I got my first glimpse of what I thought was an enormous ship and then when I set foot onboard I was amazed at the beauty of it all.

I did shore excursions on that trip because all the ports were places I had not been to before (hadn't even been to those countries) and was nervous about making it back on time. I now almost never do a shore excursion.

My first solo cruise was on Seabourn in Europe. I flew alone to Nice, stayed by myself in a hotel right on the Med, walked around the area by myself, dined in the best restaurant at the hotel and then boarded the ship. I toured by myself in Monte Carlo, Florence, Cinque Terre, Sicily and Amalfi, just took the ship's shuttle and then did my thing. At the end of the cruise, I stayed in Rome for 4 days and again, toured everything by myself with a private car, but no tour guide. I had a fantastic time.

After that first cruise, I was hooked, and started cruising solo all the time. I'm very lucky that I've now been literally all over the world cruising solo. Yes, there are some things that are daunting (for me, it's going to the shows alone), but dining has not ever been an issue. I just make sure I cruise on lines with traditional dining, where I have table mates that I can get to know.

Whatever you decide, I hope you find a cruise that gives you the thrill of solo cruising.

You've been given so much advice, I'll just add one thing. Don't do NCL or any of the other ships offering only freestyle dining where you'll end up sitting with strange faces every day. When you book, ask for a large table - there'll always be people you like and get on well with. I've done quite a few cruises solo and the first thing I do after boarding once I've been to check out my cabin is to go to the dining room and find out where my table is. There's usually a floor plan near the entrance if the door's closed. Then when dinner time approaches I go to the dining room5/10 minutes early so that I can be the first at my table. That way, when your table companions arrive they (should) introduce themselves to you and that's half the problem solved - going to a table full of strangers the first night. I like to do my own thing during the day but enjoy catching up with familiar people at dinner. I've some lasting friendships that were made at dinner on a cruise. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a great time.

You've been given so much advice, I'll just add one thing. Don't do NCL or any of the other ships offering only freestyle dining where you'll end up sitting with strange faces every day. When you book, ask for a large table - there'll always be people you like and get on well with. I've done quite a few cruises solo and the first thing I do after boarding once I've been to check out my cabin is to go to the dining room and find out where my table is. There's usually a floor plan near the entrance if the door's closed. Then when dinner time approaches I go to the dining room5/10 minutes early so that I can be the first at my table. That way, when your table companions arrive they (should) introduce themselves to you and that's half the problem solved - going to a table full of strangers the first night. I like to do my own thing during the day but enjoy catching up with familiar people at dinner. I've some lasting friendships that were made at dinner on a cruise. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a great time.

Hi:)....I don't disagree with you on the dining suggestion but I just

want to give you a heads up.......there are ALOT of solo cruisers who

want to do the Freestyle dining and they may not agree with your

assessment....just be prepared to get some "less than friendly"

replies.

book your cruise directly with the cruise company!

Are you tired of waiting for others to join you, make a decision about going on vacation? I was....and bit the bullet!

There is so much to do on the cruise...there are lots of activities ALL DAY LONG! They don't want you in your cabin.

Where did you cruise to?

I flew all the way to Barcelona for a cruise out of the Mediterranean. I also took a cruise out of San Diego.

Pick what ship you want to sail on based on the port they are sailing out of, and the itinerary. Ships want/like all travelers.

What is the point of going some place far away IF you are going to stay on the ship? Book excursions with the cruise line. They will make sure that you are pack to the ship on time.

I picked things that I was interested in. I wanted to see the Coliseum, the ruins of Pompeii, tequila making in Mexico...you look thru the list of excursions and see what interests YOU!

How long was your first solo cruise?

Both cruises were for 7 days.

Trust me.....no one is interested in what YOU ARE doing. And if they are...they are a busy body and gossip. When you walk to your table....how does ANYONE know that you are not meeting your guests at the table?

A good tip is look at the itinerary...and decide from there...just do it!

Great post:D....I have also met many couples/families over the years

and am friends with them to this day:)...actually I never go on my

cruises "searching for other solo cruisers"....it is just not important

to me.

I agree with you re not seeking "solo" cruisers. I started solo cruising after my husband passed away in August of 2012. I decided to do a TA with a balcony. I imagined myself sitting on my balcony, reading and looking at the water to recover after my loss. (I use a rollator because of a spinal cord bleed).

I had such a good time and met such wonderful people (singles and couples) that I didn't finish all the books I had downloaded on my kindle, joined a pop choir, took spanish lessons and participated in a book group.

I had late dinner seating and requested a large table so I

could meet people.

I really appreciated travelling alone and doing what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it without coordinating with others.

Cruise Critic roll call was a wonderful tool to set up excursions and meeting places.

For the first time solo cruiser my advice is to keep smiling. People will smile back. (one of the little experiments I did that first cruise).

My next cruise will TA from Harwich to Boston on August 30th. Can't wait!

I agree with you re not seeking "solo" cruisers. I started solo cruising after my husband passed away in August of 2012. I decided to do a TA with a balcony. I imagined myself sitting on my balcony, reading and looking at the water to recover after my loss. (I use a rollator because of a spinal cord bleed).

I had such a good time and met such wonderful people (singles and couples) that I didn't finish all the books I had downloaded on my kindle, joined a pop choir, took spanish lessons and participated in a book group.

I had late dinner seating and requested a large table so I

could meet people.

I really appreciated travelling alone and doing what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it without coordinating with others.

Cruise Critic roll call was a wonderful tool to set up excursions and meeting places.

For the first time solo cruiser my advice is to keep smiling. People will smile back. (one of the little experiments I did that first cruise).

My next cruise will TA from Harwich to Boston on August 30th. Can't wait!

I did the TA from Harwich to Boston solo. I had the time of my life. The roll call set up a lot of independent excursions. I saved a lot of money.