Fear of Cruising alone

digger1200

Hi, I agree with Neil...Hi Neil:)

I have been crusiing solo for 11 years now so I am in the opposite

situation....I have always done things on my own and sharing a cabin?

I have lived on my own for almost my entire life so sharing a cabin is

not something that even enters my mind. I LOVE having my own space:D

You have sailed before so you know what it is like to be on a ship and

what they offer....activities, etc....I would not delay. I am not sure

if your post sounds like you actually trying to convince yourself if

you will have a good time or not...I would just go for it:) I bet once

you get on board you will realize how relaxing it will be or if you want

to participate in things? You certainly may:D

And I 2nd the roll call suggestion....it can be a fun way to meet other

cruisers!

Sorry about the idiot who lied to you all that time:eek:...hopefully

your future will be brighter than that now!:)

thank you Lois... I guess it is different for me, because I have spent most of my life not living alone... have lived alone for about a year now... and cruising alone... well ... gonna try it. Going to try to make it a relaxing cruise. Maybe i will join the roll call... not sure about that yet...

I have been on 25 cruises, have my 26 booked for May. The first 16 were with my bf that I lived with. Since our breakup, I met someone else that I was with for long time and we went on one cruise together. Unfortuneatly, I found he was a liar and had been stringing me along for two and a half years, pretending to be going through a very difficult divorce. So, that ended. I continued cruising with my sweet daughter. After many cruises together, several of her friends joined us. It became what was to be a yearly girls cruise. last year my daughter couldn't go because she was pregnant. So I went with our friends, and a guy that used to work with me.

This year, she is going on her first with her bf and the girls are skipping a year.

So, lo and behold, i will be on my first solo(really need a vacation). This will be my first cruise without having loved ones to share it with. While I know, I can have fun, i am afraid i will be very sad because no loved ones will be with me.

I have had thoughts of cancelling, but people keep telling me to just go ahead and go, and enjoy myself.

I won't be afraid to leave my cabin. I have done it many times by myself because the ones I travel with all sleep in. As far as excursions.. key west.. seems like it will be boring by myself... have been there before with family... it just seems like you should be with someone to have good time there. Cozumel... probably will take a cab to a beach. Been there many times... but never alone. I am not afraid. Just not sure about that feeling of loneliness. Maybe I will hop on the catamaran to Passion Island. I have done Passion Island before, but seemed like it was mostly couples. And I don't want to be the only solo there with all these very happy couples. Won't have to worry about a cab. Can hop on right at the pier.

Dinner?? this one baffles me. I chose early dining... but am considering changing to late. maybe more solos will be on late dining. If I were younger, maybe it would be easier for me... but in my mid fifties... feeling quite nervous. Should I cancel until I feel more comfortable?

Don't cancel. Putting it off will only make it look scarier. And you're gonna have a great time.

Like others have said, you already know what to expect from cruising, so the solo part is just an adjustment.

Once you get over your nerves, you'll probably have MORE fun than you ever did before.

Here are some tips:

Excursions: If you're worried about doing excursions alone, you can try to meet other people on board and invite them to join you. You can also go on cruise line excursions, because then you're pretty much guaranteed you'll be with other cruisers. I went with the cruise line excursions and found that once other people found out I was solo, they kind of adopted me into their group (even if only for that excursion). So I never felt lonely. I noticed cruise line passengers seem to have an unspoken code of watching out for each other when on shore. This is more so when you actually have a conversation with somebody and learn each others' names.

Dinner: You might meet more solos at late dining, and probably a younger crowd. But if you usually prefer early dining than do early dining. The important thing is to do what you naturally do. Others who are like you in whatever way will be drawn to you.

Don't worry about just meeting other solos. You can have just as much fun making friends with couples. The thing about solo travelers is that, once you've done it a few times, you become very accustomed to doing whatever you want. So the solos will be happy to hang out with you, but they are also going to enjoy their freedom above all else. Whereas couples will sympathize more with how you're feeling, because traveling alone probably seems a little scary to them too. Seasoned solo travelers don't feel that fear anymore, and many might not remember it very clearly either.

It sounds like you are not accustomed to the level of freedom you will have while traveling alone. That can be overwhelming. All this freedom, what am I gonna do with it? So, give yourself a mission to take your mind off it. Meet lots of people, and make it a game to remember as many names as you possibly can. You might get to see them again later on the ship, and if you remember their name it will make them like you even more.

As you start to get comfortable you'll find yourself thinking "I want to..." And then you'll realize that there's no reason whatsoever why you can't. That's the turning point.

Don't cancel. Putting it off will only make it look scarier. And you're gonna have a great time.

Like others have said, you already know what to expect from cruising, so the solo part is just an adjustment.

Once you get over your nerves, you'll probably have MORE fun than you ever did before.

Here are some tips:

Excursions: If you're worried about doing excursions alone, you can try to meet other people on board and invite them to join you. You can also go on cruise line excursions, because then you're pretty much guaranteed you'll be with other cruisers. I went with the cruise line excursions and found that once other people found out I was solo, they kind of adopted me into their group (even if only for that excursion). So I never felt lonely. I noticed cruise line passengers seem to have an unspoken code of watching out for each other when on shore. This is more so when you actually have a conversation with somebody and learn each others' names.

Dinner: You might meet more solos at late dining, and probably a younger crowd. But if you usually prefer early dining than do early dining. The important thing is to do what you naturally do. Others who are like you in whatever way will be drawn to you.

Don't worry about just meeting other solos. You can have just as much fun making friends with couples. The thing about solo travelers is that, once you've done it a few times, you become very accustomed to doing whatever you want. So the solos will be happy to hang out with you, but they are also going to enjoy their freedom above all else. Whereas couples will sympathize more with how you're feeling, because traveling alone probably seems a little scary to them too. Seasoned solo travelers don't feel that fear anymore, and many might not remember it very clearly either.

It sounds like you are not accustomed to the level of freedom you will have while traveling alone. That can be overwhelming. All this freedom, what am I gonna do with it? So, give yourself a mission to take your mind off it. Meet lots of people, and make it a game to remember as many names as you possibly can. You might get to see them again later on the ship, and if you remember their name it will make them like you even more.

As you start to get comfortable you'll find yourself thinking "I want to..." And then you'll realize that there's no reason whatsoever why you can't. That's the turning point.

thank you so much... I have actually considered switching my early dining to late.. but do you think if they put me with much younger solos, it will be awkward for them... ?? I don't mind what age group they put me with... just as long as they are a fun group and not looking at me, feeling sorry for me...

You know, when I think about it, years ago, I was on a cruise with my bf and we were sitting on the main floor at a ten top. 3 other couples showed up for dinner so there were two empty seats. At a ten top nearby, there was a fellow sitting all alone. We all decided that we would ask him if he wanted to join us... and he did. He was adopted by our tablemates and was always seen with them having a great time.

thank you so much... I have actually considered switching my early dining to late.. but do you think if they put me with much younger solos, it will be awkward for them... ?? I don't mind what age group they put me with... just as long as they are a fun group and not looking at me, feeling sorry for me...

You know, when I think about it, years ago, I was on a cruise with my bf and we were sitting on the main floor at a ten top. 3 other couples showed up for dinner so there were two empty seats. At a ten top nearby, there was a fellow sitting all alone. We all decided that we would ask him if he wanted to join us... and he did. He was adopted by our tablemates and was always seen with them having a great time.

Sitting with younger passengers won't be awkward at all, for anybody really. I'm 31. On my recent cruise I was definitely aware of being in a minority age-group. But people are fun at all ages. My first meal on the ship was in the buffet where I found a seat with a nice couple in their 60's. I only mentioned the younger crowd in case it meant something to you (I didn't know how old you are). I started my first cruise looking for people my own age because I thought I would have a better chance of making friends that way. That proved to be false (at least for me). Most of the people I met were in their 50's or older.

The important thing is to do what you want. Imagine if you were going with a friend. And the friend didn't know which dining to sign up for, so it's up to you. Which would you choose? That's what you should choose for your solo cruise.

On my cruise there was a singles group that met every day at 5, then went to dinner at 6. Some of us stopped having dinner with the group just because it was too early for us to eat. But I heard later that they still had 20-30 people at every event. And those of us that liked to eat later often ran into each other on the ship and made dinner plans that way. Those ended up being the people that I exchanged emails with at the end. (That was on Norwegian Epic, with the solo cabins and freestyle dining).

Just do what you want to do. You'll meet others that want to do the same thing. If you try to manipulate your plans to meet people and it doesn't quite work, you'll be alone AND doing something you don't really want to be doing.

There was one night when I left the adult-only pool because it was too crowded and went to one of the hot tubs in the family area. I was soon joined by a woman and her daughter who was probably less than 2 years old. I don't think either of them spoke English well. But the daughter was curious and just tall enough that she could walk on the seat with her chest and shoulders out of the water. She would walk right up to me and I would make funny faces or funny noises. She would laugh, run back to her mom, and then come back and wait for me to do something again. We all had fun. That 30 year age difference wasn't awkward at all. :)

When they left, I was joined by two very talkative girls about 9-10 years old. They told me all about the big water slide and how I seriously had to try it - which I did.

He was adopted by our tablemates and was always seen with them having a great time.

Yup, I think that happens quite often. Everybody I met was very accepting.

I think there's something about cruising that brings out the best in most people.

I found it was much easier to make friends on my cruise than it ever is in my real life.

Perhaps it's just the matter of not having any stress to distract you from behaving the way you really want to. Or not having any agendas to get in the way of appreciating people for who they are instead of what they can do for you.

One more point: I never felt like anybody pitied me for being alone. I felt like they were curious to start, and then impressed once I confirmed that I was alone.

Most the times that I was adopted were during excursions. When I left the ship I felt vulnerable because I was alone, and obviously a tourist, therefore an easy target to somebody with bad intentions. That's why I booked my excursions through the cruise line and stayed close to my fellow passengers. They all knew I was alone, but an outsider probably couldn't tell.

On excursions, I was very open to making friends with anybody with good intentions, and I think my fellow passengers picked up on that and stuck with me until we were all back on board.

Some ideas about your excursions:

Key West: I'm guessing this will be your first port day? If it is, then you might not have time to make friends before you go. Maybe book a tour through the cruise line and then you can meet people on the tour. Once it's over, tell them what you want to do and invite them to join you. It'll cost a bit more than it needs to, but you'll have the advantage of being able to find your fellow passengers while you're in port. If you've already been there and know some cool stuff to do, other passengers that have never been there will appreciate having you.

Cozumel: I didn't spend any time in Cozumel. I took the ferry to Playa del Carmen. But I recall there was a beautiful beach right there by the ferry dock. You probably won't need to book a tour to find fellow passengers there. Just pay attention to faces while you're on the boat and if you recognize somebody just ask if you can join them.

I agree with those comments, first of all do whatever you want to do. You tend to find like minded people will be doing the same.

Don't get hung up on the fact you are on your own either. You don't have to only mix with singles. I always end up chatting to couples, and often find they are glad to have someone new to talk to. "What did you do today?" is a great ice breaker and as your day's experience will be different to theirs you always have something to offer to the conversation.

Age doesn't matter either, if you have the right attitude. I'm 43, but have mixed with 20 somethings in the bar and once was seated with two 80 year old ladies at dinner, who were more worried they were too old for me, but entertained me with the stories of their travels and made it a great dinner. Remember everyone has something to offer, including you, and you'll be fine.

From a practical point of view I prefer to dine later, just because I don't want to have to rush back to the ship in port, or drag myself off a sun bed too early at sea. I often skip the singles meetings for the same reason as they are often too early for me - but its a rare day I have no one to talk to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello,

I really want to go on a cruise this year in 2014, but don't have anyone to go with. So my questions are this:

How did you make that first step in going solo?

I have done business trips for years solo so decided to vacation solo about 8 years ago. That experience was so great I realized i enjoyed solo better than with friends! Last year was my first solo cruise and I think for now on - cruising will be my primary way of vacation solo when going outside the US?

Did you have fears of never leaving your cabin/room?

Not at a lll.

Where did you cruise to?

Greek Isles.

What ships cater or like having solo travelers?

I have only done one solo so far - and it was on Royal Caribbean. While they seem to cater to families - I still had a great time.

At ports did you stay on the ship or adventure off?

I either did ship excursions or just walked around whatever shopping there was. Being solo I expect I will stick to the ship excursions as I just feel safer. On my next solo trip though which is a transatlantic, my roll call on cruise critic is very active and we are organizing our own excursion at one of my ports - so I will be giving that a try.

How did you pick your excursions?

I stuck with the ship offered excursions which more than met my needs.

How long was your first solo cruise?

7 days. My next one is 13 nights - which is a transatlantic.

Dinner, I don't even want to go there. That is #1 fear. Eating by yourself in a packed restaurant EEKKK! Help needed on this one.

I did "My time dining". My actual plan was to just eat at the buffets as it is easier being solo. But I heard the main dining room food was excellent so I had to try it. First night had a blast as I was seated with 4 other solos, a mother and son and one couple. The next time in MDR I was seated with 3 couples but really enjoyed that as well. I think my being there actually helped them to all engage in conversation instead of just taking to their significant other. We were all from different countries and I really enjoyed our conversation. The last time I ate in the MDR I was at a table by myself - but I was tired and so was actually happy as I did not have the energy for small talk. What was interesting is as I looked around I saw couples where one was on the phone - reading the entire time! So they might as well have been solo too! I found I enjoyed sitting with others more in the MDR. But if I had brought my Kindle - I would have been fine. In my upcoming transatlantic cruise I have fixed dining so as long as my table mates are not a bunch of downers - I expect I will enjoy that even more!

Any helpful advice is appreciated. I am shy female not young, not old either. I really want to cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, not Bahamas I've been there. Any tips on a good first solo cruise?

Thanks,

Janine

In addition - by nature I am shy. But no-one would ever know it. I was a military brat so learned to talk to people easy. So while shy - I am also very outgoing. I know those seem mutually exclusive. I would say my born personality is shy but my learned nature is to be outgoing. So - you too can learn to engage others in conversation. Don't force it - just say hi. Start with that and let it grow naturally. I find I make great connections on excursions. But little on the ship itself. However, I am completely fine with that as one of my primary goals on vacation is to relax and read.

Hello,

I really want to go on a cruise this year in 2014, but don't have anyone to go with. So my questions are this:

I'm extremely independent so it didn't bother me. I did one great cruise with my BFF but she has since decided she'd rather cruise with her son, and the loose group with whom I went on some other cruises has kind of split up. So off I go alone.

Never.

Where did you cruise to? Caribbean.

At ports did you stay on the ship or adventure off? Off at every port.

How did you pick your excursions? This is where the roll call came in really handy. Mine was very active and they organized non-ship excursions on several islands, which really turned out well. On St. Maarten, I spent most of the day by myself at Maho Beach (the airport beach) and my roll call buddies' excursion boat pulled up and they all started waving at me. Really fun. On St. Kitts, I went on the sugar train excursion booked through the ship (which I think is the only way to book it). On Barbados, I rented a mini-moke and took off by myself. Had a GREAT time and got completely lost because their road signage is...entertaining to say the least. On the way back to the ship I got lost in the roundabouts and stopped to ask a man for directions. He very kindly let me follow his car back to the roundabout nearest the port, from where I could find my own way. He was very reluctant to accept gas money but I gave him some anyway, and zipped off tooting the horn and turning on the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal...which is how a lot of the locals there know who the tourists are! I DID manage to stay on the left side of the road, but the windshield wiper lever is where the turn signal lever is in most American cars...so the wipers got a lot of work!

Eleven nights. I am thinking of doing another one next January.

Dinner, I don't even want to go there. That is #1 fear. Eating by yourself in a packed restaurant EEKKK! Help needed on this one.

I actually don't like the dining rooms, even when I'm cruising with friends. I don't like how long the meals take, and I love to watch the sunsets. So early seating interferes with that and late seating is too late for me. So I generally eat in the buffet, and bring a book. At night it's easy to snag a table on deck and eat al fresco, while watching the sunset and the ocean.

Our roll call DID have some people who met up for dinner, so that would have been an option. And our roll call people often met up for trivia.

Hope that helps!

thank you Lois... I guess it is different for me, because I have spent most of my life not living alone... have lived alone for about a year now... and cruising alone... well ... gonna try it. Going to try to make it a relaxing cruise. Maybe i will join the roll call... not sure about that yet...

I am the same way! I asked a friend to go with me in May, but I am going to book another cruise and go solo! Will be a first for me and hope I like it.

Trixie, I'm not alone by choice-I became a widow at age 45. So my choice is to cruise alone or not at all, and I choose the latter. On my Med cruise and just this past Feb, I was able to connect with folks I've been talking to on CC. Dinner is my biggest fear. When I'm traveling solo solo, I prefer NCL with the studio lounge. There it's easy to find others just like you. I can honestly say I've enjoyed every solo cruise I've taken. Hope you will, too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by mrobstad

I traveled a great deal with my husband, then in " 98 he died, and I realized that if I wished to cruise it would have to be solo.

On my first sortie, I was fine until the night before, then I sat in the livingroom with my cases and cried my eyes out, but I had paid $$$$ so I went. In July I will be going on my 50 solo cruise.

I am 88 , mostly these days I cruise Cunard, I prefer sea days, as I have a walking problem, I love getting into my finery (Cunard is still a line that has formal nights), I sail into the dining room , my head held high ,, just like Maggie Smith in "Downton Abbey".

I choose main seating, the Cunard late show is not until 10.45 so far too late for me. I choose a table of 8 for dinner, and always agree to share for lunch and breakfast,,I meet so many people that way. If I do not like my dinner companions I simply ask for the table to be changed.

I rarely join up with other singles as they are usually too young , I take 14-30 day cruises, for myself anything less is too much work packing and flying. My nxt cruise in July is 22 days, out of New York on QM2, Trans -atlantic , UK, Germany, Norway, back to UK back to New York, then fly home.

I book least expensive inside cabin, as I spend very little time in there, I almost always end up talking to someone either at mid morning snack or meals or before dinner drinks.

Please take the first step, hold your head up high and think like Maggie Smith.

Lynn

• 5 months later...
Hello,

Where did you cruise to?

Any helpful advice is appreciated. I am shy female not young, not old either. I really want to cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, not Bahamas I've been there. Any tips on a good first solo cruise?

Thanks,

Janine

Apologies for resurrecting quite an old thread here but I only joined CC today and this thread has really touched me.

First step? It was back in 2011 (I was 23 at the time) and my parents said it would be something different for me to have a go at! So I did!

Fears leaving the cabin? Not at all :)

First cruise was the med on NCL Epic, picked because as a young woman alone I liked how well it catered to solos.

Which ships cater for solos? Epic, Breakaway and Getaway on NCL all do and I have also been on P&O Azura by myself. Prefer NCL though but that's probably just me :)

At ports? Off pretty much all the time, I've gone to these places so I want to see them! The studio lounge helped me meet about 10 people within an hour of the first solo gathering and we arranged to do a lot together over the course of the week. Though if nervous, pick a ship organised excursion as it gets you back and the ship won't leave you!

How did I pick my excursions? By choosing what I wanted to do, it's my holiday!! Luckily it worked with the people I met on both NCL and P&O so it worked out well.

First solo cruise was 7 nights but I've also done a 13 night one.

Dinner - on NCL the people I met we usually went for a meal together and during the day I would just grab something from the buffet round the pool. On P&O I had a set table at late dining so was with the same people every night. As the youngest by a long way, I was adopted but that was nice as when we got off ship I had people around me and felt safe.

I was booked on on a solo last year but my BF at the time ended up coming and I spent most of my time with him. Sadly we split 4 weeks after we got home so I've booked another solo this year on Breakaway and even though I know I'll be fine, that little part of me still doubts myself.

Nothing would stop me going though - head up, smile and chat to people, you'll get a great response back :)

• 2 months later...

I always travel alone (well 1 or 2 exceptions) and hate that going on cruises alone seems to favour people longing to meet someone or to have single parties etc - in some cases even has a "host" to look after you so you have someone to dance with. (No, sorry, to me, that constitutes cheating, so just no)

Then there are the cruises that start at £150 (one I saw from Singapore, at the time I was coincidentally there) but as you are travelling alone, jump to £400 (that particular one worked out cheaper per night than the hotel I booked but so not the point!!)

What finally got me to cruise solo was Silversea's policy for solo travellers... While I will happily pay double, I refused point blank to pay double and a half... well, Silversea charged less than 25% more. Reasonable enough that I upgraded my cabin and have a good view and a decent location onboard.

Being stuck in a cabin at sea with someone else is horrendous for longer than a few nights (been there, done that, still have the shudders)

So OK...

The step has been there but finally finding a cruise line that did not charge a fortune for going alone made me actually do it.

In no way. There's 24 hour cabin service, all the movies/tv I want and books. Honestly my fears would more be a cruise where you have mandatory meals, where if you do not leave your cabin, you do not eat etc. I am looking forward on this cruise to have at least 1 day where I don't have to go out at all. If I end up wanting to, so be it.

Where did you cruise to?

I shall be going from Argentina to South Africa via the Falklands and Antarctica.

I know that Norwegian and P&O have single occupancy rooms but I have not tried them. Silversea let you have a full room all to yourself for very little (relatively) extra.

Every mini cruise I have done, the last big cruise and the next one are cruises I have picked because of where they are going. I could not imagine paying all that money and not going ashore!!

I wanted to go to Antarctica. I wanted to see South America and Africa as continents before I turned 40. This cruise did all 3. For future cruises I would look at places I want to visit - and if there is a good deal (ie not too expensive for solo travellers) and I have time to do it without just flying from A to B to see what I want to see) I would pick the cruise.

This will be 22 nights/23 days. Looking forward to (total) 5 weeks away! :-)

I know you wrote that ages ago but just wanted to see how other people think about solo cruises and thought I would drop by - you have to start somewhere on a forum, right?! :-)

Thanks to all that have responded. And keeping this thread alive. I appreciate you taking time to tell me how you made the jump.

UPDATE: Well here it is November 10th and I have yet to go on my solo cruise. I came close to booking but some times other parts of your life get in the way: work, relative/relationship concerns, unexpected things happening that you did not plan (gas line breaking and having to pay all of it yourself) well I am still wanting to get away.

So please keep your stories coming. Hopefully in 2015 I can get on a ship and relax for a while.

Janine

Janine good luck in finally booking one. sadly my mom passed way April 7th and with that it tought me a valuable lesson. Don't put for tomorrow what you could do today. I am currently. On a train by myself to do a cruise by myself. Would it be nice.to.have a partner? Yes. But I am not waiting around for one. I need to.live my.life.as you need.to live yours as you see fit. I wish you.luck. I am on.my way to.get on the Carnival Glory and I can't wait. Good luck to you and I hope you finally take one. I waited 15 years, but this is now my 4th this year. Great value and fun

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

I'll be doing my first solo cruise this coming January. I was a little nervous about booking at first since it's out of my comfort zone but after thinking about it, I realized the past several cruises I've taken with my (now ex) boyfriend I did a lot of things alone anyway. Things didn't appeal to him that I found interesting so we went out own ways then met up later on for the mutual interest activities. I ended up eating breakfast in the dining room a few times and browsing the docks alone and found I really liked it.

Sticking with the mentality I enjoyed myself as a solo, I went to Florida twice over the summer alone to prove to myself I could do it and loved it!. No one rushing me, telling me what to do or where to go.

I now feel much more relaxed about things and am looking forward to the experience for sure. I'm a people watcher so if nothing else I can pass the time watching others stress over what to do or where to go. Nothing is better then watching a family or group of people fight over the craziest things while I have my feet up drinking a Bellini, relaxed and happy:D

So I'd say do a little research on the cruise lines, find one that appeals to you, be it the activities, ports of call, price etc and jump in !! Maybe try a shorter trip 3-5 days (that's what I did) in case you end up not liking it. Once you book find your roll call and have fun planning what you will bring :D

Best of luck

Patty

• 1 month later...

How did you make that first step in going solo? I'd cruised with my ex-wife so It wasn't too difficult - clicked a mouse and typed my CC number. As Nike say - Just Do It!

Did you have fears of never leaving your cabin/room? No. A cruise ship is a very social place, there's almost always someone to talk to.

Where did you cruise to? Norwegian Fjords on Ventura.

What ships cater or like having solo travelers? P&O have solo traveller meetings - afternoon tea etc. Princess seems more couples-focused.

At ports did you stay on the ship or adventure off? I stayed on. To me, the ship is the destination.

How long was your first solo cruise? 7 days.

Dinner, I don't even want to go there. That is #1 fear. Eating by yourself in a packed restaurant EEKKK! Help needed on this one. Not an issue as P&O had seated 8 of us solo travellers on the same table at dinner, and lunch is normally at shared tables.

Any helpful advice is appreciated. I am shy female not young, not old either. I really want to cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, not Bahamas I've been there. Any tips on a good first solo cruise? A book or magazine is a good thing to carry - you can always sit quietly and read. The Eastern Caribbean seems more secure - I wouldn't go ashore in Jamaica on my own, but St Thomas, St Marten, Grand Turk etc all seem very safe - and the ship calls in daylight not at night anyway. I've also cruised solo on MSC and Costa - but as there are many nationalities on board it's a lot harder to get into a conversation (unless you know many languages!)

Edited by lake5298

Ive booked two cruises for 2015 and Im travelling alone. Im really excited about it and truth be told you're never really alone on a cruise unless you want to be. I like people but I also like my own company. Im happy to be able to pick and chose if I want to be around others or not.

Am I scared? No. Not of anything cruise wise, its the perfect holiday for people travelling alone.

Just do it!!!!

Edited by ThePriceO'Mince

Thanks to all that have responded. And keeping this thread alive. I appreciate you taking time to tell me how you made the jump.

UPDATE: Well here it is November 10th and I have yet to go on my solo cruise. I came close to booking but some times other parts of your life get in the way: work, relative/relationship concerns, unexpected things happening that you did not plan (gas line breaking and having to pay all of it yourself) well I am still wanting to get away.

So please keep your stories coming. Hopefully in 2015 I can get on a ship and relax for a while.

Janine

Well I'm back from my first solo cruise. It was a last minute 5-day trip over the Christmas holiday. I had a fantastic time ! ship was beautiful, it was warm and sunny, and there was lots to do.

I had talked with a woman on my roll call before leaving and met her and her 2 daughters on board the first night. We also met a great group of people-some couples and others solo or family- in the piano bar and ran into each other elsewhere on the ship. It was nice to see a familiar face once in a while to chat or eat with, but it was also nice to be able to do my own thing without any pressure to make someone else happy. I'm pretty introverted as well, but I found it was never an issue, and all my preconceived notions about being solo were wrong. The biggest one- NO ONE is looking at/judging you. People are so busy with themselves they don't have time to think about you.

So if you haven't booked a trip yet, jump in and do it. Pick a shorter trip to start, just in case sailing solo isn't for you, and then enjoy the planning that comes with it.

I have two more trips booked for 2015 and can hardly wait to go..

Good luck

Patty:D

Well I'm back from my first solo cruise. It was a last minute 5-day trip over the Christmas holiday. I had a fantastic time ! ship was beautiful, it was warm and sunny, and there was lots to do.

I had talked with a woman on my roll call before leaving and met her and her 2 daughters on board the first night. We also met a great group of people-some couples and others solo or family- in the piano bar and ran into each other elsewhere on the ship. It was nice to see a familiar face once in a while to chat or eat with, but it was also nice to be able to do my own thing without any pressure to make someone else happy. I'm pretty introverted as well, but I found it was never an issue, and all my preconceived notions about being solo were wrong. The biggest one- NO ONE is looking at/judging you. People are so busy with themselves they don't have time to think about you.

So if you haven't booked a trip yet, jump in and do it. Pick a shorter trip to start, just in case sailing solo isn't for you, and then enjoy the planning that comes with it.

Good luck

Another solo success story! Good for you Patty.

Good luck

To Patty:

Glad you had a good time on your first solo cruise. You seem to have liked it. Do you mind sharing what cruise line you went on?

The other planned trips where to and how long are you going for? I have been researching and the cost for a single person in my opinion is high. When is a good time to book? I would love to go in May, seems before kids are out of school and spring break has passed.

Any thoughts???

Thanks,

Janine

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Janine - I know your post was from almost a year ago, but I wanted to give you my experience. I went on my first cruise in 2000, aboard Carnival Ecstacy (she's still cruising, lol) - as a solo cruiser. I had such a pleasant time that I went on four more cruises, all solo, through 2004 (one on Carnival Triumph, two with Holland America.) I enjoyed them all. I think on all of them I encountered delightful people, who thought it was perfectly awesome that I was cruising solo. On one occassion, I was able to be the paddle-partner in an ocean-kayak of a woman whose husband was golfing that day. Another time, I was able to be the paddle-partner of a young airline stewardess who was cruising with her parents. I must say I think she was becoming smitten with me up until she discovered that I was 14 years her senior! :-) lol. Fun while it lasted. :-)

I will close this by admitting this though: I really do not want to cruise solo again. It's not that the previous times were bad, but I just don't feel as bold and brave as I used to. I suppose people go through phases in their lives, and at this stage I want a cruise partner for my next cruise. Good luck. Edit - I'm not suggesting I want to share a room! It's the time outside the room that I want a partner for.

Edited by PNWSon
Re-wording

I got off the Jewel last week - 1st solo cruise and loved it! I've travelled solo before but never on a cruise - had been on 9 previous cruises but took my elderly parents. To say I was scared is a huge understatement. When I got on board and was waiting for my cabin to be ready I must admit I got very teary eyed. Watching couples, families and groups all coming on laughing together and add the fact that I missed my late parents horribly - I wanted to run off the ship. BUT, that changed so quickly. I had traditional dining and my table mates were wonderful - yes I was the only solo! Met people at life boat drilled and ended up on 2 excursions with them and at mystery dinner theatre. We had a great time. One of the couples at my table was on one of excursions and I was invited to sit with them at the show. Just sitting my the pool I was always talking to someone. I really thought people would find out I was traveling solo and think something was wrong with me. The exact opposite happened - they told me how brave that was and good for me. I also found that I was responsible for making myself have a good time - no one else but me. I just booked my next solo for November on Oasis of the Seas which is a much much bigger ship.

Go for it - you deserve to have a good time!!!!!

I got off the Jewel last week - 1st solo cruise and loved it! I've travelled solo before but never on a cruise - had been on 9 previous cruises but took my elderly parents. To say I was scared is a huge understatement. When I got on board and was waiting for my cabin to be ready I must admit I got very teary eyed. Watching couples, families and groups all coming on laughing together and add the fact that I missed my late parents horribly - I wanted to run off the ship. BUT, that changed so quickly. I had traditional dining and my table mates were wonderful - yes I was the only solo! Met people at life boat drilled and ended up on 2 excursions with them and at mystery dinner theatre. We had a great time. One of the couples at my table was on one of excursions and I was invited to sit with them at the show. Just sitting my the pool I was always talking to someone. I really thought people would find out I was traveling solo and think something was wrong with me. The exact opposite happened - they told me how brave that was and good for me. I also found that I was responsible for making myself have a good time - no one else but me. I just booked my next solo for November on Oasis of the Seas which is a much much bigger ship.

Go for it - you deserve to have a good time!!!!!

Welcome back and glad you had such a good cruise:)

After 12 years of cruising solo I have learned alot of things.....

Those "brave" comments.....that always happens. Most people

don't mean it negatively but sometimes it comes out that way.

I don't look it as brave at all....I don't have anyone to cruise with

and staying home is not an option:D......I love cruising too much.

So I go on my own;)

And there is definitely nothing wrong with you:).......personally,

I think there are just so many people out there who don't like to

do anything on their own....sounds like that is their issue.......:rolleyes:

You posted something totally spot on......it is your responsibility for

having a good time:)....always!.....I am going to Alaska in May

(solo of course)......can't wait to get back on a ship!

I have travelled solo for years on business and for the last 5 years for pleasure

I tried land based vacations but like the convenience and security of the cruise

I went on my first solo cruise (epic med) in July 2013 and have another booked for July 2015

My husband and I usually cruise in January to the carribean but he cannot fly so I am alone if I want to see more of the world

We just returned from our yearly warm weather cruise and I had a few insights

On my solo cruise I joined the solo group for dinner or ate in the buffet cause I felt funny eating solo at dinner in mdr

This time I noted lots of solos eating solo at breakfast lunch and dinner in mdr

As luck would have it my husband did not feel well for a good part of the cruise and I ventured to the mdr alone

Good experience

It was relaxed and I did not feel out of place at all

I will certainly try that again in July if I am too tired after excursions to meet the solo group

Anyway just thought I would share

Also met a few solos on deck and had fun chatting

Go and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums