Carnival Live

lablover61

I have this vision of the stampede that will ensue once the doors open as ticket holders scamper towards the UNRESERVED seats. Or maybe even better, passengers bringing sleeping bags on board so they can stake out "their place in line" right after breakfast that morning. That vision includes those calm interactions between guests as they challenge each other over "those seats are taken" responses. Or finally the relaxed manner in which a ticket holder tells Carnival staff that "there is no way in hell they are going to sit behind that pillar. I paid the same price that everyone else did and expect to be able to see the stage". The concept of paying for entertainment adds a whole new dynamic to enjoying performances on the ship. Or maybe I am just being unrealistic. Only problem is, I doubt it.

I have been to a lot of concerts . Back in the day most of the time the GA tix were for the floor and people would line up a day early. It was a CF to get in. The first few rows people pushing and shoving trying to get closer to the stage.

I don't know how the cruiseline will control the pax wanting the best seats behind row 3

I have been to a lot of concerts . Back in the day most of the time the GA tix were for the floor and people would line up a day early. It was a CF to get in. The first few rows people pushing and shoving trying to get closer to the stage.

I don't know how the cruiseline will control the pax wanting the best seats behind row 3

They will definitely need some sort of plan. People have become less polite in recent years. There will be people waiting for long periods of time to be first inside either for their own seats or to reserve seats too. Then there is the other option which would tick me off if I got a good seat (by getting in early) and then be told to move over to make room for late comers. They quite often do this at Disney.

I think it's also a great way for them to attract people who might not cruise otherwise. Lots of ships already host theme cruises that feature musical artists, and generally the folks who go on them aren't cruisers (or at least not avid ones). The Carnival Live prices, even for VIP, are much lower than what you'd pay for just a concert ticket (with no meet and greet privileges) on land. Granted, passengers on these sailings also have to pay the cruise fare, but they get a concert and a vacation out of it. :)

We shall see but so far only adding on three ships and looks like they might well taking away professional entertainment for those who choose not to see the concert.

This will probably attract new cruisers who dont know the trends that have been going on here.

I have this vision of the stampede that will ensue once the doors open as ticket holders scamper towards the UNRESERVED seats. Or maybe even better, passengers bringing sleeping bags on board so they can stake out "their place in line" right after breakfast that morning. That vision includes those calm interactions between guests as they challenge each other over "those seats are taken" responses. Or finally the relaxed manner in which a ticket holder tells Carnival staff that "there is no way in hell they are going to sit behind that pillar. I paid the same price that everyone else did and expect to be able to see the stage". The concept of paying for entertainment adds a whole new dynamic to enjoying performances on the ship. Or maybe I am just being unrealistic. Only problem is, I doubt it.

But your open minded and ready to not form an opinion until we see how it goes, that's what is important.:cool:

We shall see but so far only adding on three ships and looks like they might well taking away professional entertainment for those who choose not to see the concert.

This will probably attract new cruisers who dont know the trends that have been going on here.

3 ships?

They will definitely need some sort of plan. People have become less polite in recent years. There will be people waiting for long periods of time to be first inside either for their own seats or to reserve seats too. Then there is the other option which would tick me off if I got a good seat (by getting in early) and then be told to move over to make room for late comers. They quite often do this at Disney.

Since cruisers will be 'paying' for a seat, I expect to see even more rudeness with the saving of seats.

There is nothing worse than going to the show and walk down the row, where there are a lot of empty seats and someone say I have those saved.

Also with the way Carnival has banquette seating and not regular folding seat, I see a lot of people trying to squeeze in family and friends that show up late

Edited by jonbgd

I think it's also a great way for them to attract people who might not cruise otherwise.

We went out to dinner with some friends last night who've never cruised. One of them asked us if we would be interested in going to see Lady Antebellum locally, which obviously prompted me to bring up Carnival Live. I told them all about it, including the lineup of bands and singers and they got so excited that they almost had a spontaneous "O" right there at the table. They now want to cruise BAD, specifically on one of these Carnival Live cruises. The night ended with me giving them my PVP's name and extension.

I know that there are a lot of people out there who want to see the negative in this new entertainment option, but I personally believe that it's one of the best and most innovative things that Carnival has come up with in a very long time. I REALLY hate to use this word, but I think that Carnival Live is.....BRILLIANT! :eek:

Edited by Tapi

They aren't taking away professional entertainment from non-concert going cruisers, at least on the Fantasy. We did a five day in November where they repeated a Playlist show one night and considered the Quest style scavenger hunt quality evening entertainment another. The Fantasy class ships can apparently only hold the props and equipment for 2 Playlist shows at a time.

I don't love the idea of paying additional fees for entertainment, but it would've been nice to have the option instead of seeing Motown for the fifth time in six months.

I think it's also a great way for them to attract people who might not cruise otherwise. Lots of ships already host theme cruises that feature musical artists, and generally the folks who go on them aren't cruisers (or at least not avid ones). The Carnival Live prices, even for VIP, are much lower than what you'd pay for just a concert ticket (with no meet and greet privileges) on land. Granted, passengers on these sailings also have to pay the cruise fare, but they get a concert and a vacation out of it. :)

Personally, I don't know if I'd book a cruise based on one person/group performing one show. I also wonder if there are guarantees and / or back up plans.

I might make up my mind should I book a cruise and a specific performer is on it, and it is certainly easier to send a kid to a "concert" not worrying about other things.

However, the current list contains no one I would be interested in paying to see, or haven't already seen in their heyday with their original members.

I do wonder if there will be a TCKTS booth on show day for any unsold tickets. The Carnival fans should love that.

Seating has never been a problem on the full charter Jazz theme cruises...there are really no "bad seats" in the room when it comes to the shows and hearing the music...artists will often go out into the audience and come to the upper level to play....they perform multiple times and in muliple venues on the ship during the week so you have ample opportunity to interact

I don't think the issue will be anywhere as bad as some on this board seem to think before they have experienced it onboard...if you look at Carnival's demographics on any given sailing more then half would not be interested in who is performing anyway

Plus everyone knows at a music concert, the worse seats in the house are in the first few rows because the music goes over your head

You should never pass judgement until you experience it

Seating has never been a problem on the full charter Jazz theme cruises...there are really no "bad seats" in the room when it comes to the shows and hearing the music...artists will often go out into the audience and come to the upper level to play....they perform multiple times and in muliple venues on the ship during the week so you have ample opportunity to interact

I don't think the issue will be anywhere as bad as some on this board seem to think before they have experienced it onboard...if you look at Carnival's demographics on any given sailing more then half would not be interested in who is performing anyway

Plus everyone knows at a music concert, the worse seats in the house are in the first few rows because the music goes over your head

You should never pass judgement until you experience it

Excellent post. Some of the nay Sayers will post negative remarks no matter if they got the Beatles back together.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

First, Lablover... If you haven't run off screaming yet, congrats on booking your cruise and I hope that you have a great time and enjoy the show!

Second, here's the way I look at it...

My wife would love to see Daughtry. If I took her to see him in Chicago (if he's even coming here) I would pay at least twice as much for the tickets, plus transportation, etc. And... I would still be in Chicago. Now, I can take her to see Daughtry and be on a cruise and not in Chicago in December.

First, Lablover... If you haven't run off screaming yet, congrats on booking your cruise and I hope that you have a great time and enjoy the show!

Second, here's the way I look at it...

My wife would love to see Daughtry. If I took her to see him in Chicago (if he's even coming here) I would pay at least twice as much for the tickets, plus transportation, etc. And... I would still be in Chicago. Now, I can take her to see Daughtry and be on a cruise and not in Chicago in December.

True, again it's all about adding different types of entertainment options.

We went out to dinner with some friends last night who've never cruised. One of them asked us if we would be interested in going to see Lady Antebellum locally, which obviously prompted me to bring up Carnival Live. I told them all about it, including the lineup of bands and singers and they got so excited that they almost had a spontaneous "O" right there at the table. They now want to cruise BAD, specifically on one of these Carnival Live cruises. The night ended with me giving them my PVP's name and extension.

I know that there are a lot of people out there who want to see the negative in this new entertainment option, but I personally believe that it's one of the best and most innovative things that Carnival has come up with in a very long time. I REALLY hate to use this word, but I think that Carnival Live is.....BRILLIANT! :eek:

I don't know about brilliant but it is a very good and innovative idea. Totally don't understand many of the negative commentary. And I think had any other line come up with the idea first, it would be applauded and Carnival ridiculed for not thinking of it themselves. That they are also improving other facets of the entertainment makes it all moves in the right direction. But if people want to gripe and complain, they'll do it no matter what. I hope its successful and that it will include more variety as it evolves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

But your open minded and ready to not form an opinion until we see how it goes, that's what is important.:cool:

In fact I am open minded. With that said I see no way that the concept of paid unreserved seating is workable. Knowing human nature as I am sure you do, this concept I am afraid is fraught with pitfalls. This will most likely end up being a free for all as aggressive humans fight for position! Also I am not sure in another post if you or someone else mentioned there are no bad seats in these theaters. I must disagree. There are plenty of bad seats only made worse by the, "hey I paid for this" mentality.

In fact I am open minded. With that said I see no way that the concept of paid unreserved seating is workable. Knowing human nature as I am sure you do, this concept I am afraid is fraught with pitfalls. This will most likely end up being a free for all as aggressive humans fight for position! Also I am not sure in another post if you or someone else mentioned there are no bad seats in these theaters. I must disagree. There are plenty of bad seats only made worse by the, "hey I paid for this" mentality.

Your right I can see you have kept an open mind....... Maybe not. You might want to read the posts of people who did charters and found similar seating arrangements worked just fine. Your faith in your fellow man is an awe inspiring thing. I will take the high road on this one and will wait and see. These things can easily be handled without resorting to the type of actions you describe.

Edited by jimbo5544

They will learn fast. We put on local theatre as well as recitals, and have a problem even with those where we have open seating. Designated seating is a bit more work up front, but it moves the seating frenzy prior to the event and off site.

On a ship, I imagine the queuing like debarkation, starting hours before the event for those that like the artist and want a seat with a view.

Your right I can see you have kept an open mind....... Maybe not. You might want to read the posts of people who did charters and found similar seating arrangements worked just fine. Your faith in your fellow man is an awe inspiring thing. I will take the high road on this one and will wait and see. These things can easily be handled without resorting to the type of actions you describe.

I would keep an open mind but just like you have been around to see all of the "brilliant changes" and they have all pretty much cutbacks in things designed as changes.

Playlist productions were announced as brilliant changes to entertainment and almost everyone thing they suck. Now an evenings entertainment on some ship is watching others go on stage and play Hasbro games.

When we see real improvements will believe it. Last real improvement was about two years ago when they added the comedy clubs.

I totally agree and that is my complaint with it

The concerts are from 9 to 1030. They are in the main theatre, I doubt they will change there normal scheduled entertainment and not cancel it. This is extra!! Plus the additional time in port is Probably my favorite thing!! Were on vacation and WE all know how much things cost on a cruise ship. Personally I have NO problem spending a few extra $ to enhance my experience. Not everybody gets to go We are the lucky ones. The thought of laying on a beach in the Caribbean with no RUSH factor to get back to the ship, then see a great concert sounds great to me!!! Good job Carnival!!! I had already booked my cruise prior to the "live show" announcement. This just made it BETTER!!!!!

Just my opinion.............Brian

The concerts are from 9 to 1030. They are in the main theatre, I doubt they will change there normal scheduled entertainment and not cancel it. This is extra!! Plus the additional time in port is Probably my favorite thing!! Were on vacation and WE all know how much things cost on a cruise ship. Personally I have NO problem spending a few extra $ to enhance my experience. Not everybody gets to go We are the lucky ones. The thought of laying on a beach in the Caribbean with no RUSH factor to get back to the ship, then see a great concert sounds great to me!!! Good job Carnival!!! I had already booked my cruise prior to the "live show" announcement. This just made it BETTER!!!!!

Just my opinion.............Brian

That would be a conflict. The early shows usually started at 8:30 in the show lounge, and would run about an hour. Now it looks like it would be preemtped, leaving those on board with no show option.

I would keep an open mind but just like you have been around to see all of the "brilliant changes" and they have all pretty much cutbacks in things designed as changes.

Playlist productions were announced as brilliant changes to entertainment and almost everyone thing they suck. Now an evenings entertainment on some ship is watching others go on stage and play Hasbro games.

When we see real improvements will believe it. Last real improvement was about two years ago when they added the comedy clubs.

I won't argue with you on playlist productions. But that being said, I think that they have added several improvements this being one of the them. Along with this, they have added better entertainment to eight ships and more to follow. They have added Seuss (while you and I might not like it, it is an improvement), menu changes and one of the best things in a while fttf.

That would be a conflict. The early shows usually started at 8:30 in the show lounge, and would run about an hour. Now it looks like it would be preemtped, leaving those on board with no show option.

Has it been determined that a show will be cancelled and replaced on the same night????

I won't argue with you on playlist productions. But that being said, I think that they have added several improvements this being one of the them. Along with this, they have added better entertainment to eight ships and more to follow. They have added Seuss (while you and I might not like it, it is an improvement), menu changes and one of the best things in a while fttf.

For the better entertainment think you mean the bands like the one on the Dream. That group has been on the Dream for several years and perhaps from when it first sailed so not sure that really qualifies as improvement.

On the Liberty in Oct they had a good Phillipino band (guessing one of the eight) but for some dumb reason placed them on the promenade next to casino so way too noisy to hear them play. Foolish as they had a nice lounge sitting empty most nightswhich would have been perfect for them to play in.

Dr Suess is something new for a targeted audience.

FTTF is rather a sore point for me after they told us they would improve platinum and instead took away stuff and than allowed people to buy the perks.

On the Glory next week and hopefully we will like the new menu and will give playlist and hasbro a try.

For the better entertainment think you mean the bands like the one on the Dream. That group has been on the Dream for several years and perhaps from when it first sailed so not sure that really qualifies as improvement.

On the Liberty in Oct they had a good Phillipino band (guessing one of the eight) but for some dumb reason placed them on the promenade next to casino so way too noisy to hear them play. Foolish as they had a nice lounge sitting empty most nightswhich would have been perfect for them to play in.

Dr Suess is something new for a targeted audience.

FTTF is rather a sore point for me after they told us they would improve platinum and instead took away stuff and than allowed people to buy the perks.

On the Glory next week and hopefully we will like the new menu and will give playlist and hasbro a try.

I actually thought the hasbro stuff was a joke, playlist was ok, but we preferred the old style. I know your thoughts on fttf, but overall an improvement to the cruising experience. Your thoughts about Suess being a targeted audience are obviously true. Does not impact either you or me. But it's another option. I really think they will try to continue down that vein. More options, some entertainment based to try and give the cruising public a more broad reason to sail Carnival.

On the naming ceremony (we did not stay for the cruise), the cover band was much more rock oriented. I thought it was an interesting change. Like you we enjoyed the Philippine cover bands.