Russian Visas -- cheapest/best sources?

unpartymom

Your best way is to hire a private guide who will take care of this of this for you .There are many listed on these boards ,we used Den-Rus and they did a great job.

The OP is doing a river cruise within Russia. A private guide isn't going to be able to help in this situation, as I understand it. This isn't a couple day visit from a cruise ship at St Petersburg.

Our experience with two trips on the MS Rus (through Gate1 and then Express2Russia) was that we HAD to use a service, and it cost in the neighborhood of $600 for the two of us on the most recent one.

Prior Cruises

1995 Marco Polo, Cape Town to Buenos Aires

2000? Statendam, San Diego to Hawaii and back

June 2009 Statendam, Vancouver to Seward, Alaska

June 2011 MS Russ, St.Peterburg to Moscow

Sept/Oct 2012 MS Russ, Astrakhan to Moscow

Dec 2013 Norwegian Star, Panama Canal & Mexican Riviera

There really isn't any bargaining for visas. The individual countries set the prices. I use a visa service because I don't live near any embassies, but if you live in a major city, you can do the legwork yourself, but believe me, that's a huge hassle. And, being on a river cruise, you definitely need individual visas. If you were on a regular cruise, you could get away with being part of the ship's blanket visas or the visas handled by a government approved tour company. But you don't have that luxury on a river cruise.

Your best way is to hire a private guide who will take care of this of this for you .There are many listed on these boards ,we used Den-Rus and they did a great job.

They need real visas as they are flying into Russia.

I used a service as I don't live near an embassy or consulate. I suggest you use one if you are not near an embassy. It went like clockwork.

Getting a Russian Visa on your own is somewhat of a minefield which is why most folks are willing to pay the extra money to use a reputable Visa Service. You can try to obtain it on your own from the appropriate Russian Consulate...but it "ain't easy."

Hank

Getting a Russian Visa on your own is somewhat of a minefield which is why most folks are willing to pay the extra money to use a reputable Visa Service. You can try to obtain it on your own from the appropriate Russian Consulate...but it "ain't easy."

Hank

Hi Hank,

Yep, I've heard much the same thing from plenty of sources. Folk whose applications are returned, often several times, because of mistakes or missing paperwork.

For the vast vast majority of countries visa applications are so simple that agencies are a waste of money. :rolleyes:

But there's exceptions.

And Russia is one.

JB :)