Test before boarding ship

unc1acc

This is not a brand specific question, even though we've all seen the news recently but I started wondering...Is there some way at check-in, they could swab your mouth and test for Norovirus? You don't board unless you get a negative test? I'd gladly pay an extra few bucks to be assured folks weren't lying when they sign the waiver saying they haven't been sick or been around people who were in the last 48 hours. I mean, they have it for many other medical conditions.

Just a question, no need to put someone on blast and how this would be a rights infringement or be linked to some government spying agency.

When signing in, you are given a piece of paper with questions asking if you've been ill recently. I don't remember all the questions, but the answer is always "NO!" No way in "H" would I give up my DNA just to board the ship. There's no way for them to test anything. What if they wanted to test for STD, how would you feel about that? Wash your hands and keep your fingers out of your mouth. I see people licking their fingers all the time when eating. That's how you get sick.

Denying people entry based on their health...that sounds like a PR nightmare, as well as a huge financial drain for cruise companies. How could they guarantee the accuracy? And how could the test give instant results?

This is not a brand specific question, even though we've all seen the news recently but I started wondering...Is there some way at check-in, they could swab your mouth and test for Norovirus? You don't board unless you get a negative test? I'd gladly pay an extra few bucks to be assured folks weren't lying when they sign the waiver saying they haven't been sick or been around people who were in the last 48 hours. I mean, they have it for many other medical conditions.

Just a question, no need to put someone on blast and how this would be a rights infringement or be linked to some government spying agency.

Are they going to do that after you get back on the ship at every port? What if someone picked it up in port and took it on the ship and even though you are tested before getting on the next cruise it may be on there from someone from the previous cruise.

As someone else mentioned, just be vigilant about hand washing and touching certain things.

I was on a Princess cruise a few years back that was canceled after 5 days. After the first night on the ship which we didn't get to leave port until about 9 or 10pm it went downhill from there very quickly.

Bill

When signing in, you are given a piece of paper with questions asking if you've been ill recently. I don't remember all the questions, but the answer is always "NO!" No way in "H" would I give up my DNA just to board the ship. There's no way for them to test anything. What if they wanted to test for STD, how would you feel about that? Wash your hands and keep your fingers out of your mouth. I see people licking their fingers all the time when eating. That's how you get sick.

A STD? Really? Last time I checked, you couldn't get one from touching a hand rail, serving utensil, etc.

This is not a brand specific question, even though we've all seen the news recently but I started wondering...Is there some way at check-in, they could swab your mouth and test for Norovirus?

No.

Well, not with any reasonably useful amount of accuracy - there would be many (>75%) false negatives. Typically, stool samples are the detection method of choice, though rectal swabs have a better accuracy than oral (cheek/gum) swabs)

And that doesn't even get into the difference between colonization and infection.

Goodness that would be both expensive and time consuming.

Contrary to what the media will have us believe, the majority of cruises are not infested with Noro.

Cruise lines would be better off using extra funds or resources to provide hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, and Kleenex in each cabin.

Edited by Lerin

Plain soap and water is the best for keeping hands clean. You will keep your hands free of noro virus with frequent soap and water washing than with any of the hand sanitizers. Be sure to get a good lather and rub your fingers hand with friction for as long as it takes to sing Happy Birthday. Shut the faucets, after washing, with a paper towel or a few tissues. Don't touch what likely is a dirty faucet or door handle when leaving the rest room.

I do recall come to think of it that some air line/s were experimenting with a heat detector, and if a passenger showed signs of high heat they were pulled to one side to be checked.

No, i don't know how it worked, or even if it is still being done.

john

reminds me of many years ago while getting a physical from Uncle Sam to be sure I was draft material when we were told everyone put your toes on the line, bend over and spread cheeks.

btw, the NSA probably knows if you have been sick the days preceding a cruise maybe check the passenger list with them.

Plain soap and water is the best for keeping hands clean. You will keep your hands free of noro virus with frequent soap and water washing than with any of the hand sanitizers. Be sure to get a good lather and rub your fingers hand with friction for as long as it takes to sing Happy Birthday. Shut the faucets, after washing, with a paper towel or a few tissues. Don't touch what likely is a dirty faucet or door handle when leaving the rest room.

What Sail said. It doesn't have to be super anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti everything soap. Just standard soap works just fine. All those other things may actually be damaging our immune systems, some studies are starting to indicate.

reminds me of many years ago while getting a physical from Uncle Sam to be sure I was draft material when we were told everyone put your toes on the line, bend over and spread cheeks.

btw, the NSA probably knows if you have been sick the days preceding a cruise maybe check the passenger list with them.

Remember that well.

What Sail said. It doesn't have to be super anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti everything soap. Just standard soap works just fine. All those other things may actually be damaging our immune systems, some studies are starting to indicate.

I've never been a fan of the anti-bacterial soaps and see no need for them. Plain soap is preferable IMO.

All the antibiotic resistant bacteria we are hearing about these days possibly are at least a little a result of the huge dependence many have on antibacterial soaps and cleansers.

That wouldn't be a DNA test, it'd be a noro test...geesh..you give up your DNA every time you open door or drink from a cup...but they don't have such a noro test. I'd be more than willing to take one if they did.