Drink Kefir before and during the cruise

travelplus

In the weeks before my cruise I drink Kefir as the Probiotics help to boost my immune system. I wonder if Royal Caribbean and other cruiselines could serve the delicious Kefir onboard during breakfast and people would drink the Kefir it could help prevent against the Norovirus. People drink Kefir for Colitis and other GI issues such as IBS.

Perhaps Kefir could be the "Anti Noro Natural Cure".

Note this quote from WebMD -

"

Likely Ineffective for:

Lowering serum cholesterol. Research shows that taking kefir has little or no effect on cholesterol levels.

Insufficient Evidence for:

Diarrhea associated with taking antibiotics. Some research shows that a specific kefir-containing drink (Probugs, Lifeway Foods, Inc.) does not reduce diarrhea in children caused by antibiotics.

Lactose intolerance.

Improving digestion.

Other conditions.

More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of kefir for these uses."

Can you cite any peer reviewed scientific studies that prove prove that Kefir is good for anything besides the fact that it is an untested folk remedy. I guess that best that can be said for the stuff is that it probably does not hurt you you although you should check out these references to be sure -

"References:

Agerbaek M, Gerdes LU, Richelsen B. Hypocholesterolaemic effect of a new fermented milk product in healthy middle-aged men. Eur J Clin Nutr 1995;49:346-52.

Alm L. Effect of fermentation on lactose, glucose, and galactose content in milk and suitability of fermented milk products for lactose intolerant individuals. J Dairy Sci 1982;65:346-52.

De Vrese M, Keller B, Barth CA. Enhancement of intestinal hydrolysis of lactose by microbial beta-galactosidase (EC 3.2.1.23) of kefir. Br J Nutr 1992;67:67-75.

Marquina D, Santos A, Corpas I, et al. Dietary influence of kefir on microbial activities in the mouse bowel. Lett Appl Microbiol 2002;35:136-40.

Merenstein DJ, Foster J, D'Amico F. A randomized clinical trial measuring the influence of kefir on antibiotic-associated diarrhea. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2009;163:750-4.

Murofushi M, Mizuguchi J, Aibara K, Matuhasi T. Immunopotentiative effect of polysaccharide from kefir grain, KGF-C, administered orally in mice. Immunopharmacology 1986;12:29-35.

Murofushi M, Shiomi M, Aibara K. Effect of orally administered polysaccharide from kefir grain on delayed-type hypersensitivity and tumor growth in mice. Jpn J Med Sci Biol 1983;36:49-53.

Richelsen B, Kristensen K, Pedersen SB. Long-term (6 months) effect of a new fermented milk product on the level of plasma lipoproteins--a placebo-controlled and double blind study (abstract). Eur J Clin Nutr 1996;50:811-5.

Rimada PS, Abraham AG. Polysaccharide production by kefir grains during whey fermentation. J Dairy Res 2001;68:653-61.

Schaafsma G, Meuling WJ, van Dokkum W, Bouley C. Effects of a milk product, fermented by Lactobacillus acidophilus and with fructo-oligosaccharides added, on blood lipids in male volunteers. Eur J Clin Nutr 1998;52:436-40.

Shiomi M, Sasaki K, Murofushi M, Aibara K. Antitumor activity in mice of orally administered polysaccharide from Kefir grain. Jpn J Med Sci Biol 1982;35:75-80.

Simova E, Beshkova D, Angelov A, et al. Lactic acid bacteria and yeasts in kefir grains and kefir made from them. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 2002;28:1-6.

St-Onge MP, Farnworth ER, Savard T, et al. Kefir consumption does not alter plasma lipid levels or cholesterol fractional synthesis rates relative to milk in hyperlipidemic men: a randomized controlled trial [iSRCTN10820810]. BMC Complement Altern Med 2002;2:1.

Thoreux K, Schmucker DL. Kefir milk enhances intestinal immunity in young but "

I believe in science, not folk medicine.

DON

Note this quote from WebMD -

"

Likely Ineffective for:

Lowering serum cholesterol. Research shows that taking kefir has little or no effect on cholesterol levels.

Insufficient Evidence for:

Diarrhea associated with taking antibiotics. Some research shows that a specific kefir-containing drink (Probugs, Lifeway Foods, Inc.) does not reduce diarrhea in children caused by antibiotics.

Lactose intolerance.

Improving digestion.

Other conditions.

More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of kefir for these uses."

Can you cite any peer reviewed scientific studies that prove prove that Kefir is good for anything besides the fact that it is an untested folk remedy. I guess that best that can be said for the stuff is that it probably does not hurt you you although you should check out these references to be sure -

"References:

Agerbaek M, Gerdes LU, Richelsen B. Hypocholesterolaemic effect of a new fermented milk product in healthy middle-aged men. Eur J Clin Nutr 1995;49:346-52.

Alm L. Effect of fermentation on lactose, glucose, and galactose content in milk and suitability of fermented milk products for lactose intolerant individuals. J Dairy Sci 1982;65:346-52.

De Vrese M, Keller B, Barth CA. Enhancement of intestinal hydrolysis of lactose by microbial beta-galactosidase (EC 3.2.1.23) of kefir. Br J Nutr 1992;67:67-75.

Marquina D, Santos A, Corpas I, et al. Dietary influence of kefir on microbial activities in the mouse bowel. Lett Appl Microbiol 2002;35:136-40.

Merenstein DJ, Foster J, D'Amico F. A randomized clinical trial measuring the influence of kefir on antibiotic-associated diarrhea. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2009;163:750-4.

Murofushi M, Mizuguchi J, Aibara K, Matuhasi T. Immunopotentiative effect of polysaccharide from kefir grain, KGF-C, administered orally in mice. Immunopharmacology 1986;12:29-35.

Murofushi M, Shiomi M, Aibara K. Effect of orally administered polysaccharide from kefir grain on delayed-type hypersensitivity and tumor growth in mice. Jpn J Med Sci Biol 1983;36:49-53.

Richelsen B, Kristensen K, Pedersen SB. Long-term (6 months) effect of a new fermented milk product on the level of plasma lipoproteins--a placebo-controlled and double blind study (abstract). Eur J Clin Nutr 1996;50:811-5.

Rimada PS, Abraham AG. Polysaccharide production by kefir grains during whey fermentation. J Dairy Res 2001;68:653-61.

Schaafsma G, Meuling WJ, van Dokkum W, Bouley C. Effects of a milk product, fermented by Lactobacillus acidophilus and with fructo-oligosaccharides added, on blood lipids in male volunteers. Eur J Clin Nutr 1998;52:436-40.

Shiomi M, Sasaki K, Murofushi M, Aibara K. Antitumor activity in mice of orally administered polysaccharide from Kefir grain. Jpn J Med Sci Biol 1982;35:75-80.

Simova E, Beshkova D, Angelov A, et al. Lactic acid bacteria and yeasts in kefir grains and kefir made from them. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 2002;28:1-6.

St-Onge MP, Farnworth ER, Savard T, et al. Kefir consumption does not alter plasma lipid levels or cholesterol fractional synthesis rates relative to milk in hyperlipidemic men: a randomized controlled trial [iSRCTN10820810]. BMC Complement Altern Med 2002;2:1.

Thoreux K, Schmucker DL. Kefir milk enhances intestinal immunity in young but "

I believe in science, not folk medicine.

DON

Ahahahaha, you have far too much time on your hands. I'm jealous.

I am not a health food nut and actually LIKE kefir. You can find it in most grocery stores near the milk & yogurt. I liken it to drinking yogurt that is simply in liquid form. I've had the strawberry and the blueberry. This has definitely replaced yogurt for me as it's an easier snack on the go: I don't need a spoon and am not eating -- just drinking.

Stress does horrible things to a person's immune system. Anything that can reduce stress will help your immune system (which can fight viruses).

Whether something is a guarantee medical tested thing, a placebo or s "little help" it can reduce how stressed you are about the thought of getting sick. And that alone will be a boost to your immune system.

So if it works for you - terrific.

But if the cruise lines tried to serve EVERYTHING that has made ANYONE feel healthier they would have no room for us passengers.

I'll take it one step past tasting like buttermilk....it tastes more like really tart, really sour buttermilk. Having said that I regularly drink it post workout and it works like a charm. Loads of healthy probiotics, protein, relatively low carb, calcium, magnesium and B-vitamins.

The only way you'll be able to get the masses to consume it though is if you load it with sugar and salt, bread and deep fry it, and then smother in cheese.

And then wrap it in bacon.

I believe a lot of people like drinking kefir, particularly the flavored types that are very similar to smoothies. I have drank it daily for some time now and I do believe it helps improve both your digestion and your immune system function. It's more popular than some of you might think and more people who learn about it adding it to their diet. Yogurt would be a second choice, but kefir is much better.

I have never heard of Kefir and definitely won't be trying it.

Will someone please pass the Vodka bottle around?

My theory has always been to make my body a place where viruses can not possibly survive. Vodka usually does the trick. Perhaps followed by a hot tub to mess with the body temperature too. Just kidding, but it should work as well as any other voodoo.

I started taking probiotics (not Kefir though) prior to a recent trip to India. It was my hope that it would help ward off traveler's diarrhea. I was also very careful about only drinking bottled water, was careful about what and where I ate, and washed my hands frequently.

Did the probiotics help? Who knows? :D

However, they do seem to help my digestion so I'm going to continue taking them.