Debit cards in ports?

GMayberry

We are headed to Nassau and Freeport on Feb 21 and I am wondering about shopping in ports. We aren't doing the touristy straw market, and arent doing the excursions. We are booking snorkling through a private company, Senor Frogs, rum distillary, etc etc. I am wondering if debit cards are accepted at these places, or should we plan to bring cash or what?

I took cash, just to be safe. I did notify my credit union ahead of time that I might be using my card in the Bahamas so that I had that option, but I only used it once at Atlantis for a locker. Everything else was cash. We shopped at some stores and eateries and they had no problems with taking cash.

I had some cash in Nassau but also used my debit card - for lunch and for a bottle of rum at the rum factory. I did notify my bank ahead of time I would be traveling to the Bahamas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by mamajules

Very good point about the debit card!! We only have one credit card and it sits in the safe at home with a $0 balance on it, so it might be a good idea to get it out and make sure it isn't expired. ;)

As stated before just be sure you notify the credit card company where you will be with your card each day. That way if strange charges show up after you leave port they will be aware.

Have a great cruise!!!!!!

credit card maybe but never with a debit card. Credit can be cleaned up easier but with debit they can drain your account and you may not be able to recoupe that money.

Exactly!!! I work at a credit union and tell my members all the time to only use credit cards or purchase a prepaid visa when traveling because if someone were to steal your info then you could only be responsible for up to $50!!!

Cash only. I may use a debit card at Señor Frogs, and maybe at one of the well known jewelers or cosmetic places, but that's about it, and truly, it's doubtful I'd use it there.

Please DON"T use them at Senor Frogs. Others have had issues with unauthorized transactions after using card at Senor Frogs.

You're going to get a lot of different opinions. We only use credit cards not only b/c of the cash back, but b/c we're not going to be responsible for fraud.

I went w/ a friend on the Dream a few years ago and she had a debit card which she only used once, and only on board to pay her S&S account. Unfortunately, she ended up getting all kinds of charges originating from foreign countries, the money flew out of her bank account and she incurred a lot of NSF charges which she then ended up having to go through the trouble of getting her bank to remove the charges & put the money back into her acct. Big PIA she said.

I am a fan of traveler's checks which our bank down the street supplies for free. I take them to the Guest Services on board and they just give me the cash. Easy. Don't really care if they're not fashionable. They work well for us. Eventually they will no longer be available, but we'll use them until then.

Just Bring CASH! I can't imagine you would have to bring that much cash with you anyway......souvenirs that you can get in Nassau are literally the same ones that Bahama Breeze sells in their gift shop area , that is no joke!! And not a lot of great eateries in Nassau either! The Fish Fry maybe and they are pretty inexpensive. Our private tour was only $25.00 pp and we paid cash for it plus a tip! If you go to an all inclusive for the day then you only need money for the taxi ride there and back!