Shanghai hotel to Airport

C-breeze

Does anyone know the cost from the hotel area in Shanghai to the airport? Also if my flight leaves at 5:10 p.m. what time should I leave the hotel? Would 2:00 be enough time?

Are there taxi's at the cruise terminal in Shanghai to take you to your hotel? What will the cost of those be?

We are 3 adults.

Does anyone know the cost from the hotel area in Shanghai to the airport? Also if my flight leaves at 5:10 p.m. what time should I leave the hotel? Would 2:00 be enough time?

Are there taxi's at the cruise terminal in Shanghai to take you to your hotel? What will the cost of those be?

We are 3 adults.

You need to allow quite a bit of time for check in and security checks. Traffic out to the airport can really back up, well it was last week. If you are in an international flight I would leave no later that 1330 and possibly earlier

I gave in my answer the location (name) of my hotel and the airport I was flying out of (SHA)..as my personal experience...

What or how the OP wants to apply that to their plans is up to them when all the details of their situation is not given at the time of their post.

One poster gave a helpful reference link.

One poster gave general advice on possible conditions they might encounter anywhere.

Calm down..you can ask for additional info from the OP with out the "amazing" sarcasim denoted in your post aimed at the 3 of us that did try to offer help.

Edited by Ashland

If the OP is flying from Pudong (most probable) and staying around People square, then all the answers above are wrong. Taxi would cost 3 times the figure that you gave.

The key word in your post is "If" ;)

Until more details are given by the OP..none of us is "wrong".

And why assume it's PVG...since many flights connect from SHA-PEK..ours back to the US did.

If the OP is flying from Pudong (most probable) and staying around People square, then all the answers above are wrong. Taxi would cost 3 times the figure that you gave.

My advice was based in actual recent experience

I accept it was based on an assumption of Pudong, but there are congestion challenges at either airport and we have not even started on the antics of Shanghai cab drivers and their "fare adjustments"

But no need to have aggressive pops at those trying to help others. I see you are a relatively new poster, you might want to read around how others post updates and how they word alternative perspectives

That way, any valuable insights you have are more likely to be better accepted

And to the OP I suggest you build in contingency time, check the likely current fare with the hotel bellman and ask him to tell the driver where you want to go (believe me these driver characters are past masters at pretending to misunderstand mud Journey) and the ballpark fare he has indicated to you. I have found if I do that in China I have no problems.

I gave in my answer the location (name) of my hotel and the airport I was flying out of (SHA)..as my personal experience...

What or how the OP wants to apply that to their plans is up to them when all the details of their situation is not given at the time of their post.

One poster gave a helpful reference link.

One poster gave general advice on possible conditions they might encounter anywhere.

Calm down..you can ask for additional info from the OP with out the "amazing" sarcasim denoted in your post aimed at the 3 of us that did try to offer help.

I am sorry for being evasive. I do not know much about Shanghai. It just so happens I am staying at the same hotel Ashland stayed but I will be flying out of Pudong and it is an international flight. i am flying out on a Sunday in late April.

Edited by C-breeze

I am sorry for being evasive. I do not know much about Shanghai. It just so happens I am staying at the same hotel Ashland stayed but I will be flying out of Pudong and it is an international flight. i am flying out on a Sunday in late April.

I for one didn't find your post to be evasive at all..

Many of us at times forget to add all the specifics that some may need before answering a question, others of us will do our best with what details we have to offer help.

You will love the "Grand Central" it's amazing...be sure to ask for a room that might possibly have a view of Nanjing Road...ours did but it was a king (bed) room for two people. Also you might consider adding the breakfast buffet into your reservation...it was well worth it and we were glad we did.

The hotel concierge will easily help you with your travel plans by taxi to the airport by giving you a card with airport code marked and the approx price it will be.

Unlike others we used taxi's quite a bit and had no trouble trying to be scammed..we had a good idea (thanks to the concierge and the meter running in the taxi) of exactly where we were going and how many Yuan it would be...All the taxi drivers wanted was for you to jump in have your Yuan ready and jump out quickly...No problem :)

Enjoy Shanghai...we can't wait to go back.:)

Edited by Ashland

• 2 weeks later...
I for one didn't find your post to be evasive at all..

Many of us at times forget to add all the specifics that some may need before answering a question, others of us will do our best with what details we have to offer help.

You will love the "Grand Central" it's amazing...be sure to ask for a room that might possibly have a view of Nanjing Road...ours did but it was a king (bed) room for two people. Also you might consider adding the breakfast buffet into your reservation...it was well worth it and we were glad we did.

The hotel concierge will easily help you with your travel plans by taxi to the airport by giving you a card with airport code marked and the approx price it will be.

Unlike others we used taxi's quite a bit and had no trouble trying to be scammed..we had a good idea (thanks to the concierge and the meter running in the taxi) of exactly where we were going and how many Yuan it would be...All the taxi drivers wanted was for you to jump in have your Yuan ready and jump out quickly...No problem :)

Enjoy Shanghai...we can't wait to go back.:)

Thanks Ashland. That's helpful for me as well. Our little group (5 people) is on nearly the same schedule as C-breeze (flying out same day, same airport (PVG), same Bund area (we're across the street at the Howard Johnson), except 5 hour earlier flight, 12:20pm).

The 60 yuan part was surprising though. Estimators like this one peg it around 150 yuan...

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Shanghai-China&from=Bund&to=Pudong+International+Airport (~US$30).

And as I understand it, no tip is customary, right? Let's say it's a 154 yuan fare, and we give them 160. Will they look at us funny if we expect them just to keep the change, or will they insist on giving it back to us?

Thanks Ashland. That's helpful for me as well. Our little group (5 people) is on nearly the same schedule as C-breeze (flying out same day, same airport (PVG), same Bund area (we're across the street at the Howard Johnson), except 5 hour earlier flight, 12:20pm).

The 60 yuan part was surprising though. Estimators like this one peg it around 150 yuan...

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Shanghai-China&from=Bund&to=Pudong+International+Airport (~US$30).

And as I understand it, no tip is customary, right? Let's say it's a 154 yuan fare, and we give them 160. Will they look at us funny if we expect them just to keep the change, or will they insist on giving it back to us?

We flew out from SHA not PVG a big difference in distance from our Grand Central Hotel..so it was 60 Yuan...Enjoy Shanghai you'll be so glad you chose this particular area for your hotel.

There is also more than one cruise terminal in Shanghai.

One is nearly downtown, near the Bund; the other is quite a distance out of town.

Which one will your ship be calling at?

C-Breeze and I are both coming into Shanghai from the further away Wusongkou cruise terminal. But from there we're staying a night at hotels downtown in the Bund. It's the next day we're heading to the airport.

If you have time, get your taxi driver to take you to the Maglev station to catch the train to PVG. It takes only 8 minutes to travel 20 miles and is an amazing experience. Shanghai is a very exciting city. We loved it.

That's a great idea. At first I though "Naw, we don't want to mess with another transfer on our trip home with all our luggage". But I watch a YouTube of it and it looks pretty simple and pretty cool. I was worried about space for big luggage but it looks like they have luggage racks in each train (kinda like an airport shuttle). And the total fare is just as cheap if not cheaper than taking taxi all the way. This taxi fare estimator shows 150 yuan all the way to PVG, but only 40 yuan to Longyang station...

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Shanghai-China&from=Bund&to=Longyang+Station

http://www.smtdc.com/en/jszl.asp

The Maglev website shows a 50 yuan fare (40 if you show same-day airline ticket) per person. So for 2 people it's only about 120 yuan total (160 for 3 people).

Taxi from The Bund to Longyang Station is 18 minutes. Maglev leaves station every 15 minutes. The ride to PVG is less than 10. So it really take no more time than a 40 minute taxi from The Bund to PVG.

Is it easy to find things at Longyang Station and to buy tickets (in English) for the Maglev? Did you show an e-ticket to get the discount?

Edited by dbsb3233