Hotel Service Charge

mamaofami

This is from the NCL website under FAQ's:

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

Enjoy your cruise,

Hi Carol- what ship is she sailing on? maybe I can give her some tips. Thought you had finally decided to venture away from HAL. I have 1 cruise booked in November with HAL but am cancelling it in favor of a Norwegian cruise out of NY. Will save lots of money and be if a full suite.

NCL calls it a Discretionary Service Charge. It is $12 per person per day. Yes, your children will be charged $12 per day, each.

Can you provide a link or quote from NCL where they actually use the expression "Discretionary Service Charge"? As far as I can tell, they use the term "Service Charge" and it is described as a daily charge. Elsewhere, they do explain that it can be adjusted or removed after being given a chance to rectify any problems that are encountered. Now, obviously if a passenger insists on adjusting or removing it, they will do so in order to avoid a scene. But adjusting it without cause is simply NOT the way that it's intended to work.

Can you provide a link or quote from NCL where they actually use the expression "Discretionary Service Charge"? As far as I can tell, they use the term "Service Charge" and it is described as a daily charge. Elsewhere, they do explain that it can be adjusted or removed after being given a chance to rectify any problems that are encountered. Now, obviously if a passenger insists on adjusting or removing it, they will do so in order to avoid a scene. But adjusting it without cause is simply NOT the way that it's intended to work.

You are correct. It isn't a Discretionary Service Charge.

It is a charge for service. It isn't a charge for 'Good' service.

It IS how the crew gets paid. It is fascinating that there are people who will take the time to not pay the charge and 'claim' that they then run around paying the same amount to various people in person. It is generally accepted that people who actually do this have too much time on their hands combined with need to lord themselves over the underlings. It is also generally accepted that most people who claim to do this are actually toads who don't pay their obligations.

You are correct. It isn't a Discretionary Service Charge.

Copy and paste from MyNCL on prepay screen :

Service Charges: We are confident that you will enjoy your Freestyle Cruising experience and that our entire crew will provide you with the standard of service for which we are known. A $ 12.00 discretionary service charge will be automatically added per guest per day (for guests three years and older) to your shipboard account for all staterooms. This charge will be shared among those staff members, including the restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and other behind-the-scenes staff who provide services that enhance your overall cruise experience. If you have any concerns about the service you receive during your cruise, please let our Guest Services Desk staff know right away so we can address any issues in a timely manner.

Some don't want to admit defeat even when it is staring them in the face.

Feel free to add a little something to your signature to thwart the efforts of this person. They're in a losing battle anyway because we all know and love the crew on the NCL ships we've been privileged to cruise on.

Have a wonderful cruise everyone.....

cheers,

Connie

Edited by B6ConMe

Copy and paste from MyNCL on prepay screen :

Service Charges: We are confident that you will enjoy your Freestyle Cruising experience and that our entire crew will provide you with the standard of service for which we are known. A $ 12.00 discretionary service charge will be automatically added per guest per day (for guests three years and older) to your shipboard account for all staterooms. This charge will be shared among those staff members, including the restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and other behind-the-scenes staff who provide services that enhance your overall cruise experience. If you have any concerns about the service you receive during your cruise, please let our Guest Services Desk staff know right away so we can address any issues in a timely manner.

Confirming that it isn't a tip but it IS how the crew gets paid.

Can you provide a link or quote from NCL where they actually use the expression "Discretionary Service Charge"? But adjusting it without cause is simply NOT the way that it's intended to work.

Glad you asked. This should help educate you. Look a couple posts above to see one example. Also look here to see another:

www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ncl/welcomeaboard_suites/ Pay close attention to page 13.

Those two examples should convince you I am accurate. Also check dictionary.com to learn the definition of discretionary.

As to your second point, other than your personal opinion, you 'KNOW how it's intended to work' exactly how?

Any reason I can conjure up seems like 'cause' to me.

Some don't want to admit defeat even when it is staring them in the face.

Feel free to add a little something to your signature to thwart the efforts of this person. They're in a losing battle anyway because we all know and love the crew on the NCL ships we've been privileged to cruise on.

Have a wonderful cruise everyone.....

cheers,

Connie

I know right? I provide two quotes directly from NCL and people still refuse to admit it is indeed a Discretionary Service Charge.

Some people conveniently ignore facts when they don't align with their agenda.....

Edited by Love my butler

As to your second point, other than your personal opinion, you 'KNOW how it's intended to work' exactly how?

Simple - NCL states it on their FAQs:

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

I know right? I provide two quotes directly from NCL and people still refuse to admit it is indeed a Discretionary Service Charge.

Some people conveniently ignore facts when they don't align with their agenda.....

Actually, the use of "discretionary" in the sentence on page 13 is an adjective and not a part of the title. The word is used only time one in the section, while the coupling of the words service+charge would constitute the actual verbiage that titles the subject.

I was on the Spirit less than two weeks ago. I have reviewed my on-board spending summary, and the $12 is described as "Service Charge". At no point is the word "discretionary" used on this document.

And I believe you are the one with an agenda.

Edited by TracieABD

You're gonna need a bigger hammer.

Proves nothing, but I don't expect you to understand that. This FAQ merely offers one reason the DSC could be adjusted. You refuse to accept any other reason the DSC could be adjusted. Your tunnel-vision will only accept IT HAS to be a service issue. Open your mind and your eyes.

Actually, the use of "discretionary" in the sentence on page 13 is an adjective and not a part of the title. The word is used only time one in the section, while the coupling of the words service+charge would constitute the actual verbiage that titles the subject.

I was on the Spirit less than two weeks ago. I have reviewed my on-board spending summary, and the $12 is described as "Service Charge". At no point is the word "discretionary" used on this document.

And I believe you are the one with an agenda.

Huh? Did you advise Clinton on what the defintion of is is? It's right there in black and white and you refuse to accept. I give up.

The fact remains it can be adjusted, up or down, with no reason given.

Proves nothing, but I don't expect you to understand that. This FAQ merely offers one reason the DSC could be adjusted. You refuse to accept any other reason the DSC could be adjusted. Your tunnel-vision will only accept IT HAS to be a service issue. Open your mind and your eyes.

It is you who refuses to accept that NCL owns the ship and therefore has the right to make the rules. It is NCL that issued the FAQ as the guideline as to how and when the DSC should be adjusted. Can it be adjusted for other reasons? Of course. But that's not the way it's supposed to work. Again, that's not my opinion; that's NCL's guideline. Talk about tunnel vision!

Replies like yours make me wish very strongly that NCL should simply make the DSC mandatory because you will twist the rules to your liking if it's at all possible.

OK I've got it !!! Some of us open our mind and eyes .....then the rest of us do what is expected and open our pocket books and pay the DSC ....but then we can also open our eyes and look the ship employees straight in the eye :D

Edited by dlynn0366

Huh? Did you advise Clinton on what the defintion of is is? It's right there in black and white and you refuse to accept. I give up.

The fact remains it can be adjusted, up or down, with no reason given.

Just because something can be done does not mean that it should be done or that it is the right thing to do.

FYI this is from the Guest Ticket Contract. Read into it what you please. I don't have a dog in this fight.

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs

I have cruised when there was little white envelopes to fill with Tip Money for those who served us. Then came auto tipping - now it is called a service charge.

I worked in the service field and owned a business where there was tipping for great service. I would have never ever would have asked for a tip/ service charge before the service. Do you when you go out to dinner or have your hair / nails done ?

Just something to think about .

I have cruised when there was little white envelopes to fill with Tip Money for those who served us. Then came auto tipping - now it is called a service charge.

I worked in the service field and owned a business where there was tipping for great service. I would have never ever would have asked for a tip/ service charge before the service. Do you when you go out to dinner or have your hair / nails done ?

While passengers have the option to pre-pay before the cruise the charge itself is assessed daily, after you've received the service. Even if you do opt to pre-pay (as we do) you still have the option of having an adjustment made should you have a service issue.

I've sailed with NCL for quite a while now, I remember when we had the white envelopes, but I never remember auto tipping being one of NCL's procedures? I remember going from white envelopes to Daily Service Charge, please note I said Daily.

I do know that some cruise lines did/do have auto tipping, I don't recall NCL ever being one of those?

Tipping on NCL is what one does for excellent service and is an option. I don't think I would ever tip in advance. Going into Cagney's and giving the server some money when he/she comes to take my order does not make sense. At the end of the meal if service was great, I might add a tip. This in no way has anything to do with the DSC. In the NCL FAQ's I think they are very clear in what the intent is, give us a chance to fix your issue proactively, and if we can't make an adjustment to the DSC that is appropriate to the issue.

From the FAQ's: