Ladies - lets talk handbags

Sparkles87

Thank you! I just can't imagine heading to a pool carrying a book and/or magazine, sun-block, water, lip balm and all the other stuff my son and husband cram in there. I don't want to embarrass my in-laws but I also want to have what I need when I need it with me.

I always carry a straw or plastic tote bag to the pool or Serenity Deck. I too like to have reading material, sun products, etc. I have no clue why this would be considered a "newbie mistake". And even if it was...who cares? It's your cruise so enjoy it like you want.:D

Thank you! I just can't imagine heading to a pool carrying a book and/or magazine, sun-block, water, lip balm and all the other stuff my son and husband cram in there. I don't want to embarrass my in-laws but I also want to have what I need when I need it with me.

I usually have some kind of bag with the kind of things you mentioned when I go to the pool area. It might not be a purse, but a small tote or beach bag. Sometimes I have my small purse in the tote. You will see lots of others (women, mostly) doing the same.

I don't think of that as a newbie thing at all--and anyway, who cares?

I have a hobo style bag that I big everywhere during the day. It has my kindle, sunscreen, mini-notebook and pen (notes for the reviews I do), camera, lip gloss, and whatever Walt wants to put in there. It's a lot easier to throw it all in there...I can't imagine juggling all of that.

Lisa

I always carry a bag to the pool as well. I like having a place to put my clothes, camera, sunglasses, hat, etc.

I rarely have pockets though. 95% of the time, I'm wearing dresses. If I didn't bring a bag to the pool, I'd be carrying things in my hands and that is not an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I learned years ago was to carry a purse just large enough for my own stuff. Let the others in your party carry their own stuff. I am not a pack mule for others. It doesn't take long for them to learn what is important and essential for the day. Or…what they will accumulate throughout the day.

Sure, I'll put the bottle of sunscreen in my bag, but that's something I need too.

Edited by Happy ks

I just got a new bag for my birthday:D...last Tuesday I was 56:eek:

Anyway, I was at the Clark's store and they carry some really nice

leather bags.....got this one for 50% off:D.....It is red, with a brown

handle and brown around the bottom, fun lining in stripes.....originally

120.00 and I got it for 60:)....very soft leather. And there is a brown

strap of leather going across the middle that sort of looks like a belt

buckle.....I haven't bought a red bag in years....I really love it.:)

Trying to find a picture but the version I am finding is a bit different

than what I have. Oh well.

Oh it is a shoulder bag.....not for cruising but since the top is about bags

figured I would post about my find:)

Edited by Lois R

I just got what I hope to be a perfect bag for me. It's cross body, but has an adjustable strap so I can make it a shoulder bag. Not too big so I don't stuff it heavy, but not so small I can't take what I need. Lightweight…I've been trying forever to get away from leather, but every fabric bag I see…just not right for me. It's actually a little dressier looking in person than the photo shows.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/eric-javits-escape-convertible-squishee-shoulder-bag/3151452?origin=PredictiveSearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=2375500&fashionColor=NATURAL+WITH+BLACK+TRIM&resultback=828&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_4_D

I haven't decided whether or not to take it on our next cruise. It would look nice for day or evening, but it's just a whole lot larger than my normal travel bag. I usually take a small Bric's bag, called an envelope (cross body style), but then I need an evening bag as well because it's so casual. Mine is similar to this, but in a black nylon, they no longer make it.

http://www.bricstore.com/life-sissi-bag-1055.html

A zip top is critical to me. Too many times over the years I've had purses get knocked over and the contents spill out. Even my tote bags have zip tops.

Thanks for posting this originally. I wasn't familiar with Eric Javits before. I didn't want to pay the full price for the bag you got (no gift cards for me, alas). But after a lot of looking around, I found a different style but with the same coloration on a great markdown at Neiman Marcus Last Call:

http://www.lastcall.com/Eric-Javits-Law-Squishee-Shoulder-Bag-Hickory-Mix/prod21180022/p.prod

I got mine in store -- it's not a cross-body bag, but more of a traditional shoulder bag, which is fine with me. It's just the right size. I wear a lot of black and neutral brown even in summer to work and this bag is dressy enough to be my go-to bag while still saying that it's summer.

They also have it in the lighter color.