Walkie talkies on cruises

bocaraton

Mine are Motorola 2 way radios. We have two. To talk to each other, we pick a channel, one of 15 I think, and one of 38 codes. This allows us as much privacy as one can expect (lol) over the radio waves.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for info. Would u tell me the model and then I will buy two which will get me 4 units and we should manage well ...do u get good reception on ship? is it the codes that you enter before the channel that give u the privacy to connect to your other user.?

Thanks.

A few years ago, RCI had a Royal connect program to keep track of your group/kids. Each get an iPhone (rent by day through RCI) all connections in rental agreement.

See if they still have that program.

I found that walkie Talkies have reception problems, I was talking to other families but couldn't get my own.

This is what I was planning on using on the Oasis this month. I don't know much about it but you rent them from the ship for the week and you can text back and forth. I thought these would be pretty handy.

We've taken this kind of talkie on ships before and while they tend to work, there are a few issues:

1. You have to either stick a thing in your ear or have the talkie on loud enough that you can hear someone else talking. This is most annoying to anyone around you. It's especially annoying to use the attention noise thing to get someone's attention

2. Other people with talkies may use the same frequency so you get to hear them as well.

3. They don't work as well as on land so you get a lot of static from the metal in the ship.

I think a text only talkie might be useful, but we tend to just leave messages on our room phones and we make a point of calling in every once in a while to see if there are any messages waiting. You have to remember to check, but it's not that big of a deal since there are phones you can use all over the ship.

Tom

These were sold on board Adventure :

IMG_2740.jpg

This is what I was planning on using on the Oasis this month. I don't know much about it but you rent them from the ship for the week and you can text back and forth. I thought these would be pretty handy.

Thank you for the information. I looked up Royal Connect and they do have that program although I did not check if they have it on Liberty of the Seas. It is 30 dollars for the cruise for each rental which is OK..However, from their description I am not clear if u can only use it for texting or also for talking. Texting would be hard for kids...Thanks.

We have ten year old motorolas that work great! We never cruise without them. If you take them ashore in Mexico, be advised that they might be seized by he Mexican authorities. Not sure why.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Shirley and all

You would be well advised not to take these radios off the ship , in many countries they are illegal , here in Australia you could face penalties that include imprisonment just for possession of them.

i'm a radio amateur and its actually against the law here for anyone to have a transmitter that they do not have a license to use

The handie/talkies operate on the CB bands and are covered by a class license , but the frequencies they use are not the same in different countries.

So use them on the ship if you wish .. however you will find that they dont work very well due to the metal of the ship shielding the signals (they are only very low power)

Bit of a waste of time :D

best regards

john

Thanks for your reply. I will pull out our 2-way radios and get fresh batteries and pack them in our luggage.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thereby bothering everyone who is near you who has to hear you yelling into the walkie talkie about meeting somebody somewhere. Where are the jammers when you need them.

Check some of the many CC message threads about what other people think about people who use walkie talkies on a ship. There are lots of them.

DON

Thereby bothering everyone who is near you who has to hear you yelling into the walkie talkie about meeting somebody somewhere. Where are the jammers when you need them.

Check some of the many CC message threads about what other people think about people who use walkie talkies on a ship. There are lots of them.

DON

Nothing bothers me more than people that talk with food in their mouths. If everyone in both the MDR and WJ could kindly not do that it would make my cruise that much more enjoyable for me. Thanks in advance...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

DON

Sscccchhhhhkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!

What!!!!?

sssscccchhhhhhkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT!

ssssscchhhhkkkkkkkk!!!!!!

Holler louder! I can't hear you!!!!!!!!

ssssccchhhhkkkkkkkssss!!!!!!!!

What!

Mom!!!!???

Who are YOU!!!!!! Get off our channel!!!!!!!!!

No!!! It's ours!!!!! You switch!!!!!!!!!

Sscchhhccccsssskkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!

What? Where are you!!!!!!!?????????

Sssccchhhhhkkkk!!!!!!!!

Repeat ad nauseum.

why complain. walk away. most people use them for only a few seconds some people truly need them. we have diabetic grandchildren and they need to call in blood sugar levels so we tell them how to adjust insulin pumps... r only your messages or yourselves important...maybe u just travel alone and need to be alone...check out renting a yacht.

but maybe the captain will have to call the shore.

Repeat ad nauseum.

why complain. walk away. most people use them for only a few seconds some people truly need them. we have diabetic grandchildren and they need to call in blood sugar levels so we tell them how to adjust insulin pumps... r only your messages or yourselves important...maybe u just travel alone and need to be alone...check out renting a yacht.

but maybe the captain will have to call the shore.

Repeat ad nauseum.

Of course if I am reading in a quiet area of the deck and some loudmouth starts shouting into his walkietalkie next to me, it is my fault for being there - so it is up to me to try to find some other place.

Of course if I am reading in a quiet area of the deck and some loudmouth starts shouting into his walkietalkie next to me, it is my fault for being there - so it is up to me to try to find some other place.

Ah. You understand the issue with getting your ear raped by half of a useless attempt at useless communication with mostly useless device by people addicted to cel-phones.

We bought wallow talkies for our first cruise with our grand kids. The wallow talkies never left their boxes. It was so much easier to arrange to meet at a certain time at a certain place. Just make sure everyone has a watch or cellphone on airplane mode so they know what time it is.

Ah. You understand the issue with getting your ear raped by half of a useless attempt at useless communication with mostly useless device by people addicted to cel-phones.

Kind of painting with a broad brush? The cruises I have been on I have seen people using them but not bothering everyone around them.

I do not drink alcohol, but I'm not going to call for the ship going dry because some people that drink get obnoxious and surly when they do...

RatMouth (I LOVE Boca Raton = Rat Mouth ;) ) and others: What did people do about issues like this pre-cell phones/walkies???

Do the kids randomly check their levels or do they do it at specific times? Can specific times to meet up to check/adjust not be arranged? My now-ex was a lifetime type1, so I do comprehend the test/adjust aspect…

We bought wallow talkies for our first cruise with our grand kids. The wallow talkies never left their boxes. It was so much easier to arrange to meet at a certain time at a certain place. Just make sure everyone has a watch or cellphone on airplane mode so they know what time it is.

Sounds like a good plan.

RatMouth (I LOVE Boca Raton = Rat Mouth ;) ) and others: What did people do about issues like this pre-cell phones/walkies???

Do the kids randomly check their levels or do they do it at specific times? Can specific times to meet up to check/adjust not be arranged? My now-ex was a lifetime type1, so I do comprehend the test/adjust aspect…

What did we do before the salk vaccine or penecillin? I would really love to meet you onboard to explain this to you. I am sure you are an understanding and kind person. The kids do not check at specific times...other than to never let more the 2.5 hours go by without checking. They also need to check "if the feel wrong" either high or low...they are learning what that feels like and how to differentiate. They must be checked all night as well. Their parents alternate nights or sleeping and sometimes they have a nurse in so they can sleep straight thru...I am sure this is more complicated than you envisioned. It certainly is a case that I wish I never had to learn about. Also the adjustment does not always work if there is an airbuble in the tuble. They have a site inserted to their pumps and they change it every few days to prevent infection..ON THE GOOD SIDE, IF U LIKE KIDS AT ALL, THEY ARE GREAT and even for a grandmother I must say they are very very cute. Their parents are doing a great job bringing them up normally...they play soccer, ball, piano and whatever...if u saw them, you would never know. Just was trying to tell you that sometimes its hard to judge people from appearances. Would love to meet and chat on board..

What did we do before the salk vaccine or penecillin? I would really love to meet you onboard to explain this to you. I am sure you are an understanding and kind person. The kids do not check at specific times...other than to never let more the 2.5 hours go by without checking. They also need to check "if the feel wrong" either high or low...they are learning what that feels like and how to differentiate. They must be checked all night as well. Their parents alternate nights or sleeping and sometimes they have a nurse in so they can sleep straight thru...I am sure this is more complicated than you envisioned. It certainly is a case that I wish I never had to learn about. Also the adjustment does not always work if there is an airbuble in the tuble. They have a site inserted to their pumps and they change it every few days to prevent infection..ON THE GOOD SIDE, IF U LIKE KIDS AT ALL, THEY ARE GREAT and even for a grandmother I must say they are very very cute. Their parents are doing a great job bringing them up normally...they play soccer, ball, piano and whatever...if u saw them, you would never know. Just was trying to tell you that sometimes its hard to judge people from appearances. Would love to meet and chat on board..

I do understand. I'm just always fascinated by the need nowadays to always be in constant contact, unlike even 5 years ago. Full disclosure: I have a cellphone, but it's a 6 year old RAZR, not a smart phone. It is only an emergency phone - very few people have the number. I do not use it in daily practice; I can go weeks without touching it.

It sounds like your grandkids are still in the uncontrolled stages - especially if they need overnight checking and even a nurse to assist. Good luck with getting things managed and eventually controlled. I know it's a difficult diagnosis to receive and a major change in lifestyle and habits. Have they cruised before? How was it dealt with?

Edited by slidergirl

Kind of painting with a broad brush? The cruises I have been on I have seen people using them but not bothering everyone around them.

I do not drink alcohol, but I'm not going to call for the ship going dry because some people that drink get obnoxious and surly when they do...

Is your comment sarcasm, intolerance, an attempt at wittiness or just pseudo intellectualism? Never mind. I am not bright enough to get it...or just maybe I am humorless today. We will all have a great cruise and find what we want in our environment that makes us happy if we are open to it.

Are the kids regularly getting air bubbles in their tubing. I have to say that I never do, but I've learned a few tricks to keeping air bubbles out. It's all in how the insulin is drawn, orientation of the pump when priming and getting a good prime. Let me know if you would like some tips to help avoid the bubbles...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app