Watching Captain Phillips got me thinking.......

mrwilliamt

Was on a bridge tour on the Pearl in early December. My friend and I had taken our two home schooled boys on the cruise. One of them asked the Officer during the Q&A if they had any weapons on board to fight pirates. He said yes, they had several options available to them. Then he broke out into a big smile and said, "But I can't tell you about it. It I told you, I'd have to kill you."

and the real reason that pirates don't board the cruise ships is because of the 'entitled' ones.........lets' face it, we have all seen those passengers who feel entitled to everything - can you honestly expect a pirate to put up with that type of hostage?

Someone is watching too much Hollywood movies ;)

Cruise ships don't sail anywhere near pirates. I am not aware of any cruises off the eastern shore of Africa but who knows. However, I feel safer on my next cruise on Getaway because it has a pirate theme and mock cannon to scare off any potential pirates. Seems NCL is embracing the pirate them which is pretty cool, especially if you are a Pittsburgh Pirates fan :)

What I always thought was scary is how easy terrorists could take over a ship in any small port in those islands.

Here is one Regent cruise that sails through that area.

http://www.rssc.com/cruises/VOY141121/summary/default.aspx

Beyond my price range though!

IT has happened. I don't remember when or what ship, but I remember passengers actually threw furniture down at pirates causing them to go into the ocean.

Also, I know that on cruises that go through the Red Sea and Horn of Africa on their way East have Navy Seals (probably former seals, now private security) on-board.

I remember that too! I think it was Seabourne. Several years ago.

cruise ships used to rely on the water hoses and an ear piercing siren however in recent years they have been upgraded to include several more options which are not publicized for obvious reasons

For the OP --- It has happened. These incidents are tracked and reported through the International Maritime Bureau, a division of the International Chamber of Commerce.

You can read some of the latest live reports of piracy here:

http://www.icc-ccs.org/piracy-reporting-centre

Also, GREAT movie by the way. I thought the actors who played the pirates did a better job than Tom Hanks. To me, Tom Hanks is...well....always Tom Hanks. I found the pirate characters more interesting.

I've heard that the pirates avoid Norwegian because they don't want to risk losing access to the pretzel rolls when they're on vacation.

NO...that's not true. It's because NCL has a very strict policy: No towel animals for pirates.

and the real reason that pirates don't board the cruise ships is because of the 'entitled' ones.........lets' face it, we have all seen those passengers who feel entitled to everything - can you honestly expect a pirate to put up with that type of hostage?

Lol. Nice

cruise ships used to rely on the water hoses and an ear piercing siren however in recent years they have been upgraded to include several more options which are not publicized for obvious reasons

Thanks Star. I suspected as much

There was an incident two years ago on an NCL ship. Pirates boarded, but then left when they found they were not allowed to bring their own booze on board.

Another incident occurred last year, but the pirates quickly were subdued by being "nickel and dimed" to death

True stories :p:D

Edited by sdmike

There was an incident two years ago on an NCL ship. Pirates boarded, but then left when they found they were not allowed to bring their own booze on board.

Another incident occurred last year, but the pirates quickly were subdued by being "nickel and dimed" to death

True stories :p:D

Love it :D......but did they not reconsider when they found out they could adjust their daily service charges ??

Edited by dlynn0366

Costa ships carry armed guards when they travel off the coast of Africa.

I know you say this and It may be true. These ships like merchant ships are not allowed to carry firearms for that purpose. If they were there would be rifles and handguns on the ships to fend off the pirates. With all the ports these ships visit, the gun laws are real strict in some areas.

Maybe the Armed Guards get on and off the ship in international waters.

Also too, cruise ships are a lot faster and more manuverable than the merchant ships that get taken over.

Edited by NH Cruisers

IT has happened. I don't remember when or what ship, but I remember passengers actually threw furniture down at pirates causing them to go into the ocean.

Also, I know that on cruises that go through the Red Sea and Horn of Africa on their way East have Navy Seals (probably former seals, now private security) on-board.

Also, wasn't a guy in a wheelchair killed by pirates back in the 80s?

Edited by Out to sea!