Princess Secrets 2014!!!

lw4484

Enjoy that cynical attitude. I, on the other hand, will enjoy my cookie and glass of milk. I don't eat cookies at home and I rarely have a glass of milk. I don't try to "maximize" the amount of more expensive food in MDR and I certainly don't see other passengers scrimping on their portions in HC. On the contrary, I 'm usually appalled at the amount of food I see people heaping onto those platters.

10828987125_c9d28e5512_m.jpg

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

Not quite. You can purchase them up to 60 days after your cruise from

Princess by calling.

Really? Wow that's good to know. I don't believe I've ever seen that information posted here before.

Just purchased extra FCC's last week from home, after a cruise as well as some on the ship. The difference was the we received $150 each on the ship for our longer future cruise and only $125 for the other longer cruise we are doing.

New bookings only.

Its a great deal either way.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

One CrCr member wrote the following, above (and others agreed or re-stated the same information in other words):

"They come around the main deck at 3pm with trays of warm, fresh cookies and ice cold milk. Its pretty wonderful!"

We respect the above opinion ["wonderful"], but we do not share it. We believe that this service is performed with an ulterior motive. ALL cruise lines do everything that they possibly can to limit passengers' intake of the foods that cost them the most -- especially meat, fish, and desserts. The lines try to tempt guests to fill up on things that cost the lines the least -- in this case milk and cookies ... and they do it at 3PM -- to kill our appetites. (Remember when you were a kid, and your mom would not allow you to have a snack at 3PM, lest you "ruin your appetite for supper.")

When cruise lines cannot ruin an appetite by persuading guests to snack on solids between meals, they hope to do it by means of beverages -- especially carbonated beverages, which are notorious for fooling our brains into thinking that we are full and just cannot order much in the MDR (or cannot take much to eat in the buffet). Many people who fill up on beverages in the afternoon -- and then eat lightly at dinner -- tend to get frustratingly hungry after the MDR has closed.

Finally, when cruise lines cannot ruin an appetite via solid snacks nor via bubbly beverages, then they will try to fool guests into skipping dessert by filling them up with inexpensive pre-entree items. Examples are ... water (especially sparkling water, with its air bubbles filling up the stomach), salad, soup (VERY heavy), and bread (again full of air).

Of course, some people absolutely LOVE cookies, milk, salad, soup, and/or bread ... and they can just ignore what we have said above. If, however, you are a passenger who would like to eat the maximum amount of the most expensive, best-tasting [to the average person] foods on a ship, then you need to join us in avoiding, as much as possible, the aforementioned items that are designed to fill up our stomachs at the least possible cost to the cruise line.

Makes wondering about happy hour and deals on Drink of the day ( and free drinks at Captain's cocktail and other events) interesting since alcool really increases appetite...

Cruise ship paranoia.

Exactly what I was thinking.

There are also people out there who believe the vapor trails seen behind high altitude jets is actually mind control drugs being sprayed into our atmosphere.

All I can say is Wow!

Now that is a diet I could wrap myself around. Is that the Princess secret diet? ;) I used to do the Tums thing too, but I found that good old Alka Seltzer worked better for me.

That is my diet and I never gain weight on a cruise. My portions are proportionate to my size which is small. I used to use the stairs for exercise but now that husband is in scooter, I use the elevators. I think lifting a fork is good exercise. I'm allergic to something in Alka seltzer so I'll stick with the tums. I only need them if I eat right before bedtime.

Just purchased extra FCC's last week from home, after a cruise as well as some on the ship. The difference was the we received $150 each on the ship for our longer future cruise and only $125 for the other longer cruise we are doing.

New bookings only.

Its a great deal either way.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The 8 we bought in April on the Caribbean Princess are only worth up to $125 each for long cruises, I think 17 days or more.

One CrCr member wrote the following, above (and others agreed or re-stated the same information in other words):

"They come around the main deck at 3pm with trays of warm, fresh cookies and ice cold milk. Its pretty wonderful!"

We respect the above opinion ["wonderful"], but we do not share it. We believe that this service is performed with an ulterior motive. ALL cruise lines do everything that they possibly can to limit passengers' intake of the foods that cost them the most -- especially meat, fish, and desserts. The lines try to tempt guests to fill up on things that cost the lines the least -- in this case milk and cookies ... and they do it at 3PM -- to kill our appetites. (Remember when you were a kid, and your mom would not allow you to have a snack at 3PM, lest you "ruin your appetite for supper.")

When cruise lines cannot ruin an appetite by persuading guests to snack on solids between meals, they hope to do it by means of beverages -- especially carbonated beverages, which are notorious for fooling our brains into thinking that we are full and just cannot order much in the MDR (or cannot take much to eat in the buffet). Many people who fill up on beverages in the afternoon -- and then eat lightly at dinner -- tend to get frustratingly hungry after the MDR has closed.

Finally, when cruise lines cannot ruin an appetite via solid snacks nor via bubbly beverages, then they will try to fool guests into skipping dessert by filling them up with inexpensive pre-entree items. Examples are ... water (especially sparkling water, with its air bubbles filling up the stomach), salad, soup (VERY heavy), and bread (again full of air).

Of course, some people absolutely LOVE cookies, milk, salad, soup, and/or bread ... and they can just ignore what we have said above. If, however, you are a passenger who would like to eat the maximum amount of the most expensive, best-tasting [to the average person] foods on a ship, then you need to join us in avoiding, as much as possible, the aforementioned items that are designed to fill up our stomachs at the least possible cost to the cruise line.

Wow, this took a lot of thought and consideration of Princess's motives. I'm inclined to think cruise ship paranoia may be in play .

I am, in general, a light eater, but eat whatever I want and more so on a cruise. On my last cruise,on embarkation day, my dd and I were in the virtually deserted IC, enjoying some lovely salads, good cappuccino and a view of the San Francisco Bay Bridge . A great way to begin the cruise without the HC crowds or the formality of the MDR. I love the IC and my coffee card!

• 2 weeks later...

I know a couple of people have said they are tired of the mention of the OBC (On Board Credit) you get for having 100 Carnival shares, but I did want to say a big "thank you" to the person who posted the template of the letter which they fax in to Princessfor their OBC for each cruise.

Having purchased 100 shares I faxed the letter in to Princess, and initially did not see the credit added. However, when I called they said I should check the Cruise Personalizer, and the "Payments and Credits" tab. I checked there, and did see my $100 on board credit.

Thanks to everyone who posted this suggestion.

Now that is a diet I could wrap myself around. Is that the Princess secret diet? ;) I used to do the Tums thing too, but I found that good old Alka Seltzer worked better for me.

Sadly, I always purchase OTC Prevacid and take one every morning starting on embarkation day and take my last the morning after we arrive home. No fullness or indigestion and no yucky flavor!

I haven't seen anyone mention how insanely good the fetucchini is on Princess. It's one of my must haves! Also, they used to have build your own ice cream sundae's around 3pm in the buffet area. Do they still do that?
No more sundaes at the buffet for more than three years since they started serving free soft serve cones at the Ice Cream Bar.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No more sundaes at the buffet for more than three years since they started serving free soft serve cones at the Ice Cream Bar.]

That's a bit of a bummer but at least free ice cream is still available! Is it available on the Golden Princess? My last cruise with princess was to Alaska on the Coral Princess in Sept 11. We ate sundaes everyday even though it was freezing outside!

Its ice milk at the ice cream bar for cones and it not good. :(

There is real ice cream in the DR.

To each their own. Although not the best, it can still taste pretty good. Early on the mix was not very creamy but on more recent cruises DW and I have found it to be a refreshing snack :)

There is good ice cream in the DR at lunch and dinner with vanilla, chocolate and strawberry every day with two additional flavors of the day and a sorbet. You can add chocolate, caramel, butterscotch and strawberry toppings as well as whipped cream and nuts. If you really want to pig out, order the Volcano from the kid's menu which is a huge banana split with three scoop of ice cream. Enough for two or three to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

To each their own. Although not the best, it can still taste pretty good. Early on the mix was not very creamy but on more recent cruises DW and I have found it to be a refreshing snack :)

We shall see, the Regal is coming up.

I try one on every cruise and it been consistantly gritty. :(

There is good ice cream in the DR at lunch and dinner with vanilla, chocolate and strawberry every day with two additional flavors of the day and a sorbet. You can add chocolate, caramel, butterscotch and strawberry toppings as well as whipped cream and nuts. If you really want to pig out, order the Volcano from the kid's menu which is a huge banana split with three scoop of ice cream. Enough for two or three to share.

So I just went from not eating it to ordering the Volcano for dessert! Oh man, I'd better start losing weight now! October will be here before we know it!

We shall see, the Regal is coming up.

I try one on every cruise and it been consistantly gritty. :(

We will be on the Regal the cruise before you. We can compare notes. Maybe we have lower standards than yours ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app