Can't get to Splendor 2/5,dangerous weather

ma40

Hi, not looking for help,maybe a little sympathy. I will miss the Splendor cruise 2/5. The weather was not described as dangerous,but it is. I live in Eastern PA,called the bus co.I've taken to NYC many times,the message,all buses to NYC and Newark are cancelled,check back for updates. Horrified, I checked trains,trees were down on the tracks. States of NJ and NY declared a state of emergency,only emergency personnel and vehicles allowed. We are having an ice storm 1/2"solid ice over 8" from Monday's storm.I called Carnival emergency #,they could not say until 2pm if the departure would be delayed. If the Port of NY decides the ship will leave on time,the gangway closes at 3:30.Drive, I can't get there until 4:30.

Trees are breaking off, blocking traffic,slush is freezing,many accidents.

I love cruising but the obstacles made this trip a no go. The area is now getting more sleet and freezing rain. I hope the people who made it have a great time. Enjoy the warm sun.

Edited by ma40
too many the & ands

Hi, I'm not looking for help,maybe a little sympathy. I will miss the Splendor cruise 2/5. The weather was not described as dangerous,but it is. I live in Eastern PA,called the bus co.I've taken to NYC many times,the message,all buses to NYC and Newark are cancelled,check back for updates. Then I checked trains,trees were down on the tracks. The state of NJ and NY declared a state of emergency,only emergency personnel and vehicles allowed. We are having an ice storm with 1/2"solid ice over 8" from Monday storm.I called Carnival emergency #,they could not say until 2pm if the departure would be delayed. If the Port of NY decides the ship will leave on time,the gangway is closed at 3:30.

Trees are breaking off,falling into street blocking traffic,slush is freezing,many accidents. I love cruising but the obstacles made this trip a no go. The area is now getting more sleet and freezing rain. I hope the people who made it have a great time. Enjoy the warm sun.

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine your disappointment. I hope there will be a way you can make this trip up, somehow. :(

Sorry about your troubles, but it is now 2:00. Why did you wait until now to write here? Seriously....I would have DRIVEN to the port last night. The storm did not (and was stated as such) yesterday,,,, until 2:00am this morning. In other words...we knew this storm was coming for days. There were many options last night. NOW....not so much. Soooo sorry you are missing your cruise.

Edited by champagne123
ccccccccccccccc

Hi, not looking for help,maybe a little sympathy. I will miss the Splendor cruise 2/5. The weather was not described as dangerous,but it is. I live in Eastern PA,called the bus co.I've taken to NYC many times,the message,all buses to NYC and Newark are cancelled,check back for updates. Horrified, I checked trains,trees were down on the tracks. States of NJ and NY declared a state of emergency,only emergency personnel and vehicles allowed. We are having an ice storm 1/2"solid ice over 8" from Monday's storm.I called Carnival emergency #,they could not say until 2pm if the departure would be delayed. If the Port of NY decides the ship will leave on time,the gangway closes at 3:30.Drive, I can't get there until 4:30.

I love cruising but the obstacles made this trip a no go. The area is now getting more sleet and freezing rain. I hope the people who made it have a great time. Enjoy the warm sun.

So sad that you are missing your cruise. Hopefully, you will be on one soon!!!:)

Hi Ma40 :)

I'm so sorry to hear that you may miss your cruise. I live in

NJ and the snow has been a mess for the last couple of

days now.

The forecast for last evening into today has been all over

the news, almost non-stop coverage for days.

It's a shame you weren't able to get a head start on your journey

and arrive to NY yesterday. Do you have vacation insurance?

I hope you make it to the port in time. Keep us posted.

Good luck!!

Edited by PortSideCruzan

No chance u can re route and catch it at a port :) Sorry u are missing it that stinks. I know that was one of the worst storms we have had this year 6 inches plus of snow and then Ice , thought I was going to have a heart attack shoveling that crap it was like cement . That storm in the south and they would have shut down for weeks . Thank goodness we are equipped to handle it here.

Wow that stinks; how disappointing.

In CT they said multiple times that the roads are going to be treacherous today. I didn't make it into work (in NY) but you can bet that if I was going to board a cruise today, I would have driven down and taken it slow.

I'm very sad for you. I know you must be disappointed. Is there any way that you can change to another sail date?

Just wanted to come and say that we all feel for you. Stay save!

Hi, I'm original poster,I've been sailing out of NYC since Holland American's Noordam left NYC in winter,always had the bus to rely on. This is just such a bad.snowy winter. NJ has 2 major roads closed right now at 5 pm because of accidents. NYC did get slammed with snow,lots of traffic jams. I did not anticipate such serious problems,my friend packed at 4 am this morning,she was going to be a first time cruiser. She was not ready to get it together yesterday.

I am thinking of traveling alone since Carnival has special rates for singles on some cruises. It was bad luck and bad planning.

Thanks for the support,cruise critic members are people who truly understand,missing the ship is so sad,never had it happen before.