Can't get to Splendor 2/5,dangerous weather

ma40

Hi Limoguy :)

Yes, plenty of ice indeed. Here is a photo of the Splendor docking in NY

last week..

1s_zps9c009c50.jpg

:)

WOW... Need an ice breaker for the ship. I would have probably checked forcast and left 2 days early if I had to. Especially if I could have driven.

Were they playing the theme from Titanic, when you were sailing down the Hudson? :D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

haha..thankfully not! :eek:

No ice really in the path of the ships on the main waterway.

There were loads of ice where the ships dock. It was the same when we left on 1/28. Im guessing the ice had to be broke up before the ships go in there. There were huge chunks

Sorry about your troubles, but it is now 2:00. Why did you wait until now to write here? Seriously....I would have DRIVEN to the port last night. The storm did not (and was stated as such) yesterday,,,, until 2:00am this morning. In other words...we knew this storm was coming for days. There were many options last night. NOW....not so much. Soooo sorry you are missing your cruise.

Very true.

Hi, I'm original poster,I've been sailing out of NYC since Holland American's Noordam left NYC in winter,always had the bus to rely on. This is just such a bad.snowy winter. NJ has 2 major roads closed right now at 5 pm because of accidents. NYC did get slammed with snow,lots of traffic jams. I did not anticipate such serious problems,my friend packed at 4 am this morning,she was going to be a first time cruiser. She was not ready to get it together yesterday.

I am thinking of traveling alone since Carnival has special rates for singles on some cruises. It was bad luck and bad planning.

Thanks for the support,cruise critic members are people who truly understand,missing the ship is so sad,never had it happen before.

Any chance of you getting a cheap flight to Orlando and drive to Port Canaveral to catch up to the ship? You still have a day or two to get there and still enjoy the rest of your cruise.

i as well from listening/watching the news would have made every attempt to have gone down the day before, even to the point of calling off work to make sure i got as close as possible. hopefully the OP had insurance to make it somewhat better they missed the cruise.

Cruise was great for us. Water was not rough at all. Had a couple cold days but that was expected.

I don't know the itinerary, but how many days until you are in warm weather? I can't imagine. Sail away in the cold. Even our Alaska cruise was hot since we left Seattle in July.

We don't cruise until April usually.

Not to sound negative, but I'm sure the OP feels bad enough about missing his cruise. Perhaps a little empathy for him rather than the "I would have done this..." that everyone is saying.

I was thinking maybe OP doesn't drive and needed to take public transportation. Hope he/she had insurance that covered this circumstance. :(

I sympathize with the OP, but seeing that they have been calling for ice and freezing rain since last week, I would have made plans to get to the city ahead of time. With her being just outside Philly the drive could had been 3-4 hours before the ice/rain started. The PA Turnpike was closed, but most of the major interstates and NJTPK were open, but on reduced speed limits.

I thought Titanic when I saw that ice also.

Curious - going out of a northern state in winter, how long does it take to get to a warm spot?

Two sea days and then you're in Port Canaveral.

We were on the week of Jan 12 and the second day people were in the outdoor pools and lounging outside...even though it was chilly.

Not to sound negative, but I'm sure the OP feels bad enough about missing his cruise. Perhaps a little empathy for him rather than the "I would have done this..." that everyone is saying.

No kidding there. Why do the woulda-shoulda-couldas seem to come out of the woodwork when misfortune strikes others?

I thought Titanic when I saw that ice also.

Curious - going out of a northern state in winter, how long does it take to get to a warm spot?

We just came off the Splendor Cruise this morning, the same one that Limoguy was on.

We had an amazing time. !!!

I believe that we would normally have had a 'warm' day on the second sea day if that nasty 'Canadian Polar Vortex' hadn't showed up that week, bringing the cold front down so far south. (think Atlanta's ice storm)

We had snow on the deck for the first sea day because of that 'polar vortex'. Instead of being a problem, it made for some interesting pics and lots of fodder for conversation to 'break the ice' ;) with new, fellow cruisers. One of the ship's officers said that this was only the second time in his 18 years of sailing that he has seen snow on a ship that he was sailing on.

Cape Canaveral was warm but rainy. The next three days were HOT…. Nassau, Frreeport and the third sea day. Hot HOt HOT :D

Yesterday was an indoor day spent relaxing and just enjoying the last day of the cruise. I would definitely sail again from NYC in the winter but one never knows what's up with the weather at any time of the year. You could have all rainy days even in the summer.

We had a slow drive home because of the snow storm but everything went well. We heard that flights were cancelled and wondered what would happen for those who didn't make their flights, etc. for this next cruise.…

So sorry to the OP . I really am hoping that they postponed the departure for your sake...

Edited by 2CoolCanucks

I especially after these boards and last 2 years understand how living in a more crowded area makes this winter travel so much harder on these big storms and many folks do rely on public transportation...I am so sorry OP..you are taking it like a champ..just having the group to talk to..only read positive comments and if you learn something that would help next time don't worry...sometimes IMHO..God has other ideas and we really are not meant to go..I hope and pray something really special happens to you this week..get out there and do something new and different to help..does not have to be expensive either..a new couple of stores?? Antique shops? Sports store? Whatever your thing....Peace and stay warm...you definitely deserve a hot toddy either way you drink..with or without the "booze"...Sarah

Also I am sorry...

Also WOW on that ice in port..thanks for photo...

Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Hi Limoguy :)

Yes, plenty of ice indeed. Here is a photo of the Splendor docking in NY

last week..

1s_zps9c009c50.jpg:)

My first thought when I looked at that picture was now I know how the saying "Shiver me timbers" came about.

We are lucky. We live in Michigan and both are retired. If we hear of a storm coming within a week of cruising, we head out immediately. Unfortunately, not all people can do that. Hats off to the OP for taking it so graciously.

We just came off the Splendor Cruise this morning, the same one that Limoguy was on.

We had an amazing time. !!!

I believe that we would normally have had a 'warm' day on the second sea day if that nasty 'Canadian Polar Vortex' hadn't showed up that week, bringing the cold front down so far south. (think Atlanta's ice storm)

We had snow on the deck for the first sea day because of that 'polar vortex'. Instead of being a problem, it made for some interesting pics and lots of fodder for conversation to 'break the ice' ;) with new, fellow cruisers. One of the ship's officers said that this was only the second time in his 18 years of sailing that he has seen snow on a ship that he was sailing on.

Cape Canaveral was warm but rainy. The next three days were HOT…. Nassau, Frreeport and the third sea day. Hot HOt HOT :D

Yesterday was an indoor day spent relaxing and just enjoying the last day of the cruise. I would definitely sail again from NYC in the winter but one never knows what's up with the weather at any time of the year. You could have all rainy days even in the summer.

We had a slow drive home because of the snow storm but everything went well. We heard that flights were cancelled and wondered what would happen for those who didn't make their flights, etc. for this next cruise.…

So sorry to the OP . I really am hoping that they postponed the departure for your sake...

The polar vortex isn't from Canada ... It's from the North Pole!

Don't blame us, haha. ;). It's been way colder/snowier this year for us too in Toronto. Definitely not a normal winter.

Glad you had fun on your cruise!

Any chance of you getting a cheap flight to Orlando and drive to Port Canaveral to catch up to the ship? You still have a day or two to get there and still enjoy the rest of your cruise.

It would be illegal for Carnival to allow the OP to board in Port Canaveral and then transport him/her to New York.

Edited by MadManOfBethesda
make comment gender neutral

It would be illegal for Carnival to allow the OP to board in Port Canaveral and then transport him/her to New York.

Actually in a previous thread it was stated that if there is a reason beyond your control like mechanical failure on an airplane that if you show proof of that then you can make arrangements to meet the ship elsewhere. If normal public transportation was shut down due to weather as stated then that might have been possible.

Actually in a previous thread it was stated that if there is a reason beyond your control like mechanical failure on an airplane that if you show proof of that then you can make arrangements to meet the ship elsewhere. If normal public transportation was shut down due to weather as stated then that might have been possible.

That would only be true if the OP picked up the cruise in a foreign port. It would be illegal for Carnival to allow the OP to board this ship in Florida and then debark in NY. CCL does not have the authority to waive this provision of the PVSA just because it wasn't the passenger's fault.

The polar vortex isn't from Canada ... It's from the North Pole!

Don't blame us, haha. ;). It's been way colder/snowier this year for us too in Toronto. Definitely not a normal winter.

Glad you had fun on your cruise!

I am a Canadian!! :D

And the polar vortex hit our cruise after coming from Canada. ;)