Just Back from Breakaway 2/2-2/9

KevinsCruising

Just returned from the Breakaway. Will try to answer any questions. We are all saddened by the event that happened on board so I will try to give a honest review.

The ship itself is a beautiful ship. It definitely has a New York feeling on board. The food was outstanding even in the main dining room. We have cruised many NCL ships and it looks as if the food had a significant improvement. We did LeBistro and that restaurant has never failed us. The Staff is the best. Never had a complaint about the NCL staff. Always friendly and treat you like family. Rock of Ages really does ROCK ! It is a great show and highly recommended. Also saw Burn the Floor. Dancers do a great job. Howl at the Moon was excellent the first night but when we went the last night, it was constantly repeated by the musicians, who play requests that whoever tips the largest will get their songs played. The water front is only open at sea days which I do not understand. Many people stay on the ship and would enjoy the waterfront but it is closed. The pool area is a very weird set up. Totally different then the Jewel class ships. The so called children or family pool is between the slides and children's spray pool. Not a very enjoyable place for swimming. The liquor bars that are in the middle make it harder to watch your children ( not making excuses) The ship is a more adult friendly ship then children I feel. There is also no Spinnaker Lounge which I think is a huge mistake. All the events are held in the Atrium or H2O. The Atrium is not large enough to accommodate these events. The overflow of people go to O'Sheehans which overlooks the Atrium and then that bar is over crowded. If you enjoy the White Hot Night, it is not there on the Breakaway. They do a GLOW party instead at H20. It is a different feel then the White Hot. No more angels with wings greeting you and the dancers dancing there with you. The open H20 gives the party a totally different feeling. And if the weather is cold then it really is not that much fun. I prefer the White Hot in the Spinnaker any day. If you have ever seen the Bliss Lounge on the Gem then you will be disappointed. Much smaller, just a rectangle with lights, bar. Some seats in the back and small tables. No cool looking furniture and beds. No official size bowling lanes. They have a small version of bowling in OSheehans with balls the size of grapefruits and the pins on strings. Can be fun but they charge $5.00 per game per person. Should be less and more people would do it.

We had a good time but the Breakaway is not for me. We will go back to the Gem. We mis the Bali Hai The bar on the Gem by the pool always had burgers and fries and fingers food. On the Breakaway you have to go to the buffet to get food. The Breakaway also does not do deck BarB-ques. So that is also something we enjoy. When we were in port, we mostly stayed on the ship for a pool day, except for Great Stirrup Cay and only an quick walk in Nassau then back to the pool. If you are expecting to hear the band play by the pool during the day... forget it. One day they had no music at all. Someone had to ask to put on the radio. Also the only pool games we saw was a bean bag toss. Definitely miss the Spinnaker. If NCL is designing all their new ships similar to this, it is a mistake. The Breakaway has a private deck area but it costs money to go. Ice bar.. you have to pay 20.00 just to walk inside and no they will not let you just take a peek... I tried. The ship does have that Manhattan feeling but for me, I go on vacation to get away from the city. I really do not want to bring the city with me.

Dont get me wrong... its a beautiful ship but we did miss all the little things that makes NCL special to us on board.

Thanks

Just returned from the Breakaway. Will try to answer any questions. We are all saddened by the event that happened on board so I will try to give a honest review.

The ship itself is a beautiful ship. It definitely has a New York feeling on board. The food was outstanding even in the main dining room. We have cruised many NCL ships and it looks as if the food had a significant improvement. We did LeBistro and that restaurant has never failed us. The Staff is the best. Never had a complaint about the NCL staff. Always friendly and treat you like family. Rock of Ages really does ROCK ! It is a great show and highly recommended. Also saw Burn the Floor. Dancers do a great job. Howl at the Moon was excellent the first night but when we went the last night, it was constantly repeated by the musicians, who play requests that whoever tips the largest will get their songs played. The water front is only open at sea days which I do not understand. Many people stay on the ship and would enjoy the waterfront but it is closed. The pool area is a very weird set up. Totally different then the Jewel class ships. The so called children or family pool is between the slides and children's spray pool. Not a very enjoyable place for swimming. The liquor bars that are in the middle make it harder to watch your children ( not making excuses) The ship is a more adult friendly ship then children I feel. There is also no Spinnaker Lounge which I think is a huge mistake. All the events are held in the Atrium or H2O. The Atrium is not large enough to accommodate these events. The overflow of people go to O'Sheehans which overlooks the Atrium and then that bar is over crowded. If you enjoy the White Hot Night, it is not there on the Breakaway. They do a GLOW party instead at H20. It is a different feel then the White Hot. No more angels with wings greeting you and the dancers dancing there with you. The open H20 gives the party a totally different feeling. And if the weather is cold then it really is not that much fun. I prefer the White Hot in the Spinnaker any day. If you have ever seen the Bliss Lounge on the Gem then you will be disappointed. Much smaller, just a rectangle with lights, bar. Some seats in the back and small tables. No cool looking furniture and beds. No official size bowling lanes. They have a small version of bowling in OSheehans with balls the size of grapefruits and the pins on strings. Can be fun but they charge $5.00 per game per person. Should be less and more people would do it.

We had a good time but the Breakaway is not for me. We will go back to the Gem. We mis the Bali Hai The bar on the Gem by the pool always had burgers and fries and fingers food. On the Breakaway you have to go to the buffet to get food. The Breakaway also does not do deck BarB-ques. So that is also something we enjoy. When we were in port, we mostly stayed on the ship for a pool day, except for Great Stirrup Cay and only an quick walk in Nassau then back to the pool. If you are expecting to hear the band play by the pool during the day... forget it. One day they had no music at all. Someone had to ask to put on the radio. Also the only pool games we saw was a bean bag toss. Definitely miss the Spinnaker. If NCL is designing all their new ships similar to this, it is a mistake. The Breakaway has a private deck area but it costs money to go. Ice bar.. you have to pay 20.00 just to walk inside and no they will not let you just take a peek... I tried. The ship does have that Manhattan feeling but for me, I go on vacation to get away from the city. I really do not want to bring the city with me.

Dont get me wrong... its a beautiful ship but we did miss all the little things that makes NCL special to us on board.

Thanks

Thanks for the very honest review. We are on the Breakaway March 2 but we booked it more out of curiosity, we love the Gem. I guess I have to get it out of my system. I have already booked the Gem again.

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your trip as much as on the Gem. I think Gem is my favorite NCL ship (so far) so I totally understand!

We're heading out on Breakaway in two weeks and based on your review, I think we will enjoy Breakaway a lot. We're not from Manhattan, and many of the things you miss are things that annoy us. Hopefully NCL will keep offering both the Gem and the Breakaway so people have a choice!

What about the Uptown Bar and Grill? I thought that was and outdoor area up in the pool area and available for burgers and such during the day in lieu of the buffet? I haven't been on the ship, so maybe I misunderstand.

That's correct (and similarly Flamingo on Getaway). It took us a bit to discover this little hideaway - and they have a nice little food selection.

To the OP - thanks for your review! I'm glad to hear you had a nice cruise.

Thank you for your honest review. I'm glad to hear about the food and service being very good!!

Question:

Was weather the reason the Waterfront was closed??

That feature, along with Spice H2O are part of the reasons why we booked Breakaway this July to Bermuda!

Thanks in advance.

Happy Cruising!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by meatball_nyc

Thanks for the review. Your review is a first to mention how the waterfront is closed on port days. That is a shame. Nothing like watching a sunset before the ship sails or just taking in the view of the island. I wonder why they close it down.

Hi. We got off the Breakaway the day you boarded.

I agree the atrium is not the best place for some of the events they hold, and that there is no similar indoor place on this ship like Spinnaker Lounge. Spinnaker is one of my favorite spots.

I think re: Waterfront being "closed", you can still sit out there but there is no food or drink service, right? It was this way on the 2 nighter.

Thanks for your review. :)

Edited by mizlorinj

Never been on NCL before - what is spinnaker? What was the weather like on the first and last days?

I'll be on breakaway at the end of next month - previously toured her over the summer tho. Very impressed with everything except the pools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never been on NCL before - what is spinnaker? What was the weather like on the first and last days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spinnaker Lounge is a fantastic bar that is on some of the smaller boats. I had the pleasure of grabbing a drink in the Spinnaker Lounge on the Gem.

Like, Mommyto2Girls, I'll be on the March 2nd sailing of Breakaway. It's funny, but without having even set foot on her (my only cruise ever was a CTN on the Gem), I already know that while I'll no doubt have an awesome time, it's likely that I'll take my next cruise on the Gem. That boat was fantastic. I loved their version of Bliss, loved the theater... really just loved everything about Gem.

Richard/Tralfie

What about the Uptown Bar and Grill? I thought that was and outdoor area up in the pool area and available for burgers and such during the day in lieu of the buffet? I haven't been on the ship, so maybe I misunderstand.

The Uptown bar and grill makes great rubens and pastrami sandwiches. It really isn't outside. Its towards the back of the ship on the side with a roof and glass sides. Its nice but its not near the pools like the Bali Hai or the small buffet at the bar by the Gem.

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your trip as much as on the Gem. I think Gem is my favorite NCL ship (so far) so I totally understand!

We're heading out on Breakaway in two weeks and based on your review, I think we will enjoy Breakaway a lot. We're not from Manhattan, and many of the things you miss are things that annoy us. Hopefully NCL will keep offering both the Gem and the Breakaway so people have a choice!

I agree , choices are great to have and especially for me if they offer both in the NYC area since I am from New Jersey.

Gem is a great ship. Breakaway is even better. what the new MDR menu like??

I see from a Getaway poster that. The Getaway MDR. is doing surf and turf on the first night. Is the Breakaway doing this now?

Edited by jakeT

Thanks for the review. Your review is a first to mention how the waterfront is closed on port days. That is a shame. Nothing like watching a sunset before the ship sails or just taking in the view of the island. I wonder why they close it down.

You can still walk on the deck and there are chairs but the services are closed. For example Maltings bar would be closed on the waterfront, Ocean blue food service was closed at their section, etc. I did have a lobster roll on a sea day. Very good. 10 dollars.

Gem is a great ship. Breakaway is even better. what the new MDR menu like??

I see from a Getaway poster that. The Getaway MDR. is doing surf and turf on the first night. Is the Breakaway doing this now?

Yes, the first night was surf and turf and very good. Nice size lobster tail too.

We have sailed many times on the Gem and her sister ship the Jewel. We have also done Royal Caribbean, Princess and Celebrity.

We were on the inaugural cruise of the Breakaway in May 2013. The first 2 days we hated it...to big, felt like we had to plan everything because you had to make reservations for shows, etc.

On the 3rd day I readjusted my thinking and said -- OK this is the first time I am cruising...how do I feel (it was the first time on such a large ship). When I changed my expectations I started enjoying the ship. DH and I were not totally convinced.

We have been back on the Breakaway twice. Once in October and that was a perfect cruise -- perfect weather, perfect service, perfect relaxation and then again Christmas week.

We both still miss the Jewel. We will probably book the Gem soon but if you readjust your thinking just a tad you will enjoy the Breakaway. I love all the places around the ship you can sit quietly and have a conversation. I love the Waterfront areas that you can sit at during sea days. I found booking shows was not that bad and if we decided last minute to see a show we would just go to the standby line.

My DH still is not a big fan of the ship and mega ships are not for everyone which is why the cruise lines keep their smaller ships I am sure.

I do hate the set up of buffet and usually go there only for a snack. The Manhatten Room is to loud for us with the band playing but I do love it in there with the people dancing to band. Taste and Savor are nice second choices. The Scallops gratin as an appetizer were to die for!

Sorry the cruise was not fun for you, Kevinscruising, but keep cruising on the ships you enjoy!

You can still walk on the deck and there are chairs but the services are closed. For example Maltings bar would be closed on the waterfront, Ocean blue food service was closed at their section, etc. I did have a lobster roll on a sea day. Very good. 10 dollars.

Kevin, we ate on the Waterfront ( Cagney's ) in Port Canaveral, had drinks at the the bars on port and sea days and used the cigar smoking area most days. In October our cabin was right above "Fat Cat's and I assure it was open every night as we could hear the noise until late at night. Im pretty sure its open all the time but not as full of outside diners as you would expect.

We have been on Breakaway once and have booked again for May. We have traveled on Gem several times--just returned 7 Feb from a 9 day cruise. While we enjoy the Gem and especially this time, as we were in an Owner's Suite, we LOVED the Breakaway. I think the food, service, and entertainment on the Breakaway is far superior to the Gem. Our concierge on the Gem, Pearl, was outstanding but some of the other little things could be improved--like the "priority" disembarkation where we were left waiting over 40 min past the time we were told to meet.

We will go on the Gem again--there is nothing really wrong with it--they have the best "washy washy" young lady ever at the Garden Cafe! But we just loved the design and style of the Breakaway--it never felt like a mega ship while we were on it. However, I should qualify that--we only go in The Haven so that shapes our experience much differently.

Thank you, OP, for your review.

Just got off the Gem February 7, 9 days to the Caribbean. Was also on the Breakaway in November to Bahamas. While on the Breakaway I missed the Spinnaker and the shows, the Atrium on Breakaway doesn't do it for me as far as having the shows there. I did not like the pool layout on the Breakaway, prefer it on the Gem. And I loved the two BBQ's we had last week. Miss that when on the Breakaway. Love the White Hot Party, the 80's party and 70's party on the Breakaway don't have the same feel. Entertainment (Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor, etc) on the Breakaway can't be beat, rooms layouts better especially the bathroom and shower on the Breakaway. Gem needs some repairs (cosmetic) lots of torn cushions, etc. Bottom line I loved both ships but would probably take Breakaway if I could, Gem would be second in line, but whatever ship is going where I want to go, thats the one I will be on. As you can see it's Breakaway again in 34 days.

I will still be cruising. Glad there is a choice out there so we can pick what we like. Whats good for one isn't always for the other. Freedom of choice. I do see myself booking more for the ship then the destinations though. As long as it is going somewhere warm and tropical :D When I came home today, I had to shovel our cars out of a lot of ice. Wishing I was back on Great Stirrup Cay !