Bicycle Storage?

wpgcycler

I am in Florida for a week prior to my cruise and will have my bicycle with me. Is there somewhere on the ship I can store the bike (I've heard of these "biker cruises" where they actually take their motorcycles so there must be somewhere?)?

The other alternative is to leave it at the hotel and pick it up on the way to the airport after the cruise - bit of a pain though and introduces a potential risk in the event the ship is late returning or dis-embarkation is a nightmare. Thanks

Have you called? I bet they may very well accommodate you.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No, not about this issue. With the number of reports on here about erroneous info being disseminated by the Celebrity call centre however, I'm not sure it would be all that helpful.

Could you drop it off at the airport before embarking and have someone in Winnipeg pick it up for you? I don't know if there would be much of a difference in price sending it ahead versus bringing it with you.

it's quite expensive to send as freight. It's no charge for me to take it as luggage due to my status with the airline. Even without status it's only $50.

it's quite expensive to send as freight. It's no charge for me to take it as luggage due to my status with the airline. Even without status it's only $50.

Too bad. If all else fails, box it, put a luggage tag on it and put it on your balcony! :)

We saw a couple with folding bicycles. They unfolded them at ports and took off on their own to tour the cites - I thought it was brilliant. They probably just stored them in their cabins, but I don't know how easy it would be for you to do that. I hope you can find a way to bring your bike along!

I don't know the reason for wanting to take your bike but there are other options that may be cheaper.

There are places that rent bikes for a week.

A friend was in Fl for a few months and made arrangements for a buy and sell. He was able to buy a bike that a rental company uses and they agreed to purchase it for a set price when he was done. It was cheaper than renting.

Others have purchased bikes from places

like the Salvation Army, Goodwill and etc and then donated them when done.

Pick one up at Wally Mart and then return it when done. :eek:

Just some ideas to kick around.

🚢🌅🍸🍻

We saw a couple with folding bicycles. They unfolded them at ports and took off on their own to tour the cites - I thought it was brilliant. They probably just stored them in their cabins, but I don't know how easy it would be for you to do that. I hope you can find a way to bring your bike along!

Folding bikes are a great way to travel -- we took ours on a cruise to Bermuda a few years ago. Because they fit into their own suitcase, they were easy to stow until we docked. Once assembled, they were a little more cumbersome as we had to navigate around them in our OV cabin (we were careful to keep them well away from the bedding and other furniture).

We sought permission from the cruise line (not Celebrity) before embarking, and were sent a waiver to sign and return. At no time did they challenge us as we were leaving or returning to the ship with the bikes. If you don't intend to use your bike during the cruise, you may be able to bring it on board in a box or large plastic bag (available from some of the airlines) and prop it up against the wall in your cabin.

Hope it works out for you.

Thanks, I'm intrigued by folding bikes and hope to one day find one that works for me as well as the budget required for the purchase. For the time being, I have to make do with 2 bikes - one for winter and one for summer, the summer one for which I use an inflatable travel case to transport the partially disassembled bike when traveling by air. I don't plan to use the bike while on the cruise and am simply looking for the best way to store it while ensuring it is readily accessible for the trip to the airport.

case_0.jpg

That is an interesting looking case.

I believe that most cruise lines do not restrict the number of pieces of luggage one takes on board, so I don't see why you would be prevented from having it in your cabin; having the wheels will make it easy to move around as required, and it may fit upright in a corner. It would be interesting to know if there are golfers who cruise with their clubs, since the case looks to be about the size of two golf bags.

It might be a good idea to check with the cruise line, or a travel agent who specializes in cruises.

Enjoy your pre-cruise ride; it sounds like you will have the best of both worlds (in terms of a vacation).

I don't know the reason for wanting to take your bike but there are other options that may be cheaper.

There are places that rent bikes for a week.

A friend was in Fl for a few months and made arrangements for a buy and sell. He was able to buy a bike that a rental company uses and they agreed to purchase it for a set price when he was done. It was cheaper than renting.

Others have purchased bikes from places

like the Salvation Army, Goodwill and etc and then donated them when done.

Pick one up at Wally Mart and then return it when done. :eek:

Just some ideas to kick around.

Do you mean buy one at WalMart; and, then return same for a refund?

I am in Florida for a week prior to my cruise and will have my bicycle with me. Is there somewhere on the ship I can store the bike (I've heard of these "biker cruises" where they actually take their motorcycles so there must be somewhere?)?

The other alternative is to leave it at the hotel and pick it up on the way to the airport after the cruise - bit of a pain though and introduces a potential risk in the event the ship is late returning or dis-embarkation is a nightmare. Thanks

Youre going on a cruise on a bike, ive heard it all now.