Butler...what happens if?......

Babyeddiedog

You're in the shower, or can't get out of bed for some reason ;) and you ordered breakfast to be delivered the night before. Does the butler wait a while when let themself in ?

The same question goes for afternoon snacks.

I'm guessing it depends if you have your do not disturb displayed or not. If you are in do not disturb mode, I assume they would call your room first.

Edited by duce95

You're in the shower, or can't get out of bed for some reason ;) and you ordered breakfast to be delivered the night before. Does the butler wait a while when let themself in ?

The same question goes for afternoon snacks.

We are going to be in our first suite this year, I wondered the same thing, I thought if you lock the door from the inside they can't open it but I am probably wrong, maybe someone will have an answer, I sure hope so.

The butler won't enter your room if you have "Do Not Distub" on the door (or whatever you call that message thing) which we always do prior to bed, plus put on the deadbolt. Generally, if you order breakfast via the hang-tag the night before, the butler will call to tell you when he is ready to deliver breakfast.. We use this as out wake-up call. If you don't answer, I would suspect he would call again until you do. You could always answer the call, tell the butler you will be going in the shower and ask him to deliver and set up the table in your absence. For afternoon snacks, again, I would put up the Do Not Disturb, and the butler would then wait until later to deliver.

Many people forget to remove the Do Not Disturb. Very often, the steward will see you leaving and change the sign for you. If it's up for a long time, I would imagine after first leaving you alone, then several calls, the butler might try to gently open the door and call in. If you truly don't want to be disturbed, put up the Do Not Disturb and also deadbolt the door. If you have pre-ordered something, you will get a phone call. For something like afternoon snacks, the butler will simply not deliver until the sign is down and perhaps you won't get the automatically delivered snack at all.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

I wouldn't order something to be delivered unless I knew I was going to be available to receive it. Why would you ask for breakfast then put a do-not-disturb sign out so it can't be delivered? That makes no sense.

I would do it every time.

You do not want others to disturb you whilst you sleep, but want breakfast in bed.

Simples.....

I would do it every time.

You do not want others to disturb you whilst you sleep, but want breakfast in bed.

Simples.....

I see your other post now that the butler calls first, which makes more sense. Otherwise I'd be surprised to learn that the do-not-disturb doesn't apply to the butler.

On the first day the butler will come to your room to introduce himself. At that moment you can tell him or her your whishes for the next days. If you want. Such as the time you want to have breakfast, when you do not want to be disturbed, what you want to have in the minibar et cetera. Or if he can wait a minute if there is no immediate reply. You can also tell the butler he can come in anytime, even if the sign is on DND. We have done this a few times and it worked out fine. It can be nice when you walk from your bedroom into the sitting room and suddenly find a treat or a breakfast. The attitude of the butlers is: don't look, don't tell. It is a matter of personal taste, of course.

Edited by Aladdin1968

Generally, if you order breakfast via the hang-tag the night before, the butler will call to tell you when he is ready to deliver breakfast.. We use this as out wake-up call.

Robin

isdoo - From experience staff always call via the phone.

FAB idea. I love CC. What fantastic answers, thank you to everyone. I was beginning to think it would be a bit of a passion killer having to get out of bed to answer the door, or put the Do Not Disturb notice on it.

In suites for the last several years, most recent was December. Very different experience on 4 ships so far, mostly DOS. No matter the situation, without a do not disturb sign, butler rings doorbell, waits 15 seconds and enters. With do not disturb sign, butler rings bell twice for about 30 seconds total and enters. Same routine with breakfast ordered, rings and enters. We always keep the bedroom door closed and have never had an issue. He/she does not enter bedrooms or bathrooms. Never been an issue. This past cruise the butler was out in the hall with orders for about 6 suites and never slowed down, he had them in the rooms and finished in about 10 minutes for everyone.

From experience staff always call via the phone.

From my experience, the only time the butler has ever called was when my bf had arranged with the butler to take my bday gift that he had hidden under the bed and asked him if he could have it wrapped. We were eating dinner in the Haven restaurant and we accidentally left the Do Not Disturb on. Our butler knew we weren't in the room and called the restaurant and asked permission to enter our cabin bc we left the DND on.

One time I did not have the DND on and I had just stepped out of the shower. He came looking for my bf to ask him something. He rang the bell, waited and came in. He was more embarrassed that he came in. It was totally my fault for forgetting to put the DND on.

I've never had the butler call first. I have been out on the balcony and when i came back in, there were sandwiches on the table. He evidently rang the bell and I did not answer, so he came in and dropped them off. They will not enter though, if you put the deadbolt on.

Ok, I find this very strange... So MOST PEOPLE have pre-ordered breakfast by putting the hang-tag out before and NOT gotten a call before the butler served breakfast??? I am talking about breakfast only, pre-ordered, NOT snacks or something you have called in minutes before..

I find this strange because on every single one of my sailings in suites, all 15 of them, probably close to 50 breakfasts delivered, the butler has called first before every single pre-ordered breakfast delivery.. I can't be the only one...

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Ok, I find this very strange... So MOST PEOPLE have pre-ordered breakfast by putting the hang-tag out before and NOT gotten a call before the butler served breakfast??? I am talking about breakfast only, pre-ordered, NOT snacks or something you have called in minutes before..

I find this strange because on every single one of my sailings in suites, all 15 of them, probably close to 50 breakfasts delivered, the butler has called first before every single pre-ordered breakfast delivery.. I can't be the only one...

Robin

Your Not . This has been our experience as well ..

Always called first for breakfast .. Knocks and lets himself in for snacks and the other little things .. If im in the shower he makes it known he's there with a little announcement and goes about his duty. Never a problem .. ;)

Last cruise was pretty representative of all our others.

Butler- I will bring you breakfast at 7, ok?

Wife- Will you call first?

Butler- Why?

Wife- In case we're not up yet.

Butler- Would you like it delivered later?

Wife- No at 7.

Butler- Would madam like me to show her how to place a wake up call?

Wife- No we will be ready at 7.

Perhaps, based on some of the other posts, some should talk to the butler about their desires. We've never had a problem with him letting himself in.

Edited by rvsullivan

Butler- Why?

Wife- No at 7.

Perhaps, based on some of the other posts, some should talk to the butler about their desires. We've never had a problem with him letting himself in.

I think I would have a problem with a Butler who said that to me.

All our cruises have been Haven Suite or DOS, the Butler has called every time for our breakfast and we order every morning (no we never make it to Cagney's). We never do a wake up call because they call and wake us on their way to the room. Maybe it is the luck of who the Butler is.

Butler- Why?

Wife- No at 7.

Translation: I would like it delivered at 7, but I might not be up. :rolleyes: Score 1 point for the butler.

Yeah, in watching the second morning in the Haven, he was in the hall with breakfast for 6 suites that all wanted 7 am breakfast. If he had to wait even 5 or 10 minutes for each one to get "ready" for breakfast that they had scheduled. Some would have received their breakfast about an hour later. He had all six delivered while I sat in the Haven with one cup of coffee.

Yeah, in watching the second morning in the Haven, he was in the hall with breakfast for 6 suites that all wanted 7 am breakfast. If he had to wait even 5 or 10 minutes for each one to get "ready" for breakfast that they had scheduled. Some would have received their breakfast about an hour later. He had all six delivered while I sat in the Haven with one cup of coffee.

Thanks for your post:) To make things easier for all perhaps it might be better for us to order breakfast for 8:00 am. It will make no difference to us and DD will be on West coast time so she might prefer a later breakfast.