Happy hour question

louthebowler

happy hour is at different times in different bars on different cruises-- you need to check the daily program and/or ask the bar staff.

On our Dec 22 cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, I believe that it was 4-5 pm in the Crows Nest and 5-6 pm in the Ocean bar and sometime late in the Northern Lights.

Happy hour special prices are limited to drinks up to $7 and they cannot contain premium liquor. it's usually buy 1 at regular price and get a 2nd for $1.

One thing to add - the 2nd drink for a dollar has to be the same drink as the 1st. For example, if you want a mojito for $6.95 and your spouse wants a rum and coke for $6.25, you can get two of each, but you can't mix and match.

Thanks, it's good to know. Every little helps, after air fares and cruise paid for, getting one or two drinks for $1 leaves more money for trips.

Remember, the tips for drinks are added to your bar bill each time!! No need to add extra there. But it will leave you more money for extra for your room steward!!

Glad to help. There are no happy hours on the first day, but check your daily program on subsequent days. They're listed beside each lounge or bar in the program. You can sometimes find sail away specials at the Lido or aft pools when you leave certain ports. I don't remember if those are in the program or not.

Remember, the tips for drinks are added to your bar bill each time!! No need to add extra there. But it will leave you more money for extra for your room steward!!

Tips ! I'm British, we don't tip. Only joking, all tips etc already saved up for and accounted for, I try to be prepared for everything but will make sure I've got extra $ just in case.

15 days to go, can't wait!::

To add to happy hour, if you spend a lot of time in the bar (like someone I know), you learn they also serve appetizers during that hour. There are not stacks of them though, so its a good idea to be there from the start or get to know the bartenders.

RuthC to the rescue. Sorry but we all tend to use a lot of shortforms and to be truthful, I didn't want to go and look how to spell Nieuw Amsterdam!!

Now I partly understand, but you said I had been on it which confused me, I haven't been on any HA ships yet!

Now I partly understand, but you said I had been on it which confused me, I haven't been on any HA ships yet!

ah Lou I have to claim a senior moment. I must have been reading someone else's post before I replied to yours. Of course, as you state, you haven't been on the NA and are new to HAL. :o

I think you will enjoy the Eurodam. If you like Asian food, make sure to have a meal in the Tamarind restaurant. It is extra charge, I think $15 per person, but so worth it. And that coming from people who normally don't do extra charge restaurants. We took my DSIL (dear sister-in-law) for her birthday last year and everyone enjoyed their meal immensely and the service is super. If you have the chance, also go to the Happy Hour at the Silk Den which is across from the Tamarind. Same drinks or deals as other happy hours when they have it but the lounge itself is worth the trip.

yes, the Tamarind sounds nice, so I'm sure we will try it out. Unless of course you have had another senior moment and are talking about a completely different restaurant!!;)

I'm in a happy mood as we booked a guarantee balcony and just seen our cabin has been allocated, number 6117 which looks fine, no obstructions as far as I can see.

To add to happy hour, if you spend a lot of time in the bar (like someone I know), you learn they also serve appetizers during that hour. There are not stacks of them though, so its a good idea to be there from the start or get to know the bartenders.

No appetizers on the Maasdam during the Jan 17 & 27th cruises. Most of the times we had to ask to even get the nuts.

Appetizers are usually served sometime before dinner service starts. So, it really depends on what time your particular happy hour is. In the past, the Ocean Bar was usually pretty reliable for hors d'oeuvres. The Crow's Nest, not as much.

Your ship might vary, so it doesn't hurt to ask. Don't eat too much or you'll spoil your appetite for dinner. Keep your arms and legs inside the bar at all times. Please wait until happy hour comes to a complete stop before exiting. Don't forget to check for personal belongings.

We rarely go to Happy Hour.

One -- we don't like having it from 4 -5 PM.

Two -- we have been on several different ships and they did not serve appetizers during that time. Appetizers were served from 5 or 5:30 to 6 or 6:30 and from 7 - 8.

Three --when we did go a couple of times it was so mobbed we waited and waited until one of the 2 workers took our orders and then waited and waited for them to be served.

Four -- our drink of choice is not offered for the Buy one drink and get the second for a $1.

The thing that's kind of fun about happy hour - IF you cruise by yourself or just A couple - it's a nice place to meet people and chat; That said -THAT is why its set at "Pre-dinner" times [ 4:30-5:30 AND 7 - 8] Also it's a nice place to RELAX with your new friends as you make them,. On our last cruise we met up with a few from our CC larger group and got to know them/ on another cruise we solidified a "friendship" with tablemates/ on another we just introduced ourselves to our neighbors and invited them. It CAN be an experience of opening doors to friendships! GOOD luck!!!!!! A :)

The thing that's kind of fun about happy hour - IF you cruise by yourself or just A couple - it's a nice place to meet people and chat; That said -THAT is why its set at "Pre-dinner" times [ 4:30-5:30 AND 7 - 8] Also it's a nice place to RELAX with your new friends as you make them,. On our last cruise we met up with a few from our CC larger group and got to know them/ on another cruise we solidified a "friendship" with tablemates/ on another we just introduced ourselves to our neighbors and invited them. It CAN be an experience of opening doors to friendships! GOOD luck!!!!!! A :)

Well said..we usually sail alone and have made new friends during the pre-dinner cocktail time..

Do try a Wang Wang. I had my first one on my last cruise and was hooked. Yummy drink.

Is the Wang Wang offered within the Happy Hour price limit? I have never seen it on HAL's drink menu and always forget to ask. This time I have written in my notes so really looking forward to trying 1 (or 2!!) on my upcoming Zuiderdam cruise.:):)

okay, I'm clueless again.

What's a Wang Wang

3/4 oz*Vodka

3/4 oz*Tequila

3/4 oz*Brandy

3/4 oz*Bourbon

3/4 oz*Scotch Whiskey

3/4 oz*Rum

cubes (Fill to Top)*Ice

(Fill With)*Orange Juice

(Fill With)*Pineapple Juice

dash*Grenadine

It's on par with a Long Island Iced Tea. I think the ship's bartenders might cut back to half ounces, but even so, it's relatively potent and deceptively non-strong to the taste.