Weird question - Taking food packed for excursions..

mnsweeps

Isn't the problem with taking un-packaged foods off the ship is that it is against the laws of the port you are entering? The country you are entering does not want you to bring these foods into port. My understanding was if found you could be fined heavily. Am I incorrect?

no, you are not incorrect. you are right. laws, customs rules, etc. that's why you do not take foods that are not packaged off the ship, whether it is convenient, will save you money, or anything else. it is not allowed. everyone should be respectful of this.

In my party of 5, 3 are vegetarians and 1 is diabetic. I was thinking I should pack some food from the restaurants(breakfast) in the morning when we go out for excursions...Just some fruits, snack or a sandwich. Is taking food to go from the restaurants a taboo?

Sorry you cant take food off the ship.

Point was, I think....I sail from a US port, any food coming on that ship has to meet US standards to begin with, some of the most stringent standards in the world today. The possibility of contamination? Well, that's where personal opinion comes in....Mousey brings a nice approach to the conversation; it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

I've always tried to be a respectful traveler, not an arrogant tourist, my mind stays open....

Thanks for the reply, I see your point. Luckily I do not have any diet issues so I have not had any problems with eating at the ports, but if I did I would be taking food off with me if I had to.

Thanks, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Isn't the problem with taking un-packaged foods off the ship is that it is against the laws of the port you are entering? The country you are entering does not want you to bring these foods into port. My understanding was if found you could be fined heavily. Am I incorrect?

Yes, the fines are quite hefty usually.

You are also traveling to places where the police force/justice system is.... well..... not quite the same as in the U.S. or Canada. Corruption is common. Bribes are expected. My last few trips to Mexico they have had dogs at the pier. Hopefully they just fine the folks and dispose of the items but certainly wouldn't want to deal with their jail system!

I'll see if I can find (or if my DH knows) the fines when coming back to the U.S. You see "amnesty" bins set up in the customs area usually giving people a chance to get rid of stuff before they are fined. Fresh plant matter, soil, fruit, and some meats/cheeses can't be brought back into the U.S off the ship either - even if those items originated in the U.S.

Here's an interesting article on bringing items back to the U.S. Fines range from $300 to $10,000.

Most foreign countries have similar regulations but fines and specific items will vary. That's why most folks are told prepackaged only - it's easier than trying to navigate the individual laws at each port.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/2008-05-05-food-customs_n.htm

In my party of 5, 3 are vegetarians and 1 is diabetic. I was thinking I should pack some food from the restaurants(breakfast) in the morning when we go out for excursions...Just some fruits, snack or a sandwich. Is taking food to go from the restaurants a taboo?

OMG! NO!

Just like you can't bring food into the US, you can't bring open food into these countries. If there is ANY critter on any of the food that you introduce to that country's ecosystem, and there is no natural defense to that organism present, any kind of natural catastrophe can occur.

You are limited to repackaged processed food. Take some time to read up on the rules.

Most countries don't care about the US not having contaminated food. Driving into Canada years ago the border people asked if we had any fruit. They confiscated our apples and oranges.

Even the great country of California does not trust the US food safety. If you drive into California you go through an agricultural inspection station. They check your fruits and vegetables. They will confiscate anything that looks like it might have had a bug on it at any point in its life.:D

Not sure but before you board the ship buy yourself a few things of the packaged lunchable's That way they are fully closed. Maybe the ones that have the tuna in the sealed package. Stuff that does not need refrigeration.

I would not take food off the ship. I would get anything prepackaged. But sometimes trying new foods from the locals is always fun.

Most countries don't care about the US not having contaminated food. Driving into Canada years ago the border people asked if we had any fruit. They confiscated our apples and oranges.

Even the great country of California does not trust the US food safety. If you drive into California you go through an agricultural inspection station. They check your fruits and vegetables. They will confiscate anything that looks like it might have had a bug on it at any point in its life.:D

Same thing when you leave Hawaii. Your luggage all goes through and agricultural inspection to make sure prohibited plants/fruits aren't leaving the islands and being brought back to the mainland.

Not sure but before you board the ship buy yourself a few things of the packaged lunchable's That way they are fully closed. Maybe the ones that have the tuna in the sealed package. Stuff that does not need refrigeration.

I would not take food off the ship. I would get anything prepackaged. But sometimes trying new foods from the locals is always fun.

There's also a company called "Go Picnic" that makes prepackaged meals that are fairly healthy. They even have gluten free and vegetarian options. They are tough to find (I get them at Target) but we use them hiking, my DH takes them to work since he's outside and doesn't have access to refrigeration or a cooler usually, and I've even taken them on flights.

We always bring snacks on the ship with us for port days. I have a daughter who's blood sugar drops low if she doesn't eat every three hours. Though it is not life threatening, she can become a real grouch! I take prepackaged peanuts, granola bars, jerky, and crackers in our backpack on shore. These always help keep the crankies away (for the entire family too) in the hot Caribbean sun.

Here's an interesting article on bringing items back to the U.S. Fines range from $300 to $10,000.

Most foreign countries have similar regulations but fines and specific items will vary. That's why most folks are told prepackaged only - it's easier than trying to navigate the individual laws at each port.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/2008-05-05-food-customs_n.htm

This is true.

--------------------------------------

OMG! NO!

Just like you can't bring food into the US, you can't bring open food into these countries. If there is ANY critter on any of the food that you introduce to that country's ecosystem, and there is no natural defense to that organism present, any kind of natural catastrophe can occur.

You are limited to repackaged processed food. Take some time to read up on the rules.

This is false.

------------------------------------

While to the simplistic it may be easier to digest (pardon the pun) just to say "you can't take anything except pre-packaged food", it really isn't the case. Specific laws will apply in each port in each country. A banana may be prohibited in Cozumel but permitted in Vancouver. If you understand the logic behind and purpose of the agricultural/food importation restrictions, then it is relatively easy to make good choices.

If you simply take the view "it is illegal to take food into a port", then you are sure to never be wrong, except when posting such a statement somewhere like here.

Edited by T. Advisor King

Hubby is t1 and we took cereal bars around with us as they had sugar and long lasting carbs, we also take kids fruit gel/hypostop gel in case he gets really low through too much walking etc and bars will not be fast enough.

I have an addiction to cheese biscuits with cream cheese in the middle so I was nibbling those.

Edited by Velvetwater

This is true.

--------------------------------------

This is false.

------------------------------------

While to the simplistic it may be easier to digest (pardon the pun) just to say "you can't take anything except pre-packaged food", it really isn't the case. Specific laws will apply in each port in each country. A banana may be prohibited in Cozumel but permitted in Vancouver. If you understand the logic behind and purpose of the agricultural/food importation restrictions, then it is relatively easy to make good choices.

If you simply take the view "it is illegal to take food into a port", then you are sure to never be wrong, except when posting such a statement somewhere like here.

To try to convey the rules of each country to each and every passenger is a Herculean task. This is why the lines just do a very high overview rue of no open food at any port.

To try to convey the rules of each country to each and every passenger is a Herculean task. This is why the lines just do a very high overview rue of no open food at any port.

Which is why each person should do their own research. Research like this on this discussion board hardly meets that requirement as it is nothing but opinions. I took the time today and visited several Caribbean Islands official government sites; in many cases, personal consumption quantities of food including fruits and meats that originated in the US are indeed allowed. In other cases they are clearly not allowed.

So, OP, do your research from the official governments of the islands you will be visiting to get your answer. Posters here are not the "officials" that make the rules.

Go ahead, hammer away people. Guess I'm the fool for thinking the food I get on board is not contaminated and have no common sense related to food safety. How I managed to live 50 years is beyond me :rolleyes:

You are 50 and still don't understand laws are needed to protect countries from the invasion of unwanted pests?

Which is why each person should do their own research. Research like this on this discussion board hardly meets that requirement as it is nothing but opinions. I took the time today and visited several Caribbean Islands official government sites; in many cases, personal consumption quantities of food including fruits and meats that originated in the US are indeed allowed. In other cases they are clearly not allowed.

Do you know the origin of the fruit on board? That is why it's just much easier to say don't bring unpackaged food in to port.

Please, please, please don't take unpackaged items like meats, cheeses, and fruits off the ship!!!! It doesn't matter if you get "caught" - those rules are in place to keep pests out of local ecosystems - pests than could devastate a small islands agriculture if they got onto the island.

Anyone remember the Mediterranean fruit fly? Or the recent Asian Stinkbug outbreak on the east coast? Those were all introduced pests brought in. Don't do this to the places you are visiting. All it takes is one piece of fruit that is infested, brought ashore, and tossed in a trashcan to start it. Cozumel is trying to avoid a palm mite that could wipe out their palm trees, which then gives the birds no place to nest and feed on local insects they keep at bay. It's all intertwined.

The whole sandwich thing has me shaking my head from a food safety standpoint as well..... unless you are also toting a cooler and ice, you are asking for food poisoning with ham sandwiches at the beach in the hot sun all day.

Take some prepackaged cereal, or energy bars, or nuts with you or sample the local cuisine.

The Med Fruit Fly invasion was horrible! Large swaths of SoCal were sprayed with Malathion by cropdusters. Had to get all the animals indoors, cover anything outside (After the third time I was an expert at wrapping the swingset.) Afterwards things had to be washed off. Malathion is very sticky.

This occurred when the temps were high. Windows and vents had to be closed, air conditioing couldn't be run. Fun Times.:mad:

Soon it will be Vector Control trap season, searching for the next pest.

Asian Psylliads on your citrus anyone?

Point was, I think....I sail from a US port, any food coming on that ship has to meet US standards to begin with, some of the most stringent standards in the world today. The possibility of contamination? Well, that's where personal opinion comes in....Mousey brings a nice approach to the conversation; it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

I've always tried to be a respectful traveler, not an arrogant tourist, my mind stays open....

Just got off the 3Day cruise on the Carnival Inspiration from Long Beach, CA. No food comes off even though it was just loaded onboard a few days ago. The CBP officer was making a fruit salad, tons of fruit at his station.

There's also a company called "Go Picnic" that makes prepackaged meals that are fairly healthy. They even have gluten free and vegetarian options. They are tough to find (I get them at Target) but we use them hiking, my DH takes them to work since he's outside and doesn't have access to refrigeration or a cooler usually, and I've even taken them on flights.

Thanks for the info about "Go Picnic". Due to huge issues with my esophagus & stomach, I've had a couple of surgeries that have affected what I can eat. On our upcoming cruise I'll be just fine in a couple of the ports with food choices, but if we're at a beach that only offers burgers & hot dogs, etc... at a bar, I'm sunk. I found the website and will be ordering some. Thanks again!!!